Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

OH and myself were helping a neighbor put ointment in a cow's eye. Cow has massive horns and OH (not a farmer by birth!) was afraid to go anywhere near the sharp end. I had great fun putting a rope around her horns to hold her still - it brought me back about 45 years when I watched my father doing the same thing when horns were on almost every animal. I've learned how to do this stuff since I was knee high to a grasshopper even if I'd forgotten half of what I knew.

On another note: we replaced a few tags today and two cows in particular found it hard to fit through the crush - I'm looking at them and don't think they are bloated as in sick, but it's a standard size crush and it was like threading a needle with a sausage. Do I need to worry do ye think? I didn't think I'd THAT much grass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »

The greatest eejit to ever come out of the U.K. and that's even including Boris Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

That was my second lad last year, never settled at all and we spent the whole year wondering if he was going to even get up in the morning.

He's changing school this year to a school half the size so hopefully he'll settle this time.

Was that Summerhill he changed from? My lad started there on Tue. It was like the Wild West when I went there in the '80s but it's very different now

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Last bit of silage knocked today. About 7 acres. Will leave it until Saturday to bale so hopefully we don't get too much rain before then.
    Will be busy on Saturday then...have a 17 mile training run at 7am, young lady has a camogie blitz at 11am and after that I will hopefully be bringing in bales for the rest of the evening.
    Think a Chinese takeaway will be called for Saturday evening!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

and where would we get our beef from then oh and some of the other staple foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Was that Summerhill he changed from? My lad started there on Tue. It was like the Wild West when I went there in the '80s but it's very different now
    No, in Kerry.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    and where would we get our beef from then oh and some of the other staple foods.

It's his subtle way of telling the Eu to back off or they'll impose tariffs on imports.
    All wrapped up in his faux concern for the Irish beef farmer.

He's the greatest clown over there atm. He uses every opportunity available to get in front of a television camera trying to raise his profile so he can launch a bid to be head of the Tory party.
    His own personal views on life would put Hitler to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Parishlad wrote: »
    Last bit of silage knocked today. About 7 acres. Will leave it until Saturday to bale so hopefully we don't get too much rain before then.
    Will be busy on Saturday then...have a 17 mile training run at 7am, young lady has a camogie blitz at 11am and after that I will hopefully be bringing in bales for the rest of the evening.
    Will you be doing the marathon in October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Grueller

Jealous as fcuk. I am awaiting a cartilege operation and haven't ran in 10 weeks. Really miss it.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    Jealous as fcuk. I am awaiting a cartilege operation and haven't ran in 10 weeks. Really miss it.

On the up side the vomiting bug is gone.

The greatest eejit to ever come out of the U.K. and that's even including Boris Johnson.

Better post this too.
    https://www.facebook.com/bbciplayer/videos/10155578522156778/

Just a reply so I can click on the link.
    The oul Android says I can't have a gander unless I reply first.

He's not even a Minister.

So he has as much a say as the average bloke on the street with £100,000,000, a Bentley and a Nanny.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will you be doing the marathon in October?

Sure am. Less than 8 weeks to go. Can’t wait to get to the start line. The training can be tough going but at the same time I miss it when I stop.

Know what you mean. It’s good for the head too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Woodies with a sale on is dangerous for me to go into.
    I went in earlier for kilner jars & left with 10l of paint, a hanging basket, shelving, a standing floor lamp, a large mirror, bulbs to plant....but no jars :pac::pac:

Woodies with a sale on is dangerous for me to go into.
    I went in earlier for kilner jars & left with 10l of paint, a hanging basket, shelving, a standing floor lamp, a large mirror, bulbs to plant....but no jars :pac::pac:

The jars were too dear, was it?

The jars were too dear, was it?

They were actually, 3 euro fifty for a little fancy pot. I don't care if my jars look pretty, I just want something to put my jam into!!
    I did need the paint though....plus the shelving was half price. And the basket is pretty :D

Real autumnal feel to this morning here. Hate feeling it.

• Advertisement

Real autumnal feel to this morning here. Hate feeling it.

I had a dream last night that it was snowing and it was sticking on the ground. I tried to take a picture of it but it was melting before I got a picture. I had to pinch myself as it was still August.
    Then I woke up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I had a dream last night that it was snowing and it was sticking on the ground. I tried to take a picture of it but it was melting before I got a picture. I had to pinch myself as it was still August.
    Then I woke up.

Hope you aren't prophetic! (I said prophetic not pathetic:o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

KatyMac wrote: »
    Hope you aren't prophetic! (I said prophetic not pathetic:o)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107948660&postcount=9886

and
    An Irish daughter had not been home for over 5 years.Upon her return,her father cussed her. "Where have ye been all this time?
    Why did ye not write to us, not even a line? Why didn't ye call?
    Can ye not understand what ye put yer old mum thru?
    The girl, crying, replied, "Sniff, sniff....dad....I became a
    prostitute...."
    Ye what!!? Out of here, ye shameless harlot! Sinner! You're a
    disgrace to this family."
    OK, dad-- as ye wish. I just came back to give mum this luxurious
    Fur coat, title deed to a ten-bedroom mansion plus a savings certificate
    For $5 million.For me little brother, this gold Rolex and for ye
    daddy, the sparkling new Mercedes limited edition convertible
    that's parked outside plus a membership in the country club ... (takes a
    breath)... and an invitation for ye all to spend New Years Eve on board
    me new yacht in the Riviera, and...."
    Now what was it ye said ye had become?" says dad.
    Girl, crying again, "Sniff, sniff ... a prostitute dad! Sniff,sniff."
    Oh! Be Jesus! Ye scared me half to death, girl! I thought ye
    said a Protestant'. Come here and give yer old man a hug!"

Got a call from County Council inspector to tell me he'll be out to visit over the winter....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Got a call from County Council inspector to tell me he'll be out to visit over the winter....

Are you sure you're not running some kind of refreshment stall for inspectors?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not running some kind of refreshment stall for inspectors?

Closed period isn't for a good while yet

Closed period isn't for a good while yet

What kind of stuff are the Council intersted in from an inspection perspective/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Got one last year the lad rang on Monday said he would be out on the Thursday,
    told him to work away as I couldn't get off work on that short of notice.

Never said a word about the German Sheppard in the yard. Never heard another word from your man either.:D

This might not be popular but the councils are dead right to inspect. There is no need for the state of some of the farmyards that are around the country. I was in a lads yatd during the summer and he had definitely 5 yeats silage wraps, nets and all in a pile as big as my dungstead.

• Advertisement

I'm after getting an email from Nuala Carey.....I won the RTÉ weather photo comp! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

This might not be popular but the councils are dead right to inspect. There is no need for the state of some of the farmyards that are around the country. I was in a lads yatd during the summer and he had definitely 5 yeats silage wraps, nets and all in a pile as big as my dungstead.

Yes I do too, but Whelan is getting annual inspections when your guy won’t until he’s reported. Whelan’s Inspector knows he won’t have to do any extra work and gets a day out of the office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I'm after getting an email from Nuala Carey.....I won the RTÉ weather photo comp!

Which of the little "dears" did you take the picture of

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Which of the little "dears" did you take the picture of

One with four wheels :D

It doesn't bother me but they should all be singing from the same hymn sheet imo. Some lads have never had an inspection from them. Which is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

It doesn't bother me but they should all be singing from the same hymn sheet imo. Some lads have never had an inspection from them. Which is wrong.

Did you not throw the kerb ball one of being sexist. A lot of them institutionised lads don’t have a clue what to say or do then 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

God you can get anything on e-bay. The sweatband on the welding helmet was beyond washing. Got 6 of them for €10 on e-bay from China. :rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Prob maxi pads patsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Second last day in London. The 3yo has been some trouper with all the walking. Off th LEGOland today. We were there a few days ago. A season ticket (£45) was cheaper that a one day entry (£60) so we will use it today and try stop the money spend a little.

Dented the rental on the sill with a stone sticking out near a roundabout. Sickened as I’d been minding the car like a mad man. We have the extra insurance bought so will be able claim what ever the rental company charges but still a sickener.

Going home tomorrow and I’ll be glad. Lads coming to put electricity poles into a few fields and I want to graze them if I can before they come.

Second last day in London. The 3yo has been some trouper with all the walking. Off th LEGOland today. We were there a few days ago. A season ticket (£45) was cheaper that a one day entry (£60) so we will use it today and try stop the money spend a little.

Dented the rental on the sill with a stone sticking out near a roundabout. Sickened as I’d been minding the car like a mad man. We have the extra insurance bought so will be able claim what ever the rental company charges but still a sickener.

Going home tomorrow and I’ll be glad. Lads coming to put electricity poles into a few fields and I want to graze them if I can before they come.

When are you back to school?

When are you back to school?

I’m on paternity leave for the small lad so the Monday after next. I couldn’t take any leave when he was born as project deadlines and day practicals loomed.

Glad the way it worked out as I couldn’t have afforded unpaid leave for my sisters wedding

• Advertisement

I’m on paternity leave for the small lad so the Monday after next. I couldn’t take any leave when he was born as project deadlines and day practicals loomed.

Glad the way it worked out as I couldn’t have afforded unpaid leave for my sisters wedding
    This paternity leave seems to be a great job. Brother got 14 working days off. Back to work then last week to set up for electric picnic

This paternity leave seems to be a great job. Brother got 14 working days off. Back to work then last week to set up for electric picnic

Yeah it’s great- 2weeks paid within 6 months of the child’s birth. The brother is working for a multinational in limerick and he was saying they are offering 6 weeks now.

I’ve some parental leave left, it’s unpaid unfortunately but it’s handy to take a week here and there.
    Pity I can’t transfer it to my wife as she would love more time to have during summer hols with kids.

Did you get rain on your silage? Eldest lad off to do a 5k race now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I’ve some parental leave left, it’s unpaid unfortunately but it’s handy to take a week here and there.
    Pity I can’t transfer it to my wife as she would love more time to have during summer hols with kids.

I transferred mine where still on the first lads hours so it’s great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was talking to a guy today whose company manages the overhead wiring around here and he was saying they have received notice to be aware of a possible Darwin type storm tracking in here around the 18th September. Early days yet, I know, but just something to keep in mind if you're planning any work around that time.

I'm sure there will be more updates closer to the day if it's looking likely, though.

I was talking to a guy today whose company manages the overhead wiring around here and he was saying they have received notice to be aware of a possible Darwin type storm tracking in here around the 18th September. Early days yet, I know, but just something to keep in mind if you're planning any work around that time.

I'm sure there will be more updates closer to the day if it's looking likely, though.
    ploughing match time

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

ploughing match time

Was it last year the ploughing was flooded?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

Yea slurry tankers were on the go sucking water out of the pathways and grass areas turned to slop

On the wednesday, which was they day we went :D was terrible. Was in local shop this evening and I was told I may be the winner in their ploughing match ticket draw for next week :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement