Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

My apologies Mam :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

I never knew that, but its great to know its not all men here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

there's 3 females posting in the 10 posts previous to this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

No Sir I did not.
    But were you not one of the fella's cheer-leading the whole thing by thanking and thumbs up the posts?

Why didn't you report it if you had an issue with it so? Mods have lives too, it's not like they sit there looking at each & every post.
    The poster wanted information on a crowd & got fair enough replies, could have been done more diplomatically but if you want to know, you want to know. I know the lads in question too & it'd be like water off a ducks back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Cute Baby :)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

My apologies Mam :o

It's Ma'am not Mam btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I used to call an old lady that lived in the house next door Mam! Herself and my grandmother, who was called Nan, when everywhere together - "Mam and Nan are off again" was my constant comment when I was 4. Hadn't thought of that for the best part of 50 years - thanks lads!!!!

Feeling mighty old:(

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

How much would I pick up a flayel mower for? Want cut some rushes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

KatyMac wrote: »

Feeling mighty old:(

Age is only a number & you’re only as old as you feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There could be an idea here for someone looking to give a present for a birthday or Christmas.

https://soils.sectormentor.com/case-study/know-your-soils-6-soil-health-reading-list/

Edit: It's too late for this year for me as a birthday present. Christmas however....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Less is often more, too many busy fools particularly it seems in beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Clear herd test :D Some relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Clear herd test :D Some relief.

Good stuff. Ours is coming up in October. Will be getting rid of a few before the test....just in case.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Good stuff. Ours is coming up in October. Will be getting rid of a few before the test....just in case.

Had done likewise. Gave away a few year and a half heifers. If I had known I was going to be clear I'd have held onto them

Had done likewise. Gave away a few year and a half heifers. If I had known I was going to be clear I'd have held onto them

If you held on to them you would have gone down.....sods law!

And if I knew you were giving them away I would have called to you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Parishlad wrote: »
    If you held on to them you would have gone down.....sods law!

And if I knew you were giving them away I would have called to you! :D

Ditto, LC has nice heifers at great prices, if only I knew when and where he was selling them!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a cow calved in a field a bit away from the yard, calf was down in the ditch, my dad ,myself and young lad were performing the recovery :D I got hit in the shin with the slash hook which my dad was using to clear the brambles :cool: dog had followed us up to field and the cow was not impressed. Any way got calf out and it's a belgian blue bull, all good now , apart from my shin

18 mile run this morning @ 7am. Have done what jobs I needed to do today. Legs are fairly tired now so it’s feet up for the evening! :D

Found weanling down today. Trying to get up but unable to. I noticed him coughing a bit during the week but I had them done with a pouron less than a month. He was a bit snotty nosed too. Vet reckon it was a hurt, maybe nerve damage.
    Twice Vet has been out in a week. Other vet in practice put shoe on cow during the week.
    Always something. We'd be lost without the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a cow calved in a field a bit away from the yard, calf was down in the ditch, my dad ,myself and young lad were performing the recovery :D I got hit in the shin with the slash hook which my dad was using to clear the brambles :cool: dog had followed us up to field and the cow was not impressed. Any way got calf out and it's a belgian blue bull, all good now , apart from my shin

Some day I reckon you should write a book.
    👌

Brother sent me a photo of a wedding they are at in sligo. He said they are sitting on straw bales. Its fecking hay. Very disappointed I am .... He's officially a townie

Brother sent me a photo of a wedding they are at in sligo. He said they are sitting on straw bales. Its fecking hay. Very disappointed I am .... He's officially a townie

Any hay lice? Now that would be gas. Everyone mad itchy. :)

• Advertisement

Any hay lice? Now that would be gas. Everyone mad itchy. :)

A WHAT NOW?!!?!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tis an itch you get after a roll in the hay. Patsy seems to know all about it, probably had a cream for it too:0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Hung 2 gates today that had been on the long finger.
    Did first on my own & second with help.
    Jobs are much easier with a second person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

So I arrive at my field earlier and there's a stranger, (not obvious to me as being any particular ethnic minority tbh) just inside the gate with two hounds with him. I asked him what exactly he thought he was doing, told him he's not allowed on my land and he mumbled an apology before heading off.
    Three vans headed off in a convoy, didn't recognize them as locals either.
    Rang the Gardai, gave them the one reg I managed to read.
    I checked it on online vehicle search site later and it came up as Renault Clio.
    Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences

Ah c'mon. I must be showing my age. Yep, Hay Lice. Remember them here when I was young. You'd only get them in certain years. If you were handling hay, you'd get covered in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭148multi

So I arrive at my field earlier and there's a stranger, (not obvious to me as being any particular ethnic minority tbh) just inside the gate with two hounds with him. I asked him what exactly he thought he was doing, told him he's not allowed on my land and he mumbled an apology before heading off.
    I checked it on online vehicle search site later and it came up as Renault Clio.

Same thing happened here last year.
    A few years ago a brown mitz sport with vw passat plates.
    A retired member of ags found two in his field with a lurcher with a broken leg, the ex member _farmer gave verbal instructions and in response the indigenous person picked up the dog by the ears and shoved it into the farmers face. Farmer lamped him, five more arrive across the hill with more dogs. My farmer friend though he had bitten off more than he could chew. But the six pick up yer man, throw him into the back of a hiace and dog on top and hit home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Elderly man living at the end of our lane was swindled by a travelling salesman.
    He came selling jumpers and coats, and yer man bought a jumper.
    Having sern the money stored in the tea caddy, he came back a week later selling blankets and duvets.
    Got into the kitchen and spread a duvet out, covering table, tea caddy and all. Emptied the money with one hand while talking non stop. Got about 5 weeks pension.
    The old chap only discover the loss a day or two later.
    It was the end of his independance, he got scared, afraid, wasnt sleeping etc and went into a residential home nearby.
    Yer man tried the same trick down the road with a farmers wife, but she bet him out with a sweeping brush.
    We were told by the Gardai he robbed an elderly lady up Kingscourt direction of thousands.
    He was driving a Golf but the reg. plate came off a Mondeo.

He was Pakistani or similar, and was back in the UK almost before the robberies were reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Just a quick question.
    If I dose cattle today and withdrawal is 40 days can I sell in mart after 30 days?
    On dept website it says sell for slaughter or sell produce(milk) till after withdrawal.

But ca n I sell in mart a few days before it's completely up knowing the animal wont be slaughtered as it's far off ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

What's good for ticks on cattle, some here with a good load on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

TPF2012 wrote: »
    What's good for ticks on cattle, some here with a good load on them.

Bayticol

KatyMac wrote: »
    Bayticol

Downside is it's quite dear though, it's more useful as a tick preventative before letting new stock off on ticky ground. We'd use spot on/tactic if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

KatyMac wrote:
    Bayticol

Downside is it's quite dear though, it's more useful as a tick preventative before letting new stock off on ticky ground. We'd use spot on/tactic if

What is the persistency of these products, how often do they need to be reapplied? Thanks for the info.

Won a league final today after a good few years in the doldrums....I'd swear if we ever win a championship again there will be houses knocked!

TPF2012 wrote: »

What is the persistency of these products, how often do they need to be reapplied? Thanks for the info.
    I think they're all roughly about 6 weeks though by this stage the ticks will be fecking off for winter anyway so 1 dose will do until next May if you're set on doing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Mod Note:Post removed.

For your information, I've posted the relevant regulations. I also suggest you read sections 2 and 6 of the F&F Charter.

LEGAL AGE LIMITS FOR SURGICAL PROCEDURES WITHOUT ANALGESIA (IRELAND)
    B: Disbudding/Dehorning
    Farmers (or Veterinary Practitioners/Nurses) may perform the disbudding / dehorning of:
    cattle up to 15 days of age without use of anaesthesia or analgesia;
    cattle between 15 and 28 days but only with use of appropriate local anaesthesia and analgesia (as per a veterinary prescription issued by the farmer’s Veterinary Practitioner in relation to the animals undergoing the procedure);
    sheep and goats up to 8 days of age without use of anaesthesia or analgesia;
    Irrespective of the legal allowance to not use local anaesthesia, for animal welfare reasons the use of local anaesthesia and appropriate analgesia should be encouraged by Veterinary Practitioners;
    For cattle over 28 days of age, and sheep and goats over 8 days of age, only a Veterinary Practitioner may disbud / dehorn, and in this case the Veterinary Practitioner must by law, use appropriate anaesthesia and analgesia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Gwan Bally !!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Won a league final today after a good few years in the doldrums....I'd swear if we ever win a championship again there will be houses knocked!

Gwan Bally !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

satstheway wrote: »
    Just a quick question.
    If I dose cattle today and withdrawal is 40 days can I sell in mart after 30 days?
    On dept website it says sell for slaughter or sell produce(milk) till after withdrawal.

But ca n I sell in mart a few days before it's completely up knowing the animal wont be slaughtered as it's far off ready.

If you're in Bord Bia, it is a big problem selling before the withdrawal date. I've seen animals declared as still being in withdrawal in the mart but that's a few years ago now.

I'd say give the mart a ring, it's something they would get asked often I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Has anyone seem my cattle card??? Have the test Tomorrow and went to file box last night to get the cards. One card is missing can't find it anywhere. Turned the house upside down. Wife won't be happy when she sees it.

jimini0 wrote: »
    Has anyone seem my cattle card??? Have the test Tomorrow and went to file box last night to get the cards. One card is missing can't find it anywhere. Turned the house upside down. Wife won't be happy when she sees it.

You don't need the cards for the test anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really ??
    Our vet always asks for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Cards are still updated with the test date around here.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

_Brian wrote: »
    Really ??
    Our vet always asks for them.
    Ye. This last few years they said there's no need. They will stamp them if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ye. This last few years they said there's no need. They will stamp them if you want

Mine still looks for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

bord bia auditor asked why I hadn't the cards updated ?

told him there was no legal requirement to do so

he says it's a needed for bord bia

slammed the bord bia in front of him and asked to see where such was stated

end of conversation !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement