Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Could you imagine

It's a bit like the I scored 7 goals and 24 points in the game last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ask for names so it can be verified

daughter was home last weekend, had a meet up and a few drinks with some of her old friends

I collected her from the pub and asked was there many out,

"agh 'twas full of young wans with their t$ts hanging out"

"times have changed so"

"what do you mean? "

"not so long ago I used to ask you when were you getting the rest of that skirt you went out in"

on hindsight kinda sorry I did'nt go out myself, just because I'm on a diet does'nt I can't look at the menu :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Any one ever hear of moss being used to treat colds and flues? I came across an old bottle on a dig yesterday that was called irish moss for treatment of cold and flu, was it a gimmick or could theee be something to it i wonder?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

The Fleadh is on in Drogheda this week , so it could be messy there tomorrow if the leaving certs are there too

I'm heading down to it on Saturday, camping at the cousins so hopefully it'll be drier than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭148multi

Any one ever hear of moss being used to treat colds and flues? I came across an old bottle on a dig yesterday that was called irish moss for treatment of cold and flu, was it a gimmick or could theee be something to it i wonder?

Carrageen Moss

I'm heading down to it on Saturday, camping at the cousins so hopefully it'll be drier than here.

Heading in Friday night to some gig. Might bring kids in someday for a few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

148multi wrote: »
    Carrageen Moss

It just said irish moss ill google carrigeen moss.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Any place in midlands preferably, that sells the following off shelf at a reasonable price. By reasonable I mean a commercial price and not the excoriate price I was asked for by a local lad. He wanted the 5 series paid for with each plate

Looking for base plates, top plates, single and double cleats

Local lad asked for €22 for a base plate for a 8x8 rsj. A lad on donedeal was €9.50 for exact same but he is 3 week lead time at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Any place in midlands preferably, that sells the following off shelf at a reasonable price. By reasonable I mean a commercial price and not the excoriate price I was asked for by a local lad. He wanted the 5 series paid for with each plate

Local lad asked for €22 for a base plate for a 8x8 rsj. A lad on donedeal was €9.50 for exact same but he is 3 week lead time at a minimum

Midland steel and cladding Kilbeggan ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Oxley in kinnegad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

orm0nd wrote: »
    daughter was home last weekend, had a meet up and a few drinks with some of her old friends

I collected her from the pub and asked was there many out,

"agh 'twas full of young wans with their t$ts hanging out"

"times have changed so"

"what do you mean? "

"not so long ago I used to ask you when were you getting the rest of that skirt you went out in"

on hindsight kinda sorry I did'nt go out myself, just because I'm on a diet does'nt I can't look at the menu :D :rolleyes:

I tell my OH that I only got married, I didn't get castrated :D

Went to check cattle before getting leaving cert results. Angus cow calving. Scanned with twins. Both out alive. Bull and heifer. Separate sacks, so should be OK. Got leaving results, happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Carrageen moss boiled in milk. We would use it more for coughs. But I wouldn’t be a fan of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Went to check cattle before getting leaving cert results. Angus cow calving. Scanned with twins. Both out alive. Bull and heifer. Separate sacks, so should be OK. Got leaving results, happy enough.

So, leaving results get mentioned after a good calving. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

So, leaving results get mentioned after a good calving. :D

First calves from a new bull we bought. Have had a day of it today. Sooner school is open again the better. Off to a gaelic blitz now. If ever you want rain just go to the pitch I'm going to tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

468 points here...should be enough for ag science in ucd. Could of been better but couldve been a lot worse also

468 points here...should be enough for ag science in ucd. Could of been better but couldve been a lot worse also

Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I look forward to seeing you run down my stabilizers when your my Teagasc adviser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Eldest did her LC here, looks like she got enough for her course. Now where did I leave my cheque book.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing you run down my stabilizers when your my Teagasc adviser

Hopefully wont be within an asses roar of meath nevermind a stabiliser! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

If you're going doing ag, tonight is start of 4 years of excessive drining :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Enjoy tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Well done.
    Ucd is a great spot. I’ve met more friends to chat farming with in 3 yrs here than I did in 18 years down the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Just listening to the news as gaeilge. There is obviously no irish for "Crack Cocaine"
    Sounded quiet funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Anyone having any issues with coccidiosis?

A couple being treated for it here and I've heard of some losing stock to it. And not calves. Strong cattle out on grass.
    If it's not on your radar, might be no harm to keep an eye out for that dark scour and blood in it. Always easier to see on lighter coloured cattle.

Tidying up the place here. Have an old IBC that I used for diesel but leaked. Going to keep the cage for plastic wrap but how do I get rid of the plastic insert ? Who will take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Tidying up the place here. Have an old IBC that I used for diesel but leaked. Going to keep the cage for plastic wrap but how do I get rid of the plastic insert ? Who will take it?

i'd say IFFPG will take them, pretty sure they're the same plastic as the dose drums etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

A couple being treated for it here and I've heard of some losing stock to it. And not calves. Strong cattle out on grass.
    If it's not on your radar, might be no harm to keep an eye out for that dark scour and blood in it. Always easier to see on lighter coloured cattle.

We are having problems with it. Got the vet out on Monday. Calves are out in the field coming down with it which is unusual. One was in a bad way. Not usual for us to have it when they are outside. These are all suck calves thou- none over a month old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I use the plastic insert to hold the net

Was going to say that or use both for holding the wrap

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. Never thought of using the insert for either . One last question - about how many wraps would they hold?

There's no net on our bales this year. It's a white plastic instead.

Cost €100 to fill the jeep this evening. A long time since it cost that much. Creeping up in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Cost €100 to fill the jeep this evening. A long time since it cost that much. Creeping up in price

How many miles will that get you ? Mine takes about 110 now and I get about 450/500 miles depending on short or long trips

Bullocks wrote: »
    How many miles will that get you ? Mine takes about 110 now and I get about 450/500 miles depending on short or long trips

450 max.

Thanks lads. Never thought of using the insert for either . One last question - about how many wraps would they hold?

Could hold a good 40 or 50 wraps I'd say

Does the one dose they get for it as calves cover them forever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I seen somewhere lately that there is going to be a collection/drop off available for old tyres lying around yards. Anyone know any more about that? I've a heap of tyres from when we had a pit that need to be got rid of before the auld lad decides the best thing to do would be burn them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ours on the outfarm have a dark scour.....but only cause the dirty fcuks are eating blackberries!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Ours on the outfarm have a dark scour.....but only cause the dirty fcuks are eating blackberries!! :pac:

Fodder crisis solved, blackberries for all, and so easy to grow in any weather ;)

Farmer wrote: »
    Fodder crisis solved, blackberries for all, and so easy to grow in any weather ;)

Lovely purple, Vitamin C infused milk too :D
    Few of them learned it one year they had little grass, picked up how to nibble the off the briars. And now they're all at it!

Few of them learned it one year they had little grass, picked up how to nibble the off the briars. And now they're all at it!

Only in Leitrim could ye get the cattle eating briars to save grass :D

Only in Leitrim could ye get the cattle eating briars to save grass :D

Ye won't be smiling when I've all the grass left at Christmas!!! Will be getting them to try out the sloes next. Must be tasty to them though, be nice to get a change of something sweet instead of plain old delicious grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'd be doing it myself!

Ye won't be smiling when I've all the grass left at Christmas!!! Will be getting them to try out the sloes next. Must be tasty to them though, be nice to get a change of something sweet instead of plain old delicious grass.

What about the come down when they have to face into silage though ? They will be sorry they ever expanded their range in tastes then

• Advertisement

What about the come down when they have to face into silage though ? They will be sorry they ever expanded their range in tastes then

They'll be so fed up of ploshing through muck that they'd ate the shed walls I reckon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭148multi

You'll end up with violet beauregarde cows, sure that might not be a bad thing. Now if you could train them to eat Rush's ,bingo ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We give Bovicox to all the calves within a day or so of arrival. Had a bit of an issue with cocci in a batch earlier in the Summer. One was showing traces of blood in the scour and three others were starting to become depressed and scour. Our Vet suggested dosing that particular batch again. We did and along with effydral tablets it cleared it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

148multi wrote: »
    You'll end up with violet beauregarde cows, sure that might not be a bad thing. Now if you could train them to eat Rush's ,bingo ðŸ˜

I beg your pardon but in the lady's defence she has licked all the rushs in Leitrim to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I don't know that. But when you're dosing heifers 500 kgs it's a costly dose. Better than losing one though. And they're responding to it well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement