Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

To the victor, the spoils! The best team won no doubt about that.

The drive for five starts now :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

To the victor, the spoils! The best team won no doubt about that.

The drive for five starts now :-)
    Yes it will and hopefully Mayo will be back in the mix. I missed Mayo this year with their flair and the threat that they posed.

Base price wrote: »
    Yes it will and hopefully Mayo will be back in the mix. I missed Mayo this year with their flair and the threat that they posed.

http://www.edenderrygaa.ie/news/seamusdarbyreturnstooffalytrainingasdublinclaim4inarow

Much bigger threat on the horizon :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Reggie. wrote: »
    Was the mower green. Surely to jaysus you noticed that

Ah Reggie, you put too much faith in me!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Ah Reggie, you put too much faith in me!

I bet you could tell us the colour, make and model of the tractor that was at the start of the weather forecast yesterday.

I bet you could tell us the colour, make and model of the tractor that was at the start of the weather forecast yesterday.

You'd be surprised!! Me & machinery do not get on. Every time I try to remember something it just falls out the other ear it goes in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

You'd be surprised!! Me & machinery do not get on. Every time I try to remember something it just falls out the other ear it goes in :pac:

Some people just aren't machinery people. You're certainly a stockperson. It would be an interesting thread to see how many of us are machinery minded or not.
    I'm middle of the road regards machinery but my father and brother would like a tractor for everyday of the week (if I start counting we migh'nt actually be far off it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

thinking of extending out a few bays of a shed and covering it in clear roof sheeting. The plan would be to use the area as a crush and holding pens for the crush.

Whats the lifespan of that clear polycarbonate sheeting? ? and anyone know the price of the box profile that matches in with cladding per meter in lenght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

thinking of extending out a few bays of a shed and covering it in clear roof sheeting. The plan would be to use the area as a crush and holding pens for the crush.

Whats the lifespan of that clear polycarbonate sheeting? ? and anyone know the price of the box profile that matches in with cladding per meter in lenght

Stuff put up in 98 have been rotting off the last few years so would be 15-20 years at most.
    Don't make any plans until you price it first:0

Odelay wrote: »
    Stuff put up in 98 have been rotting off the last few years so would be 15-20 years at most.
    Don't make any plans until you price it first:0

Ye it’s expensive.

plan would be to do one full bay in it above where the headgate and scales. And then 2 out of 5 on each bay.

15/20 years isn’t great but is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ye it’s expensive.

plan would be to do one full bay in it above where the headgate and scales. And then 2 out of 5 on each bay.

15/20 years isn’t great but is it

I wouldnt say youd gave to do a full bay with it. Ypud be surprised how mych light comes through one o two of them

I wouldnt say youd gave to do a full bay with it. Ypud be surprised how mych light comes through one o two of them

Ok. Never used them here before always stayed away from them because of what I seen in older sheds.

So maybe 2 in each bay?

Ok. Never used them here before always stayed away from them because of what I seen in older sheds.

So maybe 2 in each bay?

Charolais is correct, some amount of light through one, provided they're kept clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So maybe 2 in each bay?

I find that they last longer on the sides of sheds than the roof if you're sheeting the sides.
    Suppose it only works if the sheets are facing south......punched sheeting lets in a good bit of light too...again if it's facing south

wrangler wrote: »
    I find that they last longer on the sides of sheds than the roof if you're sheeting the sides.
    Suppose it only works if the sheets are facing south......punched sheeting lets in a good bit of light too...again if it's facing south

Wasn’t going to sheet the sides.

Wasn’t going to sheet the sides.

White on the inside of the sheeting helps with the light too, better that the normal light grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

The modern clear sheeting is supposed to hold up much better than the older stuff, having said that a mate of mine that does sheds and that full time reckons if you’re doing a full section of roof, you need to double up the sheets to last any length of time

Christ, it's frightening the number of loolahs applying to run for Irish President and Sinn Fein haven't even announced their candidate yet.

Was out for a walk and there's 4 different mowers going around here! Plus met another fella with one on the back of the tractor :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Mowed 12 acres this evening going to bale Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

One of my LMxFR cows calved yesterday and she would do any dairy man proud with the bag of milk she has.

I am wondering should I milk her off a bit or leave her alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    One of my LMxFR cows calved yesterday and she would do any dairy man proud with the bag of milk she has.

I have one or 2 like that. I never milk them. The calf will do that time enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

World ploughing champion at the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

TheFarrier wrote: »
    The modern clear sheeting is supposed to hold up much better than the older stuff, having said that a mate of mine that does sheds and that full time reckons if you’re doing a full section of roof, you need to double up the sheets to last any length of time

Had some clear sheeting which deformed during the heatwave with damage around the areas attached to supports, discoloration and warping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Grueller wrote: »
    I have one or 2 like that. I never milk them. The calf will do that time enough.

Thanks Grueller, that's what I was thinking but the auld man was mad to go milking her!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jeep window frosted over, definitely we’ll onto Autum now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Mac Taylor wrote: »

We have a few like that- we sometimes put a second calf on them ? Does depend on her temperament thou!
    If you don't, just keep a close eye on her calf for scour as I'm sure you know! We wouldn't ever milk them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Jeep window frosted over, definitely we’ll onto Autum now :(

Yeah good bit of ground frost this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yeah good bit of ground frost this morning

At football last night it got cold very quick and dark :(

whelan2 wrote: »
    At football last night it got cold very quick and dark :(

Yeah was tedding yesterday. After about 5pm the drying was gone from the day

• Advertisement

Yeah was tedding yesterday. After about 5pm the drying was gone from the day

But no dew till 9pm. I cut the lawns and what a nightmare. they are usually cut weekly and about 8/10 boxes off the push mower and take 45/60 mins

Cut them yesterday and borrowed dads ride on and had 24 ride on bags of grass and took 2.5hours.

I actually have a clamp of grass after it

On santa list this year is a ride on, Ms Lakill has being informed

But no dew till 9pm. I cut the lawns and what a nightmare. they are usually cut weekly and about 8/10 boxes off the push mower and take 45/60 mins

Cut them yesterday and borrowed dads ride on and had 24 ride on bags of grass and took 2.5hours.

My ride on is 17 years old and while it needs a few belts it’s in good condition for another few.

But after mowing the lawn yesterday I sat down with a cuppa and researched a few robotic mowers, for the price I’d never buy a ride on again, my front and back lawns are completely separate so I’d need to investigate that situation.

€3k will get you a top end robotic mower while it would only get a modest ride on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Anyone know of the top of your head how to convert compound fertiliser to tonnes of N? For this Carbon navigator?

My ride on is 17 years old and while it needs a few belts it’s in good condition for another few.

But after mowing the lawn yesterday I sat down with a cuppa and researched a few robotic mowers, for the price I’d never buy a ride on again, my front and back lawns are completely separate so I’d need to investigate that situation.

€3k will get you a top end robotic mower while it would only get a modest ride on

I split the front lawn in half with a driveway when I bought here . So that's 2 sections.

Then I have 2 sections on the road. I mow from one neightbours to the others. its about 350 meters and with the ride on last night it was 2 full rounds and its a 42 inch deck.

So yes the robots look great but I don't know if I would like it out on the edge of the road, although a lad only told me last week, if they are robbed they are no use to anyone else

Dads last castlegardin was 15.5hp 38 inch and no bother with it for the 14 years. 2 batteries and oil changed yearly. He traded it 2 years ago and got 2k against the bigger 22hp 42inch cut castlegarden. Its twin cylinder B&S engine. it hardly revs at all , but as you said it was €4500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Best job is a mulching mower. No need to collect grass or stop to empty. Cuts cutting time by two thirds

gozunda wrote: »
    Best job is a mulching mower. No need to collect grass or stop to empty. Cuts cutting time by two thirds

That's the weapon of choice here. A big snapper

gozunda wrote: »

ran the mulcher on dads mower a few times years ago and I was told by the mother to pick the grass or leave it for someone else to do. The small mulched grass was being pulled into the house on shoes of the kids and the moss was starting to establish. And its treated like a lawn not a golf course so its not that she was over concerned what it looked like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ran the mulcher on dads mower a few times years ago and I was told by the mother to pick the grass or leave it for someone else to do. The small mulched grass was being pulled into the house on shoes of the kids and the moss was starting to establish. And its treated like a lawn not a golf course so its not that she was over concerned what it looked like.

+1 Mulcher's not great if you have traffic from the lawn to the house......works grand here though

The fcuk kinda size are yer lawns?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I split the front lawn in half with a driveway when I bought here . So that's 2 sections.

If you made a "corridor" from one side to the other with the boundry wire, wouldnt it find its way across?
    You might have to put in ramps from the kerbing to the driveway.

No way I let it near the road, be stolen for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you made a "corridor" from one side to the other with the boundry wire, wouldnt it find its way across?

Some ppl put in tunnels

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Ye my fear it would be lifted or a ****er hit it with a tractor or lorry passing.

I priced a few places earlier this year for a 17hp B&S castlegarden. Think ill invest in back end of the year. Had one lad come in at 2600 for it including a vat invoice

The fcuk kinda size are yer lawns?! :pac:

Over .5 acre here

Over .5 acre here

I get it because kids but jesus. The work of them!! I'd prefer a small bit of grass, few trees with a hammock/bbq, with a view into a nicely kept field.

I get it because kids but jesus. The work of them!! I'd prefer a small bit of grass, few trees with a hammock/bbq, with a view into a nicely kept field.

over half of the grass cut here is along the road. Its safer for motorists and in time when I have the place even 1/3 right it will look something I hope

Same here, plus trees. All in two sections.
    I love gardening but life is busy so it’s hard to mow often as I’d like
    Overall site is 1.2 acres.

Same here, plus trees. All in two sections.
    I love gardening but life is busy so it’s hard to mow often as I’d like
    Overall site is 1.2 acres.

Almost identical here and the house is completely to one side of the site. So lots of grass. I cut it mainly in April and May and then the geese get on top of it. Then I've only to cut one run around the headland to keep the electric fence right.
    I've a small lawn at the front that I cut the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Almost identical here and the house is completely to one side of the site. So lots of grass. I cut it mainly in April and May and then the geese get on top of it. Then I've only to cut one run around the headland to keep the electric fence right.
    I've a small lawn at the front that I cut the whole season.

This is how you look after a big lawn. Better fuel economy than a petrol ride on too.

26345435270_f045a26eef_c.jpgIMAG0935 by Emaherx, on Flickr

Upgraded the mower this year, but it's had less use than I expected!

41939628795_9db9755425_c.jpgIMG_20180602_124502 by Emaherx, on Flickr

emaherx wrote: »
    This is how you look after a big lawn. Better fuel economy than a petrol ride on too.

26345435270_f045a26eef_c.jpgIMAG0935 by Emaherx, on Flickr

Upgraded the mower this year, but it's had less use than I expected!

41939628795_9db9755425_c.jpgIMG_20180602_124502 by Emaherx, on Flickr

I considered similar behind maybe a small garden kabuto tractor, but it’s similar money to a robot that works on its own and I could be tending flowers or in the tunnel more.

• Advertisement

It's because of the geothermal piping in the lawn. That's why it's big

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement