Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Know of one who used to travel North all the ways from Cork. In the 70s when the troubles were at their height, he had a visit and was told to stay at home in future.
    Large protestant pop around Bandon and parts of Cork. None anything to do with Orange Order but a good many, a bit moreso than the general pop would have an interest in the goings on in the Royal Family. In fairness it's part of their old heritage.
    My own family, on one side way back would have been protestant from France, TMK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Hugonout?
    Theres an old cemetery of theirs just up from the Dáil on Merrion row
    I find genealogy fascinating

As regards Cupboards (pronounced cubbord alright like mother Hubburd),we use both as we're half wexford,half diocese of Kerry
    My Ma saying press,Da Cupboard

He also used say,blow out the light ,a nod to when pre rural electrification, that's what you actually had to do
    I still use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Some protestant locals here Im told,go to the North every 12th to March and toast the Queen on Xmas day,I wonder how common the latter is in our sovereign independent pluralist state?
    Or the former for that matter
    It must be dying out

It kind of runs in some families, but but not at all in others.
    Never heard of anyone toasting the Queen, but some would watch her speech on Christmas day.
    Dying out surely, but will take generations to die out.
    Bit of trouble on the Southern side of the border after brexit would re-invigerate it again.
    There is a strange fascination generally with the Royal family here, sort of a soap opera I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

_Brian wrote: »
    Do we have to start talking Marching in July 😂

No it's actually January February March March March March March and so on to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I came through the north at the weekend as i do most weekends.

It’s getting very unwelcoming indeed, some serious constructions of pallets growing, one in portadown is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

In other news,A house in Arklow near the golf club sold for 500k
    Boom times are back...
    I don't think the buyers have a big CoOp bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Boom times are back...

They have to buy their cement somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Boom times are back...
    The boom times are definitely back. I was driving near Tara/Skryne, Co. Meath a few weeks ago and saw a sign selling racehorse syndicates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

a plane went from knock to to down last week for mayo match
    https://twitter.com/Irelandwest/status/1142362681934061568

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

What happened to the €100,000000, that was dangled like a carrot before euro elections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Arla are using cow manure to power their milk lorries.
    Not sure how that works payments wise?

https://www.farminguk.com/news/farmers-help-poo-powered-milk-lorries-become-reality_53355.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What happened to the €100,000000, that was dangled like a carrot before euro elections?

Still discussing how it's to be distributed and what conditions are attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

34tzfs.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

I think it's going to full time farmers who produce freisians to compensate for poor cull cow and bull calf prices??
    I could be wrong on that so keep it to yourself...

I think it's going to full time farmers who produce freisians to compensate for poor cull cow and bull calf prices??

Tis only fair, like:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Those with jex bull calves will get extra

whelan2 wrote: »
    Those with jex bull calves will get extra

Couldn't be having that!!
    Ah them folks are loaded anyways. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

No no no, You all have it wrong. It is all going to those who are in beef and considering dairy conversion to offset the psychological impact of looking at goose arsed black and white calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Grueller wrote:
    No no no, You all have it wrong. It is all going to those who are in beef and considering dairy conversion to offset the psychological impact of looking at goose arsed black and white calves.

Go to the dark side and your on your own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Say Your Name, so they put milk in one end of the lorry and sh1te in the other end, double collection?

Water John wrote: »
    Say Your Name, so they put milk in one end of the lorry and sh1te in the other end, double collection?

Seemingly so.
    You'll be out of business with your anaerobic digestors before you even start.

Did I read somewhere that a farmer in roscommon died after getting trapped between silage bales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Arla are using cow manure to power their milk lorries.
    Not sure how that works payments wise?

https://www.farminguk.com/news/farmers-help-poo-powered-milk-lorries-become-reality_53355.html

They were on about running a massive ad plant on site at Ayelsbury at one one point. Their closest dairy neighbour is on a supermarket contract there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

Did I read somewhere that a farmer in roscommon died after getting trapped between silage bales?

Herd someone died in silage related incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Follow up on article about our little pighy friends. Apparently as in the UK they are using google maps. Time for some arrests imo.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/pig-farm-protest-to-prompt-meeting-of-garda%C3%AD-and-agriculturalists-1.3944463

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Weighed some of the cattle for beep this evening.
    Heaviest cow was 857kg
    2yo replacement heifers 590-670kg
    3yo Limo stock bull 900kg
    April limo x calves averaging 170-200kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Weighed some of the cattle for beep this evening.
    Heaviest cow was 857kg
    2yo replacement heifers 590-670kg
    3yo Limo stock bull 900kg
    April limo x calves averaging 170-200kg.

Good weights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

emaherx wrote: »
    Herd someone died in silage related incident.

Yes just outside Ballinasloe. Died this morning. Not sure of details but he was found beside silage bales.

And another man in same parish was killed only a fortnight ago. Again at silage, covering a pit, I think that man was getting a heart attack, went to get out of tractor and back wheel went out over him. Died from internal injuries some time later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes just outside Ballinasloe. Died this morning. Not sure of details but he was found beside silage bales.

And another man in same parish was killed only a fortnight ago. Again at silage, covering a pit, I think that man was getting a heart attack, went to get out of tractor and back wheel went out over him. Died from internal injuries some time later.

Ya Muckit I heard he fell down between silage bales and was trapped upside down for a couple of days ... bachelor and wasn't looked for a couple of days.... absolutely shocking... RIP the poor man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Ya Muckit I heard he fell down between silage bales and was trapped upside down for a couple of days ... bachelor and wasn't looked for a couple of days.... absolutely shocking... RIP the poor man...

FFS. what a way to go.

I fell down between round straw bales once. Stacked four high. Feet first.
    Between the dust and tight space and dark. I started experiencing claustrophobia and getting a panic attack.

I never experienced that before and was never in that situation since.

But it'd be an awful way to go.
    R.I.P that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

That's fairly horrific if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a guy here this year stacking bales with the soft hands grap. I left a plastic bag with a roll of tape and a rag for cleaning them up on the trailer. Anyway, bag disappeared. Realised after a while what happened and sure enough, there it was down between the bales, which were stacked on the flat side.
    I went head first down between the bales to get it back. I had one hand up on the bale and the other reaching down. Scary stuff. So easy get caught out.
    Maybe something similar happned to that poor man.

How do you get around this - leave a bigger gap between the rows? Didn't someone on here say that a safety inspector mentioned it on a farm inspection.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I can see no advantage stacking bales on their end especially two high .If bales are stacked properly sitting like when they come out of baler ,they seal into each other in stacked 3 high

Poor man, RIP.

There was a similar case here nearly 20 years ago now, batchelor dairy man milking when the milk lorry was collecting. Lorry left and returned 3 days later at the same time with no milk in the tank and machine running. Poor man wasn't missed at all for those 3 days:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It will take a Pauric Nally type instance before the Gardai/government take any notice, they’ll go into the wrong farm some day and no amount of waving their iPhone in a lads face will save them from severe injury our worse....
    If a bus arrived into the yard here with a load of them they’d want to be getting turned around fairly lively before the teleporter and pallet forks where brought out to remove any vechicles trespassing

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

What exactly is the law here at the moment?
    We could ask them to leave?

• Advertisement

What exactly is the law here at the moment?
    We could ask them to leave?
    I think this Act is the one that covers buildings although it doesn't cover farm land iykwim. It is fairly specific although I wonder what is considered - "reasonable excuse"

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/2/section/13/enacted/en/html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

jaymla627 wrote: »
    It will take a Pauric Nally type instance before the Gardai/government take any notice, they’ll go into the wrong farm some day and no amount of waving their iPhone in a lads face will save them from severe injury our worse....
    If a bus arrived into the yard here with a load of them they’d want to be getting turned around fairly lively before the teleporter and pallet forks where brought out to remove any vechicles trespassing

I can imagine the panic getting the grab off and pallet forks on.

“Hold in there lads, there’s fookin pin stuck in this, any ye see where the hammer went? Who had it last?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Had a guy here this year stacking bales with the soft hands grap. I left a plastic bag with a roll of tape and a rag for cleaning them up on the trailer. Anyway, bag disappeared. Realised after a while what happened and sure enough, there it was down between the bales, which were stacked on the flat side.
    I went head first down between the bales to get it back. I had one hand up on the bale and the other reaching down. Scary stuff. So easy get caught out.
    Maybe something similar happned to that poor man.

How do you get around this - leave a bigger gap between the rows? Didn't someone on here say that a safety inspector mentioned it on a farm inspection.

Some lads the year ahead in secobdary school made a mesh gaurd to go between each layer of straw/hay bales in the shed for the young scientis IIRC

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I rang the OH at work this morning to tell her things are looking up,

a new cheque book arrived in the post;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I rang the OH at work this morning to tell her things are looking up,

a new cheque book arrived in the post;)

My other half works in the bank. She won't send me a new cheque book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

The missed call scammers are now using a uk number

*00 44 70 9872 0596‬

It’s easy to be caught out with a uk number.

Odelay wrote: »

*00 44 70 9872 0596‬

Had one of those today. Didn't answer as it stopped after 1 ring. Suspected it was a scam.

Odelay wrote: »

*00 44 70 9872 0596‬

Had that this evening I probably would have answered it but my phone was on charging

Had that this evening I probably would have answered it but my phone was on charging
    I got it too but didn't hear it as I was topping and had the air conditioning running at full blast in the tractor ;)

TBH I was about to phone it back before I took the time to actually look at the phone number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The whole scammer thing has worked out well.

I only answer now to numbers I already have in my phone, and even then not always. Anyone genuine can leave a message.

Number I didn’t recognise rang today and I let it go, left a message it was courier so I called him back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement