Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about prospecting?
    As in mineral deposits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anyone know anything about prospecting?

Gold rush is the height of my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    Gold rush is the height of my experience

It does look a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

theres a prospecting licence after been applied for covering our townland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

theres a prospecting licence after been applied for covering our townland

Apparently mineral extraction is getting more efficient so they're back prospecting again around the country.
    Places that were deemed unviable before may now be viable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Watch yourselves folks!!

Those Cork phone scammers are doing the rounds this evening.
    I just got a call from an 024 number.
    It gave two rings and hung up.

Probably looking to sell black puddings if I ring back.

You're warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Prime Time tonight are going to "investigate" the cancer causing (?) properties of Roundup.
    I've lost all faith in this programe to actually investigate anything, as most of their productions are tabloid quality "sound bites", low on facts but high on sensationalism.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Prime Time tonight are going to "investigate" the cancer causing (?) properties of Roundup.
    I've lost all faith in this programe to actually investigate anything, as most of their productions are tabloid quality "sound bites"?, low on facts but high on sensationalism.

Really its just going to be a rehash of whatever is already done to death.. They will just put an irish spin "what about mary in the shop" or "how will GAA ever manage" on the whole thing..

I've lost all faith in this programe to actually investigate anything, as most of their productions are tabloid quality "sound bites"?, low on facts but high on sensationalism.

Be watching it for the other issue it's covering

There was a discussion on 'The Hard Shoulder' on Newstalk there lately with Ivan and Dr. Ciara Augustenborg.
    Just Google, glyphosate and Newstalk and Down to Earth for a podcast.

She was visiting a cover crop farm with Darragh mc cullagh as part of a bit for Ear to the Ground the day before the talk with Ivan.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Really its just going to be a rehash of whatever is already done to death.. They will just put an irish spin "what about mary in the shop" or "how will GAA ever manage" on the whole thing..

The thing I wouldn't agree with is Round Up being sold like window cleaner in squeezy bottles to the domestic household especially with all the regulations on the farming side.
    It's almost as if they're looking for some accident/lawsuit to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The thing I wouldn't agree with is Round Up being sold like window cleaner in squeezy bottles to the domestic household especially with all the regulations on the farming side.
    It's almost as if they're looking for some accident/lawsuit to happen.
    Is that not just a very watered down version though?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is that not just a very watered down version though?

I bet there's gobsh1tes nearly drinking the stuff though.

Especially when you consider the nearest an average farmer gets to it is 3ft away at the end of a lance.

There's no spraying course required to buy it in the garden centre either so..
    It just seemed very reckless by Monsanto to do such a thing in those bottles.

Be watching it for the other issue it's covering

They closed Cavan, Monaghan, Longford and Mullingar barracks ( in my area) and lads I know with houses bought locally niw find themselves commuting to Athlone.
    Built brand new in 1992 it was closed in 2011 and sold to the VEC for 1.25 million, about 10% of its cost.
    Now if Brexit comes in with a hard border, where will Army personel be based?

They closed Cavan, Monaghan, Longford and Mullingar barracks ( in my area) and lads I know with houses bought locally niw find themselves commuting to Athlone.
    Built brand new in 1992 it was closed in 2011 and sold to the VEC for 1.25 million, about 10% of its cost.
    Now if Brexit comes in with a hard border, where will Army personel be based?

Serious talk of Cavan and lifford coming back on line

Serious talk of Cavan and lifford coming back on line

Knowing this great little country, the VEC will lease/sell Dun O'Neill back to the DF for about 5 million....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thought ticks would be fcuked off back to hell at this time of year. Just found one on my side, big fecking lump so must have picked it up yesterday.
    Both ticks & wasps, literally cannot see any reason why they exist! :mad:

Thought ticks would be fcuked off back to hell at this time of year. Just found one on my side, big fecking lump so must have picked it up yesterday.

You'd be a handy yoke to have to run around with a few cattle.

You'd be a handy yoke to have to run around with a few cattle.

Wouldn't I just! All the cider & Chinese food I can eat and I'm yours for 2019 :p

Wouldn't I just! All the cider & Chinese food I can eat and I'm yours for 2019 :p

I like your thinking.
    Attract the feckers.
    Then light a match and ...

Oh wait now there's no ticks in Wexford.
    Darn it anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Thought ticks would be fcuked off back to hell at this time of year. Just found one on my side, big fecking lump so must have picked it up yesterday. Both ticks & wasps, literally cannot see any reason why they exist!

Keep an eye out for lime disease. A bullseye ring around the bit site.

Nasty dose and no cider is not a cure

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for lime disease. A bullseye ring around the bit site.

Nasty dose and no cider is not a cure

I'd be more worried for the tick than haywire

Was talking to a woman the other day she said she was driving her car and a wasp stung her on the belly! She said she didn't know wtf it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I was watching Tv last Christmas and a wasp flew down and stung me. I didn't even see him. I'd honestly forgotten how painful it was. He didn't come out well off it either....we have beehives in a field as well and did got chased out of the tractor last week. He had to abandon the tractor and run down the hill.i collected it that evening-they are evil!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Quick question-
    My mother got some Money from electricity poles. (€24000)

Is there any way for her to avoid capital gains tax?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

Quick question-

Thanks in advance

I got a smaller payment €6000 and had to pay income tax on It! I checked with my accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Quick question-

Thanks in advance

I think there is a tax relief for fulltime businesspeople over 60 who sell all or part of there land/business up to a value 200k to fund a pension. When it is in the pension she can draw down it as a lump sum. I think it may not even have to go into a pension fund. Check with your tax advisor. See below
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/cgt-reliefs-disposal-of-a-business-or-farm.aspx

Slava Ukrainii

Quick question-

Thanks in advance
    You could split it over 2 years?

I'd be more worried for the tick than haywire

Rightly so, he went pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think there is a tax relief for fulltime businesspeople over 60 who sell all or part of there land/business up to a value 200k to fund a pension. When it is in the pension she can draw down it as a lump sum. I think it may not even have to go into a pension fund. Check with your tax advisor. See below
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/cgt-reliefs-disposal-of-a-business-or-farm.aspx

farmers can sell assets up to 500000 free of capital gains tax if your over 55.I don't know whether providing land for ESB is regarded as selling an asset

We literally haven’t had tics here since late 70’s, ye seem to have plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

My place is full of them aswell. Causes big problems buying in cattle from outside the area with redwater.

Dry hill here surrounded by marshier ground at the bottom, so could be part of it, have succor up here :pac: Though the outfarm is the worst, there's a blind lake there with marshy, rush/scrub covered ground and they thrive around it. Worst place this year for it was the potatos, stalks were lethal for tiny little ones.
    My place is full of them aswell. Causes big problems buying in cattle from outside the area with redwater.

One reason we buy in very little too. Have to remember which cattle were grazed where & use Bayticol on new ground for them. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Kollegeknight, the ESB payment can almost tax free. It can be shown that the poles actually devalue the property. A good accountant will have her paying a few hundred.
    I'll be waiting on my commission!!!

Water John wrote: »
    Kollegeknight, the ESB payment can almost tax free. It can be shown that the poles actually devalue the property. A good accountant will have her paying a few hundred.
    I'll be waiting on my commission!!!

Thanks John,
    I’ll get onto my accountant.
    Will a blank Chequers do?

• Advertisement

The land isn’t sold, so it’s not covered in that.

Tax advisor at moment reckons full cgt of 33%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you read the revenue it mentions disposal or partial disposal. It is not just land it also includes stock and machinery as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Does this cover it? See 6.1 a (iv) page 2
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-19/19-01-06.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Quick question-

Thanks in advance

is that for new pole compensation or rental?

Base price wrote: »

Thanks for that.
    So what does that mean? I really don’t understand any legal speak

• Advertisement

is that for new pole compensation or rental?

New pole compensation

Land asset devalued by poles on the land. If accountant not up to it, get another one. Some poor accountant/financial advisors out there. Don't see outside the box.
    I did not use the option myself, it didn't suit my circumstances but saved my neighbour close on €20K.

I presume it's submitted to revenue as compensation for devaluing the asset, not the realisation of asset value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Most interesting thing for me on Prime Time's glyphosate programme was one interviewee saying it was illegal to use it for drying crops in the couple of days before harvest, and the other responding that Teagasc instruct farmers to do so! It was just kind of… left lying there.

Land asset devalued by poles on the land. If accountant not up to it, get another one. Some poor accountant/financial advisors out there. Don't see outside the box.
    I did not use the option myself, it didn't suit my circumstances but saved my neighbour close on €20K.

I presume it's submitted to revenue as compensation for devaluing the asset, not the realisation of asset value.

They paid 11k for the land in the 90s so place is still worth 25k now.

Who is giving you the asset value?
    Like the other poster above, for my own reasons, I went with declaring it as income. That would be at 20% for her, I presume.

Who is giving you the asset value?
    Like the other poster above, for my own reasons, I went with declaring it as income. That would be at 20% for her, I presume.

Local Wind farm have given her the money.

Sorry I'm not fully understanding the issue. Your parents bought this land in the 90s and your mother still owns it?
    A third party accessed the land and put a line across it and compensated your mother for the facility/convenience?

Sorry I'm not fully understanding the issue. Your parents bought this land in the 90s and your mother still owns it?
    A third party accessed the land and put a line across it and compensated your mother for the facility/convenience?

Exactly, and our accountant is saying that is capital gains so will be taxed at 33%
    as she still owns the land and the value would have increases slightly since buying, she cannot offset any of the €24k against it.

I am totally at a loss about tax and my brother, who is an accountant is taking advice off another accountant and that is what they have come up with so far.

I am not an accountant either just tossing out my experience of the same issue.
    Don't understand how the value of the land bought for €11K some 25 years ago is now only valued at €25K.

I dealt with it as income, he dealt with it as an asset value depreciation. Now I haven't the details on that but his land would have been his whole farm worth over €1M fairly recently given to him.

My question to the accountants is, what asset was sold or disposed of to trigger CGT? My opinion is, at worst its income.

If I learn more tomorrow I'll let you know, no promise on that, just might ask someone I happen to be meeting.

Someone couldn't wait for advent

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement