Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Someone couldn't wait for advent

It was mice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Someone couldn't wait for advent

Move away from that fairly lively.

You could be ending up on After Hours with the words chocolate cctv Tesco and court case in the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Did the beef protest yesterday get much of a turnout ?

I didn’t hear any mention on the radio news, was it covered much on the 9 news on RT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

About 300, I'm told. More TV coverage to the "housing march" a few hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is the DNA / Genomics testing for ICBF just to prove parentage is correct?
    And ratings are given based upon them.

It doesn’t confirm actual trait values?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Is the DNA / Genomics testing for ICBF just to prove parentage is correct?
    And ratings are given based upon them.

It doesn’t confirm actual trait values?

Apparently it does. So twin heifer calves off a great 5star cow could come back different after genotyping. Because 1 may have more of the desirable maternal traits then the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Clear herd test thankfully. Always get worried when any show lumps :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I'm the same I'd have myself convinced I'm on the way down. Always try to remember the top lump is grand. Up for heaven down for hell.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I'm the same I'd have myself convinced I'm on the way down. Always try to remember the top lump is grand. Up for heaven down for hell.

Had one with lumps on both, hence me stressing. Vet marked her number too, will be chop for her if she shows anything next year :pac:
    Got a heifer dipped that I was waiting to come into heat for the last 2 months, surprise surprise, she's 3 months incalf. Never seen her leave or a bull come in so it's one of three contenders unless she had a very fun filled, action packed night!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Had one with lumps on both, hence me stressing. Vet marked her number too, will be chop for her if she shows anything next year :pac:
    Got a heifer dipped that I was waiting to come into heat for the last 2 months, surprise surprise, she's 3 months incalf. Never seen her leave or a bull come in so it's one of three contenders unless she had a very fun filled, action packed night!

No harm to dream I suppose.:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    No harm to dream I suppose.:eek:

I'm assuming she did cause it nearly had to be her sneaked away, mains fences both sides but one could be a tad high & she could go under.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Good few of our younger cows didn't go in calf during the drought. We scanned a bit earlier than usual as fodder is tight. Might scan just the empties again as we had a decent ch weanling running with them for a week or so.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭148multi

Did she pop in to carrick any night.

148multi wrote: »
    Did she pop in to carrick any night.

She might have!! Was fairly sure she was incalf, just needed confirmation as she put up a bit of frame in the last month or so, got quieter too.
    CH or LM in her now anyway, & me looking at nice easy calving lims for her. Harlot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a programme about Lyme disease on RTE tonight.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/lifestyle/rt-set-to-broadcast-living-with-lyme-disease-by-kerry-filmmakers-37354822.html

There was a neighbour of mine diagnosed with lyme disease way back when.
    He was in hospital for months till a junior doctor who did a stint in the States recognized what it was.
    Anyways it's on tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dont look for lumps. You'll only be worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

How much per hour generally for hedge cutting have good bit get done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

marathon wrote: »
    How much per hour generally for hedge cutting have good bit get done?

I'm paying €40 including VAT. Good operator and does a lot in an hour.

Grueller wrote: »
    I'm paying €40 including VAT. Good operator and does a lot in an hour.

Payed a lad 45 cash an hour dis evening thought it bit pricey but maybe I wrong no vat in dat

Payed a lad 45 cash an hour dis evening thought it bit pricey but maybe I wrong no vat in dat

Flail or saw

• Advertisement

Dont look for lumps. You'll only be worrying

I know but it's hard to miss them on my big blonde, no hair on her to hide them :pac:
    Wasn't even at home today to worry over them as much as I normally would so was checking the phone every five mins to see if Dad had texted!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

€50/hour inc Vat through the books here

Reggie. wrote: »
    Flail or saw

Flail

Flail

I think claim around here is €40 to €45 and saw is €50

Not to bad so cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

TG4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm giving €50 +vat here for flail but he has a flailhead with two flails in it and absolutely flies along,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    I'm giving €50 +vat here for flail but he has a flailhead with two flails in it and absolutely flies along,

Thats the crux of the issue. One lad will be dear at €35 while the next might be cheap at €55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If the fella wants cash in hand, it's always dear as for you it comes from your after tax income, madness.
    All quotes should be incl of VAT, if relevant, AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Heard a strange one today. There is a house locally that was built maybe ten years ago, not fully finished. Roof on Windows in but no door fitted. They started working on it again recently and had a visit from the npws saying they would need a licence to seal up the house because there had been bats inside. Do they have that much authority to snoop around in an on going building site like that? I know what id have been telling them but maybe I'd have been wrong. Getting ridiculous on SAC ground around here now. Can't put in a water trough or hang a gate without their permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Heard a strange one today. There is a house locally that was built maybe ten years ago, not fully finished. Roof on Windows in but no door fitted. They started working on it again recently and had a visit from the npws saying they would need a licence to seal up the house because there had been bats inside. Do they have that much authority to snoop around in an on going building site like that? I know what id have been telling them but maybe I'd have been wrong. Getting ridiculous on SAC ground around here now. Can't put in a water trough or hang a gate without their permission.

I'd have thought that a persons right to shelter trumps that of a bat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

This country is getting very fond of bureaucracy.

Odelay wrote: »

God only knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Odelay wrote: »

I suppose they are a protected species, they were allowed establish on this spot over a period of time and it is an offence to disturb their nests.
    https://www.batconservationireland.org/irish-bats/protection-law

_Brian wrote: »
    I suppose they are a protected species, they were allowed establish on this spot over a period of time and it is an offence to disturb their nests.
    https://www.batconservationireland.org/irish-bats/protection-law

Id have no problem with the bats. They must have been in the house to know they were there. I'd like to know if they were entitled to have gone into it at any stage and I'd doubt they were.

This country is getting very fond of bureaucracy.

Ah its keeping someone in a job ticking boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Obviously my favourite bat is a Shikaka albino bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Id have no problem with the bats. They must have been in the house to know they were there. I'd like to know if they were entitled to have gone into it at any stage and I'd doubt they were.

I don’t think they’d have to go into the house, they’d jus need to see the bats coming out of it around dusk

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Obviously my favourite bat is a Shikaka albino bat.

I love that film. Used to go around the place screeching SHI-KA-KAAAAA at each other :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I love that film. Used to go around the place screeching SHI-KA-KAAAAA at each other :D

Or.....Chicagooooo

Farmer / business man near me knocked an old stone building, wouldn't fit a car in it. Npws prosecuted him, hefty single farm payment x 3 years 100% penalty, plus court fine and legal fees, he won't have too many dinners out of the change of 300k. And in the middle of nowhere.

Farmer / business man near me knocked an old stone building, wouldn't fit a car in it. Npws prosecuted him, hefty single farm payment x 3 years 100% penalty, plus court fine and legal fees, he won't have too many dinners out of the change of 300k. And in the middle of nowhere.

Tramps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

In defence of Bats each one eats 3000 midges a night!!. In the case mentioned here the bats aren't hibernating and have finished breeding so it should be easy enough to exclude them from that dwelling once they emerge in the evening. They will quickly find another home in hollow trees or sheds nearby

Unreal amount of bats around here these nights, I always try to walk around 8/9 pm and there's loads of them swooping in front of the headlamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Unreal amount of bats around here these nights, I always try to walk around 8/9 pm and there's loads of them swooping in front of the headlamp.

I love seeing them - something thrillingly spooky about them despite being harmless yolks. A positive sign too in terms of the quality of the local environment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Girls weren't allowed to stay in the ag college I went to. We stayed in houses up the road. Myself and another girl were going home in the dark on our bikes by the local graveyard and a bat became entangled in her hair....some screams

Seen a large slate roof refurbished for the trinity down your direction, full of bats, funny thing all the dead ones were between just two rafters.

Seen a large slate roof refurbished for the trinity down your direction, full of bats, funny thing all the dead ones were between just two rafters.

I'm lost :pac: Church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Batwatch Ireland organise dusk meetings to explore for colonies of bats. They have also been doing a kind of mass observation project, where volunteers pick grid references from a map of Ireland and pledge to survey them.
    They will loan you an ultrasonic reciever/amplifier to listen to the bats when found ( or you can buy them for about 80 euro) and tberefore determine the species.
    Someone must have surveyed that house as part of their area (usually a couple of townlands in size), logged bats there and then reported when builders moved back in.

I'm lost :pac: Church?

Well you weren't lost for long 😉 ⭐⭐⭐

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement