Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Bullocks wrote: »
    Mate of mine moved into an old house belong to his two batchelor great uncles . He wasn't the first to move in but others left because they reckoned it was haunted by one of the uncles .
    Every time yer man brought a woman home the haunted bedroom would act up . Door would start slamming or the light would be on in the morning , something would fall in there . Didn't bother my mate much , I must ask him how he is getting on with it lately (he is doing a steady line now so maybe the uncle doesn't mind as much :D )

Maybe the floating uncle likes the latest lady? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Mate of mine moved into an old house belong to his two batchelor great uncles . He wasn't the first to move in but others left because they reckoned it was haunted by one of the uncles .
    Every time yer man brought a woman home the haunted bedroom would act up . Door would start slamming or the light would be on in the morning , something would fall in there . Didn't bother my mate much , I must ask him how he is getting on with it lately (he is doing a steady line now so maybe the uncle doesn't mind as much :D )

The uncle must approve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    Weird stuff happens.
    House not too far from us and the farmer living in it decided one of the rooms was haunted and felt he could get no peace. He got a builder to come in and block build up the internal doorway and plaster it over like it never existed. Builder was telling me about it, said it was the creepiest thing he’d ever done and it didn’t feel right. The room stayed like that for maybe 20years before house was knocked for a new development of houses.
    I wondered did they open the room before knocking the house.
    A friend of OH lives in the old family home (large cut stone house) and one of the bedrooms is boarded up since before the friends father was born. The window is also closed up with stone cemented in place. You can still see the outline of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I just found out the narcissist Donald Trump never kept a pet and is the first president since 1850 to not have a pet dog, cat, mouse, pony, horse, parrot, canary, cow, sheep, tiger or alligator at the White House.
    He doesn't see the point of a pet probably because it might take some attention away from the Donald.
    The Monster!!

Qi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Is it up on airbnb? :D
    Good. I could do with a bit of eye pulling.
    That's extra!!

Around here they reckon if Airbnb was by the hour ,not day rate you'd triple your takings. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Qi?

Yep.

Shocking carry on.

A housing shortage and people blocking up rooms.
    Lucky for us Prodies we don't believe in that sh1te! :pac:

Isn't there a room blocked up in Maynooth Uni as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you won it Parishlad, I wonder if the Missus then qualifies for the State Non-Contrib. pension whey you get the 141k a year? :D
    What with a bit of Glas money, the Greening and the SFP, a fellow would be in a position to keep on farming!

It would just about pay you to keep farming away wouldn’t it! Fair bit of grazing around the Âras too isn’t there. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Isn't there a room blocked up in Maynooth Uni as well?

There was a room blocked up in Birr Castle, that was only discovered again back in tbe early 80's.
    It had bern used by Mary Ward, a cousin of the owners , as a photography darkroom in the 1890's.
    When it was rediscovered, everything was exactly as it had been left 90 years before.

The same woman, Mary Ward, was the first person in the world to be killed in a car accident...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    There was a room blocked up in Birr Castle, that was only discovered again back in tbe early 80's.
    It had bern used by Mary Ward, a cousin of the owners , as a photography darkroom in the 1890's.
    When it was rediscovered, everything was exactly as it had been left 90 years before.

The same woman, Mary Ward, was the first person in the world to be killed in a car accident...

I only read something about that recently, could have been over in the 'I bet you didn't know that...' thread in AH.

Was just reading about the Maynooth one, it's weird. I love it! :D
    Rhetoric House in the South Campus, built in 1834, was formerly a residential house for trainee priests. It now hosts the Department of History.On 1 March 1841, a young student from Limerick by the name of Sean O’Grady (b. 1820) jumped out of room and fell to his death. (1) It is not known as to what possessed O’Grady to do such a thing but the common legend suggests that a ‘diabolic presence‘ had something to do with it.

Nineteen years later student Thomas McGinn (b. 16 June 1833) from Kilmore, Co. Wexford came up to college in a week early to take his matriculation tests. (2) During this time he stayed in Room No. 2. When term began, he was moved to a different room and was subsequently told that he had spent a week in a room where a previous student had killed himself. It preyed on his mind night and day. On a Friday morning after mass, McGinn went into Room No. 2 cut himself with a razor and then threw himself out of the window.

Dr. McCarthy, the former Vice-President of the college, visited him in the infirmary before he succumbed to his injuries. Apparently he gave them an account of the demonic occurrences that happened in the room that led to his actions. His grave marking state states that he died on April 21 1860.

After this, the tale goes on, a priest spent the night in the room and was so terrified by whatever he saw – he refused to speak about it – that his hair turned bright white. Obviously shaken by all the events that had just taken took place, Dr. McCarthy urged the Trustees to take action, and the result was the resolution in the Trustees’ Journal which reads:

“October 23rd 1860. The President is authorised to convert room No. 2 on the top corridor of Rhetoric House into an Oratory of St. Joseph and to fit up an oratory of St. Aloysius in the prayer hall of the Junior Students”. St. Joseph is the Patron of a Peaceful Death.

Room No. 2 has since become a waiting area among academic offices , but the statue still remains and the window is sealed off, though visible from the outside. There is a recurring story among Maynooth students that the dark stains on the floor are human blood (allegedly confirmed by the college’s chemistry department) and that they can’t be removed no matter what cleaning products are used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was at a wedding last weekend, never was at such an extravagant one , free bar and food for two days.
    Hope they don't need the money in later life, suppose I'm a dry ould sh..e

Great weekend though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

wrangler wrote: »
    I was at a wedding last weekend, never was at such an extravagant one , free bar and food for two days.
    Hope they don't need the money in later life, suppose I;m a dry ould sh..e
    I presume it was a farming wedding and if so daddy was probably a beef man :)

Base price wrote: »
    I presume it was a farming wedding and if so daddy was probably a beef man :)

No they were all professionals, not a farmer in the bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

No they were all professionals, not a farmer in the bunch

2 friends from college got engaged this week. Almost 15 years dating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Eldest has junior cert results today, walking on broken glass would be easier this morning !!

2 friends from college got engaged this week. Almost 15 years dating.

Can't blame them for waiting, some amount of marriages breaking down now.
    so many fathers walk away and the state has to pick up the tab.
    must be very hard on the couples that are trying desperately to hang onto their home to see those on social welfare gettin it handed to them
    Bloody wedding is lasting longer than some of the marriages

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

so may fathers walk away and the state has to pick up the tab.

I'm going out with my woman over 10 years, engaged for the last 5..... still not married. Kids and "life" got in the way :)

must be very hard on the couples that are trying desperately to hang onto their home to see those on social welfare gettin it handed to them

Not solely the fathers either. Many issues about could be left at the women's door also

Reggie. wrote: »
    Not solely the fathers either. Many issues about could be left at the women's door also

I wasn't allaying blame, but stressing that fathers/mothers who walk should be made pay instead of starting another family up the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

They are 2 professionals, no kids bought a place 3/4 years ago together.

She always said she would never get married. Always said it. Her own dad left when her and her brother were young. She had a great mother. Worked her ass off for them. One is an account with large airplane leasing company and son head chief in Ireland with multinational hotel brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Eldest has junior cert results today, walking on broken glass would be easier this morning !!

What time will she get them at? Best if luck to her

whelan2 wrote: »
    What time will she get them at? Best if luck to her

12’ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

On a similar note, but complete opposite I suppose. There's a spot on our farm. It's where 3 fields meet. Lots of big stones there and big overhanging trees. I always thought it was a lovely place. Cattle would stand around there, chewing the cud. Real good feel to the place.
    I was looking through old maps on the Ordinance Survey website and low and behold, there was a house on the spot over 100 years ago. Must have been a happy house. :rolleyes:

There's a field beside me that we used to rent when I was a young lad. There is not a sign of a house except every spring dafodils grow forming the shape of the old avenue. Nothing else strange about the place but it looks cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Back in the 80s when my grandad got sick there was a sale of the cows in the farmyard at home. 2 elderly ladies were at the sale and said that they had grown up in the house (house is 250 odd years old) and asked could they have a look around for old times sake.

After a few hours my nana realized that she hadn’t seen them since and sent my aunt to look, found them crying in one of the small rooms upstairs. Apparently their mother had died in childbirth in that room and their father had blocked up the door and never set foot inside again. They had never seen inside that room.
    It’s been my sisters bedroom for 20 years now though, no record of any spooky goings on..

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

On a similar note, but complete opposite I suppose. There's a spot on our farm. It's where 3 fields meet. Lots of big stones there and big overhanging trees. I always thought it was a lovely place. Cattle would stand around there, chewing the cud. Real good feel to the place.
    I was looking through old maps on the Ordinance Survey website and low and behold, there was a house on the spot over 100 years ago. Must have been a happy house. :rolleyes:

I sometimes get that feeling about a place too. Our land is handed down and I often think of the people who went before as I tip around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Arrived back to the house/yard this morning and found a man putting a letter into box. He was an inspector from the Health & Safety Authority. Wanted to make appointment to have a look around for/at things dangerous under Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Act. So, as I wasn't under any pressure (let's face it, I was dossing around thinking about stuff not doing!!) I told him we could do it there and then.
    Very easy-going lad and the worst he could find was the PTO on tractor didn't have a guard, so that was all that went down on my report! And he made the suggestion that when putting silage bales in the yard to leave a bit more space between some of them, I only have a single layer, none built upwards. He'd seen a couple of nasty accidents where someone had gone up on bales, doing God knows what, fallen and getting stuck maybe head first. Apparently a few people have come to a nasty end like this.
    Good job he didn't come around this time last year - I'd no or broken guards on PTO shafts, the skirt on the rotary mower had died and several lights on the tractor were broken, but got all that stuff fixed during the winter.
    If all inspectors were as fair life would be mighty simple. Only hope they aren't like buses though - none for ages and then several arrive at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

TheFarrier wrote:
    After a few hours my nana realized that she hadn’t seen them since and sent my aunt to look, found them crying in one of the small rooms upstairs. Apparently their mother had died in childbirth in that room and their father had blocked up the door and never set foot inside again. They had never seen inside that room. It’s been my sisters bedroom for 20 years now though, no record of any spooky goings on..

I sometimes get that feeling about a place too. Our land is handed down and I often think of the people who went before as I tip around.

I often think that myself. Who walked along a path, what were they thinking about, what would they think if they seen the place now. Some of our land was passed down from my gran uncle, who also got it from an uncle. But no-one around now except my 101 year granny remembers the original uncle. I think he died in the 1950s, i didn't even know about him till recently and I've forgotten his name at the minute, so when you die you'll be forgotten after 60 70 years. Someone you can't even imagine will be walking your/their land then.

TPF2012 wrote: »
    I often think that myself. Who walked along a path, what were they thinking about, what would they think if they seen the place now. Some of our land was passed down from my gran uncle, who also got it from an uncle. But no-one around now except my 101 year granny remembers the original uncle. I think he died in the 1950s, i didn't even know about him till recently and I've forgotten his name at the minute, so when you die you'll be forgotten after 60 70 years. Someone you can't even imagine will be walking your/their land then.

We’ve a famine ruins on part of the land, the area immediately round the ruins is littered with primroses, usual yellow but also the pink and orange that are unusual in the wild. I see them in the spring and think no matter their hardships someone took time to move them about and have some glimpse of colour in what must have been a very tough life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

there was a wrecked old house near us that had a field of daffodils in the garden.
    My mam dug up bulbs and gave them to each cousin with a house and garden on that side of the family so they'd have some kind of link to the home area

Same here, we've the home place stocked with daffs from an outfarm where we levelled a smallholding,It was a 30 acres farm divided into 10 paddocks including two little veggie paddocks and an orchard, a little house......whitethorns sown around all the paddocks
    Needn't tell you I introduced the bulldozer fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Same here, we've the home place stocked with daffs from an outfarm where we levelled a smallholding,It was a 30 acres farm divided into 10 paddocks including two little veggie paddocks and an orchard, a little house......whitethorns sown around all the paddocks

You were dead right wrangler, filthy orchards and whitethorn fences haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Taking a weeks holidays from today till next week.
    Have 350 tulips and 7kg of daffodils to plant. Anyone free? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

All the talk of spooky things got me thinking hard about the famine times.
    Was working out in leanaun last week and with the low sun this time of year you could clearly see all the ridges on the hills. My own land has plenty of them as Well as others around the country. But to see the work and hardship they had to do to try and get potatoes to grow. Not for profit but to just stop themselves from dying of hunger. It must have been absolutely soul destroying goin out everyday and trying to dig ridges in the worst of land just to survive. Now we think it's hard work heading into Tesco to buy a plastic bag of them for €2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Looks like another construction company going down with financial problems.

Looks like another construction company going down with financial problems.

?

?

Slow internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

?

MDY construction another Kildare based company with a turnover between 40-50 million.
    They've stopped work on a few sites from what I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

What happened to the Egan thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What happened to the Egan thread?

It went where the dark goes when you turn on the light.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

(Egan Livestock Thread) It was removed after I pointed out that the Thread was as good as slandering the company. It was suspicious in that the OP created an account just to rubbish them. After all if the livestock company were that bad they would not be long in business.
    I asked a local dealer to get calves for me last spring, he charged €6/head + €25 haulage (for all) on top of the cost price.

Best calves I ever got, he has a great eye for picking good ones and got them at a lot less than I would be paying!

as an aside

the Mod here is sneaky too in that he/she didn't give an update or just mark the thread closed. They just pulled it clean. Must be fear of getting sued.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

(Egan Livestock Thread) It was removed after I pointed out that the Thread was as good as slandering the company. It was suspicious in that the OP created an account just to rubbish them. After all if the livestock company were that bad they would not be long in business.
    I asked a local dealer to get calves for me last spring, he charged €6/head + €25 haulage (for all) on top of the cost price.

Best calves I ever got, he has a great eye for picking good ones and got them at a lot less than I would be paying!

as an aside

the Mod here is sneaky too in that he/she didn't give an update or just mark the thread closed. They just pulled it clean. Must be fear of getting sued.

First of all, we don't discuss moderation issues in public.

Secondly, after coming in from a long day it takes time to go through a thread and determine the best course of action.

The thread has been taken down while we consider where to go with it.

Addendum: Thread now deleted.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Got a good laugh this morning. Our poor old lab got a stroke 2weeks ago and I bought him to the vet devastated as I thought I'd be putting him down. Vet advised give him a few days and see and he has recovered a lot but is still a bit shaky and heads held down to the side so there is a bit of paralysis down one side of his body. He is in good spirits thou and that's all we want with him.....I look out the window this morning and he is trying to jump up on our (neutered) collie(he was never very smart) but kept falling over and was barking at her to stay still-she was looking at him in a wtf kinda way!! I can see why they say there is life in the old dog yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A couple (brother and sister) living in locality here never got the electricity into their thatched cottage or running water.. a few cattle in a tie up Byre. A two span hayshed and a me 35 tractor. Pristine whitewash, and songbirds,ground nesting birds, bees and fat angus cattle all co existed.
    The brother wore a long black coat a wide flat cap and cycled a bike and looked a lot like “the bird” in the film the field. The wireless was listened to and newspapers consumed in great detail. In the early 00,s they lived as though it was still the 50,s. 60 acres of land in 14 fields complete with marlholes, sally trees mature blackthorns. The land with ridges and furrows that were ploughed by horsemen generations before.. and despite the land being heavy there was very little rushes.

They had no family and tho both were hale and hearty all their lives
    the both contracted very aggressive stomach cancer and died within a year of each other. A local who had a knack of “minding” such people managed to get the farm willed to a son who flogged the cattle immediately and after bulldozing all hedgerows, set the place as conacre. Then sold sites. And happily frequented female escort services while his wife worked.. got caught and farm sold. Now the thatch is falling in. The old sheds are falling down. And the land is a barren bleak looking poor pasture in 3 fields. (The tillage in heavy land took its toll).

• Advertisement

I was sure a bull I 'd sold had been slaughtered so wasn't checking up on his stats. Was looking for something off the lineage so just checked him & he's got 21 calves reg'd to him now. Rightly pleased with that considering he'd only gone a year old when he was sold :D:D

dancing-cow.gif?ssl=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Willfarman wrote: »
    A couple (brother and sister) living in locality here never got the electricity into their thatched cottage or running water.. a few cattle in a tie up Byre. A two span hayshed and a me 35 tractor. Pristine whitewash, and songbirds,ground nesting birds, bees and fat angus cattle all co existed.
    The brother wore a long black coat a wide flat cap and cycled a bike and looked a lot like “the bird” in the film the field. The wireless was listened to and newspapers consumed in great detail. In the early 00,s they lived as though it was still the 50,s. 60 acres of land in 14 fields complete with marlholes, sally trees mature blackthorns. The land with ridges and furrows that were ploughed by horsemen generations before.. and despite the land being heavy there was very little rushes.

They had no family and tho both were hale and hearty all their lives
    the both contracted very aggressive stomach cancer and died within a year of each other. A local who had a knack of “minding” such people managed to get the farm willed to a son who flogged the cattle immediately and after bulldozing all hedgerows, set the place as conacre. Then sold sites. And happily frequented female escort services while his wife worked.. got caught and farm sold. Now the thatch is falling in. The old sheds are falling down. And the land is a barren bleak looking poor pasture in 3 fields. (The tillage in heavy land took its toll).

There is a local couple who have a similar "knack of minding" elderly people with no relatives.
    The husband was caught on his own cctv camera getting intimate with another fellow when they were supposed to be checking on a cow calving.
    Jeeze folks, dont pipe your cctv to the family telly ......

as an aside

I reported the thread it was closed down within a few minutes. Did you report it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

No Sir I did not.
    But were you not one of the fella's cheer-leading the whole thing by thanking and thumbs up the posts?

No Sir I did not.
    But were you not one of the fella's cheer-leading the whole thing by thanking and thumbs up the posts?

No. I'm a woman :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement