Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Re underage cards.....I have to confess that I was booked in a u12 match many moons ago for foul language and for fighting, we both got a yellow, seemingly it was almost unheard off back then and I was told of the shame I brought on the club:D

Ironically I’d be on very good terms with the other lad now, some 30 yrs later :D

To clarify neither of us were on steroids though hormones may have had a part to play!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Lot of sh1te talk over the last few pages.

There isn't 3 good refs in the country never mind each county.

The same <Modsnip> that play all 2/3 codes cause the problems for each of the teams they play for

Your children could be doing a lot worse than playing GAA or any sport for that matter.

As for steroids Ped, that is few and far between.

As for the violence in some games in the GAA. Well it just means more. Most lads i know play soccer and rugby to keep fitness up for the winter, been the same for years locally they can take it or leave but playing for the parish is a whole other ball game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Lot of sh1te talk over the last few pages.

As for steroids Ped, that is few and far between.

You have to admit though.
    My Philip Boucher Hayes trump card was class.
    I was nearly bet and the philmeister turned up.

More here.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3225732/warning-anabolic-steroids-serious-health-issues/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was at an under 14 girls game earlier in the year. One of our team got a right slap on the face. The ref called the girl over and was giving out to her. This girl has previous form and was not long back from a ban. The girl started crying, her dad came in the pitch and tore strips off the ref. Apparently you can't send a player off in that age group only send a report to the county board. Who needs soaps with all the drama going on on the pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was at an under 14 girls game earlier in the year. One of our team got a right slap on the face. The ref called the girl over and was giving out to her. This girl has previous form and was not long back from a ban. The girl started crying, her dad came in the pitch and tore strips off the ref. Apparently you can't send a player off in that age group only send a report to the county board. Who needs soaps with all the drama going on on the pitch...

She was obviously on steroids. Everyone is....apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Have all windfall trees cut and chopped up here looks like I’ll be at more of the same Saturday morning storm callum on the way and a ****e load of rain as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I says wrote: »
    Have all windfall trees cut and chopped up here looks like I’ll be at more of the same Saturday morning storm callum on the way and a ****e load of rain as well.

Right drop for Friday it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Re underage cards.....I have to confess that I was booked in a u12 match many moons ago for foul language and for fighting, we both got a yellow, seemingly it was almost unheard off back then and I was told of the shame I brought on the club:D

Ironically I’d be on very good terms with the other lad now, some 30 yrs later :D

To clarify neither of us were on steroids though hormones may have had a part to play!!!!

Sometimes it’s communication.
    I was sent off in an U14 match long time ago, we were being carved up by a very light footed forward. Coach pulled me aside and said “I don’t care what you do, don’t let him past you again”.
    Well I didn’t and it wasn’t my skill at football that stopped him either. Strangely when I got to the sideline the coach asked me “what the fnuck were you thinking”, as a hot headed teenager I just couldn’t understand his contradictions. I’d followed his directions perfectly, the lad had to sit out the rest of the game too.

Suckler wrote: »
    She was obviously on steroids. Everyone is....apparently.

You were the one who's reply was that "everyone was at it" when you couldn't take it.
    If you have a debate get your facts right and don't put words in other people's mouths.

So...

https://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU

• Advertisement

You were the one who's reply was that "everyone was at it" when you couldn't take it.
    If you have a debate get your facts right and don't put words in other people's mouths.

So...

https://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU

A bit rich talking about "facts " when all you've touted is inaccurate hear-say.

A bit rich talking about "facts " when all you've touted is inaccurate hear-say.

Well we wouldn't have had a national anabolic steroid awareness day yesterday if there wasn't a problem.

Bury your head if you want. That's your own business but don't go spouting nothing to see here move along swiftly then when there clearly is a problem.

Inter county players might be tested I'll grant you that but I doubt club players are and definitely not the secondary school leagues. And I'm talking football and rugby. All your growing and developing is done in your adolescent years and going by some of these rugby monsters in the school leagues it's clearly not bacon and cabbage is doing it. And don't say you know what all those supplement tablets are for. And don't forget the 'roids' have a long lasting effect both physically and mentally. It's only sports people are going to be taking these anyway and gym bunnies.

You can't bury your head on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Well we wouldn't have had a national anabolic steroid awareness day yesterday if there wasn't a problem.

Bury your head if you want. That's your own business but don't go spouting nothing to see here move along swiftly then when there clearly is a problem.

Inter county players might be tested I'll grant you that but I doubt club players are and definitely not the secondary school leagues. And I'm talking football and rugby. All your growing and developing is done in your adolescent years and going by some of these rugby monsters in the school leagues it's clearly not bacon and cabbage is doing it. And don't say you know what all those supplement tablets are for. And don't forget the 'roids' have a long lasting effect both physically and mentally. It's only sports people are going to be taking these anyway and gym bunnies.

You can't bury your head on this one.

it wasn't being used for anything else was it?

I know 2 lads that took steroids, both used them for bodybuilding and i'd say thats why the majority are used

ganmo wrote: »
    it wasn't being used for anything else was it?

I know 2 lads that took steroids, both used them for bodybuilding and i'd say thats why the majority are used

For sport too.

https://theseasonticket.ie/joe-brolly-speaks-on-ethics-in-the-gaa/

Those northern footballers are big and angry.

Edit: imagine if I never brought this up.
    Ye'd still be blaming it on "the will to win" and possibly the parents.

ah but northies are angry even when they're eating their brekkie :P

Nobody has said there wasn’t a usage of steroids. We wouldn’t have testing and an awareness day if there wasn’t usage in the sport(s). The sports we were talking about were underage. (U-10/11 etc.) You’re attempt to portray usage as a sole reason is nonsense.
    Burying the head indeed. Your simple and inarticulate statement of “too much time in the gym powered by anabolic steroids” is in itself a head burying exercise. Just because a sport has evolved to include gym/strength training doesn’t automatically mean its due to steroid use/abuse which is precisely what you are trying to do. There are a multitude of reasons and affects this type of on/off pitch behaviour is having (with respect to GAA as its in the news recently).
    Social media is a huge window to sports we never had. When would we ever have seen footage from an innocuous club game from opposite ends of the country? There’d nearly be a camera phone in the pocket of every spectator these days. Scraps like this are nothing new; it was simply put down to ‘bad blood’ or score settling between neighbouring towns/ rivals for years. Gaa county boards + higher ups could/should have stamped this out years ago but that’s another discussion. In every county there was always a team(s) known for their off the ball stuff etc. In whatsapp groups I receive numerous sports videos showing scraps/bad tackles/bad shots/best scores etc etc from a many sport of varying levels in different countries. It’s unprecedented the shear amount of footage taken and distributed.
    Inter county players might be tested I'll grant you that but I doubt…….
    But yesterday you were so assured that “But no this is Ireland it doesn't happen here and now people get insulted” high horse shyte. You were wrong but continued to distort the argument instead of just accept it. Could better/more testing be done? Possibly, yes, but I won’t let you purport the lazy arse shtick of “this is Ireland…” and “the land of saints and cover ups”…wrong again but you’re attempting to back track now.
    All your growing and developing is done in your adolescent years and going by some of these rugby monsters in the school leagues it's clearly not bacon and cabbage is doing it.
    “Some” its possible yes but not all as you’ve attempted to paint. The usage of gym work and strength and conditioning experts have changed the shape of some athletes undoubtedly. Training types and exercise drills have changed immensely; gone are the days of a team being sent out to do simple slogging laps of the pitch now it is circuit training etc.
    You cannot ignore also changes to diet and fluid intake. Even from the 90’s some club ethos on these are unrecognisable. The ‘bacon and cabbage’ diet we were all used to has now been changed to low carb high protein small & often meals.
    Steroid use isn’t an automatic answer either though. They aren’t an overnight magic bullet to muscles that people think.
    And don't say you know what all those supplement tablets are for. And don't forget the 'roids' have a long lasting effect both physically and mentally. It's only sports people are going to be taking these anyway and gym bunnies.
    At least this bit is a lot more articulate than the obtuse statement of “Have you seen how drugged up weightlifters treat their partners?” drivel. Steroid use/abuse have a long list of potential and documented side effects. They are not certified defined outcomes in every individual that takes them. But again, that’s not what was being discussed and you’re attempt to simply paint anyone involved in the fighting as “bulked up” steroid abusers is pathetically wrong.
    Your smug “Simple kindergarten answer. :)” retort was affirmation that you really don’t know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

What I find amazing is how clean hurling has become. It's almost a non-contact game now. I think the reason for it is a free given is as good as a free point now. Coaches are well tuned into this and so dirty play isn't encouraged.
    Years ago nearly every ball was contested with a hard shoulder and ground hurling. That's all but gone now. Not convinced it's a good thing. Those shimozzles with 10 or so players all trying to poke the ball out, does my head in. In the old days this would have been a free for all. :D

Simply I've found its gone faster as fitness levels have gotten better. Why bother trying to wrestle for a 50/50 ball when I know I could put it 20/30 yards in front of the guy knowing he'll win the sprint every time and have a score got before the stereotypical great big lump of a full back has him.
    Same with puck outs, no more launching it long and high as you can. If we'd attempted short puck outs years ago you'd have been castrated.
    And like you said free taking, especially long range, accuracy these days is too risky to give away frees now.

God bless this country one and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Simply I've found its gone faster as fitness levels have gotten better. Why bother trying to wrestle for a 50/50 ball when I know I could put it 20/30 yards in front of the guy knowing he'll win the sprint every time and have a score got before the stereotypical great big lump of a full back has him.
    Same with puck outs, no more launching it long and high as you can. If we'd attempted short puck outs years ago you'd have been castrated.
    And like you said free taking, especially long range, accuracy these days is too risky to give away frees now.

If anyone can invent steroids that strenghten your core and make you agile and light footed instead of a block of muscle that an articulated truck would turn quicker than him/her. Id pay for that!! Most S&C trainers are now concentrating on beteen the "two Bs" your belly button and your balls. You get that area right and physical training using the weight of your own body and a few kettle bells will get you strong enough and powerful enough for GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: And on that note, I think we'll move on from steroid abuse in Ireland, if that's alright with y'all?

Cheers,

Buford T. Justice

Mod note: And on that note, I think we'll move on from steroid abuse in Ireland, if that's alright with y'all?

Cheers,

Buford T. Justice
    Can we do the growing misuse of the farmers journal pages as toilet paper next?
    Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Had a class inspection today. You’d be second guessing yourself but it all went very well so happy out.

Parent teacher meeting and open day next.

Can we do the growing misuse of the farmers journal pages as toilet paper next?
    Please.

Move with the times, most people read the journal online now. Not much use for wiping your butt

Move with the times, most people read the journal online now. Not much use for wiping your butt
    We'll just have to use the e-paper, ticks all the boxes:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

had just 3 phone calls to day ,

2 to tell me that 2 different past buddies of mine had passed away less than 12 hours apart

third was from lady in the bank. informing me that a cheque I lodged in the atm thingy yesterday evening had bounced & to contact the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

orm0nd wrote: »
    had just 3 phone calls to day ,

2 to tell me that 2 different past buddies of mine had passed away less than 12 hours apart

third was from lady in the bank. informing me that a cheque I lodged in the atm thingy yesterday evening had bounced & to contact the drawer.

Not a great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Did anyone see an article in The Sunday Business Post about a farmer whose land now falls within an area designated "zoned for residental"?
    As he has no intention of building on it (having farmed it for 60 years) the County Council have decided it is a vacant site.
    This means an annual levy of 3% on the market value, rising to 7% in 2019.

Tbe man is looking for a High Court review of the Councils tactics, describing it as "CPO by the back door".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Did anyone see an article in The Sunday Business Post about a farmer whose land now falls within an area designated "zoned for residental"?
    As he has no intention of building on it (having farmed it for 60 years) the County Council have decided it is a vacant site.
    This means an annual levy of 3% on the market value, rising to 7% in 2019.

Tbe man is looking for a High Court review of the Councils tactics, describing it as "CPO by the back door".

Tell him to have a bit of sense and sell it .......

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Tell him to have a bit of sense and sell it .......

no pass it on to the next generation without a will let bicker about what to do and spend the price of it in the courts. sure it'll build character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Had a class inspection today. You’d be second guessing yourself but it all went very well so happy out.

Parent teacher meeting and open day next.

When I read that first, I was wondering what kind of service tractor manufactures are offering nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hope nobody injured.

But why had they the loader chained to the trailer? Were they trying to lift it?
    Why use the loader at all? If that tracked tractor couldn't get him out on own forget about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Muckit wrote: »
    Hope nobody injured.

But why had they the loader chained to the trailer? Were they trying to lift it?
    Why use the loader at all? If that tracked tractor couldn't get him out on own forget about it!

I'd think there was several attempts before the tracked tractor was called in. Probably forgot about the chain. This is the reason h&s require a method statement noting how an operation should be noted. It would make people think about how it's done and who stops the operation.

Odelay wrote: »
    I'd think there was several attempts before the tracked tractor was called in. Probably forgot about the chain. This is the reason h&s require a method statement noting how an operation should be noted. It would make people think about how it's done and who stops the operation.

It was great there was someone there to film it....

It was great there was someone there to film it....

Everyone's a filmmaker these days.

I blame "You've been framed" ;). It became a slippery slope after that.
    The 50 pounds and fame became a thousand thanks and retweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Their usually the people who know it all and ask them something you just get the blank look and “I don’t know”only fit to block a hole in the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Sure if it wasn't filmed no one would believe it.

On a plus though, we can all learn from others mistakes when they are filmed.

Today is world mental health day. It's ok not to be ok. This has been a very tough year mentally on alot of farms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Interesting, and thought provoking lecture by Professor Richard Lindzen - possibly the World's leading expert on climate, debunking the climate change is caused by CO2 racket. It will be interesting to see if it gets the same level of media coverage as the report from the UN intergovernmental stooges.

Somehow I don't think so!

https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads/2018/10/Lindzen-2018-GWPF-Lecture.pdf

• Advertisement

Rosahane wrote: »
    Interesting, and thought provoking lecture by Professor Richard Lindzen - possibly the World's leading expert on climate, debunking the climate change is caused by CO2 racket. It will be interesting to see if it gets the same level of media coverage as the report from the UN intergovernmental stooges.

Whats "Thought provoking" about it or is it just because you think climate changes is for stooges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Opinions are like arse holes, everybody’s got one.

We have to look at what the vast majority of the scientific community are saying and that is that co2 emissions are effecting climate change in a negative way.

Even within reputable scientists there will be outliers who for whatever reason feel they are right, but that doesn’t make them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

That's pj lee's/Pretoria energy. All the gear and no 'idear'.

What about the record breaking arctic warmth this year and then the extremely wavy jet stream as a result.

* The jet stream is fast moving current of air that forms from the temperature difference in the tropics and the arctic.
    If the air temperature difference is not as great (warmer arctic) the jet stream is slower and more wavy and the result is less mobile weather systems in the northern hemisphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Decisions on complex systems like the body or climate are often more based on probability rather than absolute fact. If a doctor told you that you a mole was probably cancerous would you just ignore it until you were sure it was ?Given the number of opinions on both sides, I'd say he is probably wrong but, even if he isn't, we need to do something about our dependence on fossil fuels, our pollution of the planet (and space) and a fairer global wealth distribution

The article is a bit Trump like, having a swipe at those he differs with, rather than what they say, as they on boards, "Attack the post, not the poster" He says that often the common people are often more correct than the experts. I think we are getting to the point where the majority of the "common" people feel that CO2 emissions are a problem. The issues with us all is that we want somebody else to bear the pain

I heard an interesting one today in a machinery dealership.
    A farmer in front of me was chewing the fat and invariably the conversation goes onto the weather and then about those shocking flash floods in Majorca.
    Then it turns out he has a son in New Zealand working and that they too get torrential downpours, that stops them at silage. However he said in an hour after the rain they could start up the harvester again as they have rich volcanic soil that the water just soaks right through. He was saying the same rain in this country would stop a harvester for days till the ground dried up a bit.
    Big difference in ground soakage and dept of soakage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭148multi

I heard an interesting one today in a machinery dealership.
    A farmer in front of me was chewing the fat and invariably the conversation goes onto the weather and then about those shocking flash floods in Majorca.
    Then it turns out he has a son in New Zealand working and that they too get torrential downpours, that stops them at silage. However he said in an hour after the rain they could start up the harvester again as they have rich volcanic soil that the water just soaks right through. He was saying the same rain in this country would stop a harvester for days till the ground dried up a bit.
    Big difference in ground soakage and dept of soakage.

Had a nephew out there, he said the rock/ground could just collapse under the tractor and a pouris type of black rock very near to the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Very sad post from Gareth O'Callaghan about Emma Mhic Mathuna.

https://www.facebook.com/gareth.ocallaghan.1/photos/a.424987430982392/1139145329566595/?type=3&theater
    RIP
    I see another victim died today but wanted anonymity
    The count is 21 now, I know some mightn't have got successful treatments even if diagnosed but......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

wrangler wrote: »
    Very sad post from Gareth O'Callaghan about Emma Mhic Mathuna.

https://www.facebook.com/gareth.ocallaghan.1/photos/a.424987430982392/1139145329566595/?type=3&theater
    RIP
    I see another victim died today but wanted anonymity

How many months ago with Harris and other politicians were on a tidal wave of goodwill while they have continued to bury their heads in the sand over this controversy.
    Resign and do the honorable thing but not in this banana republic people will still vote them in “he fixed the road” springs to mind.
    How many more are going to needlessly die because they won’t provide proper testing procedures yet they still go ahead and pay themselves €935 extra before this years budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I says wrote: »
    How many months ago with Harris and other politicians were on a tidal wave of goodwill while they have continued to bury their heads in the sand over this controversy.
    Resign and do the honorable thing but not in this banana republic people will still vote them in “he fixed the road” springs to mind.
    How many more are going to needlessly die because they won’t provide proper testing procedures yet they still go ahead and pay themselves €935 extra before this years budget.

HSE needs a severe cull too

The politicians havent a clue, they dont live in the real world. How is it ok that a people are better off on the dole than working, crazy waiting lists in hospitals. Children waiting to see a counsellor have to wait 6 months at least. Women dying young not getting to see their kids growing up due to a total fook up.... Ah sure we're doing great in this country

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement