Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Great crop of blackberries out at the moment. Bringing the cows in takes alot longer as I'm eating blackberries
    A couple of calves broke out into another field laste this evening and we had to do a bit of fence repairs. I was munching on blackberries.
    He said the fence was off.

I'm only getting over the shock now with the help of a glass of Chardonnay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

naughto wrote: »
    Salt tablets what are they for?

Prevent dehydration aswell as drinking water, there was a woman running the london marathon this year who collapsed from drinking so much water that she basically desalinised her self.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I posted here a few weeks ago about chancing it with the fertiliser(not sure if it was here or another thread). Whelan you put it out the same day. Someone told us it was a waste of money. Anyway I was walking it today and my dad had told the guy to stay well clear of the ditches and another part not to go into. The difference is unreal-the part the got the fertiliser is bright green and growing strong-the other stuff is still brown and dry and hasn't started coming yet. It's great when you take a gamble and it actually does pay off ðŸ˜. Weather apps were so unreliable it was insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Prevent dehydration aswell as drinking water, there was a woman running the london marathon this year who collapsed from drinking so much water that she basically desalinised her self.
    During the hot spell I bought a few boxes of Dioralyte (blackcurrant flavour) in the chemist. We used to drink a couple of sachets per day mixed with water in addition to the normal water that we drank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The only fertiliser that would be lost, would be urea. Others largely don't degrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have a feeling there's a few Guy Martin fans here.

Big fairly recent interview here.
    https://youtu.be/yALPWWwKKnA

He's definitely interested in doing a Dakar rally in a Kamaz Master if the Russians would allow it.
    It'd be massive pr for the Russians to have a down to earth racer who knows how to fix trucks who's famous on the telly in the English speaking world. But then it'd be a first.

"Sh1t or Bust".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Base price wrote: »
    During the hot spell I bought a few boxes of Dioralyte (blackcurrant flavour) in the chemist. We used to drink a couple of sachets per day mixed with water in addition to the normal water that we drank.

The young lads here were playing a good few matches and training so I got them the same. They don't particularly like the taste but needs must.

Water John wrote: »
    The only fertiliser that would be lost, would be urea. Others largely don't degrade.

Half of CAN is in the urea form.

So half of that could go poof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The young lads here were playing a good few matches and training so I got them the same. They don't particularly like the taste but needs must.

When I used to run a few 10ks I found it great beforehand. I take it myself the odd time.

It's better than getting cramps.

I spent a week picking stones years ago on my own on newly leased land. Between hopping up and down off the tractor and the lifting of stones and no water and the heat. I ended up with the muscles in the back of my legs just locked solid.
    I could only walk on the tips of my feet. The heels just couldn't reach the ground the muscles were locked so solid.
    Days passed of walking around like this till myself and people around me said hang on there's something wrong here.
    Went to a physio and they sent on to the doc who sent me to the hosp who kept me in for a few days and gave me some sort of medication. Who said it was a virus I picked somewhere when the muscles did relax. A virus afaik in hospital speak is "we haven't a clue what was wrong but you're grand now".

A tip I heard when I was leaving hospital from a patient is if you want to be kept in for a few days. Is if you're asked for a urine sample. To have a "walk" before you give the sample and then they'll be forced to keep you in to collect more urine over the coming days.
    Not sure if that's true or not though.
    They may have been taking the pee??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

The ole dioralyte is good for a hang over as well. One satchel and a pint of water before bed and the same in the morning, before the fry.

Have a trial for a new job (better pay, more hours and maybe a good chance of sponsorship) i told my current employer about it (he cant/wont offer what these are offering) and he reminded me of a typical old farmer back home saying "youd be better off working for peanuts and paying minimal tax here, than to go out and and work for the higher wage and pay more tax", for f#ck sake tax is good it means youre making money.With the higher wage and more hours id be on twice as much as i am at the minute plus more benefits etc plus its only a 5 day week with 50hrs plus weekend work if you want it whereas here we could work 40 odd hours and that includes saturday work too, its a common typical attitude that irish lads out here have well im doing well and thats all that matters thought i was getting away from this stuff when i left.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Have a trial for a new job (better pay, more hours and maybe a good chance of sponsorship) i told my current employer about it (he cant/wont offer what these are offering) and he reminded me of a typical old farmer back home saying "youd be better off working for peanuts and paying minimal tax here, than to go out and and work for the higher wage and pay more tax", for f#ck sake tax is good it means youre making money.With the higher wage and more hours id be on twice as much as i am at the minute plus more benefits etc plus its only a 5 day week with 50hrs plus weekend work if you want it whereas here we could work 40 odd hours and that includes saturday work too, its a common typical attitude that irish lads out here have well im doing well and thats all that matters thought i was getting away from this stuff when i left.

Go with your gut. If your not afraid if work go for it. Your only young once

Reggie. wrote: »
    Go with your gut. If your not afraid if work go for it. Your only young once

Ill do the trial definitly, and do my best to stay there but hes expecting me back right after the trial. Another problem is were related so i cant fall out with him either.

Better living everyone

Ill do the trial definitly, and do my best to stay there but hes expecting me back right after the trial. Another problem is were related so i cant fall out with him either.

Don't fall into that trap either. If he was supportive he would respect your decision really

Don't fall into that trap either. If he was supportive he would respect your decision really

I told him at the start last thing i wanted to do was work with him in case we end up falling out, and said go for the better paying jobs etc if they come along but his tune has changed a nice bit since one of these jobs came along.

Better living everyone

I told him at the start last thing i wanted to do was work with him in case we end up falling out, and said go for the better paying jobs etc if they come along but his tune has changed a nice bit since one of these jobs came along.

That's family. They say that to get ya going then pile on the guilt card once your settled in

That's family. They say that to get ya going then pile on the guilt card once your settled in

Hes not from a farming background at all, but ive honestly never heard a farmer whinge as much as this lad about everything and always has the poor mouth on, even though apparently hes only lost money one day since he went out on his own and that was due to matters outside his own control. Since ive worked for him ive heard all the stories about previous family fueds etc which all arose from working with each other and ended up falling out black with each other and not talking for years and more often than not it was the younger lad leaving to better himself than staying stuck there too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

So he has form. F him so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Are you working in farming or a different job now? Do I remember you were getting out of the farming awhile back to go working in the buildings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

In my opinion,(and it only my opinion) I think if you plan to stay in Oz for even a few years, get sponsorship as soon as you can if they are decent people. You never know what change in immigration circumstances could occur.

My mother was a us citizen, she let it lapse and I had older brothers who couldn’t get into America when they couldn’t get work here.

A lot of my friends got residency/citizenship in oz and then came home. They have back up plans now.

You could be waiting a lifetime for a relative to sponsor you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone watch the penalty shoot out in the hockey? Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea, they're in the final, brilliant stuff

Betsy has now been put into retirement

Ohhh replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I was seriously expecting it to be your old powerwasher!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sitting here in a&e with a broken nose. Was playing neighbouring parish this evening in championship and we hadn't beaten them in 5 years. We were 5 points up with a few minutes to go and they started getting ratty and some fella caught me with a lovely straight right. Meant to be going to a wedding tomorrow. Don't think I'll be standing in for any pictures.

Sitting here in a&e with a broken nose. Was playing neighbouring parish this evening in championship and we hadn't beaten them in 5 years. We were 5 points up with a few minutes to go and they started getting ratty and some fella caught me with a lovely straight right. Meant to be going to a wedding tomorrow. Don't think I'll be standing in for any pictures.

Just get herself you doll you up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I know the family of one of the girls on the squad. Serious achievement. Fair play to them.
    For such a small country, we really punch above our weight.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I know the family of one of the girls on the squad. Serious achievement. Fair play to them.
    For such a small country, we really punch above our weight.

Jill Pinders father used to play hockey in mullingar,
    The local rags will probably be full of it next week.
    They love claiming heroes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Did yiz hold out and win it at least? :-)

Did yiz hold out and win it at least? :-)

We did be god and I'm missing a great night now. If I knew which fella caught me he'd gave been coming to hospital with me. Pure filth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

With any luck the guy will be at the weddin and buy ya a few pints.

More importantly did yas win?

Looks like my mouth has put me in a situation now

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Talking when you were supposed to be listening...!

Snowfire wrote: »
    Talking when you were supposed to be listening...!

Ah that auld chestnut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We did be god and I'm missing a great night now. If I knew which fella caught me he'd gave been coming to hospital with me. Pure filth.

I had my nose broken once in a hurling match. Sore thing. This was before face guards.:D
    Guy was soloing the ball towards me, dropped the ball and belted me straight across the face. Didn't even get a free. To this day, it still maddens me. Know the guys name and all. Often passed him later in college. Scumbag.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Bullocks wrote: »
    Are you working in farming or a different job now? Do I remember you were getting out of the farming awhile back to go working in the buildings?

Thats correct, the new job is on a big road project that has years of work left in it, i was farming in Australia just to get the 2nd year visa for a while too.

Better living everyone

In case people missed this.

There's pelicans in Wexford.

All we're missing now is a few Cubans.

In my opinion,(and it only my opinion) I think if you plan to stay in Oz for even a few years, get sponsorship as soon as you can if they are decent people. You never know what change in immigration circumstances could occur.

My mother was a us citizen, she let it lapse and I had older brothers who couldn’t get into America when they couldn’t get work here.

A lot of my friends got residency/citizenship in oz and then came home. They have back up plans now.

You could be waiting a lifetime for a relative to sponsor you.

He cant sponsor me for some reason or another and i had never planned to have him sponsor me either. The laws have changed on immigration here recently where now you can get sponsored (maybe easier) but you have no pathway to permanent residency. On sponsorship as soon as possible, i know a lad who turned down sponsorship on the hopes of getting his second year visa but never done his regional work, he got investigated and now hes caught between a rock and a hard place out here

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

I had my nose broken once in a hurling match. Sore thing. This was before face guards.:D
    Guy was soloing the ball towards me, dropped the ball and belted me straight across the face. Didn't even get a free. To this day, it still maddens me. Know the guys name and all. Often passed him later in college. Scumbag.
    Much the same with the intent. I'd play hard and get stuck in but wouldn't be one for filthy strokes like that. The manager had to pull me off the field, I was gone ape.

Tough tines on farms here

Better living everyone

What's the treatment for a broken nose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Wexicans Cubans what,s the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Wet sponge, slap on the back and hold your head back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Grueller

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Wet sponge, slap on the back and hold your head back

And hope you are not left with sinus trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Give the other lad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭148multi

We've a couple of very popular Cuban ladies here, they seem to keep some locals entertained ðŸ˜

148multi wrote: »
    We've a couple of very popular Cuban ladies here, they seem to keep some locals entertained ðŸ˜

From Ballyragget, are ya?

• Advertisement

From Ballyragget, are ya?

Not far from ballyregret, see the main suspect was in thailand lately

Better living everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement