Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,983 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Water John wrote: »
    Hear there is a credit warning on farming out there. Don't know if its just among the banks and advisors or made public yet. Has any one else heard?

Commonsense would tell you that. Look at DD the amount of tractors and other machinery that are being readvertised by tractor dealers every 20-30 days is colossal in some cases repeat add every 10 days. Friend of mine was into one dealer and the dealer is expecting to start shifting when the SFP arrives. Lots of tractors imported from the UK during the sterling weakness early in the year are still sitting there. There is a farm machinery auction every 2 weeks in Portlaois. This is similar to 2008 when the property crash happened when there was car and builder machinery auction 2-3 time a week in Dublin.

A salesman with a feed merchant told me a month ago that they were telling lads with big bills that you have to pay off some before they deliver anymore.I imagine that there are large Co-op and Merchant bills out there. As well I see that there are some contractors trying to offload machinery as well a sign that maybe bills are unpayed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

lucky the milk price has held somewhat reasonably.. a 20cent milk price and a year like this would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Was at the ploughing yesterday. Very little money changing hands as far as i can see.

Willfarman wrote: »
    lucky the milk price has held somewhat reasonably.. a 20cent milk price and a year like this would be interesting.

I saw ateagsc figure where for lads that were highly stocked taht the extar cost thsi year was 6-7c/litre. They saif taht thsi year was equivlent to a price of 26c/litre compared to a 3-4 year average.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Those who got big allocations in the fixed price schemes would be losing a nice bit at the moment. I only have a small bit thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This seemed to be a red flag from banks about loans and further lending. As ye say the signals were there with a good while, just banks hadn't officially recognised the issue. As someone I know was talking to a Bank Manager about 12 months ago, and the Manager was pointing to the 2025 doc, things were fine.

Serious grass growth and ground is hard as priest in a barny suit. Store lambs or light store cattle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Serious grass growth and ground is hard as priest in a barny suit. Store lambs or light store cattle?

And my cattle are poaching the place!

Forecast is good for next week..

Have contractor booked for next week for bales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Was told today looks like 3 weeks with very little rain coming. I said they can't tell wants coming after 1 week never mind 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    This seemed to be a red flag from banks about loans and further lending. As ye say the signals were there with a good while, just banks hadn't officially recognised the issue. As someone I know was talking to a Bank Manager about 12 months ago, and the Manager was pointing to the 2025 doc, things were fine.
    I dropped in paperwork to our accountant on Monday. He told me that the main 3 banks haven't renewed stocking loans this year with a lot of farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Store lambs as many as you can take and buy dear to help us out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Base price wrote: »
    I dropped in paperwork to our accountant on Monday. He told me that the main 3 banks haven't renewed stocking loans this year with a lot of farmers.

18/19....reference years....just saying

alps wrote: »
    I wouldn't know but I presume 17/18?

Renewed mine a few weeks ago. No problem

Stocking loans are usually used by finishers to fill sheds every autumn. Maybe this is part of the reasons that lads are not going finishing this year. It would also put lads who buy and finish in the 100 day period under pressure. This would add to the incentive to sell silage rather than fill sheds. Banks are wary abouy getting caught regarding Brexit, add other risks such as higher ration costs and silage stocks and they may be protecting farmers with the outlooks. It was hinted earlier in the year that Banks wanted finishers to have forward pricing from processors in place this year before they would lend them money this autumn. As well this may be hitting Feed merchants access to borrowings, you could see Merchants looking for bills to be paid monthly for this winter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s always shocking to me the power large companies are constantly given.

This might seem simple but as alas move forward more and more electronic systems on equipment, imagine being hit with a law case because you amend your own equipment, it’s not unlike the power handed to Monsanto with proprietary seeds.

https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I wouldn't know but I presume 17/18?

Is this for next round of CAP?

• Advertisement

Ard_MC wrote: »

Store lambs as many as you can take and buy dear to help us out!!
    When I make the million you’ll be sorry you didn’t keep them!

Light store cattle are fairly good value especially light 15-18 months old bulls. it amazing the amount of lads that will not squeeze a few cattle. Neighbour bought nice 340kg AA bulls off sucklers badly done 16-18 months old for 475 euro including fees. Will not make the biggest cattle in the world but should leave a nice margin next year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s always shocking to me the power large companies are constantly given.

This might seem simple but as alas move forward more and more electronic systems on equipment, imagine being hit with a law case because you amend your own equipment, it’s not unlike the power handed to Monsanto with proprietary seeds.

https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/

Ah that would never fly here. It's only gonna hurt john deere in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lot of farmers in the US using software alteration bought from Ukraine, I think. Obviously fecks your warranty. But once the machine is over a certain age, who cares.

Bit of a boast here. Young lad did 4 mile race in 23.27 knocked 31 seconds off his pb

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

whelan2 wrote: »
    Bit of a boast here. Young lad did 4 mile race in 23.27 knocked 31 seconds off his pb
    Great stuff. That’s fair tippin!

• Advertisement

Parishlad wrote: »
    Great stuff. That’s fair tippin!
    Only running a year now, moving along nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

What age is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Brilliant- well done to him. I could barely drive it in that.

Parishlad wrote: »
    What age is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,785 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

Some time. He must have a bit of natural ability. Just be careful that he is not overdoing it. A young lad in the club here did at that age and he not finished growing. He ended up with hip and knee problem mid twenties. To be fair there is a long history of osteo arthriritis in his family.

No problem with ours either but I'd consider ours as small fry.

No problem with ours either but I'd consider ours as small fry.

Stocking loans are immaterial on the dairy side to an extent as most loans are longterm. Short term lending is rife on the beef side. Just look at the economics of it it. 500 finishing cattle at 1K/head 500K, at 900/head is 450K. What is 50K among friends if it stopped there. If it stopped there it might not be a bad thing. But add another 100-120K in straights and maize and you are into cuckoo land where the margin is 80-100 euro/head. Even if lads only borrow 50% it is still not viable in a brexit scenario. Banks are doing beef farmers a favour

Slava Ukrainii

alps wrote: »

Any more conversation or ideas on this folks ??

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/19517510

Saw these on DD, handy storage and locks can be bought for a few euro.

Handy for medicines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/19517510

Saw these on DD, handy storage and locks can be bought for a few euro.

Handy for medicines.

No keys to lock though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

gozunda wrote: »

Lockers are easy to pick open though, simple enough mechanism in them. Then remove that lock and put in a new one, simple ;D
    It's pissing rain all morning in Tallinn, feels like home!

gozunda wrote: »

Yes,
    For every silver lining someone finds a cloud ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

WADA will be wanting him to piss in a bottle with that kind of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes,
    For every silver lining someone finds a cloud ;)

Nothing worse than a busted bucket ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Admit it.

You've been chasing him with a pressure washer.

kowtow wrote: »
    Admit it.

You've been chasing him with a pressure washer.
    My power washer is broke, I sent it back on Friday, there's a year warranty on it :mad:

My power washer is broke, I sent it back on Friday, there's a year warranty on it :mad:

That’s very disappointing:(

That’s very disappointing:(
    aye, and there's a load of washing to be done

aye, and there's a load of washing to be done

There always is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,785 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A handy farm office. 🄠ðŸ´

https://youtu.be/x4NU9KwpZog

A handy farm office. 🄠ðŸ´

https://youtu.be/x4NU9KwpZog

Like it. Next winter project

Was just listening to a comment sent in by a viewer to Ireland am. They are on about the housing crisis and said see how the government gave farmers loads of money towards fodder during the snow could they not do the same for those who need homes. I didn't get anything from the government during the snow , did anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Was just listening to a comment sent in by a viewer to Ireland am. They are on about the housing crisis and said see how the government gave farmers loads of money towards fodder during the snow could they not do the same for those who need homes. I didn't get anything from the government during the snow , did anyone else?

Zero, that sounds like another poorly informed and more then likely poorly educated urbanite venting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Are they suggesting families be given supplies to build straw bale houses?
    Not a good year to introduce that scheme!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement