Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter is doing science and home economics. We could only do one or the other.
    Yep that is the way it was in those days. TBH in my school Home Economics as a Science subject was considered lesser than Biology, Chemistry or Physics. Hopefully those type of stereotypes are confined to the past but I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Preparing for the winter at 7.00 this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Just in retrieving two cows from neighbour's lawn - sigh! Apparently a stray bullock wandered in through their open gate onto the lawn and attracted the attention of my cows. When I appeared of course my cows knew they were in the wrong and headed for home ploughing through the fence, bringing a couple more posts and 3 strands of wire with them, plus the stray bullock! Yet another neighbour arrived couple of minutes later looking for the boyo. We've left them to settle for the night and will have fun dividing them up tomorrow - and nobody mention the fence, please!!! Sometimes I hate cattle:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'm new to all this college stuff but when the kids turn up for lectures and the lecturer doesnt even bother to let them know they are not going to turn up its a total piss take. Alot of them could be working or at other stuff, a simple email to let them know . Is this the way normal colleges go on?

I'm new to all this college stuff but when the kids turn up for lectures and the lecturer doesnt even bother to let them know they are not going to turn up its a total piss take. Alot of them could be working or at other stuff, a simple email to let them know . Is this the way normal colleges go on?

Depends on the Lecturer, but yes that is the way some of them carry on. My daughter is in her 4th year and still gives out about that sort of thing happening.

KatyMac wrote: »
    Depends on the Lecturer, but yes that is the way some of them carry on. My daughter is in her 4th year and still gives out about that sort of thing happening.
    Bus fares etc , time waiting around. Very annoying

You're singing to the choir, sister!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Bus fares etc , time waiting around. Very annoying

A guy I knew drove up to Dublin from Tipp to a lecture to a subject he was repeating, lecturer didn’t turn up, student emails lecturer saying I spent x on fuel and wasted a day because you didn’t turn up...response was along the line of well you wouldn’t have to if you passed the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I hear where you are coming from but it works the other way too. Well it did in my day anyways! Tutorials and practicals had a mandatory number you had to attend, but not lectures. I'd be lying through my teeth if l said l went to every lecture l was timetabled for and over the 3 or 4 years your son/daughter will spend in college, l doubt they will either!!

Besides, it's good learning for life. People will sometimes let you down. What ya gona do? After 10-15min it's obvious they aren't coming so go head to the library and study or catch up on project work in workshop (if applicable) or go to the gym or God forbid.... the pub!

College is as much about being lumped in a situation and making up your own mind what to do as the following of a strict inflexible timetable. That's the stuff of secondary schools not learning institutes for young adults!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Is this her first yr in college we used to be delighted when they didn’t turn up.
    Off to the pub where a pint could last an hour or back to the lads house beside the colllege for the day.
    I am more surprised that she told you that will def change

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Is this her first yr in college we used to be delighted when they didn’t turn up.
    Off to the pub where a pint could last an hour or back to the lads house beside the colllege for the day.
    I am more surprised that she told you that will def change

It's a he, he doesnt drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's a he, he doesnt drink.

Four years in college will give him plenty of time to learn.

Slava Ukrainii

Went to check my dry cows this morning and got stuck. Wasn't expecting it as ground is bone dry. Turns out there's a mains water leak running into my field. Got on to irish water and a lad rang me about 20 minutes later. Nice bit of overtime for them on a Saturday. You'd think they'd notice more water being used, I'd say it's leaking a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

ganmo wrote: »
    A guy I knew drove up to Dublin from Tipp to a lecture to a subject he was repeating, lecturer didn’t turn up, student emails lecturer saying I spent x on fuel and wasted a day because you didn’t turn up...response was along the line of well you wouldn’t have to if you passed the first time.

Happened me a few years ago. Went to Waterford to attend a lab practical which is mandatory and the lecturer never showed up. Emailed her and the course leader. She didn’t forget the next practical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Four years in college will give him plenty of time to learn.

Best degree I ever got at least I use it. Could never drink like that now I’d be sick for days after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

naughto wrote: »
    Best degree I ever got at least I use it. Could never drink like that now I’d be sick for days after

I know a few who must be doing a masters in it. They worked so hard at it they failed their other exams :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »

Makes complete sense. :o

Rent a building for 12m every year to sell off your old owned building for redevelopment probably for maybe one years rent.
    The moral of the story is that the public service have more faith in the private sector to upkeep a building than they do in the public service (government).

5:30, need to get up at 7, hour and a half sleep so far, Sunday is going to seem a very long day indeed, possibly longer for those listening to me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

5:30, need to get up at 7, hour and a half sleep so far, Sunday is going to seem a very long day indeed, possibly longer for those listening to me :(

Up for work myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Can you not sleep or did only go to bed at 4? If the later then I've no sympathy for you! Not being able to sleep is some pain in t he arse when you know your up early the following morning.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Can you not sleep or did only go to bed at 4? If the later then I've no sympathy for you! Not being able to sleep is some pain in t he arse when you know your up early the following morning.

Brian suffers from insomnia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Brian suffers from insomnia

Now that is a pain in the arse. Not being able to sleep one or 2 nights is bad enough but I'd say the accumalated lack of sleep over time must be horrendous. Id be like something out of tbe walking dead if it was me.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Now that is a pain in the arse. Not being able to sleep one or 2 nights is bad enough but I'd say the accumalated lack of sleep over time must be horrendous. Id be like something out of tbe walking dead if it was me.

Pain on the hole ok.
    It goes in cycles, this week it’s bad,
    When it’s bad like this I swear I’m going to the gp for sleepers, then it breaks and I don’t bother.

Youngest lad sleep walks here. 3 nights this week he has legged it out of his room heading down the stairs. 2 of the nights he was shouting football stuff. Normally does it between 12.30am and 2am. He remembers nothing of it the next day. We have a stair gate back on the stairs. It's like having a baby in the house again. At least after 2am I can go back asleep until alarm goes off at 5.30am.

• Advertisement

Youngest lad sleep walks here. 3 nights this week he has legged it out of his room heading down the stairs. 2 of the nights he was shouting football stuff. Normally does it between 12.30am and 2am. He remembers nothing of it the next day. We have a stair gate back on the stairs. It's like having a baby in the house again. At least after 2am I can go back asleep until alarm goes off at 5.30am.

That must be odd, ours chat away in their sleep a bit, but never sleep walk. My sister used to swear like a drunken sailor in her sleep, I think she was just verbalising how she felt about us.

That must be odd, ours chat away in their sleep a bit, but never sleep walk. My sister used to swear like a drunken sailor in her sleep, I think she was just verbalising how she felt about us.

Its funny, I'd be talking to him just like I'd normally be talking to him. Another side to it if he's having any hassle at school I hear it from him in his sleep. Had to go to the school twice about a lad that was annoying him and only found out from stuff he was shouting about him in his sleep. He'll have no secrets from me...

Think I’ll get up and make pancakes !
    A good feed, I can get herself to drive and I might catch an hour kip in the car.

Think I’ll get up and make pancakes !
    A good feed, I can get herself to drive and I might catch an hour kip in the car.

I'll be over shortly

I'll be over shortly

Ya best hurry
    https://ibb.co/muULRz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

folks have a heifer that threw her calf there well before her time , she is sick enough and the vet has seen her a few times and took bloods etc, anyway i got notification from dept that she needs another blood test in a couple of weeks again which i think is standard..
    anyway what im wondering is if I need to register the abortion as a calf or can I leave well enough alone, I dont have anything to tag

I used to do that when I was a child - mother said I'd arrive to the kitchen where the parents were watching telly, have a great chat with them and then head back to bed with no memory in the morning.
    Now-a-days I have great conversations with OH that I have no memory of. He tells me that I make more sense asleep than awake - not sure if I'm insulted or not:D

I'm awful stupid but no matter how many YouTube videos I've watched I cannot figure out how to get a Hayes Wire Strainer to release. I've been using it for years tying one end to a tree or post and tightening the wire that way, but I was working on a couple of wires that are loose so attached the strainer in the middle of the fence - it worked grand and tightened the wire but I wasn't able to get it to come off the wire, ended up having to cut the wire which sorta defeated the object of the exercise. Obviously it must be simple to do as the videos don't focus in on the moment of release but aaagh!

I'm awful stupid but no matter how many YouTube videos I've watched I cannot figure out how to get a Hayes Wire Strainer to release. I've been using it for years tying one end to a tree or post and tightening the wire that way, but I was working on a couple of wires that are loose so attached the strainer in the middle of the fence - it worked grand and tightened the wire but I wasn't able to get it to come off the wire, ended up having to cut the wire which sorta defeated the object of the exercise. Obviously it must be simple to do as the videos don't focus in on the moment of release but aaagh!
    After you tighten the wire and it's secured then just work it in reverse. Move the claws backwards in the chain

After you tighten the wire and it's secured then just work it in reverse. Move the claws backwards in the chain

Would I be tightening it too much? I can't get it to go into reverse there is no give in the chain at all!

Anyone see the ISS going over there ??

Was a lovely night for it, good and clear and it was very clearly visible for 6-7 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Would I be tightening it too much? I can't get it to go into reverse there is no give in the chain at all!

(Rough) short cut hit the clamp on the end of the chain a smack of the hammer will open and be able to take it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone see the ISS going over there ??

Was a lovely night for it, good and clear and it was very clearly visible for 6-7 minutes.

Did you have binoculars?

It's some sight if you use binoculars. You can clearly see the solar panels jutting out If you do.

Did you have binoculars?

It's some sight if you use binoculars. You can clearly see the solar panels jutting out If you do.

Wow, next time !!

I saw this article on weanling prices and finishing costs.

Is that a misprint, or are they seriously suggesting lads aim for €20/hd profit

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/what-prices-will-2018-born-weanlings-need-to-make-to-ensure-profit-at-slaughter/

• Advertisement

I saw this article on weanling prices and finishing costs.

Is that a misprint, or are they seriously suggesting lads aim for €20/hd profit

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/what-prices-will-2018-born-weanlings-need-to-make-to-ensure-profit-at-slaughter/

Not really but it show the stupidity of winter finishing and suckler bred cattle.. In there article these cattle eat about 0.75 T of ration . There total winter feed bill is 474 euro for two winters. They give figures of 708, 738 and 768 for the same weanling bull/bullock at 300kgs and what effect this has on final price requires to break even( which is all a 20 euro margin is) and you should be able to deduce from that if it makes scense to buy suckler bred male cattle for finishing at 22 months and if these factory's prices are attainable to achieve break even. If you look at the economics of heifers it is totally different with heifers achieveing a break even price of 3.63-3.83 depending on price paid. A heifer killing 340kgs in the mid range cost achieveing a real finishing price of 4.28 (base 4.1, 12c QA and 6c R+ grid payment) would leave a margin of 180 euro above costs.

The question is how real are there prices, costs and weigh gain. They seem to be giving the heifers the same weigh gain as the bullocks over a shorter period. On the other hand the bullocks would be finish when prices bottom out in March where as heifers would be slaughtered pre/post christmass. They have allowed fixed costs which may be high unless you operate a lot of equipment.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Got a bit of a shock this morning when a solicitor rang me. The first thing that went through my head was what kind of trouble am i in now, and hoe much will it cost me!

But i have 11 acres 9 miles of rough road away from me, and a dairy farmer with land beside me has suggested a land swap. He has an out farm near to me, i actually share about 15 meters of a boundary ditch.

If i was to consider the land swap, how much does it cost. If we decided that no money changes hands, just acre for acre. Solicitors, is there stamp duty? Any thing else?

Got a bit of a shock this morning when a solicitor rang me. The first thing that went through my head was what kind of trouble am i in now, and hoe much will it cost me!

But i have 11 acres 9 miles of rough away from me, and a dairy farm with land beside me has suggested a land swap. He has an out farm near to me, i actually share about 15 meters of a boundary ditch.

If i was to consider the land swap, how much dies it cost. If we decided that no money changes hands, just acre for acre. Solicitors, is there stamp duty? Any thing else?

Solicitors cost will be the biggest cost

Slava Ukrainii

With the slurry spreading deadline extended to the 31st of October, will this mean that rather than bring allowed spread again on 15th of January that this will be extended by 2 weeks too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

With the slurry spreading deadline extended to the 31st of October, will this mean that rather than bring allowed spread again on 15th of January that this will be extended by 2 weeks too

It would doubt it, that would be penalizing those who met the usual deadline.

I have mine out weeks ago (first time ever, but I needed every bit to help the grass grow!). Just getting FYM out now it will be the first time getting it finished long before the normal 31st of October date.

It's funny, after really struggling all year I've actually passed my normal end of Summer workload out by nearly 4 weeks. Might actually get some much needed tidying up done around the place now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

emaherx wrote: »
    It would doubt it, that would be penalizing those who met the usual deadline.

I have mine out weeks ago (first time ever, but I needed every bit to help the grass grow!). Just getting FYM out now it will be the first time getting it finished long before the normal 31st of October date.

It's funny, after really struggling all year I've actually passed my normal end of Summer workload out by nearly 4 weeks. Might actually get some much needed tidying up done around the place now.

Treat the Landy to a service. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Treat the Landy to a service. :)

What?????, You can service them too!

greysides wrote: »
    There was me counting up the scores, thinking we'd joint winners this month, until I came to Emaherx's post..... Congratulations Emaherx!

Someone please wield the ban hammer and give the rest of us a chance!

;)

Yeay........ Can't wait to get all my prizes ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about prospecting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement