Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Willfarman wrote: »
    I’m thinking very strongly of giving peter Casey my vote for the presidency now. For no other reason but to show my support for his sentiments towards the travellers. Whatever about their rights and yada yada how about the rights of a law abiding tax paying farmer to have some support and be able to live without the worry of these cnunts every day.

I agree we all have our own stories.Apparently Peter Casey is considering over the weekend of pulling out but it seems to be late to pull out now as it is so many days to the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I’m thinking very strongly of giving peter Casey my vote for the presidency now. For no other reason but to show my support for his sentiments towards the travellers. Whatever about their rights and yada yada how about the rights of a law abiding tax paying farmer to have some support and be able to live without the worry of these cnunts every day.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Travellers arent going to vote and i assume a relatively large proportion of the population are going to vote for him because he shares their views on travellers which are not pc.he wont win but hell improve from hos current polls id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I don't disagree with what he's saying but I don't like that its being used as an election tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Heard a few interesting stories about those particular travellers. Apparently they do a lot of buying and selling......and their produce don't originate from farms. Not Irish ones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Laughed at it even though I know the lad in the photo 464099.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Pod123 wrote: »
    I agree we all have our own stories.Apparently Peter Casey is considering over the weekend of pulling out but it seems to be late to pull out now as it is so many days to the election.

He can withdraw if he wants to. He can't be 'forced' to be president. :pac:

As he said himself he doesn't want to be elected on that reason alone. He doesn't want to go down the Trump-esc route and attract the racist and bigot voters.

Michael D is the safest pair of hands for Presidency at this stage. His age is against him but he's the only one that fits the bill for such a role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I agree Michael d is the only candidate for the job however my vote is a protest at the pc nonsense. People should be judged on their actions and not have protection against the the same standard of social obligation as the rest of the population by constantly waving a victim card.

I agree Michael d is the only candidate for the job however my vote is a protest at the pc nonsense. People should be judged on their actions and not have protection against the the same standard of social obligation as the rest of the population by constantly waving a victim card.

I agree with you about the travellers.
    But if people vote for an anti pc candidate just based on that. We could very quickly end up with a Donald Trump or Hitler or this new young buck in Saudi Arabia and like follows like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If the voice of the law abiding working person is silenced to the point of farcical fallacy.
    Then at some point it will allow a nutter like trump to flourish..

• Advertisement

If the voice of the law abiding working person is silenced to the point of farcical fallacy.
    Then at some point it will allow a nutter like trump to flourish..

We still have our own thoughts and choices at the ballot box though.
    'Silenced' is a bit extreme for this country when compared to countries like Saud.

Let history be always our guide.

I'd rather a pc world than the other.
    And to be honest the majority have never had it as good. But good equals boring and boring looks for change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Heard a few interesting stories about those particular travellers. Apparently they do a lot of buying and selling......and their produce don't originate from farms. Not Irish ones anyway.

Exotic herbs and spices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree with you about the travellers.
    But if people vote for an anti pc candidate just based on that. We could very quickly end up with a Donald Trump or Hitler or this new young buck in Saudi Arabia and like follows like.
    We still have our own thoughts and choices at the ballot box though.
    'Silenced' is a bit extreme for this country when compared to countries like Saud.

Let history be always our guide.

I'd rather a pc world than the other.
    And to be honest the majority have never had it as good. But good equals boring and boring looks for change.

The issue is that at present election canditates are gone so politically correct it is obscene. While Peter Casey has expressed a view that is not PC and may have expressed it a bit on the extreme side at present everything has to be PC. I have kids gone through and going through college, one thing I notice is that they are so PC.

It has got the stage where politicians have to be seen to adhere to a populist views. For all the faults of politicians like the Healy-Rae's, Mattie McGrath and a few others at least they propagate a different view. But even they are reluctant to express views on certain issue's like travellers. Whether the PC briagde like it or not there is a criminal element with in this so called ethnic group that is higher than the population norm in society. None of there pressure groups came out and expressed concern over the issues that Tipp Co Council are being blackmailed about. You also have to look at the amounts of money spend on purpose build halting site and the state they are now in after only 20ish years of habitation.

But the real issue is now we seldom get a chance to kick politicians up the ass without serious conquences. There is no way Peter Casey will be elected. As well there is no way Michael D will lose this election. After that what happens is immaterial. If Peter Casey recieves a vote that takes him into the 10-20% bracket it will not get him elected but it may cause politicians to actually start to respect peoples views. Even if my some freak of voting it is better to have something untowards happen in the Presdential election rather than in a european or dail election

Slava Ukrainii

The issue is that at present election canditates are gone so politically correct it is obscene. While Peter Casey has expressed a view that is not PC and may have expressed it a bit on the extreme side at present everything has to be PC. I have kids gone through and going through college, one thing I notice is that they are so PC.

It has got the stage where politicians have to be seen to adhere to a populist views. For all the faults of politicians like the Healy-Rae's, Mattie McGrath and a few others at least they propagate a different view. But even they are reluctant to express views on certain issue's like travellers. Whether the PC briagde like it or not there is a criminal element with in this so called ethnic group that is higher than the population norm in society. None of there pressure groups came out and expressed concern over the issues that Tipp Co Council are being blackmailed about. You also have to look at the amounts of money spend on purpose build halting site and the state they are now in after only 20ish years of habitation.

But the real issue is now we seldom get a chance to kick politicians up the ass without serious conquences. There is no way Peter Casey will be elected. As well there is no way Michael D will lose this election. After that what happens is immaterial. If Peter Casey recieves a vote that takes him into the 10-20% bracket it will not get him elected but it may cause politicians to actually start to respect peoples views. Even if my some freak of voting it is better to have something untowards happen in the Presdential election rather than in a european or dail election
    All well and good Bass but what would YOU do if in power?
    Make everyone on social welfare homeless?

As far as I'm concerned there's always a bogeyman and it's the populist thing no matter where you are in the world to attack that bogeyman to divert attention away from any policies or lack of you may have to get elected. The sheep as far as I'm concerned always fall for it hook line and sinker. A true leader never has to stoop so low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Do the candidates get there expenses back if they get a certain %of the vote.
    If they do then Casey definitely ment what he said and to be honest I agree with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

How do you mean get their expenses back?

naughto wrote: »
    Do the candidates get there expenses back if they get a certain %of the vote.
    If they do then Casey definitely ment what he said and to be honest I agree with him

AFAIK they don't get expenses, they pay a certain amount to get on the ballot and if they pass a certain quota they get some or all of that back.

Odelay wrote: »
    Exotic herbs and spices?

2-funny-on-drugs-pictures.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Muckit wrote: »
    How do you mean get their expenses back?

I think there is a deposit to be paid of 500 euro, before you are added to the list.
    If you get over a certin % of the vote, you get this back. (5% I think)
    If you get over 20% you can claim back your expensis from the State, up to 200,000 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,982 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Can't see there being much of a turn out for the election. Kids delighted with day off school

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I think there is a deposit to be paid of 500 euro, before you are added to the list.
    If you get over 20% you can claim back your expensis from the State, up to 200,000 euro.

Oh right. I wouldn't be up with all that. So essentially the taxpayer is funding it? Lovely!!

I was only aware of the 300000 figure they were saying it was costing each of THEM to run their campaigns.

I see that Ferris man got manslaughter.

I could totally see how it could happen. Tis anazing the human brain will only contend with so much before it snaps.

Oh right. I wouldn't be up with all that. So essentially the taxpayer is funding it? Lovely!!

I was only aware of the 300000 figure they were saying it was costing each of THEM to run their campaigns.

No, you pony up your own expenses and if you poll more than 20% the tax payer pays you up to 200,000.
    Likely Michael D will get his expenses partially covered, the rest will get nothing. A few will be lucky to get their deposit back.......

Be God I was out in the yard this evening and I kept hearing this thump, thump,thump, thump.
    "What the hell is this?" says I.
    "Is it thunder?"
    I look up and it's a real calm night with the full moon shining.
    "No it couldn't be that".
    There it goes again. Thump, thump, thump, thump.
    "Is it someone dragging a wheely bin about?"
    Goes down to where the wheely bin is in the stick house.
    "Nope it's not that".
    I'm now at the road gate and .. thump, thump, thump, thump.
    "Ah it must be that fecker of a bull from Leitrim at the water trough?"
    Thump, thump, thump, thump.
    "No it's further away than that".
    Thump, thump, thump, thump.
    "Ah I have it now. It's the firework display opening the Wexford Opera Festival".

Wexford town is 20 miles from me as the crow flies.
    Must have been a hell of a display. Going by the noise anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Now now...tis only the good bulls that attack the water troughs :D:D

Exact same thing happened me last weekend though, I was fluthering around down at the lake around 9 o clock and seen a flash of light in the sky & a loud bang. Thought it was a dry storm! Nope, just the fireworks finishing some regatta or something with rowers/boats at Lough Rynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I see that Ferris man got manslaughter.

I could totally see how it could happen. Tis anazing the human brain will only contend with so much before it snaps.
    There's no winners in that case, everybody loses.

No, you pony up your own expenses and if you poll more than 20% the tax payer pays you up to 200,000.
    Likely Michael D will get his expenses partially covered, the rest will get nothing. A few will be lucky to get their deposit back.......

The parties would pay for their candidates campaign so I presume labor are payin for mickies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Any of ye bale kale and Italian rye grass this year ?? How did the bales turn out and had ye any trouble actually making the bales. A neighbor rang me wondering could I do it. They usually get a fella with a fusion but the bales kept breaking going into the table

ganmo wrote: »
    The parties would pay for their candidates campaign so I presume labor are payin for mickies

I thought he claimed on the TV to be paying out of his own pocket.
    Sinn Fein probably picking up Liadh's costs alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Hear a chopper overhead, hopefully nothing too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'd say a few lads are thinking twice about setting out crow bangers....

Hear a chopper overhead, hopefully nothing too serious

You can follow them here.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:290919/zoom:7

It'll be the 'boat' that's over land.

Well the neighbours. They dont gave to listen to an effin banger anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Well the neighbours. They dont gave to listen to an effin banger anymore.

That's the thing, Muckit. It'll be back in tillage again next spring and bangers going again after planting and before harvest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Some few weeks with work, the two smallies are sick too. Was in A&E last sat with the 6month old with a temp.

Mothers 75th tomorrow. Could do with a weekend with nothing on.

Have to replace a gutter in the valley of the slatted shed before housing. I’m lucky so far with the weather.

Got rid of all the netting and silage wrap so happy out.

• Advertisement

For anyone that's interested.

This is kind of what if been reading lately.
    I find it very interesting anyway.

David R Montgomery.
    https://youtu.be/kmufsY79et0

It's what the BASE Ireland members are implementing now.
    (Not a member myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

20% of the vote. Not 20% of the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

All well and good Bass but what would YOU do if in power?
    Make everyone on social welfare homeless?

As far as I'm concerned there's always a bogeyman and it's the populist thing no matter where you are in the world to attack that bogeyman to divert attention away from any policies or lack of you may have to get elected. The sheep as far as I'm concerned always fall for it hook line and sinker. A true leader never has to stoop so low.

The reason that bogey men like Trump can gain power is because of populist politics. It is by the refusal to allow different views. Look at the tags applied to Peter Casey because he expressed a non PC opinion that has a genuine foundation. Populist politics blames society for all problems within society and refuses to attach any blame to the individual except when the individual makes a non PC statement. Colm McCarthy writes a piece in this week FJ regarding Brexit. It was a Eurosceptic minority within both the labour party and the Conservative party that drove the agenda but it is the alienation that people have with the PC populist center that drives people to radical voting.

As for your statement
    ''but what would YOU do if in power? Make everyone on social welfare homeless?''
    No I would not but I do think we need to get back to a certain amount of individual responsibility. There was a Court Case yesterday where a young women received half a million for when she was a 13 year old she was tram surfing. Then we have the case that was highlighted regarding the newly build houses in Thurles and the extraordinary demands for more land and stables from the Travellers.

Housing is little different as Local Authorities exited building and managing houses due to the costs involved. It would have been cheaper ASAP to hand over the house to some individuals rather rent and manage them. What drives rental costs to ordinary workers is rent allowance as much as housing shortage. Government must provide an excessive higher rate to encourage landlords to rent to these tenants. Why?. The majority are fairly good tenants . The reason is there is a minority that will cause havoc to landords and landords have to cover this risk.

So is what Peter Casey expressed an outrage IMO no and a vast section of people believe that. However Micheal D has been a successful President and will receive the majority of the votes. I will vote Peter Casey No 1 and Michead D No 2.

Slava Ukrainii

Michael D is the quintessential PC politician. His roll as President allows him to be all things to all men and never having to offend anyone. Unlike the US President for example, who always has to take sides, our President can simply sit there and smile at everyone. His role, by definition is little more than keep an eye on the constitution. 'A safe pair of hands' and that's why most will vote for him.

I don't really understand the, "I'll vote for this quack because he's non pc" attitude.
    What makes it worse is the "It's not my fault I'm voting for this quack. It's society's fault" attitude.
    I'm afraid people ye have brains in your heads and ye can't blame someone else if ye elect a "Boris Johnson" type fool and then suffer the consequences because of a protest vote.

Hitler was labelled a quack for long enough but then with his populist views on Jews and gypsies and promising to give full employment and being anti communist the political powers decided to let him be chancellor and give him 'a go.'
    The rest is history.

• Advertisement

Poor oul Sean Gallagher who thought he'd be a shoe in this election especially with 'running mates' is being forgotten about.

What's with all these ex-dragons going for election?
    It's like they had too much to drink at a reunion and bet each other they wouldn't stand.

If ye haven't heard about this on RTE's Countrywide this morning the public have the chance to vote for their favourite Farming for Nature farmer 2018.

Farmer short list and chance to vote here.

https://www.farmingfornature.ie/awards/final-shortlist/

Csn anyone tell me why Presidential Elections are full Proportional Representation?
    Its not like we elect a vice-president.
    Or is there a quorum of votes/percentage of the vote which must be resched?

I'd love to see it, but only if it gets a wider distribution.
    I'm not driving 80 miles to see it in the Lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Hope to see it first I heard of it was on Matt Cooper radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Clear herd test today. That’s enough stress for one week.
    Only a week away from the marathon. Can’t wait for it now. Have great plans to go on a bit of a tear after it but it rarely happens. Chances are I will be in bed with aching legs early on Sunday night.......but you’d never know! ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,982 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Some rise in diesel price in the last few weeks. I pay monthly for it for the jeep and car, was shocked how much it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Clear herd test today. That’s enough stress for one week.
    Only a week away from the marathon. Can’t wait for it now. Have great plans to go on a bit of a tear after it but it rarely happens. Chances are I will be in bed with aching legs early on Sunday night.......but you’d never know! ��

Signs are up in Dublin already for it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement