Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is all coming from the era of “influencers” online and in health studios here.

They can say whatever they want and there is absolutely no accountability or comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I wonder how many would keep a dairy free alternative to milk in the fridge?
    There's a couple near me here who are both vegetarian. The wife called to see a dairy farmers mother last Wednesday. She wasn't around so the son had to entertain her for a half hour. He made a pot of tea. Milk in a jug straight from the tank.
    She wanted to know if it was shop milk. No says yer man fresh from the cow.
    Off she goes on a spiel about she wouldnt touch that milk and only buys almond milk or the like. After a long lecture she proceeds to put about a half teaspoon of the raw milk into the tea. Daft as a brush. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

L1985 nothing any of the organisations could do would match what you were able to do.
    The personal connection you have with her gives your words 100 times more power than a statement from bord bia or ifa.

That's how influencers work, they build some kind of connection then use that to sell their products and ideals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

True but I do feel more needs to be done to match what vegans are putting out there. I have no issue with ppl going veggie or vegan as long as it’s an informed choice. But given another friend of mine was shocked we leave calves with cows as she had thought all were taken away at birth it’s a bit frustrating. Please make your choice based on what we do in Ireland and not on US practices and the lowest of the low farmers who are used as the norm. There is so much lies out there it’s no wonder. I’d love a study to come out based on environmental impact from soya or avocados compared to local milk and beef!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

L1985 wrote: »
    True but I do feel more needs to be done to match what vegans are putting out there. I have no issue with ppl going veggie or vegan as long as it’s an informed choice. But given another friend of mine was shocked we leave calves with cows as she had thought all were taken away at birth it’s a bit frustrating. Please make your choice based on what we do in Ireland and not on US practices and the lowest of the low farmers who are used as the norm. There is so much lies out there it’s no wonder. I’d love a study to come out based on environmental impact from soya or avocados compared to local milk and beef!!

I walked past a vegan demo a few evenings ago right in sydneys CBD all wearing black with white masks on showing factory farming its the second one ive seen out here the one before was a sunday afternoon and couldnt get a whole pile of attention, the last one as it was dark youd nearly walk passed it without noticing or avoid it due to the look of them thankfully there was music being played across the street that distracted the masses too.
    The thing i dont get is they cant just accept that people like meat and want to eat it just as they want to eat rabbit food but at least we accept it to a point.
    I also met another vegan along the way who when heard i worked on dairy farms said "oh did you enjoy youre time abusing poor cows there?" Didnt go down well to say the least, she then went on about the health benefits etc i said mate youre here smoking a fag and drinking a $2 bottle of wine and you honestly think you can stand there and tell me meat is unhealthy? Oh but thats different was the response.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wonder how many would keep a dairy free alternative to milk in the fridge?
    There's a couple near me here who are both vegetarian. The wife called to see a dairy farmers mother last Wednesday. She wasn't around so the son had to entertain her for a half hour. He made a pot of tea. Milk in a jug straight from the tank.
    She wanted to know if it was shop milk. No says yer man fresh from the cow.
    Off she goes on a spiel about she wouldnt touch that milk and only buys almond milk or the like. After a long lecture she proceeds to put about a half teaspoon of the raw milk into the tea. Daft as a brush. :rolleyes:

Some of it stems from a wish to be "different" I think.
    Its like when the world and its brother used IBM computers and what morphed into Windows, smaller competitors machines and systems give their users a feeling of superiority and inclusiveness.
    Witness the rise of Apple, ( and their admittedly better OS).
    Now when every dog and divil has an Apple iPhone, the android system has became "cool" again.
    Lets face it, if it were entirely an anti-farming/animal welfare concern, they wouldn't call it Almond Milk, or Soya Milk in the first place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Brought the family and my OHs friend from Australia for a mystery tour yesterday.

1. Scattery island in the Shannon estuary- st Senan’s monastic site. Boat from Kilrush. Great spot on a nice day- didn’t see the hen harrier though.

2. Armada hotel on Spanish point for lunch. - great food as usual.

3. Cruise at the bottom of the Cliffs of Moher.- great day for it. Small lady got to see puffin colony so she was delighted.

Silage knocked today in a muddy field so baling tonight for fear of rain. End of my first cut.

Fair busy morning- Mother’s dog went missing and met my mother wondering the road looking for her. Eventually found her.
    Had to set up the bouncy castles for a Nieces birthday party also.

Lads.
    Was pricing some corrugated sheeting for a small job, it’s 0.55mm thick, is that heavy or light sheeting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

She indoors is gone away on a girls night out. I swear she must have stones in the case twas that heavy.

Here now with the two boyos "chilling."
    Fun times!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Lads.
    Was pricing some corrugated sheeting for a small job, it’s 0.55mm thick, is that heavy or light sheeting ?

Light. The heavy is .65. Doesn't seem like much but makes a big difference

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Light. The heavy is .65. Doesn't seem like much but makes a big difference

Thanks.
    Is to sheet down the side of a shed so I don’t want light stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Vegan activists protesting at a pig farm in Co meath

Pigs will now have to be culled as it. seems some of these f&sk wits are from overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Muckit wrote: »
    She indoors is gone away on a girls night out. I swear she must have stones in the case twas that heavy.

Here now with the two boyos "chilling."
    Fun times!! :D
    Same here, girls going for a meal
    We’ll get watching the gas in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

orm0nd wrote: »

Pigs will now have to be culled as it. seems some of these f&sk wits are from overseas.
    That is terrible. Did they get into the piggery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Call Gardai, take names and sue for full costs.

2 chances of getting compo from that shower ... none and S.F.A.

2 chances of getting compo from that shower ... none and S.F.A.

Probably, but doesn't a judgement against their names have consequences for getting finance in the future?

Wake them up to the consequences of their actions, for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

L1985 wrote: »
    Lads something really needs to be done about the amount of misinformation in Ireland about meat and dairy... was chatting to a friend yesterday( in her thirties and I’d have thought fairly clued in) she’s had health issues and one thing she said was she was giving up dairy and beef. I asked her why and she said the hormones that were pumped in couldn’t be good....I was honestly shocked. She started talking about dairy but then said it was in beef. I educated her and she’s now going back on dairy and butcher beef but it’s a bit scary!! All the hoops we jump through and people on the ground don’t even realise!!
    whelan2 wrote: »
    Was talking to a mother at football recently. Her daughter turned vegan in 6th class as the teacher told them how animals are slaughtered. Now I don't know what he said but I found that shocking. Her daughter is 15 now and she said she knows she's not getting enough to keep her going from what she's eating, it's also costing them a fortune
    Ye can’t have it both way, educating people about one thing and not the other thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

In westmeath. About 2 miles from me. Only I'm tedding I'd tip over to cause a row

Ye can’t have it both way, educating people about one thing and not the other thing

Spreading vegan propaganda isn’t “educating”

Chances that teacher has no animal husbandry knowledge, nonidea of slaughter nor the food chain. Probably looked stuff up on YouTube and then spread their version of misinformation to kids who don’t know any better.

I could be even more suspicious and ask is the teacher some sort of vegan extremist and abusing their position to spread their cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Chances that teacher has no animal husbandry knowledge, nonidea of slaughter nor the food chain. Probably looked stuff up on YouTube and then spread their version of misinformation to kids who don’t know any better.

I could be even more suspicious and ask is the teacher some sort of vegan extremist and abusing their position to spread their cult.

And the hilarious thing is that everytime anyone corrects any of this propaganda and points out that it is misinformation - they go for the jugular and try to claim they are being 'attacked'. :rolleyes:

Thing is no point in ignoring this ****e either. Let the extremists spread misinformation etc and they start breaking into piggeries or dairy farms and there is no stopping them.The usual counter with facts and a good dose of science usually has them opening and closing their mouths like gold fish.

Where they start that ****e with intimidation or breaking and entering contact the gardai asap and tell them that a serious breach of the peace is about to happen - should get things moving quickly tbh.

Sounds like the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

In westmeath. About 2 miles from me. Only I'm tedding I'd tip over to cause a row

Is it still ongoing?

Sounded like it's still going on according to the news on Newstalk.
    Guards doing nothing apparently?

Had a look at the hash tag on Twitter, looks like it's mostly English ppl with a few Irish and Dutch

ganmo wrote: »
    Had a look at the hash tag on Twitter, looks like it's mostly English ppl with a few Irish and Dutch

I know a few farmers who would of opened the pens & locked the doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That would be the wrong approach ,that is the reaction they would be looking for .Protesters stood in front of a truck removing soil from a sac locally ,all the driver did was roll back the driver seat ,lid back,pulled his cap down over his eyes and went for a good snooze!!!

Their aim is to gain 'sufficient notice in the media'.
    If the farmer fired up a bbq and offered everyone burgers itd be good crac to see their faces

• Advertisement

The local hurling team should invite them to a friendly game to improve international relations. Their own fault if they don't bring their own hurls or know the game was on farm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You must be joking, ....public servants, did they even go out to the call

I take it these were the very same people who were protesting outside the meat factory?

And one of them is employed by UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭gk5000

And if it went to a kill or be killed scenario - result either way. Joking, honest;)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

A piggery can be a very noisy place at feeding time. Especially if feeding is delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Probably, but doesn't a judgement against their names have consequences for getting finance in the future?

Wake them up to the consequences of their actions, for once.

Not sure on the procedure, but if you sued them and they didn't pay, could you get them declared bankrupt?
    Good luck with getting any loans after that...

• Advertisement

That would be so unlike you:D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Not sure on the procedure, but if you sued them and they didn't pay, could you get them declared bankrupt?
    Good luck with getting any loans after that...

Yeah, something along those lines.

The funny thing about this is that now all the pigs there will have to be killed in the next few months as they wouldn't be classified as a disease free unit any longer.

Boars first to go as nothing will be bred from again.

Then the sows will have their piglets and be weaned and then killed and the weaners fattened and killed in due course. Unit powerhosed and disinfected and left for a period of time before being restocked again.

So getting animals killed way earlier than they have to is now one of the aims of the AnLib movement. Good to know we're not so far apart after all:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mayo letting Armagh back into the game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Same here, girls going for a meal We’ll get watching the gas in peace

Mrs Grassroot is just home from a show in Dublin
    They got stuck into the gay pride parade aswell she had me moidered with selfies with the ugliest drag queens I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

whelan2 wrote: »
    Mayo letting Armagh back into the game :rolleyes:

Thought you’d be watching Louth .......oh wait ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Thought you’d be watching Louth .......oh wait ;)

Louth scored more against Dublin than Meath did in 2019. I'm happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Mrs Grassroot is just home from a show in Dublin
    They got stuck into the gay pride parade aswell she had me moidered with selfies with the ugliest drag queens I have ever seen.

Look I did the best I could, it was a last minute thing🧚*♂️🧚*♀️

Daddy bribes seam to work on Boys
    Girls are a different story

I'm really enjoying watching Kilkenny v Wexford at the min.

Base price wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying watching Kilkenny v Wexford at the min.

Blow the whistle there Base..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

And G'wan Wexford

Double win for Wexford today in the Leinster final.

Minors and seniors.

Loch Garman Abu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Double win for Wexford today in the Leinster final.

Minors and seniors.

Loch Garman Abu.

Has Davy any input with the minors?

Has Davy any input with the minors?

I'm the wrong person to be asking that question.
    Greuller would probably know if he'll turn up here tomorrow..

I'm the wrong person to be asking that question.
    Greuller would probably know if he'll turn up here tomorrow..

Probably looking for someone to milk the cows:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement