Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Base price wrote: »
    What is the cultivate one?

http://cultivate-cu.ie/

A few credit unions across the west & south got together to launch some lending products targeted at farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What is the cultivate one?

Google it. Started by 3 galway credit unions. Short term loan specifically for farmers with keen interest rate. I see its been rolled out to a few more CUs now down south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭I says

Muckit wrote: »
    Google it. Started by 3 galway credit unions. Short term loan specifically for farmers with keen interest rate. I see its been rolled out to a few more CUs now down south.

Gort, Galway and Ballinasloe

No wait thats supermacs:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I says wrote: »
    Gort, Galway and Ballinasloe

Athenry, Tuam, Ballinasloe AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The farmers journal fodder calculator is gone to paid subscriber only. Here is a link for the teagasc one.

http://interactive.teagasc.ie/Open/FeedChecker

Muckit wrote: »
    Athenry, Tuam, Ballinasloe AFAIK

Was that not pat graces famous fried chicken

The farmers journal fodder calculator is gone to paid subscriber only. Here is a link for the teagasc one.

I’m at 8% deficit for weanlings I’ll be busy in the autumn.
    Stores are out I’m at 50% deficit and no second cut that’s grazed out.

I’m at 8% deficit for weanlings I’ll be busy in the autumn.
    Stores are out I’m at 50% deficit and no second cut that’s grazed out.

For the few cattle I have for a 6month winter- which is standard around here- I’m short 60-70 bales with 16 acres closed but growth on 7 is very poor and if it stayed raining, I’d only be able to bale 5 on total.

For the few cattle I have for a 6month winter- which is standard around here- I’m short 60-70 bales with 16 acres closed but growth on 7 is very poor and if it stayed raining, I’d only be able to bale 5 on total.

That’s tough going

That’s tough going

I’m confident though. Some cattle may get to stay out longer.

Last year I only got 95 bales from both cuts. This year I am already at 120 but the hay barn is empty.

I have friends I could get bales off if I was stuck so I’m good that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That calculator only covers pit or baled silage which there was feck all made around here this year. Is there another one for hay/straw?
    Edit - I have never used one of these calculators before as I work on past experience but I would be interested to know what the calculator states with reference to our farm.

That calculator only covers pit or baled silage which there was feck all made around here this year. Is there another one for hay/straw?

Even the farmers journal one didn’t account for hay but it did account for nuts/meal.

Could be a school project to create an app that covers those.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I can't figure out how that app works its telling me that I need nearly 600 bales this winter. That is carrying the same number of cattle as last year when I got away with using 360 bales. And the way I feed cattle are never without silage in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I can't figure out how that app works its telling me that I need nearly 600 bales this winter. That is carrying the same number of cattle as last year when I got away with using 360 bales. And the way I feed cattle are never without silage in front of them.

There is a big difference in the feeding between a wilted bale of silage and a 3rd cut bale of silage .One Wilted bales which was turned out was feeding 25 dry cow /day and cows on 1 kg of barley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

NOT complaining about the rain.....but I really did need to get that fencing done and it's bucketing out there!! Badly needed and I'm not complaining..... we have had 4inches since yesterday I think which is great. Grass is burnt off the fields around us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

One thing i love about Airbnb is meeting people from around the world who've gone through such different life experiences to me. Just waved off an American couple from Oregon who fell in love with Tweed the calf, they used to feed her apple slices in the morning and the brat had learned to walk up and wait for them outside the fence:D The gentleman was in his 70s & fit as a fiddle, still runs marathons, beat cancer 4 times and his next holiday is to Scotland to go deer hunting! :eek:

Day off today- off to Croker. Might be our last time this year but might not also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

:D Not farming but with Clare playing today;

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Not going so well for ye so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

ganmo wrote: »
    Not going so well for ye so far

Squeaky bum time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

My nerves are shot. Gwan the Banner

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    My nerves are shot. Gwan the Banner

Great excitement. To have only a point at 16mins- I’d have snapped up extra time.
    Hopefully now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Great excitement. To have only a point at 16mins- I’d have snapped up extra time.
    Hopefully now.

Clare is the better team out on the pitch, only for Canning Galway would be well behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That was some game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

whelan2 wrote: »
    That was some game

Something else alright. Brilliant.

• Advertisement

Clare would have been sick if they lost that, some amount of wides in extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Brilliant game. Galway have a lot of injuries now as well.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Great game all right, Clare’s to lose now in thurles. The injuries will take there toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

How much does a contractor charge for spreading slurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

My youngest wants a few sheep and I've sorta promised her I'll get some (they'll help clear up ragwort anyway!). Do I have to arrange with DVO before I get them? I haven't had sheep around here for 30+ years so not quite sure what needs to be done to start.
    Once I get them I hope I can remember all the other stuff that needs doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As you have a herd number already, there's no problem .
    Write in and ask for a flock number, a Flock Register, and a Sales Book.

Thanks Nekarsulm, this may be a project that I'm going to regret - knowing this young one I will buy 10 sheep this year and have 100 by this time next year! She has no interest in cattle so …..
    I'm over in the Sheep Forum atm to see what else I can find out! It will be end August/September before I go shopping anyway.

You better start putting up some sheep fencing so!!!

tanko wrote: »
    You better start putting up some sheep fencing so!!!

Where I'm planning on putting them is ok (says I with fingers crossed).
    Ye will all hear my troubles when I'm taking the country after them though.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

How much does a contractor charge for spreading slurry?

€50ish an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    Clare would have been sick if they lost that, some amount of wides in extra time.

Galway could of been out of sight in the first half also.
    Only listened on radio but sounded like glynn and flynn were short on confidence one way or the other.
    Clares subs made a big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Galway could of been out of sight in the first half also.
    Only listened on radio but sounded like glynn and flynn were short on confidence one way or the other.
    Clares subs made a big difference

Galvin and fitzgerald should have been starting all year and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them named as subs again next week. Galway were out of sight in the first half. Can't beat a good game of hurling. Just in the door now, long aul day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭148multi

KatyMac wrote: »
    Thanks Nekarsulm, this may be a project that I'm going to regret - knowing this young one I will buy 10 sheep this year and have 100 by this time next year! She has no interest in cattle so …..
    I'm over in the Sheep Forum atm to see what else I can find out! It will be end August/September before I go shopping anyway.
    They say sheep farming is like alcoholism, one is too many and a hundred isn't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

148multi wrote: »
    They say sheep farming is like alcoholism, one is too many and a hundred isn't enough.

Great way to meet the neighbours too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭148multi

Great way to meet the neighbours too.

Would it qualify as knowledge transfer ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

148multi wrote: »
    Would it qualify as knowledge transfer ðŸ˜

Be some sort of a transfer of words, knowledgeable or not i dont knkw though.....

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Competitive swimming is a strange thing.
    Eldest is in last day of a five day competition in the NAC.

Here at 6:50, she will stretch for 20 minutes, ~40minute warmup in the pool with a few practice dives.

Then the “event” is 50m butterfly and it will be over in less than 30sec.

Then 30 minute cool down swim.

No expectations of a final today so it’s just chasing a PB.

She ranked 5th fastest female in the country in 100fly earlier in the week.

Then that’s the end of the swim season, but she won’t go more than 48hkurs out of he pool not to loose fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

_Brian wrote: »
    Competitive swimming is a strange thing.
    Eldest is in last day of a five day competition in the NAC.

Here at 6:50, she will stretch for 20 minutes, ~40minute warmup in the pool with a few practice dives.

Then the “event” is 50m butterfly and it will be over in less than 30sec.

Then 30 minute cool down swim.

No expectations of a final today so it’s just chasing a PB.

She ranked 5th fastest female in the country in 100fly earlier in the week.

Then that’s the end of the swim season, but she won’t go more than 48hkurs out of he pool not to loose fitness.

Some commitment, fair play to her. I was watching a piece about Eddie Hall (England strong man) as a child swimming was his thing and he won a lot of competitions but swoppwd over to weightlifting in his late teens. He said he owed a lot to his parents for always supporting his training no matter what else was going on for them

Galvin and fitzgerald should have been starting all year and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them named as subs again next week. Galway were out of sight in the first half. Can't beat a good game of hurling. Just in the door now, long aul day.

I think Fitzgerald is short changed a bit this season alright. Long haul alright, I landed in around 1:30 too but stopped in ennis for a half an hour.

Great boost, irrespective of result next week, it’s great to see them fighting for the ball and for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bullocks wrote: »
    Some commitment, fair play to her. I was watching a piece about Eddie Hall (England strong man) as a child swimming was his thing and he won a lot of competitions but swoppwd over to weightlifting in his late teens. He said he owed a lot to his parents for always supporting his training no matter what else was going on for them

Paul O' Connell is another example of one of the best in athletes in the world who credits competitive swimming (and very supportive parents) as a youngster with giving him a great start in his career.

Swimming is meant to be the healthiest exercise a person can do, rowing is up there too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Swimming is meant to be the healthiest exercise a person can do, rowing is up there too.[/QUOTE]

I reckon if I ever took up rowing I would end up combining it with swimming:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Swimming is meant to be the healthiest exercise a person can do, rowing is up there too.

I reckon if I ever took up rowing I would end up combining it with swimming:)[/QUOTE]

That made me lol.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Limerick only two points ahead, but they look far more in control.

Its bad enough watching these hurling games as a neutral, i cant imagine what its like for supporters of the counties involved. Another nailbiter today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Limerick deserved winners, cork too many wides in normal time and lack of a bench cost them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement