Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Muckit wrote: »
    It that the one with Lady Gaga? Heard good reviews

That’s the one. I enjoyed it and I wasn’t expecting to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Calves fairly ploughing through the grass reserves here. Not lasting too long at all. Maybe another 2 weeks or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Calves fairly ploughing through the grass reserves here. Not lasting too long at all. Maybe another 2 weeks or so

Have you all the heavy cattle gone? A bit of extra ration will prolong your grazing as long as the weather holds. Still tho there's only a week left in October. Where were you this time last year? If you can get to the middle of November out of it you'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Getting it hard to stop ours scouring on it at this stage :(, even moved to old grass.
    Thinking of moving them to the yard on silage and then access to their winter paddock.

Heavier heifers still out and like you say, hoovering up covers bit very happy.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Have you all the heavy cattle gone? A bit of extra ration will prolong your grazing as long as the weather holds. Still tho there's only a week left in October. Where were you this time last year? If you can get to the middle of November out of it you'd be happy enough.

Yeah only light cattle left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What happens if you can't pay your tax bill? A lad was asking me this morning

whelan2 wrote: »

You have to wait till you can and then your hit with an interest penalty on top.

You have to wait till you can and then your hit with an interest penalty on top.

Nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

you do a PPA1, its like a payment plan

Interest rate about 10% I think . Its done on a daily rate depending on tax heading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭148multi

You can (if allowed) enter an informal agreement to pay x amount per month without penalty, with no assurances given by revenue not to take any action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Jesus the " sisters want sites" thread is becoming the biggest thread on the f and f forum for a long time. A lot of people with opinions and A lot of messers. I had to give up reading the comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

jimini0 wrote: »
    Jesus the " sisters want sites" thread is becoming the biggest thread on the f and f forum for a long time. A lot of people with opinions and A lot of messers. I had to give up reading the comments

It's like any farm. No interest from anyone untill there is easy money involved.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Was ignoring it until I noticed the amount of posts in the short apace of time & read it all there now. It's one of those threads that makes you question wtf goes on in some peoples heads & shows that sexism is alive and well in some troglodyte forms. Forms that wear old boots. Two of them to be specific :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Was ignoring it until I noticed the amount of posts in the short apace of time & read it all there now. It's one of those threads that makes you question wtf goes on in some peoples heads & shows that sexism is alive and well in some troglodyte forms. Forms that wear old boots. Two of them to be specific :pac:

Still trying to ignore it......... but what the actual feck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Too many words and not enough biochar in that thread for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Too many words and not enough biochar in that thread for me!!

Ah c'mon... It's an education!
    Like who knew what caused the famine? Having read about it I must have missed the fact that it was overpopulation!

Yeah I went away for 2 hours and there was 12 pages. Said to hell with that. Think we are attracting a few from After hours aswell I think

Yeah I went away for 2 hours and there was 12 pages. Said to hell with that. Think we are attracting a few from After hours aswell I think

I just avoided it after I read too old boots comments

I just avoided it after I read too old boots comments

What did too old boots say?
    I see little lady had enough and deleted account

What did too old boots say?
    I see little lady had enough and deleted account

Something about him ploughing and his daughter???

• Advertisement

Something about him ploughing and his daughter???

Dammit I'm goin to have to find that post now.

Dammit I'm goin to have to find that post now.

As long as you haven't disappeared along with that thread.
    Don't follow the light.

Edit: it's back again. :D

"Raising a daughter is like ploughing another man's field"

"Raising a daughter is like ploughing another man's field"

Wtf

He only writes that crap to get a reaction. Which he is getting

There's a good program about fish on RTE 1 now with Philip Boucher Hayes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

He only writes that crap to get a reaction. Which he is getting

Does make you wonder ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Double helping of nuts for Bob the dog tonight.
    Came home around 8ish and dog going mad around the car which was parked outside house all day. He was tearing to get under it. I started the car and put one front wheel up on footpath so he could get under it.
    After a bit I lifted the bonnet and I see a fine long tail disappearing down into the engine. I poured a few buckets of water down and after a bit he went for road. Got about 10 yrds before dog boned him. Gave him a few good squeezes and tossed him into the air several times. That'll teach the dirty fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Double helping of nuts for Bob the dog tonight.
    Came home around 8ish and dog going mad around the car which was parked outside house all day. He was tearing to get under it. I started the car and put one front wheel up on footpath so he could get under it.
    After a bit I lifted the bonnet and I see a fine long tail disappearing down into the engine. I poured a few buckets of water down and after a bit he went for road. Got about 10 yrds before dog boned him. Gave him a few good squeezes and tossed him into the air several times. That'll teach the dirty fecker.

Great year for rodents both mice and rats. Winter will see lots move indoors and into sheds etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Yeah only light cattle left.

Eating heavy covers here and I’ve about 14acs to regraze after I strip grazed it 3 weeks ago with the factory fit cattle it’ll be mid December at least if I get lucky weather wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Just turned on the telly and Michael D and two women are on dragons den.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A debate about turning up to the debate.. lord save us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mf240 wrote: »
    Just turned on the telly and Michael D and two women are on dragons den.

well " I'm out "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is That’s Farming down
    App not showing anything yesterday nor today

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

'Casey Casey you're the devil!'

• Advertisement

Lads and lassies of course , I had a very peculiar calving case this evening, was away out on an out farm at sheep and returned home just to finish up. Pulled down the yard where I could see the fields to check if there was anything bulling and said I'd throw an eye on the cows coming up for calving, even tho I wasn't expecting anything to calve judging by the springings etc I had observed earlier in the day. Anyway there was crubeens out. Big powerful Lm cow in calf to a ch I'd normally let her calve away but the crubeens were upside down looking so I figured the calf was coming backwards. Put her in handled her and yep they were the back legs. How the cow was very very heavy in the belly iykwim not fat at all but has had a massive belly like a cow with big twins in her.
    Long story short I jacked out the calf no bother plenty of room. Hung him just by hand to drain the fluid and a bit came out alright but the calf was strange. Like he was full of water. Really wobbly with a big gut. He was like jelly. Went to milk the cow to tube him. Would normally easily get the 3 litres of beastings off that cow but i got 100ml and twas a horrible greeny colour and kinda watery. The cow did leave out allot of fluid post calving so maybe she had a bit of a water belly. So am I looking at some kind of mineral deficiency? (They've had licks the last 3months) Or is it something a little more dangerous? Defrosted a few litres tubed him and put him under the lamp for the night, if he's still here in the morning I'll probably get the vet out to investigate.
    Twas a very strange case, anyone see anything like it before?

Sounds like a hydrops calf? Was the afterbirth/fluid around the calf strange in consistency? Like sticky/gloopy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lads and lassies of course , I had a very peculiar calving case this evening, was away out on an out farm at sheep and returned home just to finish up. Pulled down the yard where I could see the fields to check if there was anything bulling and said I'd throw an eye on the cows coming up for calving, even tho I wasn't expecting anything to calve judging by the springings etc I had observed earlier in the day. Anyway there was crubeens out. Big powerful Lm cow in calf to a ch I'd normally let her calve away but the crubeens were upside down looking so I figured the calf was coming backwards. Put her in handled her and yep they were the back legs. How the cow was very very heavy in the belly iykwim not fat at all but has had a massive belly like a cow with big twins in her.
    Long story short I jacked out the calf no bother plenty of room. Hung him just by hand to drain the fluid and a bit came out alright but the calf was strange. Like he was full of water. Really wobbly with a big gut. He was like jelly. Went to milk the cow to tube him. Would normally easily get the 3 litres of beastings off that cow but i got 100ml and twas a horrible greeny colour and kinda watery. The cow did leave out allot of fluid post calving so maybe she had a bit of a water belly. So am I looking at some kind of mineral deficiency? (They've had licks the last 3months) Or is it something a little more dangerous? Defrosted a few litres tubed him and put him under the lamp for the night, if he's still here in the morning I'll probably get the vet out to investigate.
    Twas a very strange case, anyone see anything like it before?

Often had it in lambs. If they are watery looking they usually dont do. Mayne she got a puck and threw the calf abit early.

Had the calf hair or was he small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Quick question, I registered a calf with the wrong sire, does anyone know how I can correct.....save me a call to the Dept!!! thanks, Mac

Sorry to bring this up again.........anyone any idea

She hadn't cleared by the time i left. I hadnt thought of hydrops atall. Ive never seen one only ever heard of it here actually. Of the fluid that do come out I didn't think it was that unusual tbh. Judging by the calfs teeth he is a bit ahead of time. But still 285 days since she was served.
    Grand size of a calf plenty of hair. I would have expected that cow to go at least another week to a ch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Form Er94b - is used if you need to have details on the database amended. You will need to send it to your DVO.
    4th down on the list.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/cattle/

She hadn't cleared by the time i left. I hadnt thought of hydrops atall. Ive never seen one only ever heard of it here actually. Of the fluid that do come out I didn't think it was that unusual tbh. Judging by the calfs teeth he is a bit ahead of time. But still 285 days since she was served.

Had one here, possibly two. I hadn't known the cow could be the issue & similar happened the following year with her calf. Just sounded very very similar to yours, fell in to calve very quick, no milk, lots of fluid, calf was 'bladdery' around the middle.
    Just on the greeny milk though, how is the cow, don't like the sound of it tbh, high temp could have caused her to throw the calf quick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

TITANIUM, sounds like Hydrops tome too. A genetic thing.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Had one here, possibly two. I hadn't known the cow could be the issue & similar happened the following year with her calf. Just sounded very very similar to yours, fell in to calve very quick, no milk, lots of fluid, calf was 'bladdery' around the middle.
    Just on the greeny milk though, how is the cow, don't like the sound of it tbh, high temp could have caused her to throw the calf quick.

I agree. I think your cow may be in trouble. A bit of a womb tear would cause an early birth, that milk don't sound great, check it again this morn and call the vet if your not happy.

Ya that had me scratching my head alright. She licked the calf a Bit but then just stood over him like a guarddog. I milked her out in the hope that something better would be there in the morning.
    If it is this hydrops is the calf a dead duck? And will I have to cull the cow? Can i test for it. She's a 7 year old cow, is it something that they can just pick up? If it's genetic would it not have tested it's head already?

Greysides can be more specific but from what I remember there's two types of hydrops. One that affects the cows placenta and one that affects the way a calf takes in the fluid so it's a calf abnormality.
    If it's the calf one the cow is generally not affected, though the calf is usually more deformed than what you have. It's also much more uncommon, though KatyMac on here had it in a cow before.
    There's not much you can do about it tonight so get some sleep and see what you have to work with in the morning!
    Fwiw, my cow with the hydrops calf calved at 7 months, calf was large dog sized, hairless, and we severed the cord before pulling it as he was 'incompatible with life' from the get go. Yours sounds more optimistic, though I've no idea how usual/unusual survivors of it are. The fact that it wasn't dead and didn't die getting tubed is better than marbh immediately. Cow was 6/7 years I think, had a perfectly normal calf for years beforehand.

Form er94b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Form er94b

I wonder can you add that as your signature? Or maybe change your name to it? :)

I wonder can you add that as your signature? Or maybe change your name to it? :)

Etched into my tombstone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

TITANIUM, as LH said, two types. Your calf could be poorly because although it may not be affected it was depending on faulty life support.
    The genetics are the result of a combination of bull and cow genes. Bad luck. The same parents might not ever have the same result again.
    It would make sense not to use the same again if possible.

The calf will be as the calf will be. My concern would be the mother as it's highly likely she will have trouble cleaning. Brilliant if she has. If she hasn't be aggressive in its treatment! The risk is metritis leading to peritonitis, septicaemia, knacker.

A number of cows will calve with the famer reporting just an unusually large amount of fluids so it's not all gloomy.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement