Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Youngest lad is 10. He played for the under 11s on Friday night. The other team were extremely rough. Their manager refereed the second half and turned a blind eye to one of his players boxing a lad in the face. How can kids play properly if they are allowed to do this without being pulled up on it?

Would you not consider rugby or soccer, football is being destroyed even on the telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

wrangler wrote: »
    Would you not consider rugby or soccer, football is being destroyed even on the telly

Rugby is just as bad if not worse. sly stamping and eye gouging are still an issue.

edit: Not to say just rugby, soccer has its problems like GAA/Rugby as well; ridiculous tackles encouraged/not being punished by the ref. You know the teams that try this stuff even before you play them a lot of the time.

Suckler wrote: »
    Rugby is just as bad if not worse. sly stamping and eye gouging are still an issue.

edit: Not to say just rugby, soccer has its problems like GAA/Rugby as well; ridiculous tackles encouraged/not being punished by the ref. You know the teams that try this stuff even before you play them a lot of the time.

I suppose, at least you can watch it on Telly without the rubbish
    I played rugby 50yrs ago in school and found that there was enough hardship without causing any......played it in dublin against Dublin schools, don't remember any bitching anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

He does soccer too. He's a goalie. Got a football boot in the eye yesterday in soccer

I played rugby 50yrs ago in school and found that there was enough hardship without causing any......played it in dublin against Dublin schools, don't remember any bitching anyway

Some of the stuff on telly is tripe alright, especially when you look at the last few years hurling in comparison. I know local camps have made big steps in convincing parents/coaches that underage is about garnering enjoyment/learning from the game first. Some managers swear the U10's etc is win at all cost still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I played it (rugby) for about ten years, and as long as you didnt meet other clubs more than twice a year, it was usually fairly "clean".
    Most of our games were played in Norn Iron, so that could lead an extra dimension to the slagging ....
    Of course, we weren't kids, so retaliation could usually be dished out in the privacy of the scrum or maul. ...
    Afterwards it was mandatory that you bought your opposite number a pint.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I played it (rugby) for about ten years, and as long as you didnt meet other clubs more than twice a year, it was usually fairly "clean".
    Most of our games were played in Norn Iron, so that could lead an extra dimension to the slagging ....
    Of course, we weren't kids, so retaliation could usually be dished out in the privacy of the scrum or maul. ...
    Afterwards it was mandatory that you bought your opposite number a pint.

Yea I played front row and that's where you'd get it alright......and give it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I could not disagree more strongly. I was delighted when neither of my sons showed an interest in gaelic football because I had seen some despicable carry on at local matches, and it wasn't just the players that were a disgrace.

I can honestly say with Rugby on the other hand that I could not be more impressed with the values and respect that is taught to youngsters.

Yes winning and aggression are important but it is all firmly put in context and the respect for the referee is of paramount importance.

Dirty or foul play is never encouraged or tolerated. Also after every match every player shakes hands with every opponent.

I never worry my youngest son will be a victim of thuggish behaviour on the rugby field but I know I'd be worried if he were playing GAA.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I could not disagree more strongly. I was delighted when neither of my sons showed an interest in gaelic football because I had seen some despicable carry on at local matches, and it wasn't just the players that were a disgrace.

I can honestly say with Rugby on the other hand that I could not be more impressed with the values and respect that is taught to youngsters.

Yes winning and aggression are important but it is all firmly put in context and the respect for the referee is of paramount importance.

Dirty or foul play is never encouraged or tolerated. Also after every match every player shakes hands with every opponent.

I never worry my youngest son will be a victim of thuggish behaviour on the rugby field but I know I'd be worried if he were playing GAA.

most young people that play both will freely admit that they can't carry on on a rugby pitch like they do on a football pitch.
    Was it the football all ireland that they couldn't allow the teams run out the tunnel together, you can imagine what's been thought to the younger players

I've played both plus soccer. Like I said, there's bad in every code. Your experience of GAA locally might have been bad and your Rugby better. Mine was the opposite. I've never bought this 'respect the ref more' shtick from rugby, all it meant was you made sure the ref didn't see a bit of it. We did the hand shaking and dressing room speeches in Gaa and being clapped off in rugby; it was pure posturing in both codes.
    In any case it'll do none of them a bit of harm whatever coded they decide to play. I'd say there's a sneaky b0llix in a chess tournament never mind a Gaa/Rugby/soccer etc etc.
    most young people that play both will freely admit that they can't carry on on a rugby pitch like they do on a football pitch.
    Was it the football all ireland that they couldn't allow the teams run out the tunnel together, you can imagine what's been thought to the younger players
    There were plenty if times rugby teams were separated etc. It isn't confined to one code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I reckon its the win at all cost attitude that is driving the agro

ganmo wrote: »

+1.

Like I said above; recent Gaa camps have made huge strides in knocking that out. Found rugby better in that regard when I was young.

I've played both plus soccer. Like I said, there's bad in every code. Your experience of GAA locally might have been bad and your Rugby better. Mine was the opposite. I've never bought this 'respect the ref more' shtick from rugby, all it meant was you made sure the ref didn't see a bit of it. We did the hand shaking and dressing room speeches in Gaa and being clapped off in rugby; it was pure posturing in both codes.
    In any case it'll do none of them a bit of harm whatever coded they decide to play. I'd say there's a sneaky b0llix in a chess tournament never mind a Gaa/Rugby/soccer etc etc.

There were plenty if times rugby teams were separated etc. It isn't confined to one code.

I've played hurling, football and soccer myself for many years at various levels when I was younger and I still have some of the scars. I was often asked to play rugby but never did which is something I slightly regret now.

My two lads and my younger brother all played rugby and none of them ever experienced any of the thuggery that is so often displayed in GAA, particuarly in football I find.

I don't agree that the respect shown to the referee and the handshakes at the end of a rugby game is all posturing, far from it. It is more about the etho's of the game, sportsmanship and tough but fair play.

This attitude of "it'll do them no harm" when discussing what is essentially assault is in my humble opinion one of the reasons the GAA is losing ground to other sports.

Fair enough if someone likes to fight, let them fight. I did boxing and judo too and still have some great friends from both sports. But there is no excuse for some of the carry on that is becoming normal at football matches, it's all down to coaching and leading by example. If a club has a player that is known to be a dirty player they should be dealing with him to ensure he changes his ways or takes up another more suitable sport.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

This attitude of "it'll do them no harm" when discussing what is essentially assault is in my humble opinion one of the reasons the GAA is losing ground to other sports.

Fair enough if someone likes to fight, let them fight. I did boxing and judo too and still have some great friends from both sports. But there is no excuse for some of the carry on that is becoming normal at football matches, it's all down to coaching and leading by example. If a club has a player that is known to be a dirty player they should be dealing with him to ensure he changes his ways or takes up another more suitable sport.

100% agree - not what I meant by the "it'll do them no harm bit"; What I was trying to say was that in every sport/occupation/hobby you'll come across a minority trying to drag it down to their level. Over all they're better for it being involved in any sport.

I've friends who did boxing, great training and something I was jealous I never got to experience. Always found lads who boxed were the last to raise their fists in anger generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Just as much thuggery in gaa and rugby refs are weak when dealing with it.
    Moral code and respect in rugby that’s pure dog****e talk,when all ya hear out of lads that play it talking about the eye gouging raking and punching going on so ones and bad as the other.

100% agree - not what I meant by the "it'll do them no harm bit"; What I was trying to say was that in every sport/occupation/hobby you'll come across a minority trying to drag it down to their level. Over all they're better for it being involved in any sport.

I've friends who did boxing, great training and something I was jealous I never got to experience. Always found lads who boxed were the last to raise their fists in anger generally.

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant.

Sorry about that, but it is one particular mantra I have heard used as an excuse for something which I honestly find disgusting.

Boxing was a great outlet for us when we were young, we had great coaches who loved the sport,great craic and trips away to exotic places like Limerick and Waterford for tournaments.

Pre-fight tactics often included having to run around a housing estate wearing a black plastic bag inside your tracksuit to help make the weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ganmo wrote: »

Or too much time in the gym powered by anabolic steroids.

Or too much time in the gym powered by anabolic steroids.

At U-10 & U-11's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I see that local filling stations here in Cavan have taken action about fuel tax price hikes in tomorrows Budget.
    They've put them up 2 cent a litre!

140.9 for diesel and 150.9 for petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Youngest lad is 10. He played for the under 11s on Friday night. The other team were extremely rough. Their manager refereed the second half and turned a blind eye to one of his players boxing a lad in the face. How can kids play properly if they are allowed to do this without being pulled up on it?

That coach is doing his players no favours. I am surprised that the match went ahead with out a ref it is not allowed for insurance purposes. In a years time that player from the other team will have that habbit and will get send off. In every team sport at every level stuff is dished out that should not be. There is aproblem in some counties with general melee's by teams. But I have always taught lads displine and do unto other what they do unto you just like life but not back at U12. From 16's on lads have to learn to handle the game physicality and displine no hiding place on a football pitch.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I see that local filling stations here in Cavan have taken action about fuel tax price hikes in tomorrows Budget.
    They've put them up 2 cent a litre!

140.9 for diesel and 150.9 for petrol.

Same here. Got diesel last Monday morning at 132.9. Same station this morning is 140.5. Hard to look at the underlying oil prices and justify a near 8c jump in a week, even before the proposed tax hikes coming tomorrow

At U-10 & U-11's :rolleyes:

Yea it's secretly put into their school lunches. :D

If anyone says muscle bulking drugs are not used in this country and that people are not more prone to lashing out then your living under a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Same here. Got diesel last Monday morning at 132.9. Same station this morning is 140.5. Hard to look at the underlying oil prices and justify a near 8c jump in a week, even before the proposed tax hikes coming tomorrow

Has diesel gone up already? Was going fill up dis evening?

Yea it's secretly put into their school lunches. :D

If anyone says muscle bulking drugs are not used in this country and that people are not more prone to lashing out then your living under a rock.

What has that got to do with the discussion though?

That coach is doing his players no favours. I am surprised that the match went ahead with out a ref it is not allowed for insurance purposes. In a years time that player from the other team will have that habbit and will get send off. In every team sport at every level stuff is dished out that should not be. There is aproblem in some counties with general melee's by teams. But I have always taught lads displine and do unto other what they do unto you just like life but not back at U12. From 16's on lads have to learn to handle the game physicality and displine no hiding place on a football pitch.

My lad said when he came home he kept saying in his head " Dont hurt me, dont hurt me." he'd be a tough nut but these lads were rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A lot of the refereeing in the gaa at club level is brutal in fairness. Just within games our own club has been involved in this year I don't think there was any game where there wasn't a fist swung intentionally to hit some one from either side and most go unnoticed by the ref. Not really good enough.

What has that got to do with the discussion though?

Explaining why bulked up football players are more prone to aggression.

Explaining why bulked up football players are more prone to aggression.

It's not what we're talking about though?

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, its a pure bar stool argument - "sure they're all on drugs".

Edit: Not sure why you've just referred to footballers?

It's not what we're talking about though?

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, its a pure bar stool argument - "sure they're all on drugs".
    Bring in mandatory drug team testing as a sanction against any of that shyte and I'll bet you'll stamp out that crap fairly soon.
    But no this is Ireland it doesn't happen here and now people get insulted with a reply "sure they're all on drugs". :rolleyes:

Looking like the incredible hulk is not normal behaving like it definitely raises questions.

Edit: i mentioned football because Ormond started this discussion with a nordie football player running off the pitch to attack another player or spectator when the game was over.

• Advertisement

Bring in mandatory drug team testing as a sanction against any of that shyte and I'll bet you'll stamp out that crap fairly soon.
    But no this is Ireland it doesn't happen here and now people get insulted with a reply "sure they're all on drugs". :rolleyes:

Looking like the incredible hulk is not normal behaving like it definitely raises questions.

Edit: i mentioned football because Ormond started this discussion with a nordie football player running off the pitch to attack another player or spectator when the game was over.

Do you play gaelic-football?

Do you play gaelic-football?

Have you seen how drugged up weightlifters treat their partners?

It is tested in GAA anyway. I didnt play Rugby or Soccer at a 'high' level so I can't comment on those. GAA we had were tested randomly quite often. I didn't play at the highest level but I know guys that had to be careful of what antibiotics they took etc. in case of a banned ingredient.

But no this is Ireland, it does happen, people with an agenda decide to spout nonsense as if they know what they're talking about. "Insulted"? no; just not allowing lies to be paraded as fact.

Again - who/what exactly are you talking about? No earthly relevance to the discussion but bar stool talk.

Ah here. That has nothing to di with what we are talking about

We've got a live one here.

And surprise surprise.
    Anabolic steroids get mentioned on rte radio 1 there now.
    1 in 5 people "considered" taking them.
    1 in 2 people never heard of them before.

And here we are on boards having this crap conversation.

• Advertisement

And surprise surprise.
    Anabolic steroids get mentioned on rte radio 1 there now.
    1 in 5 people "considered" taking them.
    1 in 2 people never heard of them before.

And here we are on boards having this crap conversation.

So 2 out of 5 actually considered taking them so?

So 2 out of 5 actually considered taking them so?

You may take it up with Philip Boucher Hayes. :pac:

Honestly though some people on here.
    The land of saints and cover ups.

You may take it up with Philip Boucher Hayes. :pac:

Honestly though some people on here.
    The land of saints and cover ups.
    I dont really understand what you are on about, so for that reason I'm out, I must live under a rock. I'm off powerwashing

I dont really understand what you are on about, so for that reason I'm out, I must live under a rock. I'm off powerwashing

Simple kindergarten answer. :)

People take anabolic steroids to increase muscle mass and get the edge over other players.
    Anabolic steroids however make people crazy and liable to beating up anything that moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What I find amazing is how clean hurling has become. It's almost a non-contact game now. I think the reason for it is a free given is as good as a free point now. Coaches are well tuned into this and so dirty play isn't encouraged.
    Years ago nearly every ball was contested with a hard shoulder and ground hurling. That's all but gone now. Not convinced it's a good thing. Those shimozzles with 10 or so players all trying to poke the ball out, does my head in. In the old days this would have been a free for all. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

I boxed when I was younger. Seriously tough sport. Nowhere to hide in the ring when you tire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

Is it the person that treats their partner that way is attracted to weightlifting or do the drugs change them?
    Genuine question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Grueller wrote: »
    Is it the person that treats their partner that way is attracted to weightlifting or do the drugs change them?
    Genuine question.

He's on about Roid rage. Lads on that stuff get it. They have been known to violently fly off the handle for no reason without any warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Discussion on RTE1 now re steroids.

Do they not give out cards in under age football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

They do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I was gonna post on this issue. Firstly there's different approaches in different counties. Underage in Offaly they adhere mainly to the Go Games model.
    Up as far as U13 it's non competitive, everyone plays etc. No cards. The only way I've seen young lads penalised was that the ref would tell the manager to take him off.
    From U13 on its Championship. On a three quarter pitch with two plays. Full rules apply, cards etc.
    My own young lads came through this system. I had many debates on the whole system but one thing I always disagreed with was the card issue. I think the first day a young lad plays football he should know that acting the maggot means a card and that means you don't play!

One of my lads was tough at u12 a bit smartarseish. The move up to U13 and the occasional card seemed to hammer home the message. Eventually!
    Having said all the above, not every club buys into Go Games format and other competitions have their own rules eg Cumman Na mbun scoil.

I do think the Co board need to do more to recruit more refs. It's one thankless job. But I see young refs come and go and they appear to have very very little support from the Co board.

Another issue is club philosophy. Some clubs right from day one preach to young lads to put down the ball and walk away when the ref gives a free against you. Other clubs seem to promote the opposite. Every decision is questioned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »

Bloody spies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bloody spies

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Base price wrote: »

If they want to put young lads off steriods they should show them some pics of former East German athletes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement