Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Grueller wrote: »
    I love ww1 & 2 documentaries. There is a good one on atm on more4 called Dunkirk the forgotten heroes. The story of the last british forces left in France after the Dunkirk evacuation.
    Makes me laugh the English bias about Dunkirk. It was the cut off half of the French army that bought them a few days to even consider an evacuation was possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Grueller

Makes me laugh the English bias about Dunkirk. It was the cut off half of the French army that bought them a few days to even consider an evacuation was possible.

Isn't that every nation though. We are noyt long after (completely rightfully in my opinion) celebrating the cenyenary of glorious defeat in 1916.
    The Brits were kind of sold out before Dunkirk by the French leaving the Ardennes undefended too. The real heroism of Dunkirk to be fair was the civillian effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Willfarman wrote: »
    The film was enjoyable I thought..

Just reading the Facebook and see this story https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farming-news/land-worth-16m-donated-by-farmer-to-traveller-group-set-to-be-turned-in-to-community-farm-37171330.html
    I remember hearing the old man didn’t like his neighbors much!

Link didn't work in the post so I'll paste it here...

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farming-news/land-worth-16m-donated-by-farmer-to-traveller-group-set-to-be-turned-in-to-community-farm-37171330.html

Lol, make sure you don't fall out with your neighbours, never know how they might have the last laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Believe it or not, my father found one of those sliotars in our bog once, and we are very West clare.

There has been 2/3 found locally and in Dublin museum

I hope we won't be burrying the hurleys after Sunday. :)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Half of Wales after the fall of the Roman empire was taken over by the Irish.
    They divided up the land into the Irish type of field boundaries. All curves and zig zags mostly for defense and ambush reasons. Not at all like the straight and square Roman type.
    In the tales of The knights of the round table and Camelot in it says that Merlin went to Ireland and brought back stones.
    Most scholars think that it means he went to west Wales as it was also called Ireland or Hibernia in the books. The Preseli hills in west Wales where the famous Dolerite in stone henge is believed to come from would have been part of Ireland at that time.

It's only a skip and a jump over to Cornwall from west Wales.

Theres a parish in west cornwall out near lands end called st buryan, apparently an irish saint set up camp there years and years ago.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Odelay wrote: »
    Link didn't work in the post so I'll paste it here...

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farming-news/land-worth-16m-donated-by-farmer-to-traveller-group-set-to-be-turned-in-to-community-farm-37171330.html

Lol, make sure you don't fall out with your neighbours, never know how they might have the last laugh!

You could do a lot worse than have this group as neighbors. I've lived beside Michael McDonagh most of my life and I'd be fairly certain there will be no messing with this group. I wish them well with their project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I hope we won't be burrying the hurleys after Sunday. :)

I’m quietly confident. That setup knows how to win, granted at U21s but we have good records against the two remaining teams.

The hype is building in limerick already. Hype isn’t a good thing.

Irrespective of outcome, it’s great to be in this position.

Between this and the weather, moral is good here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Theres a parish in west cornwall out near lands end called st buryan, apparently an irish saint set up camp there years and years ago.

Back to the fall of the Roman empire. But after that in Britain and the invasions by the Saxons, Christianity was nearly wiped out in Britain. Only for the Irish church set up missions to bring back Christianity to the land.
    Lindisfarne the first Viking raid into Britain was a major Irish church mission.
    However the Irish church theology and power was in conflict with the Roman church.
    Only for the Norman conquests and approvals by the Roman Catholic popes the Christian church in Britain and Ireland could have looked a lot different than it does today.

The Norman invasion into Ireland had gotten the Popes approval prior to Bannow bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Getting bit fertilizer today for a paddock for some silage how many bags nitrogen to acre should I throw out I’m leaning towards 2 bags to acre and with drought that we have had how long before get to cut it as am going put dis paddock into winter barley and want get it plugged first week in September? Tia

• Advertisement

Getting bit fertilizer today for a paddock for some silage how many bags nitrogen to acre should I throw out I’m leaning towards 2 bags to acre and with drought that we have had how long before get to cut it as am going put dis paddock into winter barley and want get it plugged first week in September? Tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

marathon wrote: »

Normal rule is 2 units used per day. Can I ask why nitrogen on it's own?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Normal rule is 2 units used per day. Can I ask why nitrogen on it's own?

Looking for quick growth am I wrong with nitrogen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Looking for quick growth am I wrong with nitrogen?

I think 18 6 12 might be better. It would feed the root and help it soak up the water quicker. Grass need a to be fed after hardship it's gotten

Have you slurry out recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Reggie. wrote: »
    I think 18 6 12 might be better. It would feed the root and help it soak up the water quicker. Grass need a to be fed after hardship it's gotten

Have you slurry out recently

Can is cheaper especially if hes turning the sod over in 6 weeks. You'd only be burying the good

Can is cheaper especially if hes turning the sod over in 6 weeks. You'd only be burying the good

Missed that side of the quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

i put 2 and a half bags of sulpha can per acre on second cut 2 weeks ago and seem to be getting great response since rain came.got slurry and 18 6 12 in spring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The Wild Bird Cover my neighbour sowed last year is a mass of 3 foot high thistles.
    Do you think he is "'re wilding"?

Fencing this morning used the bucket of the digger to drive the posts. Ground is a lot easier for driving them now.

Another piece of advice needed I’m putting a 20 acre field into winter barley what’s best seed to use? And I assume I should soul sample to see what I need do with lime etc? First time ever having barley here and want get it right? What kind of yield can I expect(its first time field has been ploughed in 15 to 20 years) and what kinda return roughly can I expect and I understand it differs from year to year but just rooughly? Tia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Another piece of advice needed I’m putting a 20 acre field into winter barley what’s best seed to use? And I assume I should soul sample to see what I need do with lime etc? First time ever having barley here and want get it right? What kind of yield can I expect(its first time field has been ploughed in 15 to 20 years) and what kinda return roughly can I expect and I understand it differs from year to year but just rooughly? Tia

profit monitor for 2016

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/crops/E-Profit-Monitor-Analysis-2016-Winter-Barley.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

PM Waffle, even though he's in the UK. He should set you right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Seeing as there's record temperatures on the way in some parts of Europe, I said I'd post the max temperatures across each country.
    highest-temperature.jpg
    From here

Seeing as there's record temperatures on the way in some parts of Europe, I said I'd post the max temperatures across each country.
    highest-temperature.jpg
    From here[/quote

Jayney mac, I’d melt in nearly every country

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

It's mad to think bar Iceland we have to lowest top temperature. Lower then Norway Sweden and Finland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Spain could be junto the records again this week. That's 14 degrees hotter that we had a few weeks ago!
    And some people are paying money to go on holiday in that!!

Odelay wrote: »
    Spain could be junto the records again this week. That's 14 degrees hotter that we had a few weeks ago!
    And some people are paying money to go on holiday in that!!

Aye, but you don't have to work on holidays

Aye, but you don't have to work on holidays
    Holidaying in that would be work!

Been in the 20s for the last month here and tis winter, a pleasure to work in, summer mightnt be as nice to work in but i cant imagine it being that bad either. Youd drink 3 litres of water a day easily here at present i suppose that intake will double for the summer months along with salt tablets daily too.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Youd drink 3 litres of water a day easily here at present i suppose that intake will double for the summer months along with salt tablets daily too.

Do you need to take rinse aid also?

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you need to take rinse aid also?

Twould do me no harm, probably better than that monster and V stuff.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Been in the 20s for the last month here and tis winter, a pleasure to work in, summer mightnt be as nice to work in but i cant imagine it being that bad either. Youd drink 3 litres of water a day easily here at present i suppose that intake will double for the summer months along with salt tablets daily too.

Salt tablets what are they for?

naughto wrote: »

To replenish what you’d be sweating out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It just shows how little warm weather we get here when we don't know about rehydration. On TV last week, saw a woman feeding chips with plenty salt to her kids to deal with the very hot weather in Europe somewhere.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

naughto wrote: »

To rehydrate you. We use it a lot overseas

Just off the phone for the 8th time trying to get animals I took to the lab for Post Mortem taken of my CMMS. Every time I do, they say that it's sorted.

Then I get a letter again saying they are still on my CMMS and my BPS will be stopped until they're taken off.

On to my 9th call soon and the same story again.

You'd want the patience of Jobe to be doing this job:(

Just off the phone for the 8th time trying to get animals I took to the lab for Post Mortem taken of my CMMS. Every time I do, they say that it's sorted.

Then I get a letter again saying they are still on my CMMS and my BPS will be stopped until they're taken off.

On to my 9th call soon and the same story again.

You'd want the patience of Jobe to be doing this job:(

Some ****e

I need one page of a bank statement for a loan for the last week of my tax year. 3 times I have been sent out the whole year statement up to the week I need. It takes 10 days to process it and get it sent out. There were words yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Away for the weekend iwith OH.... temporarily childless and it's quickly approaching my fav time of the day.... beer o'clock! Yipeeeeee

Muckit wrote: »
    Away for the weekend iwith OH.... temporarily childless and it's quickly approaching my fav time of the day.... beer o'clock! Yipeeeeee

And AFAIK its international beer day today.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ye are generally good with older stuff in here, soldering iron with copper tip? Roughly an age on it?
    Found it in the rafters of a loft we're reroofing.

Djr5fbXX0AEnbiE.jpg

Great crop of blackberries out at the moment. Bringing the cows in takes alot longer as I'm eating blackberries

Great crop of blackberries out at the moment. Bringing the cows in takes alot longer as I'm eating blackberries

Concentrate woman ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - seem early too. I take alot of supermarket berries with my porridge but this year going to stock up on these wild fruit and keep them in the freezer

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah - seem early too. I take alot of supermarket berries with my porridge but this year going to stock up on these wild fruit and keep them in the freezer

The blackberries from the supermarkets are horrible compared to these. Wild raspberries are delish too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The blackberries from the supermarkets are horrible compared to these. Wild raspberries are delish too.

They certainly are - though unfortunately much scarcer than Blackberries in the wild. Have sowed a few this year out the back for a more reliable supply in the future

Seems to be a good crop of apples this year too despite the dry weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ye are generally good with older stuff in here, soldering iron with copper tip? Roughly an age on it?
    Found it in the rafters of a loft we're reroofing.

Djr5fbXX0AEnbiE.jpg

1940's /50's possibly older

orm0nd wrote: »
    1940's /50's possibly older

I’d say about that too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement