Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the lovely girls competition ?

Actually at the lovely girls competition. Well, outside anyway.

All I can say is clothes sizes must have changed but they forgot to tell the girls...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Interesting talk by Nicole Masters from New Zealand on farmers/ranchers implementing regenerative farming practices.

http://radiocafe.media/downtoearth-nicole-masters/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Any recommendations for a hooked dosing gun? Thinking about buying one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

rushvalley wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a hooked dosing gun? Thinking about buying one.
    Sometimes you can get one free when buying dosing, they are a great job

2 of the kids were looking for new bikes, picked up 2 at 30 and 35 euro on local fb selling groups, one is more or less brand new. Plenty of miles being put up on them this evening. Seems to be plenty of bikes bought for kids that arent used at all. Was reading something there recently that one third of kids now cant ride a bike :(

2 of the kids were looking for new bikes, picked up 2 at 30 and 35 euro on local fb selling groups, one is more or less brand new. Plenty of miles being put up on them this evening. Seems to be plenty of bikes bought for kids that arent used at all. Was reading something there recently that one third of kids now cant ride a bike :(
    There were kids starting at our local school last year that couldn't tie their laces. At 6 years old!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

There were kids starting at our local school last year that couldn't tie their laces. At 6 years old!:confused:

Ah the upcoming generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

We got 2 mountain bikes free to collect during the summer. Brought them home and pumped the wheels going strong since. Even took one to France for the holidays

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah the upcoming generation
    Are you working(will you be there ) :) for the popes visit ?

• Advertisement

Knock.

Knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Whose dare

dzer2 wrote: »
    Whose dare

Reggie and the Pope on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

My car is going in for repairs 2mora morning and Enterprise are providing a car for the two days it’ll take.
    Anyone been in this situation before, is it like for like or will I end up driving a Fiat 500 for two days?!

Got the car back this afternoon, charged €250 for €1700 worth.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Adverts can be good too , unreal value out there in some things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »

Your secondary school reunions must be very positive places.

Only joking but it is sobering reading.

I have the local plant hire contractor in with a track machine at the moment. He is a neighbour of a local high profile beef farmer. During the snow in March he got a call from this farmer that the tractor wouldn't start and could he help. 6 weeks after an operation on his back he lugged a battery across 3 fields in the snow and started the tractor. They are on high ground and had 7 foot drifts on the road. The contractor went home, started the digger and spent 3 days clearing roads free of charge.

Fast forward 3 weeks to when the farmer was letting out cattle. The contractor gets a call from him to say he broke 4 stakes when clearing the road and would he go down and fix them after himself as he wanted to put cattle in that field. The contractor did it as he is a quiet fella but swears the tractor will never start again if it is relying on his help.
    I know where I would have put the broken stakes, jagged end first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Are you working(will you be there ) :) for the popes visit ?

Would be if I was around. Heading off elsewhere to misbehave myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Bullocks wrote: »
    Adverts can be good too , unreal value out there in some things

Picked up a mole plough suited for a 6-10 machine or 3cx amd 2ft bucket with as new teeth for small money this evening.

Going to flip the bucket and I’ll set the mole plough for tractor as it’s to big for my 3t digger.

Raging it’s to big but I wasn’t leaving them behind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Grueller wrote: »
    I have the local plant hire contractor in with a track machine at the moment. He is a neighbour of a local high profile beef farmer. During the snow in March he got a call from this farmer that the tractor wouldn't start and could he help. 6 weeks after an operation on his back he lugged a battery across 3 fields in the snow and started the tractor. They are on high ground and had 7 foot drifts on the road. The contractor went home, started the digger and spent 3 days clearing roads free of charge.

Fast forward 3 weeks to when the farmer was letting out cattle. The contractor gets a call from him to say he broke 4 stakes when clearing the road and would he go down and fix them after himself as he wanted to put cattle in that field. The contractor did it as he is a quiet fella but swears the tractor will never start again if it is relying on his help.
    I know where I would have put the broken stakes, jagged end first.

Why didn't he charge him for the three days work??

Odelay wrote: »

Or the breakdown call out.

Odelay wrote: »

Sorry I wasn't clear. He was clearing public roads for all neighbours.

Or the breakdown call out.

Or just shoved the posts up his selfish hole.

Or just shoved the posts up his selfish hole.

I heard of an incident about 25 miles away. Where a lad was attacked and a broken wooden curtain pole was shoved where the sun doesn’t shine. Same as the love hate scene.

They destroyed the lad.

Your secondary school reunions must be very positive places.

Only joking but it is sobering reading.

He's a realist and doesn't agree with subsidies.....don't think he likes farming either.
    He was a good bit older than me, he went on to be president of the students union when he was in Trinity,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Just got a call from my mate in Zimbabwe

Got call from a number with a 222 prefix this morning. Apparently it is from Mauritania. While some might be annoyed by these calls I find them educational. A quick Google search tells me it is an Islamic country in N.W. Africa and the 11th largest in Africa. The capital city is Nouakchett and the currency is the Ouguiya.
    The joke will be on the caller if a question on the Mauritanian capital/currency comes up at a table quiz I'm at. As the saying goes 'It's an ill wind......

Anyone go to the alternative energy show in Gurteen, I was delivering wool in roscrea and came back that way, It was very interesting.
    A lot of the stuff is very industrial, but Pat Smiths company had a nice domestic set up with PV solar panels.
    In our innocence we bought an Electric Aga here in the early noughties and boy does it use electricity so making our own power would be very attractive. Interesting too that Pat has Eddie downeys brother, also Pat, working with him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Anyone go to the alternative energy show in Gurteen, I was delivering wool in roscrea and came back that way, It was very interesting.
    A lot of the stuff is very industrial, but Pat Smiths company had a nice domestic set up with PV solar panels.
    In our innocence we bought an Electric Aga here in the early noughties and boy does it use electricity so making our own power would be very attractive. Interesting too that Pat has Eddie downeys brother, also Pat, working with him now
    Do you have night rate electricity. I know someone who has one and the cost of running it wouldn't be an issue.

Base price wrote: »
    Do you have night rate electricity. I know someone who has one and the cost of running it wouldn't be an issue.

About €40/week, with night rate, I suppose if you had a dairy farm you wouldn't notice it on the bill

According to pat :rolleyes: a €10000 plus grant kit would run our complete house with 25sq mtr of panels

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Was there for most of the day in a work capacity. Hoping Mr Naughton would annouce roll out of the renewable heat incentive. Its going to come but when !

• Advertisement

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Was there for most of the day in a work capacity. Hoping Mr Naughton would annouce roll out of the renewable heat incentive. Its going to come but when !

Yea, see Quinns giving a guaranteed price on Miscantus...kinda missed a trick there ....lads around here are taking town sewerage on to Miscanthus and getting a nice bonus as well...it'd be win win if it was included in renewable heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭148multi

Well L+L have a cow due next week, caught a scut of a yearling suckling her, separated them and put Stockholm tar on her, am worried about mastitis should i do anything else, Tia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Got call from a number with a 222 prefix this morning. Apparently it is from Mauritania. While some might be annoyed by these calls I find them educational. A quick Google search tells me it is an Islamic country in N.W. Africa and the 11th largest in Africa. The capital city is Nouakchett and the currency is the Ouguiya.
    The joke will be on the caller if a question on the Mauritanian capital/currency comes up at a table quiz I'm at. As the saying goes 'It's an ill wind......

Had 2 missed calls from Somalia today and now a 3rd one through Viber! It must be important maybe I should call them back :D

......I hope it's not about the heifer we sent off with Bothar last year.... Do you think she was in calf? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just wondering this today...........
    If you're feeding high protein meal to weanlings, if you feed slightly more of a lower % protein meal, is it the same thing.

For example, does 1.8kgs of a 16% protein mix have the same amount of protein as 1.6kg of a 18% mix? :cool:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Yea, see Quinns giving a guaranteed price on Miscantus...kinda missed a trick there ....lads around here are taking town sewerage on to Miscanthus and getting a nice bonus as well...it'd be win win if it was included in renewable heat
    The whole industry in relation to biomass burners is at standstill at the moment. Grant scheme and structures are out there since esrly this year but obviously no one doing anything until the scheme is up and running. Going to be serious pressure on suppliers and installers once it kicks off.

Something that struck me on the way home and should have thought to check it out. Pat Lee in Wicklow like others does a burner that takes a full round bale. Obviously with straw going to be scarce what is the calorific return from rushes !! Could be a market yet if we were to get more summers like this !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

In London for a week- my eldest sister is getting married. Like limerick in the hurling, we are waiting a long time for it. We had all lost hope and about 2 months after dad dying, she met a fella.

Do ya think I can sleep in a strange bedroom? Can I feck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

If you're feeding high protein meal to weanlings, if you feed slightly more of a lower % protein meal, is it the same thing.

For example, does 1.8kgs of a 16% protein mix have the same amount of protein as 1.6kg of a 18% mix? :cool:

Nope. if ya want cheap protein feed grade urea is high protein :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Yeah, they'd get exactly the same amount of protein from both those servings.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Yeah, they'd get exactly the same amount of protein from both those servings.

Oh sorry mis read it. Ya same grammes of protein but a 16% ration fed to supply the same grammes as an 18% won’t have the same results due to what’s replaced that 2% protein in the ration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Was asked last night by a neighbour would this plan work.

They planned to cut silage in the next fortnight and like everyone else are short of fodder. They had planned to roll out round bales of barley straw on the floor of a silo pit about three or four on top of each other and then cover the straw with the grass.
    Then when it came to feeding in the winter they would just cut it out with the grab.

I had my reservations about it, so has anyone tried it or would it work?

Would the silage ferment okay as I thought their might be too many air pockets in the straw as it might not get rolled compact enough.

I don't know how the feeding of it would work either as you'd only be getting a grab of silage or a grab of straw and not exactly well mixed together.

My advice to him was go and hire a diet feeder for the winter and mix the straw and silage that way, at least you'll be sure your silage will be fine when you open the pit.

Would it work?

They planned to cut silage in the next fortnight and like everyone else are short of fodder. They had planned to roll out round bales of barley straw on the floor of a silo pit about three or four on top of each other and then cover the straw with the grass.
    Then when it came to feeding in the winter they would just cut it out with the grab.

Would the silage ferment okay as I thought their might be too many air pockets in the straw as it might not get rolled compact enough.

I don't know how the feeding of it would work either as you'd only be getting a grab of silage or a grab of straw and not exactly well mixed together.

My advice to him was go and hire a diet feeder for the winter and mix the straw and silage that way, at least you'll be sure your silage will be fine when you open the pit.

Would it work?

I was gonna say the straw won't preserve but https://www.ajas.info/upload/pdf/6-55.pdf
    if he's adding an additive to his silage i'd say plow on

Had 2 working examples of this

1 a large tillage & pig man. In 2003 I think he cut a pit of silage and then in September he picked up the straw in 2 fields and put it in the pit and capped it with grass. Same as putting wholecrop into a pit but this had been through the combine first so was straw only. This lad had a diet feeder

also the same year a lot earlier in the year we put grass in for a lad and ever few foot in the pit he put in layers of straw and then molasses also. It was very wet and he said the straw would allow the water to soak away without the pit shifting and splitting. this lad ran a good herd of dairy cows and had no diet feeder.

Would it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

In London for a week- my eldest sister is getting married. Like limerick in the hurling, we are waiting a long time for it. We had all lost hope and about 2 months after dad dying, she met a fella.

Do ya think I can sleep in a strange bedroom? Can I feck.
    The remedy is called nightcap, enjoy

Sent the boss lady off to collect a starter motor for the digger I ordered Wednesday evening.

Just got this this picture along with “ seriously”

So it’s a security pig. Now no double meanings please

Ah feck it the picture size is 1.80mb but limit is 1.00mb

Sent the boss lady off to collect a starter motor for the digger I ordered Wednesday evening.

Just got this this picture along with “ seriously”

So it’s a security pig. Now no double meanings please

Ah feck it the picture size is 1.80mb but limit is 1.00mb

Watched RED last night
    hqdefault.jpg

I suggest sending via whats app to someone and saving it again from the chat

Would it work?
    Why go to all that work when he could just roll a bale out in front of the cows and throw the grabs of silage on top of it. It's generally what we do to stretch silage, just 5 minutes to bring the straw out, cut the net and roll along the feed face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Why go to all that work when he could just roll a bale out in front of the cows and throw the grabs of silage on top of it. It's generally what we do to stretch silage, just 5 minutes to bring the straw out, cut the net and roll along the feed face.

Butford if you knew them they love hardship. There about five brothers of them all with sons who run the farms, so it's a complete menagerie.
    They rent quite a bit of ground all across the country and once they were moving lambs in a big 22ft trailer, to save time two of the sons were dosing the lambs in the trailer whilst being pulled along the roads by the tractor. :D

Butford if you knew them they love hardship. There about five brothers of them all with sons who run the farms, so it's a complete menagerie.
    They rent quite a bit of ground all across the country and once they were moving lambs in a big 22ft trailer, to save time two of the sons were dosing the lambs in the trailer whilst being pulled along the roads by the tractor. :D

efficiency! I like it

but dosing and moving is a nono now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Would it work?

There is farmers in the uk putting a combination of forage into pits for self feeding ill look it up tomorrow for you.

Better living everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement