Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Business idea..

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-09-exposure-farmyard-bugs-immune-overreaction.html

You'd pity them oul townies all the same with their sniffling and allergies.
    I remember reading a report some years ago blaming the use of carpets, plush furnishing and aerosol spray in houses for the increase in people suffering with asthma. The article you linked referenced the Amish community who live by meager means and such commodities would not be in their households.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Kinda graphic and frightening thread from Twitter but interesting how they used technology to track down the place where it happened.

I know it's nowhere near on the same Richter scale.
    But when you think of the idiotic idea that the government here want to make it a criminal offence to film any of our civil forces at work. :rolleyes:

Edit: maybe blasting them all over social media is not the best idea. Or maybe any footage should be able to be sent to an independent agency.
    But for the moment the thought of smart phones keeps a lot of people honest.

Base price wrote: »
    I remember reading a report some years ago blaming the use of carpets, plush furnishing and aerosol spray in houses for the increase in people suffering with asthma. The article you linked referenced the Amish community who live by meager means and such commodities would not be in their households.

Unfortunately our move away from whole food to processed food and farm life to city life is not in the best interests of our health and gut microbiome.

Edit: Amish would be farming by organic means too so no chemical modification of the soil or food. Just to link it in to your post about the chemical modification from aerosols, cleaners in a "modern" home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I know it's nowhere near on the same Richter scale.
    But when you think of the idiotic idea that the government here want to make it a criminal offence to film any of our civil forces at work. :rolleyes:

Edit: maybe blasting them all over social media is not the best idea. Or maybe any footage should be able to be sent to an independent agency.
    But for the moment the thought of smart phones keeps a lot of people honest.

Like a lot of Irish laws, I'd imagine that law will be mostly ignored and all hell break loose if a prosecution were attempted.

Like a lot of Irish laws, I'd imagine that law will be mostly ignored and all hell break loose if a prosecution were attempted.

Ah it'll never go through anyway. There's too much opposition to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

The farmer behind our house got bales made just finished when it rained. He got three cuts and good return from each.

Got the daughters school fees for secondary. The one that stands out is photocopying.
    Family @ €70
    Single @ €50
    Think they would make it €35 a each child.
    Their only black and white photocopying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Anyone on here having trouble with lurcher type dogs and the people that go with them on their land lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pod123 wrote: »
    The farmer behind our house got bales made just finished when it rained. He got three cuts and good return from each.

Got the daughters school fees for secondary. The one that stands out is photocopying.
    Family @ €70
    Single @ €50

Isnt most stuff on whiteboards now. Not as much paper needed

I says wrote: »
    Anyone on here having trouble with lurcher type dogs and the people that go with them on their land lately.

A good bit not far from here. Lots of lads cattle breaking out while running from the dogs. One farmer confronted them and they threatened to burn his house down around him. Guards called and went looking for their van but couldn't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Can't comment on the dogs or the people that go with them. But lots of fly tipping at fields joining our yard and little things going missing lately. Things like straps disappeared off bale trailer over night, pins toplinks and diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-urged-to-attend-tb-meeting-in-co-cavan-tonight/
    was anybody at that meeting last night?
    the article was published at 5pm for a meeting that was starting at 8 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ganmo wrote: »
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-confront-meat-industry-with-86-point-draft-beef-plan/
    was anybody at that meeting last night?
    the article was published at 5pm for a meeting that was starting at 8 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Meeting was on monday night

wrangler wrote: »
    Meeting was on monday night

dammit i meant to link to this
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-urged-to-attend-tb-meeting-in-co-cavan-tonight/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

What kind of problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

alps wrote: »
    What kind of problems?

Trespass and all associated with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Only one way to cure them lads visiting with lurchers.chain and lock the road gate and if you then happen to see the lurcher on your land and it’s a safe shot turn him upside down with the rifle.
    No excuses to be on the land full stop.

Trespass and all associated with it
    A friend and neighbour was attacked by men with lurchers when he confronted them earlier this month.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/spineless-thugs-kicked-me-in-the-head-until-i-was-unconscious-dadofthree-brutally-attacked-by-gang-37303733.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Using drones as well to see what is in a yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Anyone know who d mapping company are dealing with basic payments can’t get anyone in dep Agri to tell me why my anc payment not going tru they just saying the map company are looking at it n haven’t cleared it yet should I get IFA on to them? Maps the very same for last 4 years no changes so can’t understand the problem

marathon wrote: »
    Anyone know who d mapping company are dealing with basic payments can’t get anyone in dep Agri to tell me why my anc payment not going tru they just saying the map company are looking at it n haven’t cleared it yet should I get IFA on to them? Maps the very same for last 4 years no changes so can’t understand the problem

i doubt the map company would talk to you even if you did find them.

be no harm to talk to the IFA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

i doubt the map company would talk to you even if you did find them.

be no harm to talk to the IFA
    Yea rang ifa they looking into it just don’t get why delay dis year same maps n application for last 4 years

marathon wrote: »
    Yea rang ifa they looking into it just don’t get why delay dis year same maps n application for last 4 years

it could be more shade from trees due to the time of day or something like that

it could be more shade from trees due to the time of day or something like that

I had no chance to do any hedge cutting in spring the last few years so I have a lad booked for the start of next week. Pity about destroying the berries but I'm fed up going around with the slasher these last few years.
    Edit: they grow out fairly quickly them briars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Family @ €70
    Single @ €50

Kids in daughter's school that do Home Economics have to buy a white coat and pay €30 for ingredients - only thing is they never actually do any cooking. She knew the story as her older sister went to the same school so she didn't do Home Ec, but a lot of her mateys are disappointed as they were looking forward to cooking etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

KatyMac wrote: »
    Kids in daughter's school that do Home Economics have to buy a white coat and pay €30 for ingredients - only thing is they never actually do any cooking. She knew the story as her older sister went to the same school so she didn't do Home Ec, but a lot of her mateys are disappointed as they were looking forward to cooking etc.

Why don't they cook?! Has the structure changed so cooking isn't a part of the exam?
    Burning the bejasus out of something and making a hames of it is an initation :D

Why don't they cook?! Has the structure changed so cooking isn't a part of the exam?
    Burning the bejasus out of something and making a hames of it is an initation :D
    Daughter cooks here in home ec, they have to bring in their own ingredients, there's only 8 in her class

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter cooks here in home ec, they have to bring in their own ingredients, there's only 8 in her class

That's the way I did it too, so not cooking surprised me. Every second week we paired up, decided what we were cooking from a list of options, then split the cost of ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

KatyMac wrote: »

Ours get a list of ingredients to bring for next class.
    She really enjoyed the cooking and baking.

Delighted to get an A in her junior cert.

Being a home economic teacher is one thing on her shortlist

That's the way I did it too, so not cooking surprised me. Every second week we paired up, decided what we were cooking from a list of options, then split the cost of ingredients.
    Daughter is in 3rd year now, they havent cooked yet this year as they are finishing a practical for the junior cert, daughter made a paddington cushion. They will be back cooking in a few weeks as they have to practice for their practicals. They now have to make healthy things, so stir fries etc have been made

• Advertisement

Daughter is in 3rd year now, they havent cooked yet this year as they are finishing a practical for the junior cert, daughter made a paddington cushion. They will be back cooking in a few weeks as they have to practice for their practicals. They now have to make healthy things, so stir fries etc have been made

She's well ahead if she has the practical finished :eek:
    I did a felt & decorative stitch nursery picture, simple little thing. And apple tart for my practical!

I would be mentioning it at the parent teacher meeting if they are not cooking. That said when I went into the parent teacher meeting last year the teacher didnt know who my daughter was, she only has 8 in that class :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

_Brian wrote: »
    Ours get a list of ingredients to bring for next class.
    She really enjoyed the cooking and baking.

Delighted to get an A in her junior cert.

Being a home economic teacher is one thing on her shortlist

Huge shortage of home ecc teachers apparently so keep it on her list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Just after treating a ewe with grass tetany there lads so be on the lookout. I was surprised myself.

Just paid school fees on line.
    Got charged €3.44 for paying it that way.
    Next year I will go into school and pay at school office and make it awkward for them.
    Still a lot of grass down to be baled around me. Weather dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just paid school fees on line.
    Got charged €3.44 for paying it that way.
    Next year I will go into school and pay at school office and make it awkward for them.

In euro coins!

We had three things to pay.
    Photocopying,insurance and contribution.
    Will pay each one separate at office in coins!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Only one way to cure them lads visiting with lurchers.chain and lock the road gate and if you then happen to see the lurcher on your land and it’s a safe shot turn him upside down with the rifle.
    No excuses to be on the land full stop.

Had them a few weeks back. Drove cattle mad. Knocked walls and tore the puddins out of a few hares. Was talking to a neighbour originally from south east of country and a neighbour back home had same problem. Brought out the shot-gun and let off two cartridges over them. His hay shed was burnt down that night....i wonder by who. Fcukers think they are above the law.

We had three things to pay.
    Photocopying,insurance and contribution.
    Will pay each one separate at office in coins!!!!!

We sent in money to the school to pay for the daily delivery of little milk cartons.
    Couple of days later get a text saying thst due to too few children going for the milk scheme, it was cancelled, but they would keep the money and put it towards the annual expenses "voluntary contribution".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    We sent in money to the school to pay for the daily delivery of little milk cartons.
    Couple of days later get a text saying thst due to too few children going for the milk scheme, it was cancelled, but they would keep the money and put it towards the annual expenses "voluntary contribution".

That was very cheeky of them! Hate that kind of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

That would boil yer pi$$ , will you have words and get it back or let it off?

Well they sent the annual Insurance forms home in the schoolbags in a couple of days, and a note saying that people who had paid for the milk can just fill the form and therefore the insurance will be paid up and the balance set sgainst the "contribution".
    We were given the choice of a refund, as the contribution amount isn't finalised yet.

Rsng the secretary and give permission to go ahead.

In our school the home ec kitchen was located under the science lab. Every Tuesday and Thursday we both had double classes and the home ec class would bake/cook at least once a week.

I will never forget the mouth watering smell of maderia buns, stews, etc drifting up into the lab whilst I was pinning a worm to a piece of cardboard/checking mycelium etc :)

In our school the home ec kitchen was located under the science lab. Every Tuesday and Thursday we both had double classes and the home ec class would bake/cook at least once a week.

I will never forget the mouth watering smell of maderia buns, stews, etc drifting up into the lab whilst I was pinning a worm to a piece of cardboard/checking mycelium etc :)

Daughter is doing science and home economics. We could only do one or the other.

Had them a few weeks back. Drove cattle mad. Knocked walls and tore the puddins out of a few hares. Was talking to a neighbour originally from south east of country and a neighbour back home had same problem. Brought out the shot-gun and let off two cartridges over them. His hay shed was burnt down that night....i wonder by who. Fcukers think they are above the law.
    TBH they appear to be.
    A guy OH knows had a Ifor Williams livestock trailer with a quad bike, strimmer, hedge trimmer and other small tools in it robbed from his yard. The trailer was put up for sale on DD a few days later with the same ad showing different locations around the country. The guy knew it was his trailer cause it had a few marks, bumps, three of the vent flaps were missing and the bar on the rhs of the ramp that holds the spring was broken. He contacted the Garda and they said that there was nothing they could do.
    So yeah, they are above the law and that is how they operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

TBH they appear to be.
    A guy OH knows had a Ifor Williams livestock trailer with a quad bike, strimmer, hedge trimmer and other small tools in it robbed from his yard. The trailer was put up for sale on DD a few days later with the same ad showing different locations around the country. The guy knew it was his trailer cause it had a few marks, bumps, three of the vent flaps were missing and the bar on the rhs of the ramp that holds the spring was broken. He contacted the Garda and they said that there was nothing they could do.

Had the same happen here 7 yrs ago. Stumbled across the trailer a few yrs later. Rang the guards and told them, they said it was between me and them. Told the guard no bother as I had the shot gun in the jeep. Guards on site in 10 minutes even though the shot gun was at home.
    Told your man to give me the trailer.

TBH they appear to be.

About 2 years ago I got a text alert about a stolen trailer. Was sitting in Cavan town waiting on the girls, and just as the text came in, what drives by but exactly the same trailer ( light blue, builders 4 wheel) behind a Skoda Octavia driven by a very well known "character".
    Rang the station that issued the text.
    Asked if stolen trailer had a distinctive type of LED lights.
    They didnt know, the Guard that was investigating wasn't there.
    We went out to Lidl to get some stuff, and there was the trailer and car.
    Took a few photos with the phone.
    The Guard that was investigating then rang me.
    Told him the story, but he hadnt got much of a description of the trailer.
    I said "xxxx is driving the car, its sitting at Lidl"

Guard says "Oh, xxxx, we know him well, but theres no point in looking at that trailer, the stolen one will be across the border long ago"
    WTF was the point of the Text Alert???

Xxxx has convictions for robbery, drugs offences and firearms offences.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Had the same happen here 7 yrs ago. Stumbled across the trailer a few yrs later. Rang the guards and told them, they said it was between me and them. Told the guard no bother as I had the shot gun in the jeep. Guards on site in 10 minutes even though the shot gun was at home.
    Told your man to give me the trailer.
    Really :confused:

I don't doubt your story but it didn't fare well in this case.
    Long story short - OH's friend contacted the seller and they wanted €3k cash for the trailer and quad. There was no mention of the strimmers, hedge trimmer or the other tools. We presumed they were sold at bring & buy sales around the Country.

Anyway he arranged to meet up with the seller on a particular date to try to agree a price. He informed the local Garda station about the arrangement and within hours he got a visit from the local Sergeant.
    The posse was stood down and that same cohort continue to be above the law :mad:.
    Although CAB is doing great work in recent years but only when drug dealing is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

About 2 years ago I got a text alert about a stolen trailer. Was sitting in Cavan town waiting on the girls, and just as the text came in, what drives by but exactly the same trailer ( light blue, builders 4 wheel) behind a Skoda Octavia driven by a very well known "character".
    Rang the station that issued the text.
    Asked if stolen trailer had a distinctive type of LED lights.
    They didnt know, the Guard that was investigating wasn't there.
    We went out to Lidl to get some stuff, and there was the trailer and car.
    Took a few photos with the phone.
    The Guard that was investigating then rang me.
    Told him the story, but he hadnt got much of a description of the trailer.
    I said "xxxx is driving the car, its sitting at Lidl"

Guard says "Oh, xxxx, we know him well, but theres no point in looking at that trailer, the stolen one will be across the border long ago"
    WTF was the point of the Text Alert???

Xxxx has convictions for robbery, drugs offences and firearms offences.

What do i say about our public service.... public disservice
    see that guards, teachers etc are being considered for subsidised childcare, like wtf

I know of an incident where a farmer blocked a shopping center car park because he saw a trailer he recognized behind a wrong car. It’s sad that it’s actions like that are needed to get the gardai to act

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement