Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got all the stuff we should have got yesterday today....

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Have just come across something funny/strange here. Was looking at the Euro star profile on ICBF for my herd and looked at a heifer that I bought in. She had gone from 2 stars to 5 stars so it caught my eye. Then I noticed that her sire had changed.....to my own stock bull!
    The sire had originally been THZ but it looks like after DNA sampling it has been changed! The breeder of my bull is a neighbouring farmer that I would know so I will ask him if it's possible that the bull was 'tested' on a few cows. I can't remember off the top of my head where exactly the heifer came from but I'll check the card when I get home.
    Doesn't really bother me except that I was hoping to keep her for breeding (and probably still will but will have to AI her) but I suppose on the bright side, her star rating is great! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Send it back in again with explanation in writing and maybe a picture or 2 of the gutter on the shed .

KatyMac wrote: »
    I just got back VAT refund and one of the invoices that was turned down was one for gutters that I got done on farm buildings. Unfortunately, I wrote the words "for farm buildings" on it so that I would know what it was for as it just said gutters and downpipes and nothing else. Is it worth my while asking again or will I just let it go? The VAT is for €191 which is a nice tidy sum!!
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I got a similar invoice for the house which I wrote the words "for house" on and obviously I hadn't submitted that one. On some of the other invoices I've notes written - it helps in a few years when my brain shuts down and I cannot remember anything. Thoughts???

whelan2 wrote: »
    Got all the stuff we should have got yesterday today....

maybe the postman took the northern Ireland bank holiday :D

Was a lad here from esb yesterday. He arrived about noon and was telling me about how he grew up on a farm. He asked me was morning milking finished yet! Not too many farmers would still be milking at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wet miserable dark bitch of an evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Call me soppy but I couldn't resist setting up the eldest bed like this for his return home tomorrow. The rabbit Billy was given to him by a good friend when he was born.
    Note Billy is decorated in the Dublin colours and the jammy fecker sourced a Hill ticket for Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭148multi

KatyMac wrote: »
    They replaced the whole lot on a shed as storm Ophelia finished them off last spring. My reading of the instructions was total replacement was okay but not repairs - maybe I got that wrong.

The letter i got said the invoice was turned down because of it being changed and the only change was I'd written in red biro "for farm buildings" on the end of it. Anyway I sent off a query and will see what happens - the worst can be just another 'No'!

Appeal the decision, sounds like revenue official being an AH. Sure they can't charge you Vat on it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Was a lad here from esb yesterday. He arrived about noon and was telling me about how he grew up on a farm. He asked me was morning milking finished yet! Not too many farmers would still be milking at that time

You should have asked him had he his days work done. Worked with them back in the 90s and in certain depts you could have a half dozen jobs done by midday if you put down the shoe. Of course that list was a full days work. I used to hate having to drag the day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You should have asked him had he his days work done. Worked with them back in the 90s and in certain depts you could have a half dozen jobs done by midday if you put down the shoe. Of course that list was a full days work. I used to hate having to drag the day out.

Had a lad in the vicinity for a week this summer. His job was to inspect the poles and Mark those for replacement.
    He had 18 a day to inspect.
    Needless to say, this could be completed by 11am, so he would walk a good bit, read a good bit and sleep a bit.
    He couldn't leave the designated area until after 4, to be back at base for 5.
    He couldn't leave early as the van has a tracker, watching in real time and also monitoring speed.
    If he exceeded the limit, or even was doing 55 in a 50km/hour zone, an alert flashes on his supervisors PC and next moment he gets a phone call from said supervisor warning him to slow down.
    He reckoned that they were hoping he'd take early retirement rather than suffer the close supervision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Had a lad in the vicinity for a week this summer. His job was to inspect the poles and Mark those for replacement.
    He had 18 a day to inspect.
    Needless to say, this could be completed by 11am, so he would walk a good bit, read a good bit and sleep a bit.
    He couldn't leave the designated area until after 4, to be back at base for 5.
    He couldn't leave early as the van has a tracker, watching in real time and also monitoring speed.
    If he exceeded the limit, or even was doing 55 in a 50km/hour zone, an alert flashes on his supervisors PC and next moment he gets a phone call from said supervisor warning him to slow down.
    He reckoned that they were hoping he'd take early retirement rather than suffer the close supervision!

I've heard similar about the board of works and a diggers with two drivers, heard of an inspector that used to meet the driver at the local mart to get the work sheets signed.......this is where our tax money is being wasted, everything should be privatised.
    I see taxes are going to be increased in the next budget

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

wrangler wrote: »
    I've heard similar about the board of works and a diggers with two drivers, heard of an inspector that used to meet the driver at the local mart to get the work sheets signed.......this is where our tax money is being wasted, everything should be privatised.

I used to be self employed but being the capitalist that I am I realized that the most profitable place to sell my unskilled labour was to the state. I have never looked back. Do I think our present economic model is sustainable? Of course not but i had hoped sanity would eventually prevail. It is to late for that now, the country is hopelessly in debt. Maybe the deal to buy our land back from the Brits started this culture of borrowing but whatever the cause, Ireland is now the third most indebted country in the world per head of population.

Is it possible people like Michael Collins did not care about the consequences as long as he got legitimate power? I am increasingly of the view that the treaty should never have been signed - not just because it sold out the north but crucially because it required our new leaders to either lie under oath or to have genuine allegiance to a foreign monarch. That being the case, failure of the state was the ultimate certainty. Since Ireland`s abandonment of the faith of our fathers and its adoption of this new secularism, I no longer feel like Ireland is my country and am planning on leaving for good come the next recession.

The next recession will be a global game changer in my opinion. The west is finished and Ireland will become a terrible terrible terrible place to live. I think this will begin before the decade ends. Sadly, the Church will be blamed for the failures of the state and the stupidity of the people who demanded more welfare instead of fiscal responsibility.

I used to be self employed but being the capitalist that I am I realized that the most profitable place to sell my unskilled labour was to the state. I have never looked back. Do I think our present economic model is sustainable? Of course not but i had hoped sanity would eventually prevail. It is to late for that now, the country is hopelessly in debt. Maybe the deal to buy our land back from the Brits started this culture of borrowing but whatever the cause, Ireland is now the third most indebted country in the world per head of population.

The next recession will be a global game changer in my opinion. The west is finished.

I don't know what my parents were at that didn't push us all into the civil service
    I live on a road that everyone is either pensioned or civil servant. Self employed are strangled now with taxes
    That's worse than selling each other houses.
    Of course It's not sustainable and I'd be worried if I wasn't a pensioner myself, Wonder where the present school leavers will finish up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is it possible people like Michael Collins did not care about the consequences as long as he got legitimate power? I am increasingly of the view that the treaty should never have been signed - not just because it sold out the north but crucially because it required our new leaders to either lie under oath or to have genuine allegiance to a foreign monarch. That being the case, failure of the state was the ultimate certainty. Since Ireland`s abandonment of the faith of our fathers and its adoption of this new secularism, I no longer feel like Ireland is my country and am planning on leaving for good come the next recession.

The next recession will be a global game changer in my opinion. The west is finished and Ireland will become a terrible terrible terrible place to live. I think this will begin before the decade ends. Sadly, the Church will be blamed for the failures of the state and the stupidity of the people who demanded more welfare instead of fiscal responsibility.
    I don't know what my parents were at that didn't push us all into the civil service
    I live on a road that everyone is either pensioned or civil servant. Self employed are strangled now with taxes
    That's worse than selling each other houses.
    Of course It's not sustainable and I'd be worried if I wasn't a pensioner myself, Wonder where the present school leavers will finish up

Nothing like a good moan before breakfast.

I see you have found a fellow traveller who is a bit to the right of Maggie Tatcher

Slava Ukrainii

Aye they leave the digger running to get the hours up on it. And they sitting in their hut cooking their fry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Aye they leave the digger running to get the hours up on it. And they sitting in their hut cooking their fry.

they're given 30 mins to grease their machines...so they only dab a bit on each nipple to make it look like it was done

ganmo wrote: »
    they're given 30 mins to grease their machines...so they only dab a bit on each nipple to make it look like it was done

Ah we're only jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I made round bales on the 15th of August how soon can I feed them out?

They waited a day and a half here for another lad to come with a chainsaw to cut a branch

• Advertisement

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I made round bales on the 15th of August how soon can I feed them out?

Work away

Nothing like a good moan before breakfast.

I see you have found a fellow traveller who is a bit to the right of Maggie Tatcher

It's that lacksidaisical attitude that's letting them away with it, but drive on, this country will survive a few more years bad management.

That's why we have the Government we deserve.

One advantage of being involved with IFA was that every politician was approachable and approached,
    It achieved nothing , but I felt better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Work away

Conventional wisdom is 3 weeks I think. So that would put them ready to be fed out on the 05 of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fair list of PostOffices to close, 159, 6 lost here in Cavan.
    I think it was inevitable really, so little post these days they must be struggling to stay afloat.

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2018/08/postofficeconsolidation.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Is there a form to change the breed on a animals passport? A buddy registered a heifer as a ZAG BB, now she's ZAG alright but LM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Is there a form to change the breed on a animals passport? A buddy registered a heifer as a ZAG BB, now she's ZAG alright but LM.

Does that not show up as an anomaly online? I registered a calf as BOB BB a few years ago, but BOB is a HE. Got a letter or something about it anyway.
    Form ER94B will do the job anyway.

• Advertisement

They waited a day and a half here for another lad to come with a chainsaw to cut a branch

Heard the waterways lads , any timber cut down to make room for machines or fences is cut, blocked and split and bagged all on the clock and taken home in the work van . If there is more than 1 load of timber the lads take it home middle of the day.

That's from a lad who was following them putting fences. He said take 3 weeks for the waterways lads to clear enough meters for them to fence in 1 day . that's 6 days a week the lads were being paid for a Saturday also

Not defend them but you see crazy stuff going on all over the place. We had it in the building industry with the Pyrite and lads puting washing up liquid in plaster as a plasteciser. Having said that I taught that most diggers are hired/contracted ito the ESB.

I suspect it more of County Council machinery rather than ESB most is contracted in. Having said that I have seen machinery sold out of local Authourity's and the stuff is immaculate considering it is 20-30 years old.

Not defending them but Health and Safety is crucifying agency's like this. We all saw what happened to the Council lads in Cork taht fixed a pothole on the way home. The other thing is there is no second chance with Electricity. If the lad on the digger took it down with the bucket of the digger the local farmer would be cribbing. I have seen a landscaper and he is the only person insured to use consaw, angle grinder and chainsaw. He has 2-3 jobs on at the time. He is looking into getting his paving man to become selfemployed
    It's that lacksidaisical attitude that's letting them away with it, but drive on, this country will survive a few more years bad management.

That's why we have the Government we deserve.

One advantage of being involved with IFA was that every politician was approachable and approached,
    It achieved nothing , but I felt better

Giovernments have to strike a balance. We all see the uproar when they wanted to change the third level grant system. Self employed with business and property worth million can draw the grant but a paye couple earning on 50K has to fund there children's third level college that will cost 30-40K/child. The IFA is just another union with it nose in the trough.

With Tatcher we had the Poll tax roits that finally caused her downfall but right through her premiership you had public disorder. It is something that is not a huge issue in Ireland. Yes we have hig taxes but we do not have the situation like the US where 22-25 yearolds start life with 100-250K college loan debts.

Yes there is inefficency in the ESB but in general all business and people have adequate power supply. We cannot say the same for our privitized telecoms sector regarding broadband and mobile services. On the other hand privitized transport is a much better experience rather than out publically owned bus and rail.

We have an issue with housing but it is partly a change in demographics, partly regulatory and a hand over from easy access to credit during the 90's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Not defend them but you see crazy s...d privitized transport is a much better experience rather than out publically owned bus and rail.

We have an issue with housing but it is partly a change in demographics, partly regulatory and a hand over from easy access to credit during the 90's

ya it was a coco situation I heard that from.
    I was at a machinery auction a few years back that had a few ex coco tractors, poked around the cab a bit and found the drivers payslip :eek:

ya it was a coco situation I heard that from.
    I was at a machinery auction a few years back that had a few ex coco tractors, poked around the cab a bit and found the drivers payslip :eek:

You should see an ESB payslip

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

. On the other hand privitized transport is a much better experience rather than out publically owned bus and rail.

I assume you've never got a train in England, privatised rail isn't that great compared to a properly funded public service like in places like France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Since Ireland`s abandonment of the faith of our fathers and its adoption of this new secularism, I no longer feel like Ireland is my country

we abandoned paganism a long time ago sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a week old calf sore on a hind foot tonight, should I be worried of black-leg with this time of year
    Say caught on a stone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Have a week old calf sore on a hind foot tonight, should I be worried of black-leg with this time of year
    Say caught on a stone

Unlikely unless he's very sick also.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Grueller

Vomiting bug here at the minute. Young lad went to a birthday party last weekend and the kids sister had it. Now myself and the 2 kids have it. The wife is run ragged emptying basins.

Grueller wrote: »
    Vomiting bug here at the minute. Young lad went to a birthday party last weekend and the kids sister had it. Now myself and the 2 kids have it. The wife is run ragged emptying basins.
    Horrible dose which thankfully never affected me but I had to deal with it when the two lads got it years ago. Lots of fluids either dioralyte (blackcurrant flavour is palatable) or cooled boiled 7up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

greysides wrote: »
    Unlikely unless he's very sick also.

In good form, thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

In good form, thanks for that

Joint ill? Blackleg and theyre dead usually

There is an injection you can get to stop the vomiting, youngest lad had to get it a few years ago, works very quickly. We got it in a and e. He was very bad though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Myself the wife and the two kids had that last week. Knocked the stuffing out of us. Only back on all cylinders now really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bad dose going round - half the guests at a wedding I was at last week in Mayo are now down with it:(

• Advertisement

Bought myself a nice pack of hunky dory salt and vinegar crisps earlier as a treat Hid them in the press. Went to have them now and they are gone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bought myself a nice pack of hunky dory salt and vinegar crisps earlier as a treat Hid them in the press. Went to have them now and they are gone.....

Thats what ya get for stashing them away

That used to cause a serious meltdown/rant in this house especially when they left the empty bag in the press :mad:

Collected eldest from the airport at 3.30ish and youngest just after 5pm. First time the three of us have been home together in a couple of years. We had a lovely dinner and then both lads were fast asleep by 7pm on the two couches in the living room in front of a small turf fire. The noise of their snores emanating from the living room drove the Rotties and cat outta the house :)
    Anyway both of their best school friends landed after 10 to save me/the dogs/and the cat's sanity with a taxi outside to bring them to the local pub to meet up with their other friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Grueller

Base price wrote: »
    That used to cause a serious meltdown/rant in this house especially when they left the empty bag in the press :mad:

Collected eldest from the airport at 3.30ish and youngest just after 5pm. First time the three of us have been home together in a couple of years. We had a lovely dinner and then both lads were fast asleep by 7pm on the two couches in the living room in front of a small turf fire. The noise of their snores emanating from the living room drove the Rotties and cat outta the house :)
    Anyway both of their best school friends landed after 10 to save me/the dogs/and the cat's sanity with a taxi outside to bring them to the local pub to meet up with their other friends.

Enjoy having them home Base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

On top of the kitchen presses is where treats should go...no one looks up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Odelay wrote: »
    On top of the kitchen presses is where treats should go...no one looks up there.

Treats dont last too long in this house one way or another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Odelay wrote: »

You must have seen our house here. Up on top of the presses, That's where the goodies hide :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Well curse of fcuk on ya I’ve a goo on me now for a packet

Enjoy having them home Base.
    Thanks, although when it comes to eldest it's never simple or straightforward cause he is a high octane type iykwim.

I'm trying to run with his schedule to be here/there/everywhere over the next month - Electric Picnic on Friday/Saturday and the SFC final in Croker (Up the Dubs :D) and then a two week holiday to Mexico with some of his NCD/Fingal friends then back home to help me do some work on the house - it's exhausting enough listening to his plans let alone living through them :)

• Advertisement

Out calving a cow in the calving paddock. I have been watching her for over a week. She was massive. Thought it was twins she was that big. One big fr bull. All's good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement