Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nope. But I'll watch it later.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It was a gift bought for me on Amazon.

My own father got a lend of one hell of a good book lately.
    "Cattle breeds in Ireland. A history."
    By Greg Walsh.
    The content from the breeders in Ireland and photographs is something else.

Think Buford is/was reading that one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'll see ye's all again on the other side.
    I may be a while. :pac:
    20180818_225456.jpg

Could never understand why soil is called "dirt" in the US?

Dirt is the detritus you find after sweeping the kitchen floor. And has all types of negative connotations such as 'dirty' 'dirtbag' etc etc

Soil is what things grow in. It's what provides the medium for nearly all the food grown on the planet. It provides a home for billions of microorganisms and bacteria which help in the recycling of nutrients and the break down of dead matter.

So how do Americans know if what whether someone is talking about a good podzol or a heap of dust and shyte from the living room carpet ?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Think Buford is/was reading that one too.

I hope Greg Walsh is not reading this but the €50 retail price could have another €100 added on to it and still be worth it.

You'd nearly want a sack truck to carry it around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Puck sake, limerick man in Croatia with work. In an irish pub, there is me, three Croatian bar staff, no other customers and no hurling:( some crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Odelay wrote: »
    Puck sake, limerick man in Croatia with work. In an irish pub, there is me, three Croatian bar staff, no other customers and no hurling:( some crack.

Is it on Sky? Know anyone with sky go? Skype call? Radio one?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

He wasn't much of a farmer though. :pac:
    It seems he had a field like Greenfield's in Kilkenny when his children were young.

20 years later it was said a horse could gallop across the field without hitting a stone. He dug down and sure enough a few inches down the stones were still there. The worms had just buried them in soil over the years.

Did the worms bury them or did the stones sink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

If all else fails it's 20e on gaago https://www.gaago.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The double double is on now for Galway. Minors just beat Kilkenny.

No harm to Galway but I'd love to see Limerick do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Should be a cracking game.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Is it on Sky? Know anyone with sky go? Skype call? Radio one?

Gonna go back to the hotel and listen to it on the radio. Tried the gaago app but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Start posting on their fb page

ganmo wrote: »
    Start posting on their fb page

They didn't even know there was a game on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

https://www.reddit.com/r/GAA/comments/98iltz/match_thread_all_ireland_hurling_final_2018/
    Few streams there

You might find a stream on Facebook if you search for Galway v limerick and look through the live videos.

They shouldn’t be allowed to call themselves an Irish bar

Should be a cracking game.

Great championship so far this year.
    The football never really got going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

Great championship so far this year.
    The football never really got going.

Mayo going out early was a big loss to the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Grueller

Owens is dogging Galway
    Edit:
    Opposite now he dogging Limerick

Grueller wrote: »
    Owens is dogging Galway

Dogging limerick now.

• Advertisement

Now Galway again. As poor a refereeing performance in an All Ireland as I have seen in years.

Now Galway again. As poor a refereeing performance in an All Ireland as I have seen in years.

Some strange calls alright. Limerick well on top everywhere but the scoreboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

More wides in that first half than felt was in complete championship. Ref very poor bit allowing game to flow. Allot of very poor wides also

Some strange calls alright. Limerick well on top everywhere but the scoreboard.

How do you feel today Clare given that ye were possibly the best team in the championship and are sandwiched between both counties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ref poor alright. I'd say lads are as frustrated wondering what way calls would go

What a great last 10 mins!

What a great last 10 mins!

Mediocre match up to that . canning almost won it but limerick probably deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Won't be a cow milked in Moyross for a week !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Well done limerick, the better team on the day. Great last 10 mins

• Advertisement

How do you feel today Clare given that ye were possibly the best team in the championship and are sandwiched between both counties?

The best team always wins, limerick winning is good for the game I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Well done to Limerick
    Jesus that Mullane on radio one what a tool

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Well done to Limerick
    Jesus that Mullane on radio one what a tool

I despise him. Great hurler but woeful pundit

Gonna go back to the hotel and listen to it on the radio. Tried the gaago app but no joy.

Did ya catch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Won't be a cow milked in Moyross for a week !

They are good to milk in Moyross but it is not cows they milk. Well done Limerick huge win for them. Very young team if they can keep it together they could win one or two more in the next 5-6 years.

Slava Ukrainii

They are good to milk in Moyross but it is not cows they milk. Well done Limerick huge win for them. Very young team if they can keep it together they could win one or two more in the next 5-6 years.

I thought that about clare in2013 and galway last year...very hard feat when the competition is so tough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

This is the only cow being milked in Limerick tonight, and she's lucky at that.

I thought that about clare in2013 and galway last year...very hard feat when the competition is so tough

Yes it could go that way as well but round robin may well keep them in it and these games will bring young teams on. The round robin kept Galway in it this year with all the matches. But a third placed finish may suit Limerick again next year. The teams that were most successfull this were the ones with the younger players. cannot see any team doing 3 in a row for the next 5-6 years. Back to back wins well be hard got but you would imagine that Clare, Limerick and Galway will influence the next 4-6 Championship's

Slava Ukrainii

Did ya catch it?

Listened on the radio online. Was half glad I didn't see the last few minutes!
    Celebrating with a steak dinner in Zagreb. Dining outside in 31 degrees.
    The talent walking around is a fair distraction....

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Took a spin through Limerick city( after wife attached limerick flags) Will be lively later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

A day to live long in the memories. Emotional at the end up in the davin after years of hurt and near misses to finally do it. At least well have a shorter winter now. Com limerick !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Paudee wrote: »
    This is the only cow being milked in Limerick tonight, and she's lucky at that.

When will she be milked next is the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Delighted for Shane Dowling. He has given some service to club and county.
    Came on as sub today and got only 2 balls, one he stuck in in the net.
    He mentioned Liam Kennedy in the interview. Liam taught me and I played on the school hurling team under him. He was an absolute gent and sadly passed away last year.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/its-all-ive-ever-wanted-since-i-was-a-young-fella-limerick-goal-hero-shane-dowling-gives-epic-postgame-interview-37230826.html

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Limericks win brought a tear to my eye as I recalled my dear Grandfather, a Limerick man who got to see the 73' win after being denied the pleasure of the the 1936 and 40 wins as a young man when he was locked up by the Christian Brothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Limerick by far the better team but the obvious play for a draw by the good old grab all association was incredibly blatant. Almost 9 minutes injury time played when it Galway were gathering steam nearing full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I knew a few of the '73 team for different reasons

had a chuckle reading a interview with R Bennis who said they would probarbly have won in 74 as well, only they were still celebrating, & got caught on the hop in munster

no robins or back doors them days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The talent walking around is a fair distraction....

Pictures, or GTFO

Willfarman wrote: »
    Limerick by far the better team but the obvious play for a draw by the good old grab all association was incredibly blatant. Almost 9 minutes injury time played when it Galway were gathering steam nearing full time.

TBF there was a lot of injuries and stoppages in the 2nd half. There was 8 minutes of extra time, he played around 9. There was a stopage for an injury in extra time as well.

Slava Ukrainii

Willfarman wrote: »

I knew there'd be plenty of injury time. It was easily warranted.
    Whatever the GAA grab, ( and I don't believe the do) they give back in bucket fulls. There is no organisation that means so much to its people.

My club membership is €100 pa for the family. The best 100 quid I spend, it's a no brainer. Between the young lads there's hardly an evening that one of them hasn't training or a match.
    Long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I knew there'd be plenty of injury time. It was easily warranted.
    Whatever the GAA grab, ( and I don't believe the do) they give back in bucket fulls. There is no organisation that means so much to its people.

My club membership is €100 pa for the family. The best 100 quid I spend, it's a no brainer. Between the young lads there's hardly an evening that one of them hasn't training or a match.
    Long may it last.

Huge amount of voluntary workers too, there's people in your area probably giving ten times your contribution in kind, you're very lucky if you're getting away with throwing in €100.
    Whether GAA is a grab all or not would depend on how much of the central funds comes back to local clubs or is it another organisation cashing in on local people working for nothing
    I used to supervise kids in another organisation and found it hard not to think it was just a free babysitting service

BTW, I would agree that the extra nine minutes injury time were well justified

wrangler wrote: »
    Huge amount of voluntary workers too, there's people in your area probably giving ten times your contribution in kind, you're very lucky if you're getting away with throwing in €100.
    Whether GAA is a grab all or not would depend on how much of the central funds comes back to local clubs or is it another organisation cashing in on local people working for nothing
    I used to supervise kids in another organisation and found it hard not to think it was just a free babysitting service

The answer to the first part is it is unlikly that you will get away with the 100 euro. I think 90% of funds raised by central councils goes back to the Counties and the clubs off the top of my head.

Volanteerism is about volunteering not about worrying what happens. TBH it annoys me the way people refer to the GAA as the grab all association. I am involved in a club. Yes your main team at what ever level will swallow most of you money . But right across the club expenses are horrendus. It is not just insurance and players insurance

We are a dual club. Slitor bill for the club will run into 1K/year and Footballs 3-500 euro. We no longer pay for broken hurleys or physio bills. Yes we have a club debt but as well we have pitch maintenamce. This year it cost about 3K to sort an issue with the plumbing in the dressing rooms and that was for plumbing supplies as it was an older player that did the job for nothing.

One thing I see about the GAA the local lad or girl that plays into there late teens and early twenties usually stays away from cigerettes and drugs. Mind you they nearly all will take a drink.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement