Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was talking to a guy today whose company manages the overhead wiring around here and he was saying they have received notice to be aware of a possible Darwin type storm tracking in here around the 18th September. Early days yet, I know, but just something to keep in mind if you're planning any work around that time.

I'm sure there will be more updates closer to the day if it's looking likely, though.

I've seen that mentioned on F4F.

Seemingly mentioned on local radio stations yesterday.

It's a hell of a long way out though.

Be a strange one this time of year though.
    Hurricane Charley if this comes to pass might be a better comparison given the track and time of year.
    That one brought a lot of rain and wind in 1986.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I was talking to a guy today whose company manages the overhead wiring around here and he was saying they have received notice to be aware of a possible Darwin type storm tracking in here around the 18th September. Early days yet, I know, but just something to keep in mind if you're planning any work around that time.

I'm sure there will be more updates closer to the day if it's looking likely, though.

What's a Darwin type storm? I'm flying to go annoy my brother on that Saturday.

What's a Darwin type storm? I'm flying to go annoy my brother on that Saturday.

Windy.

Windy.

Meteorite has a more technical exploration about this potential storm.
    Including the still unknown track of it.
    It's Florence for the moment.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107962874&postcount=34

Will have to keep an eye on it so!
    Dad lost the crowbar a couple of months ago, been keeping an eye out for it since but I've a feeling it slid off the back of the quad somewhere in the fields as I came across a couple of posts in the middle of a field today. Have images of the topper or mower hitting it next year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I lost a fencing pliers over a year ago, no notion where it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

A neighbour of mine couldnt find the stand for his haybob, his baling contractor found it for him recently!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you get rain on your silage? Eldest lad off to do a 5k race now.

It got a nice bit of a kind of heavy mist yesterday evening and I was cursing it to the high heavens. Today was a smasher though with good strong sunshine and about 19/20 degrees I’d say. Didn’t bale it till about 3pm so it got a good chance to dry out and wasn’t too bad for a finish.
    The run was tough going this morning. I was struggling from about 9 miles but finished the 17 in the end. Just one of those days hopefully. I asked my wife to remind me of tough runs like today if I ever again mention doing another one! :D
    How did your lad get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Parishlad wrote: »
    It got a nice bit of a kind of heavy mist yesterday evening and I was cursing it to the high heavens. Today was a smasher though with good strong sunshine and about 19/20 degrees I’d say. Didn’t bale it till about 3pm so it got a good chance to dry out and wasn’t too bad for a finish.
    The run was tough going this morning. I was struggling from about 9 miles but finished the 17 in the end. Just one of those days hopefully. I asked my wife to remind me of tough runs like today if I ever again mention doing another one! :D
    How did your lad get on?

18.20 for the 5k he was 15th. They got first team and he was 3rd in the juniors. The lad that won it did it in 15.07!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

18.20 for the 5k he was 15th. They got first team and he was 3rd in the juniors. The lad that won it did it in 15.07!

Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Must be a handy lad abkut when stock break out !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Meteorite has a more technical exploration about this potential storm.
    Including the still unknown track of it.
    It's Florence for the moment.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107962874&postcount=34

The Mirror.ie already reporting near Armageddon.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/weather-dublin-forecast-meteireann-storm-13162334

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ffs

He did the same race last year in 21.15. He had only started running then. Off this morning now to do 17k

He did the same race last year in 21.15. He had only started running then. Off this morning now to do 17k

The winner did 5min miles. That's mad

The winner did 5min miles. That's mad

He wasn't even sweating.

• Advertisement

He wasn't even sweating.

That's mad

That's mad

Great to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Dad lost the crowbar a couple of months ago, been keeping an eye out for it since but I've a feeling it slid off the back of the quad somewhere in the fields as I came across a couple of posts in the middle of a field today. Have images of the topper or mower hitting it next year :pac:

I broke the topper (don't know what it is called but the bit that goes round and actually does the cutting - probably called 'cutter':)), but it flew off into the middle distance and I couldn't find any trace of it. Found it with the rotary mower few months later! Amazingly it didn't do much damage - just had to replace the blades on one of the disks. Was glad it was me mowing with a 20+ year old mower and not the contractor with his fancy expensive one.

KatyMac wrote: »
    I broke the topper (don't know what it is called but the bit that goes round and actually does the cutting - probably called 'cutter':)), but it flew off into the middle distance and I couldn't find any trace of it. Found it with the rotary mower few months later! Amazingly it didn't do much damage - just had to replace the blades on one of the disks. Was glad it was me mowing with a 20+ year old mower and not the contractor with his fancy expensive one.

Flail? :D Our old one got bent from a couple of rocks so our topping used to be a bit hit & miss.
    Actually broke the contractors mower this year, we'd had a bonfire with scrappy logs that were no use for firewood & thought it had all burned down. One log must have gone out & not burned fully cause i was watching him and there was a sudden 'crash, bang, wallop, fúck!!' :pac:

Flail? :D Our old one got bent from a couple of rocks so our topping used to be a bit hit & miss.
    Actually broke the contractors mower this year, we'd had a bonfire with scrappy logs that were no use for firewood & thought it had all burned down. One log must have gone out & not burned fully cause i was watching him and there was a sudden 'crash, bang, wallop, fúck!!' :pac:

Bit of a bill coming your way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Ouch! Don't mind damaging my own stuff, but hate to see someone else's go 'bang' BTW thanks for the word! My brain shuts down for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Lost bit of a topper years ago in a 3 acre field. Spent ages looking for it and couldnt find it even though I had rough idea where it was.
    Had completely forgotten about it until the following spring I was checking on a few cattle in the field. All were feeding except for one pet of a heifer. Went over to her and put her up. She had being lying on the bit of the topper :confused:

Unfortunately Lady H she is no longer about if you'd wanted to borrow her.:D

Nope, was only one bolt that sheared or something, was a conditioner mower if that's any help, maybe a blade?. Just had to pop up home & he had replaced it in a couple of hours. The number of times I've taken his cattle off the road this year, he knows to not be mean about charging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

i'd be getting my farm multi peril insurance to pay for that

wrangler wrote: »
    i'd be getting my farm multi peril insurance to pay for that

That's what it's there for

Nope, was only one bolt that sheared or something, was a conditioner mower if that's any help, maybe a blade?. Just had to pop up home & he had replaced it in a couple of hours. The number of times I've taken his cattle off the road this year, he knows to not be mean about charging!
    Was it a krone?
    They have a safecut cutterbar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

tanko wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine couldnt find the stand for his haybob, his baling contractor found it for him recently!!!

Twas prob the swarth divider. A lot of lads use it as the stand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Up the Dubs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »

Am torn. Dont want either to win. Would like the dubs to be beat though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Base price wrote: »

Jeez, 4-1 down already. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Jeez, 4-1 down already. :D

5-1

5-1

Wasn’t long turning around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was it a krone?

Great job, hit a big stone a few months ago while mowing for the contractor and sheared the roll pins under 4 hats. Bed would be toast only for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Lads i Have a mountain of fym to get out. Is there much value in taking this to silage ground out block about 7mile away. Very hard to get rid of it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Lads i Have a mountain of fym to get out. Is there much value in taking this to silage ground out block about 7mile away. Very hard to get rid of it at home.

Is there an extension for spreading fym ,i would be inclined to wait until end of grazing season and plaster the nearest place to spread it then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Look to where grass is responding poorly and spread there. Helps give any areas with poor growth rates a boost by adding organic matter / humus to soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If it's where the silage came from, then probably yes. Your silage ground is being mined to provide nutrients for your grazing ground otherwise.

Woohoo :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Congrats!

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Was it a krone?

Reggie....you know me & machinery!! Driver went off to the yard to change something or other that broke, that's all I know. I was trying to avoid heatstroke. Only reason he was in cutting was because I was attempting to fix the slave cylinder of the zetor.

Great job, hit a big stone a few months ago while mowing for the contractor and sheared the roll pins under 4 hats. Bed would be toast only for it.

Changed the 4 pins and off again?

Reggie....you know me & machinery!! Driver went off to the yard to change something or other that broke, that's all I know. I was trying to avoid heatstroke. Only reason he was in cutting was because I was attempting to fix the slave cylinder of the zetor.

Was the mower green. Surely to jaysus you noticed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tis a bit like asking what car do you drive? "A red one".

Major
    Mchale
    John Deere
    To name a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Changed the 4 pins and off again?

Ya no bother. Had it going again in an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Great day out, pity about the result.

ganmo wrote: »
    Major
    Mchale
    John Deere
    To name a few

Stop it you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

tanko wrote: »
    Great day out, pity about the result.

Pitch looked fantastic considering all it goes through. Seen them cutting the grass on time, an army of lads with push lawnmowers, no ride on machines there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

2.25 into this video https://youtu.be/doT8YtUr0H8
    :D

I'm just home after celebrating our win and pleasantly inebriated. When feeding the dogs (hours after their normal time) I noticed that there was only 2 swallows roosting in the garage as opposed to the normal 6 which have been residing there for the last few weeks. The season has turned and they are off heading on their holidays.
    A bit of kudos on my part for been able to look up at the rafters without falling over :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement