Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just saw a photo from Dublin.
    Where was the Skoda?
    That was a Dodge Ram pickup he was standing in.

(Are jokes about Second Cummins allowed? :D )

He got a lift in from the airport in a skids and then got toured around in the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ganmo wrote: »
    He got a lift in from the airport in a skids and then got toured around in the box

There was an awful hullabaloo made about this Skoda before.
    He was at the Aras then to Dublin castle in it anyway.
    https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/posts/2155954218061889/

It seems this Dodge ram was used in his Mexico visit.

I was with him on his ecological message.
    However now I'm wondering "Is it ok if we all drive Dodge Rams father?".

Edit: The pope/Vatican must of fell out with Fiat for this trip to Ireland. They used a Chrysler jeep for the U.S. visits. And fiat owns Chrysler. Actually scrap that, fiat owns Dodge too.
    The skoda is the odd one out.
    It must have been a personal choice by the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Or is it who paid the most to get their name on the jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Was talking to a half kiwi half Afrikaaner last night, he was saying things are so bad there that his family is just waiting for the day they try to call there farmer friend over there and the phone just keeps ringing out that must be a terrible life to be living over there. He was also describing the tactics that the gangs are using over there how there has been no outside intervention yet i dont know.

Better living everyone

Was talking to a half kiwi half Afrikaaner last night, he was saying things are so bad there that his family is just waiting for the day they try to call there farmer friend over there and the phone just keeps ringing out that must be a terrible life to be living over there. He was also describing the tactics that the gangs are using over there how there has been no outside intervention yet i dont know.
    Is it any different to what occurred here in the IRA running landlords off their land and torching their houses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Is it any different to what occurred here in the IRA running landlords off their land and torching their houses?

Or is it any different to the British running the Irish off their lands before that

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Or is it any different to the British running the Irish off their lands before that

Bit different.

Vigilante groups modelling themselves on a military army with the unofficial support of the government in charge would have more in common with the former than the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bit different.

Vigilante groups modelling themselves on a military army with the unofficial support of the government in charge would have more in common with the former than the latter.

Just to clarify, the British running Irish people off their lands was no way legitimate, no matter what angle or spin is put on it.

_Brian wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the British running Irish people off their lands was no way legitimate, no matter what angle or spin is put on it.

I'm defending nobody.

It's all wrong.

However history was never as black and white as that.
    If you go back to the pre Norman times.
    Farming in Ireland was mostly nomadic cattle rearing moving herds around with no clear boundaries and disputes/wars between neighbouring warlords.
    Vikings come in and raid the country and trade with various warlords who capture slaves for sale from neighbouring warlords. The Viking settlement of Dublin becomes the largest slave trading centre in Europe.
    The Normans come in and establish military supremacy over the Vikings and Irish. Feudalism is imported with the Normans and the landlord and serfs who must pay land leases/tax is brought in.
    Various rebellions later between Normans and new English and Irish against Irish and we are where we are today.

You can open a factory, retail chain, mine, tractor dealership, etc all owned by foreign investors in a country and the people will love you.
    Have a farm and land owned by foreign or people perceived to be foreign and people get all in a tissy and throw hissy fits and resort to violence.
    It doesn't say much for the logic of the human race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Unfortunately, for our young people, the landlord is back. This time he may wear a different suit but, like before, tenants are kept in poverty by high rents, artificially high house prices and insecure employment terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Farmer wrote: »
    Unfortunately, for our young people, the landlord is back. This time he may wear a different suit but, like before, tenants are kept in poverty by high rents, artificially high house prices and insecure employment terms.

Was it ever any different, Young people always had to work hard to buy houses, houses that were half the size of what they're buying now......would young people live in a 1200 sq ft house now with no fitted kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

They would to be fair rangler. There’s no value at the minute in a house that an affordable mortgage can buy. Have a look see what 200000 buys. A 1200 square foot house with very basic finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Willfarman wrote: »
    They would to be fair rangler. There’s no value at the minute in a house that an affordable mortgage can buy. Have a look see what 200000 buys. A 1200 square foot house with very basic finish.

And what’s the problem with that?

People nowadays, young in particular, would rather spend 40 or 50 Euro on brunch than save for a house. They want everything as well as the house, not realising that generations before had to skimp and scrap for years to get a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm defending nobody.

It's all wrong.

However history was never as black and white as that.
    If you go back to the pre Norman times.
    Farming in Ireland was mostly nomadic cattle rearing moving herds around with no clear boundaries and disputes/wars between neighbouring warlords.
    Vikings come in and raid the country and trade with various warlords who capture slaves for sale from neighbouring warlords. The Viking settlement of Dublin becomes the largest slave trading centre in Europe.
    The Normans come in and establish military supremacy over the Vikings and Irish. Feudalism is imported with the Normans and the landlord and serfs who must pay land leases/tax is brought in.
    Various rebellions later between Normans and new English and Irish against Irish and we are where we are today.

You can open a factory, retail chain, mine, tractor dealership, etc all owned by foreign investors in a country and the people will love you.
    Have a farm and land owned by foreign or people perceived to be foreign and people get all in a tissy and throw hissy fits and resort to violence.
    It doesn't say much for the logic of the human race.
    Who ever said that the human race was logic :rolleyes:

There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s wranglers post I’m taking issue with. My dad was able to build and furnish a bungalow for his parents and build a roof over himself, keep a family and wife at home on 100 acres dry stock and put away a good nest egg.. I can’t put a roof on the hen house and if my missus wasn’t working the roof over our 1800 sq ft house wouldn’t be paid for either!

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Was it ever any different, Young people always had to work hard to buy houses, houses that were half the size of what they're buying now......would young people live in a 1200 sq ft house now with no fitted kitchen
    So true. When I started off we (ex hubbie and I) didn't have to buy a site so sorta got away with only the building costs for the house. We borrowed IR£40,000 and that built a 1300 sq ft house. I think at the time the first time buyers grant only covered 1300 sq ft. Anyway what we moved into it it was a house without any furnishings other than 2 loos, a bath and a fitted kitchen minus a cooker and fridge. I remember nailing a few 4" nails into the timber of the bedroom window and hanging an old wool blanket as a curtain. We decorated each room as money became available. I had to learn how to lay/grout tiles, use a sowing machine to make curtains but on the upside we had a rotovator to prepare the seed bed for the garden.
    TBH my lads would live anywhere as they were not reared with notions.

Willfarman wrote: »
    There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s wranglers post I’m taking issue with. My dad was able to build and furnish a bungalow for his parents and build a roof over himself, keep a family and wife at home on 100 acres dry stock and put away a good nest egg.. I can’t put a roof on the hen house and if my missus wasn’t working the roof over our 1800 sq ft house wouldn’t be paid for either!
    In fairness when I got married I was working full time and earning a good salary at the time. At that time my salary was the only consistent/regular input and that kept the wheels on the wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

eldest 2 back to school tomorrow for a couple of hrs, daughter super organised, son can't even locate his shoes!!

eldest 2 back to school tomorrow for a couple of hrs, daughter super organised, son can't even locate his shoes!!
    Boys will be boys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's very early, ours back on Thursday, primary and secondary . Same as you daughter has everything ready, young lad doesnt care either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    That's very early, ours back on Thursday, primary and secondary . Same as you daughter has everything ready, young lad doesnt care either way

Young lad is starting secondry tomorrow , there will be more in his year than the school he is leaving in total

I'm back home in NCD for a holiday of sorts :)
    Eldest is home from Australia on Wednesday for a month and youngest is home from Galway for a few days over the month. I'm looking forward to spending quality time with them.

The boys are home and going to help me prepare the house & land for renting.

Base price wrote: »
    I'm back home in NCD for a holiday of sorts :)
    Eldest is home from Australia on Wednesday for a month and youngest is home from Galway for a few days over the month. I'm looking forward to spending quality time with them.

The boys are home and going to help me prepare the house & land for renting.

Will you find it tough renting the land instead of farming it yourself or was that always your plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bullocks wrote: »
    Young lad is starting secondry tomorrow , there will be more in his year than the school he is leaving in total
    That was my second lad last year, never settled at all and we spent the whole year wondering if he was going to even get up in the morning.

He's changing school this year to a school half the size so hopefully he'll settle this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That was my second lad last year, never settled at all and we spent the whole year wondering if he was going to even get up in the morning.

He's changing school this year to a school half the size so hopefully he'll settle this time.

Our youngest moved from a school of 16 pupils to a school of almost 600 pupils and class of of twenty odd a few years back and it was the greatest thing ever for him.

Loads of new friends and teachers that had different personalities and teaching strategies than he was used to.

It's nerve racking as a parent wondering how they will cope but thank God he is getting on fine socially and academically.

It helped that he played sports with a team based in the bigger town for a few years before the transition so he had a head start when it came to making friends and settling in.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Our youngest moved from a school of 16 pupils to a school of almost 600 pupils and class of of twenty odd a few years back and it was the greatest thing ever for him.

Loads of new friends and teachers that had different personalities and teaching strategies than he was used to.

It's nerve racking as a parent wondering how they will cope but thank God he is getting on fine socially and academically.

It helped that he played sports with a team based in the bigger town for a few years before the transition so he had a head start when it came to making friends and settling in.

thats the danger of a school of 16, your either in or your out, and if your out your probably alone..
    my niece fell out with the 3 other girls in her class in 5th class and never really got along for the rest of that year nor 6th, only the four of them in the class, it was hard on her..
    Move to a large school and theres enough diversity so that everyone can make some sort of friend with similar interests/thnking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    So true. When I started off we (ex hubbie and I) didn't have to buy a site so sorta got away with only the building costs for the house. We borrowed IR£40,000 and that built a 1300 sq ft house. I think at the time the first time buyers grant only covered 1300 sq ft. Anyway what we moved into it it was a house without any furnishings other than 2 loos, a bath and a fitted kitchen minus a cooker and fridge. I remember nailing a few 4" nails into the timber of the bedroom window and hanging an old wool blanket as a curtain. We decorated each room as money became available. I had to learn how to lay/grout tiles, use a sowing machine to make curtains but on the upside we had a rotovator to prepare the seed bed for the garden.
    TBH my lads would live anywhere as they were not reared with notions.

Fair dues,was just after reading Farmers' post about the hardship of young people, when a twenty year old neighbour drove in in an 07, 3.2 ltr golf and a phone worth more than my first car. if that's hardship.......
    In case you're wondering the tax on that is €2400 and you can only guess the insurance cost.
    Live for today OK, But don't whinge then when then you can't afford a house

Ah that chap hasn’t seen much shortage in fairness.. boy racer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Grueller

Panch18 wrote: »
    And what’s the problem with that?

People nowadays, young in particular, would rather spend 40 or 50 Euro on brunch than save for a house. They want everything as well as the house, not realising that generations before had to skimp and scrap for years to get a house

Ah me sack. Young lad up the road here at 27 has bought a site and put his house on it to all finished bar internal finishes with no mortgage. Parents are not wealthy either. Solid hard work has done it. Every generation has wasters and every generation has great people.
    Whats also true is that every generation thinks that the one after them is not as good. Funny how the world has kept progressing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.
    (Aristotle)

Some things never change.

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    Will you find it tough renting the land instead of farming it yourself or was that always your plan
    TBH at this stage no but I did find it difficult initially after the separation/divorce. The ex is an excellent tenant and maintains the land/hedges/fences and keeps an eye on the house. The boys are going to help him drive new fencing posts as the old ones have rotted.

I toyed with the idea of renting the house after the boys moved on to do their own thing but held off as I didn't want to relinquish our home until I knew that they were settled iykwim.

I've been trying to live between two counties since then and spend a lot of time on the M3 commuting between both homes in Longford and NCD. I realised after the house was broken into (last October) that I needed to make a permanant plan for it so it was either sell or rent it.

Renting it is the best option even though it breaks my heart that it isn't going to available for me or the boys.

Youngest back Tuesday, eldest back Friday.
    Talking to a parent over the weekend who was giving out about length of holidays, fed up of having kids at home under their feet.
    We’re on the opposite end of the scale where we got loads done but still had stuff we didn’t get round to.
    Eldest is going into TY, this is going to be a big push in swimming for her as she will have less academic load, already two early morning swims (5:30) arranged, one in Dublin and she’s looking for a third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

wrangler wrote: »

You are right and wrong on that. My house is 1580 square foot

But the bank told us to have it fully finished or no final payment. EBS told my brother he had to have the driveway tarred also as they want to sell it if something went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

But the bank told us to have it fully finished or no final payment. EBS told my brother he had to have the driveway tarred also as they want to sell it if something went wrong.

Wow!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

_Brian wrote: »
    Youngest back Tuesday, eldest back Friday.
    Talking to a parent over the weekend who was giving out about length of holidays, fed up of having kids at home under their feet.
    We’re on the opposite end of the scale where we got loads done but still had stuff we didn’t get round to.
    Eldest is going into TY, this is going to be a big push in swimming for her as she will have less academic load, already two early morning swims (5:30) arranged, one in Dublin and she’s looking for a third.

My kids are looking forward to going back. Young lad misses playing football with his friends and daughter wants to get back into a routine. That could all change by next week though

I know it's a pain for the home owner but I can see where the bank is coming from as well. I saw a good few houses that were defaulted on when times were bad and they were sold at a fair discount or not sold because of things left unfinished after drawing down the full mortgage. My first mortgage was drawn down around 2005 I think and I hadn't finished. They wanted a stairs fitted (we were just living in the downstairs at first), and all the footpaths done. I gave my engineer a picture of someone else's stairs and just did the front step and ramp at the back door and took a pic of that. They gave me the final drawdown but it wouldn't happen now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I just got back VAT refund and one of the invoices that was turned down was one for gutters that I got done on farm buildings. Unfortunately, I wrote the words "for farm buildings" on it so that I would know what it was for as it just said gutters and downpipes and nothing else. Is it worth my while asking again or will I just let it go? The VAT is for €191 which is a nice tidy sum!!
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I got a similar invoice for the house which I wrote the words "for house" on and obviously I hadn't submitted that one. On some of the other invoices I've notes written - it helps in a few years when my brain shuts down and I cannot remember anything. Thoughts???

KatyMac wrote: »
    I just got back VAT refund and one of the invoices that was turned down was one for gutters that I got done on farm buildings. Unfortunately, I wrote the words "for farm buildings" on it so that I would know what it was for as it just said gutters and downpipes and nothing else. Is it worth my while asking again or will I just let it go? The VAT is for €191 which is a nice tidy sum!!
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I got a similar invoice for the house which I wrote the words "for house" on and obviously I hadn't submitted that one. On some of the other invoices I've notes written - it helps in a few years when my brain shuts down and I cannot remember anything. Thoughts???

It would be worth a query anyhow.
    Was it the same lad that did both gutters?

Yes, it was the same lad, I got him about 2 months later (when finances allowed) and he wrote exactly the same thing, so I could have sent in the two if I hadn't put notes on them. Perhaps I will give it a go. Although I haven't a clue where the house one is now - I'm not so fussy if it isn't farm orientated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭148multi

Yes, it was the same lad, I got him about 2 months later (when finances allowed) and he wrote exactly the same thing, so I could have sent in the two if I hadn't put notes on them. Perhaps I will give it a go. Although I haven't a clue where the house one is now - I'm not so fussy if it isn't farm orientated.
    Were they replacement gutters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Got the last bit of grass seed in this evening. No doubt I’ll be cursing meself going around cutting it all in a few weeks time but it’s better than looking at weeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Still struts her stuff when called :D:D

Waiting on 3 things in the post. Definitely posted Thursday /Friday. No post yesterday. This has happened a few times. Pretty annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Waiting on 3 things in the post. Definitely posted Thursday /Friday. No post yesterday. This has happened a few times. Pretty annoying

and then when you get it the date on it says monday :rolleyes:

148multi wrote: »
    Were they replacement gutters

They replaced the whole lot on a shed as storm Ophelia finished them off last spring. My reading of the instructions was total replacement was okay but not repairs - maybe I got that wrong.

The letter i got said the invoice was turned down because of it being changed and the only change was I'd written in red biro "for farm buildings" on the end of it. Anyway I sent off a query and will see what happens - the worst can be just another 'No'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

They replaced the whole lot on a shed as storm Ophelia finished them off last spring. My reading of the instructions was total replacement was okay but not repairs - maybe I got that wrong.

The letter i got said the invoice was turned down because of it being changed and the only change was I'd written in red biro "for farm buildings" on the end of it. Anyway I sent off a query and will see what happens - the worst can be just another 'No'!

u could send in a photo of the shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That's annoying. We lost our usual postman a few months back as firstly a dog bit him (same dog bit me, fcuker should be shot) and then he slipped in the snow & walloped his head. Used to be able to set your watch by him, always here round 10.30. New fella can be here anytime between 9am & 12pm!! Though it's straggled out to 4pm a few times.

Ordered Dectomax & new wellies off Agridirect yesterday, will be here at 12pm today according to text. :) And a new hat with my Dectomax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We've got a new postman, and he's great! Arrives at least 2 hours earlier, dosent take it on himself to return letters undelivered, dosent scribble remarks on envelopes because he believes a certain parish should be attached to a different town, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Doing winter feed budget I have 15 black Whitehead’s should I let them on in November or wait for prices to improve in March. What’s cheapest meal to feed them I’m thinking barley with some kind mixture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    We've got a new postman, and he's great! Arrives at least 2 hours earlier, dosent take it on himself to return letters undelivered, dosent scribble remarks on envelopes because he believes a certain parish should be attached to a different town, etc, etc.

Brilliant lady postperson here. If she spends as long chatting in each house as she does with my oh she wouldn't finish till midnight

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement