Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »
    There's some tracks were I was topping. Was in low second for some of it

I only top in low 2nd/3rd. Joys of good land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Only broke one shear bolt

Only broke one shear bolt

I’ve a few bits of bog dale hit. Real discovery learning going on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Base price wrote: »
    Oops
    The joys of topping.

The joys of Topping Part II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I can only top in low 1st - takes forever.....I sing at full belt all day and end up hoarse:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Glad to hear all the topping woes. I thoughg I was the only one who could have sunk yesterday, who went around a field in 2nd low and got down to pick a few mushrooms along the way. The disk mower is mighty though, and will cut rushes at about two thirds normal revs so I could hear myself singing and the good peltor ear muffs mean I don't have to

I spent most of the time with my eyes half closed, hoping the topper wouldn't break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Normally give rolled oats to cows before calving, see flaked oats
    Would that do either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

Sprayed with Mortone 8 weeks ago. ‘Topped’ Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

mayota wrote: »
    Sprayed with Mortone 8 weeks ago. ‘Topped’ Saturday.

Did u spray before u topped the rushes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Does anyone have an automatic anti backing bar in their crush like the one in the link?

Was wondering are they any good or is it hard to get cattle to walk through them?

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/auto-anti-backen-bar-for-sale/8419675

marathon wrote: »
    Did u spray before u topped the rushes?

Yes. If any regrow I’ll spray again in 4-6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Normally give rolled oats to cows before calving, see flaked oats
    Would that do either?
    The only time I ever came across flaked oats was for horse feed. AFAIK flaked oats are steamed/cooked before rolling and are less dusty than rolled oats. Other than that I don't think there is any difference in nutrient value.

Does anyone have an automatic anti backing bar in their crush like the one in the link?

Was wondering are they any good or is it hard to get cattle to walk through them?

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/auto-anti-backen-bar-for-sale/8419675

I have one of these and the cattle will not walk through them. I can put mine in the open position by resting it on the bar of the crush and it will stay there. When the beast goes past I pull it out so that it is behind them and it works the finest from stopping them going into reverse.
    One thing I will say against mine is that is it a bit of a faff attaching it to the crush. I use it on an out-farm so cannot leave it in place in case it is nicked so it has to be taken off and put on which is almost impossible on your own, certainly takes a good while with much cursing involved!!! As far as I can remember it was quite expensive and I actually prefer one that a neighbour made up out of a few bits lying round his yard that I bought off him for €40 - it does the job and is a lot easier to put up and take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

The joys of Topping Part II

mccormick or case?

When I was topping yesterday there was some type of hawk going crazy around the field. Actually thought he was going to come into the cab of the tractor. He has been squealing since yesterday. I must have disrupted something belonging to him.

mccormick or case?

;) Knew you'd spot that Lakill. CX95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

;) Knew you'd spot that Lakill. CX95

any issue with 4wd carrier bearing? 4 years and only think I had to change , on 3rd one

any issue with 4wd carrier bearing? 4 years and only think I had to change , on 3rd one

No, but there's not been a loader on her either. She needs a clutch at the minute, the first one and there's 8600 hours on her. Had a few niggly fuel problems and issues with the hydraulic pump but nothing major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I get to check them around 10am and 6pm. Some weren’t bulling.
    How much dairy nuts should I give? Thanks for the advice

How have things been since? Did you feed the dairy nuts?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

How have things been since? Did you feed the dairy nuts?

Nothing bulling yet- getting 2kg of it a day and are on good grass. Vet reckoned some were probably in calf. I coiled one cow and she was AIed on Monday last and Tuesday for good measure.

To help things, cattle climbed over a ditch and the bull has a bit of a limp got, have a man coming Monday to check it out and if not hoof, I’ll get vet and while here will blood test him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a faint display of the northern lights tonight if anyone is still up.
    I was just coming in and you could see faint flashes in the northern sky.
    Also a meteorite with a burning trail of smoke and then a shooting star in the space of 5 minutes all from the area looking north.
    The milky way is clearly visible too.
    It's a very clear night.

There's a faint display of the northern lights tonight if anyone is still up.
    I was just coming in and you could see faint flashes in the northern sky.
    Also a meteorite with a burning trail of smoke and then a shooting star in the space of 5 minutes all from the area looking north.
    The milky way is clearly visible too.
    It's a very clear night.
    It is the Perseid meteor shower which is due to peak around now this year.
    I had the pleasure of viewing the Milky Way (visible Universe) from an island in Uganda about 15 years ago. I had to lie on the ground in order to get a decent view of the expanse and that was until the local ants decided I was on the menu for supper. It was a very humbling experience and something I will take to my grave.

I remember watching a BBC series programme narrated by Sam Neil where he compared all the grains of sand in all the beaches on Earth not equal to the number of stars in the Universe.

Galway need 3 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Galway need 3 goals

Sorta reached a predictable conclusion. The blue juggernaut just keeps on rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Galway for the double...................................:D
    I can say that for this week anyway. Great game in thurlas, limerick happier with Galway, last time they won they beat Kilkenny on the way so they are sure the stars are aligned etc efc;)

Mystic meg isn’t a patch on me :D unfortunately a very.very predictable outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Football not a patch on hurling. Wasn't even a sell-out for fecks sake..... and Dublin playing at home.:mad:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Well just in case grass wasn't scarce enough already!

emaherx wrote: »
    Well just in case grass wasn't scarce enough already!

Burnt out car remains in forest near here, came across it while walking dogs - damn lucky the whole lot didn't go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What the hell happened to boards last night. Did the mods overdose on the coke again or was it the hookers this time

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    What the hell happened to boards last night. Did the mods overdose on the coke again or was it the hookers this time

Routine maintenance of some servers ended up being less than routine when they refused to power back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Routine maintenance of some servers ended up being less than routine when they refused to power back up.

Nah it was the hookers

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Just back from the tullamore show. Good day out with the wee man. He must of said 'TRACTOR' about 500 times. Very busy this year. Seemed a bigger crowd then last year.

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Just back from the tullamore show. Good day out with the wee man. He must of said 'TRACTOR' about 500 times. Very busy this year. Seemed a bigger crowd then last year.

Having dinner now on way home. Good day. Wait til he gets older and brings you into the GAA and O’Neill stores, feckin mental.

mayota wrote: »
    Having dinner now on way home. Good day. Wait til he gets older and brings you into the GAA and O’Neill stores, feckin mental.

We are leaning towards the rugby and canterbury stores in this house. Less of them at the agri shows. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

20 month Manmy, was told to about her numerous times on Twitter. Own bull.

Was at Moynalty steam threshing with the kids today. Think I have whiplash from fun fair rides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Reggie. wrote: »

From there twitter account it said the data centre lost power and fu1ked everything up.

Was at Moynalty steam threshing with the kids today. Think I have whiplash from fun fair rides.
    Much of a crowd there? It's strange how it's on the same day as Tullamore each year. We had football and running today so didnt get to go anywhere :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I said I'd run down to check the drys before dinner today as I thought the water pressure was low for the milkers. Walked away down and through the muck to open the wire to the next paddock and turned back when I heard barking.

The yorkie had followed me down and was standing her ground in the gap and refusing to let the cattle through. Fixed the trough and hosed her down in the parlour and she conked out asleep.
    ZvDlDmK.jpg
    I think I've a new farm dog and herself still hasnt a house dog:pac:

• Advertisement

I said I'd run down to check the drys before dinner today as I thought the water pressure was low for the milkers. Walked away down and through the muck to open the wire to the next paddock and turned back when I heard barking.

The yorkie had followed me down and was standing her ground in the gap and refusing to let the cattle through. Fixed the trough and hosed her down in the parlour and she conked out asleep.
    ZvDlDmK.jpg
    I think I've a new farm dog and herself still hasnt a house dog:pac:
    The socks must be her comfy blanket 😊

Much of a crowd there? It's strange how it's on the same day as Tullamore each year. We had football and running today so didnt get to go anywhere :cool:

A massive crowd, think it gets busier each year. I must go to Tullamore next year for a change though.

The socks must be her comfy blanket ��
    She normally sleeps in my shoe. Actually in my shoe, she's tiny:D

If you look closely in the pic above, you can make out her undershot jaw. She was going to be put down until we said we'd take her but it hasn't stopped her being cheeky:)

If you look closely in the pic above, you can make out her undershot jaw. She was going to be put down until we said we'd take her but it hasn't stopped her being cheeky:)

Do it cause any bother eating?

Do it cause any bother eating?
    None at all. No bother with either nuts of meat chunks, she is a great grubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

The sister took 4 of them from a puppy farm that got closed down a few years ago . They all had bad mouths but they are still chewing away

What's she called?

My eldest Rottie was going to be put down as a pup because she had an overshot jaw. We bought her for small money on the promise that we would get her spayed. That was 12 years ago and she is a super guard dog and great with herding the calves and more importantly yearling + FR bulls.
    A pic of her chillaxing.

What's she called?
    We went with Cleo in the end but I call her Chloe more often than Cleo, thb:o

• Advertisement

My eldest Rottie was going to be put down as a pup because she had an overshot jaw. We bought her for small money on the promise that we would get her spayed. That was 12 years ago and she is a super guard dog and great with herding the calves and more importantly yearling + FR bulls.
    A pic of her chillaxing.
    She's gorgeous!

I'd love to get one but I'm starting to run out of space in the tractor now:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement