Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Can't ask the question on the photo thread, so will ask here.
    Why would trees need to be bound like this?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=460619&d=1536353195

Keep rooted during high winds or something more traditional that I'm missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,785 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Odelay wrote: »
    Can't ask the question on the photo thread, so will ask here.
    Why would trees need to be bound like this?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=460619&d=1536353195

Keep rooted during high winds or something more traditional that I'm missing?

It's supposed to be "art" Odelay.

Someone who doesn't have to milk cows for a living made that!

Probably stuck a title called "The never ending weave of Nature" on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Anyone hear any reason why?.

Maybe I should organize a sale as well :cool:

i'm guessing cause it'd still be a working AI stud so biosecurity would be important

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Anyone using peat as bedding is it easily got and how much is there anything else cheap that can use for bedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

marathon wrote: »
    Anyone using peat as bedding is it easily got and how much is there anything else cheap that can use for bedding?
    There is a thread about it here and peat is talked about - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057895059

Base price wrote: »
    There is a thread about it here and peat is talked about - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057895059
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Guys, any ideas how I could figure whats wrong with this guy? He's still not able to get up. Fed him some meal and cut grass this morning and he ate it away. Head is bright and alert.
    I stretched out both back legs and they don't seem to be broken. Vet did the same. I pressed down along his backbone and no response.
    Kind of at a loss. Might try lifting him later today with loader and a big strap.

He got up. Can't believe it. Just pulled out of the ploughing this evening and a neighbour rang to say he was up grazing. He had gone right across to the other side of the field when I got home. Drank the cow and all while I was there. He was down about 3 1/2 days.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

He got up. Can't believe it. Just pulled out of the plowing this evening and a neighbour rang to say he was up grazing. He had gone right across to the other side of the field when I got home. Drank the cow and all while I was there. He was done about 3 1/2 days.

On the third day he rose again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

He got up. Can't believe it. Just pulled out of the plowing this evening and a neighbour rang to say he was up grazing. He had gone right across to the other side of the field when I got home. Drank the cow and all while I was there. He was down about 3 1/2 days.

Great stuff

• Advertisement

Just shows you shouldnt give up on them. I turned him over on his other side last night and he wasn't moving his back legs at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just shows you shouldnt give up on them. I turned him over on his other side last night and he wasn't moving his back legs at all.
    I know some people would disagree with me but as long as they are alive they deserve every chance we can give them. It also helps that you have faith in your Vet and likewise that they have faith in you as a stockwoman/man.
    We would drastically reduce our stock numbers if our Vet quit her practice.
    In our small operation the relationship with our Vet and Accountant are paramount to us.

Any word on when ANC Payment’s due?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

marathon wrote: »
    Any word on when ANC Payment’s due?

It's in today for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Our power is our and both creep feeders are upside down. Tad windy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you dont absolutely need to be on the road, sit down and have a mug of tea.
    Wait an hour or so.
    This big ass beech fell at the edge of our town, in the two minutes it took me to drop a kid to school.

NvLDe1a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you dont absolutely need to be on the road, sit down and have a mug of tea.
    Wait an hour or so.
    This big ass beech fell at the edge of our town, in the two minutes it took me to drop a kid to school.

NvLDe1a.jpg

Hope you had a chain saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No saw, I was in the car.
    Anyway, the next tree might come down on you.
    That thing is 30 inches across where it broke off, youd need a good chain and a fractor or loading shovel to move it.
    Two other roads I tried to get home were blocked with trees also,

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Bit of a joke pushing the ploughing start time back to 12 from 11 at this stage. Most people would have left the house long before they heard about it.

Should have made it 1 o'clock yesterday. Cut there loses and hope for a big crowd tomorrow.

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Bit of a joke pushing the ploughing start time back to 12 from 11 at this stage. Most people would have left the house long before they heard about it.

Should have made it 1 o'clock yesterday. Cut there loses and hope for a big crowd tomorrow.

It's to pelt rain tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    It's to pelt rain tomorrow

I see there's thousands waiting to get in, I presume they're in the carparks at this stage, are they mad, I'd be gone home
    OH is pushing a couple trees off a road at the moment with the tractor ...mad

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    I see there's thousands waiting to get in, I presume they're in the carparks at this stage, are they mad, I'd be gone home
    OH is pushing a couple trees off a road at the moment with the tractor ...mad

Yesterday was the day. I bet tho record numbers will have attended this year as always

It's been cancelled for the day now. Poorly managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

MeTheMan wrote: »
    It's been cancelled for the day now. Poorly managed.

They've risked peoples lives, hope everyone gets home without incident

People stuck in tge car park now i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

I don’t recall anyone forcing anyone to go.

Some photos and videos of the site here. https://m.facebook.com/connachtagri.ie/

How they ever taught they were going to open today with the site in that state I don't know. Risking life's to make a bit of money.

Snowfire wrote: »

That'd be my take on it. People can make their own decisions on going, it shouldn't take an event being cancelled to have a bit of common sense.
    Very poor management though,the damage as seen on those videos took a while to do. It should have been obvious fairly quickly that too much damage was being done to get up & running on time for the day.

That'd be my take on it. People can make their own decisions on going, it shouldn't take an event being cancelled to have a bit of common sense.
    Very poor management though,the damage as seen on those videos took a while to do. It should have been obvious fairly quickly that too much damage was being done to get up & running on time for the day.
    I doubt it can all be fixed up for tomorrow either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Snowfire wrote: »

Lots of exhibitors staff, catering staff, emergency services staff are all forced to go.......if they want to keep their job...
    Its a bit like saying nobody forced you to go out and give food and water to your cattle during the snow storm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

met eireann have a lot to answer for

18 days ago this storm was predicted and met eireann literally laughted it off

my son and his mates were due to go today, took 1 look at the radar sunday evening and rearranged & went yesterday instead

• Advertisement

People may not have been forced to go, but if they say its open you would imagine they assessed the situation and decided it was safe to open. You certainly would be expecting marquees to be flying and floors to be lifting while thousands are sat outside expecting to get in.

orm0nd wrote: »

my son and his mates were due to go today, took 1 look at the radar sunday evening and rearranged & went yesterday instead

anything further than 3 days met eireann don't trust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,983 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Did Met Eireann not give an Orange warning yesterday I got a text at work late yesterday

Slava Ukrainii

Did Met Eireann not give an Orange warning yesterday I got a text at work late yesterday

What we got here today was way worse than any status orange we got before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,983 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

whelan2 wrote: »
    What we got here today was way worse than any status orange we got before

The damage with most storms hit certain area's worse than other. Was stormy but nothing worse than normal around here. This storm hit the Midlands worse than usual, storms generally hit costal area's worse than inland. Storm Ophelia was category red and was much more severe. There is a tendancy to ignore orange warning but the damage in certain area's can be widespread In 2014. Darwin hit our area very hard but Ophelia was nowhere as bad. Ophelia hit Cork hard. This one was called Hector I think but it eye was quite far North.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/uk-storm-centre/storm-hector

Ophelia gave a bit more of a blow down here but Cork got the most of it early this year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

He got up. Can't believe it. Just pulled out of the plowing this evening and a neighbour rang to say he was up grazing. He had gone right across to the other side of the field when I got home. Drank the cow and all while I was there. He was done about 3 1/2 days.

On the third day he rose again

T'is a pity it wasn't a red heifer - there'd could be some interest from the boys out in Israel ;)

None of the yummy mummy's standing at the school gates today

None of the yummy mummy's standing at the school gates today

Might get a hair out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Might get a hair out of place.

At least the Chelsea tractors or whatever the equivalent are will have come in handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

yes , but npa went ahead for a later start to day after consulting with them just 12 hours previously

or so we are led to believe :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I think allot of people got very complacent with all the weather warnings over the past 6 months. Literally for a few weeks there was some kind of weather warning or other and none seemed too bad. Then you have today which was worse than was anticipated.

Evelyn cusack was on ivan Yates yesterday evening and I left that that show without thinking there was anything big happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

yes , but npa went ahead for a later start to day after consulting with them just 12 hours previously

or so we are led to believe :rolleyes:

And youre blaming met eireann for that. If there was a hint of danger,the npa should of called it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tents and high winds = disaster. I think what happened today was entirely predictable days out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Tents and high winds = disaster. I think what happened today was entirely predictable days out

We spoke about it at work yesterday while having the tea. Everyone agreed that there would be damage and that the npa would put its own interests ahead of the exhibitors and patrons. The npa claimed to be in contact with met eireann, yet they failed to deal with what was happening.

Spent a long time looking for this lad today. He was in the calving paddock which has sheep wire and 2 strands of electric fence all around it. He was about 20 foot away from the paddock

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »

A tent ended up at the back door of our house yesterday. Had to go asking the neighbours who owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

A tent ended up at the back door of our house yesterday. Had to go asking the neighbours who owned it.

So did you return it !

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    So did you return it !

Ya. I didn't want the hassle of dumping it.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hear there is a credit warning on farming out there. Don't know if its just among the banks and advisors or made public yet. Has any one else heard?

Water John wrote: »
    Hear there is a credit warning on farming out there. Don't know if its just among the banks and advisors or made public yet. Has any one else heard?

it'd make sense, pig men are is trouble with prices and everybody getting squeezed by increases in feed and facing into a winter where there isn't enough fodder to go around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement