Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Brian wrote: »
    The whole scammer thing has worked out well.

I only answer now to numbers I already have in my phone, and even then not always. Anyone genuine can leave a message.

Number I didn’t recognise rang today and I let it go, left a message it was courier so I called him back.

I use the block unknown numbers feature on the phone. Can't be bothered with eejits tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We have a Spanish student here atm and I'm sore from laughing this evening. We were playing connect 4 and started playing for a bar of chocolate and the arguments started soon after the chocolate became the prize. Herself and the youngest lad were in the final and the cheating by the two was gas.

I don't know how I ended up owing a chocolate bar:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

View from the backdoor.

20190704-220438.jpg

Happy the 4th of July. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Still bright here!

Can’t believe 20 years later they still haven’t sorted out the school uniforms. On the news again, exorbitant prices for a jumper.

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    Still bright here!

You're in Tipp I think.
    I'm in Wx.
    Further east and maybe south with a mountain range blocking sunlight means darky times for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The further west but more especially north will stretch summer evening times. Donegal this time of year would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The missed call scammers are now using a uk number

*00 44 70 9872 0596‬

It’s easy to be caught out with a uk number.

I see a missed call on the wife's phone very similar you your one.

0044 79 9872 0598

I see a missed call on the wife's phone very similar you your one.

0044 79 9872 0598

It wasn’t me! Honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It wasn’t me! Honest!

The ****s about to get real now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Can’t believe 20 years later they still haven’t sorted out the school uniforms. On the news again, exorbitant prices for a jumper.

I know the prices are crazy but the jumper is worn every day at school. If there was a no uniform policy it would cost a lot more for parents for other clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    I know the prices are crazy but the jumper is worn every day at school. If there was a no uniform policy it would cost a lot more for parents for other clothes.
    Have a crested jumper here, came home one day to find wee man had found a Tin of paint his grandfather hadn’t put away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

I don't think the argument is against uniforms, just a call for generic cheaper ones with no crests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

emaherx wrote: »
    I don't think the argument is against uniforms, just a call for generic cheaper ones with no crests.

I was a disaster for school uniforms. Used get wrecked playing soccer.

I do think there should be a school jumper with a crest, when at events or on school trips, it helps identify.

But the price is crazy. I can’t figure out why schools don’t but iron on crests like the embroidered badges you are at flea markets. I reckon you’d get them in bulk for handy money.

I ordered school jackets before and i thinks the crest was €2 to get put on.

Had a student before who used but generic jumper from Dunnes and carefully cut out the school crest off an old jumper and sewed it onto the cheap jumper. I didn’t notice for years but it probably saved €20 a jumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Had a guy here this year stacking bales with the soft hands grap. I left a plastic bag with a roll of tape and a rag for cleaning them up on the trailer. Anyway, bag disappeared. Realised after a while what happened and sure enough, there it was down between the bales, which were stacked on the flat side.
    I went head first down between the bales to get it back. I had one hand up on the bale and the other reaching down. Scary stuff. So easy get caught out.
    Maybe something similar happned to that poor man.

How do you get around this - leave a bigger gap between the rows? Didn't someone on here say that a safety inspector mentioned it on a farm inspection.

Yes, that was me. Had the Inspector last year and that's what he told me. I had two lots of silage bales - gathered by different lads. One lot had almost no space between them and the other had a fairly good space, enough in some places that a man could squeeze between them at a pinch. The Inspector told me that was the better way to do them as it would give someone a chance to get out. I asked the lads this year to leave a bit of space. I cannot imagine any reason I'd need/want to go between the bales but the unexpected necessity can always crop up.
    God love that poor man, it would be an awful way to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was putting greese on the top bales this evening. I thought of that man, it truely was an awful way to go.
    It very easy could happen and I consider myself very fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

KatyMac wrote: »
    Yes, that was me. Had the Inspector last year and that's what he told me. I had two lots of silage bales - gathered by different lads. One lot had almost no space between them and the other had a fairly good space, enough in some places that a man could squeeze between them at a pinch. The Inspector told me that was the better way to do them as it would give someone a chance to get out. I asked the lads this year to leave a bit of space. I cannot imagine any reason I'd need/want to go between the bales but the unexpected necessity can always crop up.
    God love that poor man, it would be an awful way to die.

A friend crawled under the polythene on his silage pit to retrieve his phone, he only got a few yards, once he took the first breath he was dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Did anyone do a bord bia survey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Mother's 8 Commandments for young lad going abroad on sun holiday.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/8-commandments-for-lads-holiday-168704

Found a leg of lamb in the freezer, it’s about 18 months there
    It should be ok, shouldn’t it?

• Advertisement

Found a leg of lamb in the freezer, it’s about 18 months there
    It should be ok, shouldn’t it?

Should be ok. Does it look like it might have some freezer burn?

http://shelflifeadvice.com/content/how-and-how-long-should-lamb-be-kept-frozen

gozunda wrote: »
    Should be ok. Does it look like it might have some freezer burn?

http://shelflifeadvice.com/content/how-and-how-long-should-lamb-be-kept-frozen

Was thinking/hoping the same
    No freezer burns

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Was thinking/hoping the same
    No freezer burns

Ya it will be fine the best way to defrost it is in the fridge.

I'm not sure of the name of this plant.
    It's a creeper that'll have white trumpet flowers in about a month's time.

But I was in one of the sheds this evening and noticed this bit growing in over the outside wall.

20190706-185410.jpg

A wisp of straw landed on the plant and it felt that piece of straw and it's tendrils wrapped around the straw.
    And people say plants have no brains and can't feel. :)

I'm not sure of the name of this plant.
    It's a creeper that'll have white trumpet flowers in about a month's time.

But I was in one of the sheds this evening and noticed this bit growing in over the outside wall.

20190706-185410.jpg

A wisp of straw landed on the plant and it felt that piece of straw and it's tendrils wrapped around the straw.
    And people say plants have no brains and can't feel. :)

It’s only the vegans that say that, we all know plants have feelings :)

It’s only the vegans that say that, we all know plants have feelings :)

They must have a sense of touch anyway.
    Plus they have a form of communication.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Bindweed, I think.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Bindweed, I think.

That's the one.
    Intelligent plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

That's the one.
    Intelligent plant.

As intelligent as it might be, it destroyed half of our carrots last year in the drought. Covered the ground and wrapped around them. When it finally rained the carrots couldn’t compete.

• Advertisement

Sold a cow to a neighbour a few weeks ago. He wanted to put calves on her. Got a text off him today that she took with the calves. He has called her Rafiki which is swahili for friend. The cow will be very well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

A video of a briar growing. Comes with a warning, it might affect your sleep.:D
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNjR4rVA8to

Put on rte1 there after the Gslway Msyo game ended. That programne on twink is woeful crap

Put on rte1 there after the Gslway Msyo game ended. That programne on twink is woeful crap

Turn over to rte2.
    Nazis breeding of the Aurochs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Turn over to rte2.

Show on the Victorian’s on channel 5 - it’s very good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A video of a briar growing. Comes with a warning, it might affect your sleep.:D
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNjR4rVA8to

Like a Feckin triffid

https://youtu.be/LYEpBTAD27k

• Advertisement

Turn over to rte2.

Link to that - think your mailbox is full btw ...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

There was a bit of a disagreement on a WhatsApp group im on earlier. One fella doesn't understand why dairy farmers bother doing their own hay, the other guy claims he earned over €400/acre from selling hay last week.

While im indifferent on dairy farmers doing their own hay.... there's no way there is €400/acre profit on making and selling hay. Otherwise id have 50 acres made duing the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

There was a bit of a disagreement on a WhatsApp group im on earlier. One fella doesn't understand why dairy farmers bother doing their own hay, the other guy claims he earned over €400/acre from selling hay last week.

While im indifferent on dairy farmers doing their own hay.... there's no way there is €400/acre profit on making and selling hay. Otherwise id have 50 acres made duing the week

Did the 400/acre lad supply any more than that?

Small squares are the most work, but the most profit...
    How many bales would you get to an acre - 150 would be a good crop, maybe it could be more this year?
    Selling at 3/bale - 450euro

Now take off fertiliser & diesel... if you had all the machinery not sure how you should cost this?

Not sure you’d have 400, it all depends on what the costs were really, but you might have a good chunk of it too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Earned €400/acre and profit of €400/acre are two different things. The €400 aside; I'd be interested to hear if he's included the input costs and how he evaluated his own time etc. I know lads who are selective about what they include as a 'cost' against the sale price/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Suckler wrote: »
    Earned €400/acre and profit of €400/acre are two different things. The €400 aside; I'd be interested to hear if he's included the input costs and how he evaluated his own time etc. I know lads who are selective about what they include as a 'cost' against the sale price/

He was lucky to get someone to buy the hay this year, see it down as low as €18 round bale in Done deal,
    We're after a good run of weather for last two years, we've all seen years that it was hard even to harvest silage. I've a couple acres of wet land that you wouldn't get the jeep across two years in a row, yet my tenant has cut silage off it twice a year for the last three years. such is the climate change lately..... however I wouldn't be planning making hay as an enterprise into the future.

• Advertisement

Why evaluated his own time in working out what he just earned? This comes up a lot here. If I work 60h off farm in a week I don't subtract anything when working out my gross earnings? Sure you can work out what you earn per hour and compare it to wages possibly earned doing something else but money earned is money earned.

Someone here last year even tried to say you needed to add a few euro into your costs for lost potential earnings doing something else? Of coarse the chap could have been sitting on his hole starring at a TV instead.

Why evaluated his own time in working out what he just earned? This comes up a lot here.

Because it's a cost of production.
    If I work 60h off farm in a week I don't subtract anything when working out my gross earnings? Sure you can work out what you earn per hour and compare it to wages possibly earned doing something else but money earned is money earned.

Money earned is no use if you're paying more out than 'earning'.
    Someone here last year even tried to say you needed to add a few euro into your costs for lost potential earnings doing something else? Of coarse the chap could have been sitting on his hole starring at a TV instead.

If you had to take unpaid leave from your '9-5' then it would be relevant.

Because it's a cost of production.

Money earned is no use if you're paying more out than 'earning'.

If you had to take unpaid leave from your '9-5' then it would be relevant.

Obviously time is important, but what exactly is the monetary cost of production for your time? Time that obviously could be spent doing something more productive or likewise spent staring at your feet.

Obviously money earned is no use if costs more than you are earning, using your free time to earn a little extra is not a cost though.

Yes "IF" you take unpaid from the 9-5 to do something that earns less it's a cost. There was no suggestion of this though.

Obviously time is important, but what exactly is the monetary cost of production for your time?

That's what he needs to work out. I can't tell him that. But if he's in telling all and sundry about his "earnings" the time it took him would be entirely relevant. That's the point. Time was only one element of the point I'd made.
    Time that obviously could be spent doing something more productive or likewise spent staring at your feet.

That would be the reason for carrying out the assessment I recommended. To find out after all costs were totalled against "earned" and see if he was better off not starting in to the hay making and stare at his feet. Or, do something more productive.
    Obviously money earned is no use if costs more than you are earning,

That was my point so I'm not sure why you are going down this rabbit hole.
    using your free time to earn a little extra is not a cost though.
    Time was one cost I'd suggested. If he can say he did it in his free time, fine, why argue it though?

Yes "IF" you take unpaid from the 9-5 to do something that earns less it's a cost. There was no suggestion of this though.

It was an example in response to you point with regard to potential earning loss elsewhere. There was no suggestion of it either way also.

That's what he needs to work out. I can't tell him that. But if he's in telling all and sundry about his "earnings" the time it took him would be entirely relevant. That's the point. Time was only one element of the point I'd made.

That would be the reason for carrying out the assessment I recommended. To find out after all costs were totalled against "earned" and see if he was better off not starting in to the hay making and stare at his feet. Or, do something more productive.

Time was one cost I'd suggested. If he can say he did it in his free time, fine, why argue it though?

It was an example in response to you point with regard to potential earning loss elsewhere. There was no suggestion of it either way also.

Not sure about rabbit holes, only giving my opinion, I'm not sure the person in question was going into the hay making business or just taking advantage of the nice surpluses this year. Wasn't just your comments, more of a general observation on this forum you can't say you made any profits on fodder here without someone going you didn't allow anything for your time or even a fictional cost (this was from another poster) about money that could be earned doing something else (wasn't a taking time off 9-5 situation but applied it always).

Just pointing out that that time could just as easily be just taking away from Xbox time as other work time and the person involved may enjoy making hay and make a few quid.

Did the 400/acre lad supply any more than that?

Small squares are the most work, but the most profit...
    How many bales would you get to an acre - 150 would be a good crop, maybe it could be more this year?
    Selling at 3/bale - 450euro

Now take off fertiliser & diesel... if you had all the machinery not sure how you should cost this?

Not sure you’d have 400, it all depends on what the costs were really, but you might have a good chunk of it too...

The following is the info he provided, its a WhatsApp group so not exactly fleshed out and i had to edit out some crap.

"Serious money n hay making lad. 732 small squares at €3 n field, €3.80 delivered. €30 for rounds n field, 19 rounds, take all costs out have a profit of over €1821 works out at €404.66 a acre so why not make hay, then all about making profit end day and making good hay need be a good farmer to make hay I guess."

Other bits of info.... its on 4&1/2 acres. He had hay done early before the glut of hay, so he may have gotten €30 for his rounds.

I think hes only taken into account the cost to bale the rounds and squares, and to mow the ground. I dont think hes taken the cost of fertiliser, land charge (its on rented ground). Nothing accounted for tedding/haybob, probably turned 4 to 6 times and rowed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The following is the info he provided, its a WhatsApp group so not exactly fleshed out and i had to edit out some crap.

"Serious money n hay making lad. 732 small squares at €3 n field, €3.80 delivered. €30 for rounds n field, 19 rounds, take all costs out have a profit of over €1821 works out at €404.66 a acre so why not make hay, then all about making profit end day and making good hay need be a good farmer to make hay I guess."

Anyone starting their statement with "Serious money n hay making lad" is a piss artist anyway.
    God knows what crap you had to edit out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Other bits of info.... its on 4&1/2 acres. He had hay done early before the glut of hay, so he may have gotten €30 for his rounds.

I think hes only taken into account the cost to bale the rounds and squares, and to mow the ground. I dont think hes taken the cost of fertiliser, land charge (its on rented ground). Nothing accounted for tedding/haybob, probably turned 4 to 6 times and rowed up.

And 7 to 10 days later in getting to aftergrass as well compared to silage.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Anyone starting their statement with "Serious money n hay making lad" is a piss artist anyway.
    God knows what crap you had to edit out!

Oh he is, i had to edit lots of stuff that may identify either party in the discussion.... but i think he truly believes what he said!

How much would baling be? €5 or €6?
    Haybob turning? 6 or 8 an acre?
    Fertiliser? How much is a bag of 18-6-12?
    Land charge... just say hes paying €150 (guessing that figure) per acre, how much do you attribute to the hay?

And shur his time is free ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Saw my first pine marten in the wild today. I’d say he was a young one.

Some increase in the amount of wildlife in our bog area in the last few years.

I reckon because there isn’t much or any spray being used

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement