Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Reggie. wrote: »
    Out of no where I got violently sick. Climbed into bed for a half hour now I cant get outta it. No energy. Must have been something I ate last night

Sun stroke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any idea what top soil is worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    Sun stroke?

Could be the plague atm. Thinking of calling in an airstrike on my location

Could be the plague atm. Thinking of calling in an airstrike on my location

Ya can't be too bad if ya can post on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

whelan2 wrote:
    Youngest lad here gets really bad vomiting when he gets a bug. We can now just by pass everyone waiting in casualty and they give him an injection asap to stop it. Really horrible to watch him. I wonder what's in it as it stops it very quickly

I'd imagine is either ondansetron or cyclizine. Both mircle workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-up-in-arms-over-wind-farm-development-in-cavan/

Can anyone tell me what set down distance refers to? Is it a cavan phrase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Came across this on Agriland. It shows the importance of using proper straps although the eejit should have stopped before the trailer turned over.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/video-off-balance-bales-send-trailer-teetering/

Base price wrote: »
    Came across this on Agriland. It shows the importance of using proper straps although the eejit should have stopped before the trailer turned over.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/video-off-balance-bales-send-trailer-teetering/

Should have stopped well before that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

whelan2 wrote: »

Paying €25/tonne bag here. Tonne bag is costing a few euro aswell so. €20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ganmo wrote: »
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-up-in-arms-over-wind-farm-development-in-cavan/

Not a Cavan phrase I’ve heard much.

This is just nimby stuff to be honest. There are enough windfarms locally to see they are no harm to stock, even those that graze directly beneath them.

White diesel €1.15 in apple green in Drogheda. €1.30 in local shop who would normally be very competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

Base price wrote: »

At least he made it to the gateway and didn't block the road.That looked like his plan as he was driving on the righthand side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That journalist on Agriland has been writing articles anti wind farming in recent weeks. One day she managed three articles about the same windfarm and the same objectors. Her full day's quota.
    Obviously people have copped on she'll run with their story.

That load toppling is the same as happened near me two weeks ago. Stacking them three high, full width, to go two miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think it's the distance the turbines must be set back from the nearest dwelling houses, a minimum of 500m from the article. I'm not sure if that's the distance from where the turbine is set down on the ground or the distance from where the blades cover the ground, the base being some 563m from the house in that case?

I think it's the first one, 500m from the house.

500m from the base. Used to be 400m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I was driving a bit in Wales and England last week, and they have a good few wind turbines.
    But a lot of them seem to be lower, more squat kinda ones than the ones we have here. Also, there seemed to be more one-offs, it wasn’t a big group of them together like we have...

They looked much better in the landscape I thought.

I was trying to find a pic there, but no joy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

We bought 12 loads for EU200 a load delivered a couple of weeks ago . It was screened but alot of small stones still in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

White diesel €1.15 in apple green in Drogheda. €1.30 in local shop who would normally be very competitive

Petrol dropped 14cent in local garage last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I was driving a bit in Wales and England last week, and they have a good few wind turbines.
    But a lot of them seem to be lower, more squat kinda ones than the ones we have here. Also, there seemed to be more one-offs, it wasn’t a big group of them together like we have...

They looked much better in the landscape I thought.

I was trying to find a pic there, but no joy...

Cornwall waa an eyeopener to me when i first saw all the turbines and solar farms and everything in between especially forvan area with a hell of a lot nicer landscape than Ireland IMO, also the amount of farmers with their own solar panels, turbines, rainwater harvesting or even just solar powered fencers was unreal.

Better living everyone

Cornwall waa an eyeopener to me when i first saw all the turbines and solar farms and everything in between especially forvan area with a hell of a lot nicer landscape than Ireland IMO, also the amount of farmers with their own solar panels, turbines, rainwater harvesting or even just solar powered fencers was unreal.

Twas Cornwall where I was too...

The wind turbines were big enough, but they looked to be one off kinda ones. And solar farms like you say - but small ones, maybe a half acre or an acre of panels.
    They all had the look of kinda private ventures, as opposed to the big corporate plans we have here, with lots of wind turbines together, or 25+ acres of solar panels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

There's a programme about BSE on BBC2 now.

Twas Cornwall where I was too...

The wind turbines were big enough, but they looked to be one off kinda ones. And solar farms like you say - but small ones, maybe a half acre or an acre of panels.
    They all had the look of kinda private ventures, as opposed to the big corporate plans we have here, with lots of wind turbines together, or 25+ acres of solar panels...

How far down did you go? Passed Newquay they get a bit bigger the solar farms along the A30, twas alway nearly dark anytime i was going up passed that area.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

ar
    Can anyone tell me what set down distance refers to? Is it a ncavan phrase?

To be fair, there is a group up that way who oppose everything.
    Loads of turbines up near Canningstown and Cootehill and you hear very little complaints.
    Nothing like a retired Guard to rise a row, especially when house prices are concerned.
    That plan has been in the pipeline almost a dozen years, and is only now commencing at a smaller scale, so how he thinks it was "sprung" on him and the community is hard to credit.
    "Watched helplessly " as the turbines were installed is shyte.
    Groundworks and concrete being poured for months...

How far down did you go? Passed Newquay they get a bit bigger the solar farms along the A30, twas alway nearly dark anytime i was going up passed that area.

Went down as far as Mount St Michael, so almost all the ways... :)

I didn’t see big solar farms, any I saw seemed small enough I thought...

Lovely countryside...
    I loved the variety of crops you’d see. Plenty spuds and veg growing, lot of tillage, lot more oats than you’d see here... It was nice to see...

Also, I was surprised at the amount of British food in the supermarket - all very branded as British. Strawberries, raspberries, apples, most of the veg...
    What struck me was most of the same food could be grown in Ireland, if we wanted to have irish fruit/veg, but people don’t :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think it's the distance the turbines must be set back from the nearest dwelling houses, a minimum of 500m from the article. I'm not sure if that's the distance from where the turbine is set down on the ground or the distance from where the blades cover the ground, the base being some 563m from the house in that case?

I think it's the first one, 500m from the house.

The issue is that the government have refused to update setback rules for wind turbines(due to the lobbying power of the industry) despite the fact that they are now multiple times the size they were in terms of height and blade length when the original guidelines were put in place nearly 20 years ago. In the Cavan case it appears that the blades of one the turbines is actually over hanging the property of a neighbour - I'd be pretty p*ssed off too if a neighbour of mine pulled that stroke, especially if my house was nearer the turbines then there own!!

Went down as far as Mount St Michael, so almost all the ways... :)

I didn’t see big solar farms, any I saw seemed small enough I thought...

Lovely countryside...
    I loved the variety of crops you’d see. Plenty spuds and veg growing, lot of tillage, lot more oats than you’d see here... It was nice to see...

Also, I was surprised at the amount of British food in the supermarket - all very branded as British. Strawberries, raspberries, apples, most of the veg...
    What struck me was most of the same food could be grown in Ireland, if we wanted to have irish fruit/veg, but people don’t :(

I had a perfect view of st michael mount bringing in the cows during the summer. Serious variety there thats for sure, you missed out by not going all the way down and around past penzance and up to St Ives serious scenery there and down The Lizard peninsula thats a funny spot there too. When i was there i was amazed by all the Australian, Argentinian and Kiwi meat on sale there. Its one spot id love to go back farming in thats for sure, great summers but the winters are a sentence.

Better living everyone

#Mandown

How are you today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Very good article by Derek Deane in the Indo today, he's well sick of the Beef Trade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

wrangler wrote: »
    Very good article by Derek Deane in the Indo today, he's well sick of the Beef Trade.

Have you a link wrangler? I went looking for it but ended up here

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/grassroots-diary-best-angus-bulls-ready-to-lock-horns-for-allireland-title-38292339.html

Angus bulls locking horns:D:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

I can't get it either
    They're unlikely to put it up the same day as it's published if they want to sell newspapers.
    The headline is ''Beef will go the way of beet unless someone shouts stop'',

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ballpark, around €200 for an eight wheeler. Probably depends on the draw and the quality.

blue5000 wrote: »

I can't get it either
    They're unlikely to put it up the same day as it's published if they want to sell newspapers.
    The headline is ''Beef will go the way of beet unless someone shouts stop'',
    Did he not hear Mattie McGrath in the Oireachtas? If that wasn't shouting about beef I don't know what is

How are you today?

About 70% today. Not eating too much but managed to go sow rape for a neighbour. Was difficult but it's in. Wouldn't have been my best work as I was still abit dodgy

About 70% today. Not eating too much but managed to go sow rape for a neighbour. Was difficult but it's in. Wouldn't have been my best work as I was still abit dodgy

Youll surely only charge out at 70% so?

Better living everyone

Youll surely only charge out at 70% so?

He insisted so it's on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    To be fair, there is a group up that way who oppose everything.
    Loads of turbines up near Canningstown and Cootehill and you hear very little complaints.
    Nothing like a retired Guard to rise a row, especially when house prices are concerned.
    That plan has been in the pipeline almost a dozen years, and is only now commencing at a smaller scale, so how he thinks it was "sprung" on him and the community is hard to credit.
    "Watched helplessly " as the turbines were installed is shyte.
    Groundworks and concrete being poured for months...

They are well away from those two areas you mentioned though. That cavan windfarm is out in the back end of no where. There was also very little compliants because most farmers got a nice payout for having them with very few one of house owners to give out.

I don't know the area in that article but I think they have already five up somewhere near the border, tierworker? Maybe they are testing people with these small farms to see how far they can get.
    I still that article is a load of nonsense though.

Agriland running another twist on the same windfarm story today. This nonsense of not being consulted, every EIS has to incorporate a public consulation which usually takes the form of an open information day in a local hall.

No evidence whatsoever of property price affected in any way in any part of the country.
    No developer or farmer is testing anything. The risk and cost of going through the planning process for any of these projects is major money., easily €500K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Baby it's hot outside. Aircon set to max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

How do you find the CD player on that radio unit? Mine went wallop just after the warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They are well away from those two areas you mentioned though. That cavan windfarm is out in the back end of no where. There was also very little compliants because most farmers got a nice payout for having them with very few one of house owners to give out.

I don't know the area in that article but I think they have already five up somewhere near the border, tierworker? Maybe they are testing people with these small farms to see how far they can get.
    I still that article is a load of nonsense though.

There are a surprising number of one-off houses up there, I worked for an Auctioneer and we sold sites up close to the windmills. I suppose you either hate them, or like them.
    (dont know of anyone actually loves them)

I wonder if these lads at Kingscourt are also part of the group objecting to the North-South interconnector pylon route?
    It will run just west of Kingscourt, heading up to the west of Carrickmacross and 'Blaney , then on past Armagh and ending up near Dungannon.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did he not hear Mattie McGrath in the Oireachtas? If that wasn't shouting about beef I don't know what is

I didn't hear him, those independents will agree with everyone, a person would be foolish to give them any credibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

How do you find the CD player on that radio unit? Mine went wallop just after the warranty.

Haven't a clue about CD player. Contractors tractor. Radio reception is sh1te constantly dropping out and if phone rings through Bluetooth it won't reconnect to radio after call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I was expecting to see a door in the ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Anyone know when tax form 11 has to be in by is it 31 October for 18s accounts?

Bullocks wrote: »

I didn't hear him, those independents will agree with everyone, a person would be foolish to give them any credibility
    It would be worth listening to , it was some rant . No solutions or options just a rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Where in drogheda is that AppleGreen. On the waterfront?

Where in drogheda is that AppleGreen. On the waterfront?

Theres 2 I think the one at the waterfront - mc Donalds is 115cpl. There's another in newfoundwell in Drogheda is now 114cpl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

marathon wrote: »
    Anyone know when tax form 11 has to be in by is it 31 October for 18s accounts?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/form11-helpsheet.pdf

I have been filling mine today, I usually submit on paper format before the 1st August. They are pushing for online - I baulk at that.

Theres 2 I think the one at the waterfront - mc Donalds is 115cpl. There's another in newfoundwell in Drogheda is now 114cpl
    Petrol is 121cpl !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Water John wrote: »
    Agriland running another twist on the same windfarm story today. This nonsense of not being consulted, every EIS has to incorporate a public consulation which usually takes the form of an open information day in a local hall.

No evidence whatsoever of property price affected in any way in any part of the country.
    No developer or farmer is testing anything. The risk and cost of going through the planning process for any of these projects is major money., easily €500K.

LOL - more like a box ticking exercise:rolleyes: I've never heard of any wind developer changing things on the back of "feedback" As for them not effecting property prices, they certainly do in the UK so I can't see it not been an issue here

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/windpower/9418617/Wind-farms-do-bring-down-property-values.html

plus in Cork a wind farm owner is now liable for millions of Euros due to various issues for locals

https://stopthesethings.com/2016/12/17/irish-high-court-finds-wind-turbine-maker-liable-for-noise-nuisance-7-irish-families-to-get-millions-in-punitive-damages/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement