Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

This time last night I was with the vet as I'd a suckler with milk fever. ....tonight I'm in Limerick A&E with old lad...the calving pen with the vet was more humane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    My eldest Rottie was going to be put down as a pup because she had an overshot jaw. We bought her for small money on the promise that we would get her spayed. That was 12 years ago and she is a super guard dog and great with herding the calves and more importantly yearling + FR bulls.
    A pic of her chillaxing.

She's doing a great job there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Dozer1 wrote: »
    This time last night I was with the vet as I'd a suckler with milk fever. ....tonight I'm in Limerick A&E with old lad...the calving pen with the vet was more humane.

Have you VHI? I'd consider going to one of their clinics, far more humane.
    Had the pleasure of limerick a&e before, wouldn't have minded if they were busy but it was quite and what was going on was a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We went with Cleo in the end but I call her Chloe more often than Cleo, thb:o

As in Renault?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

No VHI he's a few things going on so probably best here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No VHI he's a few things going on so probably best here....
    Vhi clinics wont treat certain ailments anyway and close at 10pm, hope you're not waiting too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

She's gorgeous!

I'd love to get one but I'm starting to run out of space in the tractor now:pac:

There was always one dog besid ethe accelerator which is grand because she was out of the way. Her pup started coming up after her and he stays on the left so every time you get out he has to jump out first and jump in after. The terrier gets a lift up sometimes too but is out of the way looking out the back window:)
    Can be a full cab at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Odelay wrote: »
    Have you VHI? I'd consider going to one of their clinics, far more humane.
    Had the pleasure of limerick a&e before, wouldn't have minded if they were busy but it was quite and what was going on was a disgrace.

I cringe when I see what us taxpayers are getting for our money, we've really no choice but to pay VHI on top of our taxes.
    I've to get a hernia repair in the next few weeks, consultant said he could do it in a private hospital in Dublin or a public hospital nearer here, but he couldn't guarantee when it'd be done in the public hospital as any date he'd give me could be canceled on the day as it wouldn't be urgent....like ffs.
    How do they plan anything in public hospitals, it seems cancellations are regular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    I cringe when I see what us taxpayers are getting for our money, we've really no choice but to pay VHI on top of our taxes.
    I've to get a hernia repair in the next few weeks, consultant said he could do it in a private hospital in Dublin or a public hospital nearer here, but he couldn't guarantee when it'd be done in the public hospital as any date he'd give me could be canceled on the day as it wouldn't be urgent....like ffs.
    How do they plan anything in public hospitals, it seems cancellations are regular
    Will you miss the ploughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Will you miss the ploughing?

No, still haven't definite date, it's only a few hours in hospital, a day case, and don't lift anything for six weeks, It's on my belly button and was repaired before,
    My dog has perfected hitting it with the two paws straight on it if I don't watch her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'll just drop this here. The world is full of insane people.https://twitter.com/evankirstel/status/1028621497928241153?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Urban rural divide isnt as strong here as at home, the drinking culture is a lot stronger here too though.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Urban rural divide isnt as strong here as at home, the drinking culture is a lot stronger here too though.

I think the amount of Irish farmers alone that have bought beer in the Mercantile on St Patricks day would pay for a fair few loads of hay.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I think the amount of Irish farmers alone that have bought beer in the Mercantile on St Patricks day would pay for a fair few loads of hay.:D

Or any given sunday 😂

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I spent a night in A&E way back in February. There were people on trolleys (myself included) pushed into every nook and cranny and surrounded by screens - it reminded me of a lambing shed where the sheep and lambs were separated by pallets/gates, but the animals would have been a lot more comfortable. I see exactly where you are coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

KatyMac wrote: »
    I spent a night in A&E way back in February. There were people on trolleys (myself included) pushed into every nook and cranny and surrounded by screens - it reminded me of a lambing shed where the sheep and lambs were separated by pallets/gates, but the animals would have been a lot more comfortable. I see exactly where you are coming from.

Ya where doing well to get a screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Any recommendations for very thick boot socks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Any recommendations for very thick boot socks?

Bridgedale. I've several pair and find them excellent.

If anyone wants a thread closed down.
    I'm available for a small fee. :)

Closed!!!:P

• Advertisement

Closed!!!:P

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!

Ah it was only half closed... A few posts after yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Anyone have that chart Teagasc had for what costs silage/hay/straw had per kg dm at different prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Our newfoundland dog got a twisted gut last night and had to have an operation in the middle of the night. He is grand again today and hopefully he will stay that way. It was 600 for the operation and meds.
    We had a calf with a broken pee pipe about a month ago that had an operation that cost 120 all in.
    I know what work I would want if I was a vet . In fairness he is a reasonable vet and I'm delighted the dog is OK and probably would have paid more to save him whereas I wouldn't have spent it on the calf

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Bullocks wrote: »
    Our newfoundland dog got a twisted gut last night and had to have an operation in the middle of the night. He is grand again today and hopefully he will stay that way. It was 600 for the operation and meds.
    We had a calf with a broken pee pipe about a month ago that had an operation that cost 120 all in.
    I know what work I would want if I was a vet . In fairness he is a reasonable vet and I'm delighted the dog is OK and probably would have paid more to save him whereas I wouldn't have spent it on the calf

Just wondering if many people have pet insurance? Watching that Supervet program you would have to imagine that most of the people bringing their pets there have insurance when you see the kinda stuff that they get done.

What were the signs. Anything that got a twisted gut here always died quickly

Are ya all set for tomorrow?

He was perfect, had his dinner then the wife brought them for a walk and about half an hour after that he started heaving and his belly swelled up so we went the vet about 10 and the vet watched him for a few hours before operating.
    He said its common enough to happen to large dogs and that it could happen again

Parishlad wrote: »
    Just wondering if many people have pet insurance? Watching that Supervet program you would have to imagine that most of the people bringing their pets there have insurance when you see the kinda stuff that they get done.
    We don't because we can hardly afford it for ourselves and if big money had to be spent I think we would have an animal put down.
    We are very lucky as our two dogs are nearly 10 now and we never had much need for a vet , I think that's a good age for such big dogs.
    The St. Bernard got a bit of arthritis a couple of years ago and the vet said if it got worse we could get tablets but they would be about €60 a week. We are giving her codliver oil since and she's not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We have no insurance on our mongrel. She is alergic to everything except burns dog food. I say she is the most expensive Mongrel in Ireland.

I always thought to get insurance as if she ever needed a big op- the oh would loose her mind if I went to put her down.

Our farm vets are great with small animals and are fair to price for us.

Our dog is 10yo now and great with children and she calls up and sits beside my mother when we are working and away and stays the day beside her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Great to hear he is doing well. That's not simple!

Just in relation to insurance, another good reason to have it is most(if not all) policies also include 3rd party liability so if the dog bites someone, chases sheep or causes an accident on the road you are covered. You may have this on farm insurance anyway though?

For those of you waiting for results tomorrow or parents of those waiting for results, hope you all get what you need.

And if you have a few spare, please send them down here to my nephew:P

For those of you waiting for results tomorrow or parents of those waiting for results, hope you all get what you need.

Little faith :D

I think I'm more nervous than the young lad here :eek:

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think I'm more nervous than the young lad here :eek:

Is he heading out tomorrow night

• Advertisement

Great to hear he is doing well. That's not simple!

Just in relation to insurance, another good reason to have it is most(if not all) policies also include 3rd party liability so if the dog bites someone, chases sheep or causes an accident on the road you are covered. You may have this on farm insurance anyway though?

He said there were 3 of them at the op, he is about 80kg so I suppose it would take a couple of them to get him up on the table haha.
    I don't know about the farm insurance but the house insurance will cover them if they do damage

Reggie. wrote: »
    He's going to the track :rolleyes: He doesnt go out

I think there are a few disco's organised for them. I would be nearly more nervous about kids going to that than the junior cert results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

We don't because we can hardly afford it for ourselves and if big money had to be spent I think we would have an animal put down.
    We are very lucky as our two dogs are nearly 10 now and we never had much need for a vet , I think that's a good age for such big dogs.
    The St. Bernard got a bit of arthritis a couple of years ago and the vet said if it got worse we could get tablets but they would be about €60 a week. We are giving her codliver oil since and she's not too bad.

Reason why I give pedigree dogs a wide berth. Best ones I've had were all rescues that lived to a ripe old age with few if any vet trips

I think there are a few disco's organised for them. I would be nearly more nervous about kids going to that than the junior cert results!
    The Fleadh is on in Drogheda this week , so it could be messy there tomorrow if the leaving certs are there too

• Advertisement

Are ya all set for tomorrow?

I suppose. Be grand either way.id say 85:15 i get the points. Not looking for ward to it though. Its great being un limbo atm:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The Fleadh is on in Drogheda this week , so it could be messy there tomorrow if the leaving certs are there too

If anything like ennis last year- there was plenty of security etc but I got out of dodge early as we had the small lady with us.

Good luck to all

Are they even called disco's anymore?

Yep

Dunno its been awhile since I've been courting to any of them anyhow :D

One of the young lads mates was at a youth disco during the summer (he is 13 ) and was telling us he shifted 7 girls in the one night :eek:

Little faith :D

I'd have a lot more faith if he did a little study :pac:

He'll be grand though. He'll find his own way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

One of the young lads mates was at a youth disco during the summer (he is 13 ) and was telling us he shifted 7 girls in the one night :eek:

He did is his hole, be he never even spoke to one.

Yeah the usual auld story

Yeah the usual auld story

Ask for names so it can be verified

Ask for names so it can be verified

Could you imagine

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement