Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

greysides wrote: »
    TITANIUM, as LH said, two types. Your calf could be poorly because although it may not be affected it was depending on faulty life support.
    The genetics are the result of a combination of bull and cow genes. Bad luck. The same parents might not ever have the same result again.
    It would make sense not to use the same again if possible.

The calf will be as the calf will be. My concern would be the mother as it's highly likely she will have trouble cleaning. Brilliant if she has. If she hasn't be aggressive in its treatment! The risk is metritis leading to peritonitis, septicaemia, knacker.

A number of cows will calve with the famer reporting just an unusually large amount of fluids so it's not all gloomy.

Cheers Greysides, I'm a Bit more hopeful this morning. The feed and night under the lamp seem to have perked him up a Bit and at least he had life back in his limbs. He was bellowing for the cow and trying to stand at 7 this morning. He managed to stand in the back legs which I was very surprised with.
    The cow is anxious enough trying to get back into him. She had cleared some bit anyway. About a third of the size I'd expect. But sure she could have gobbled the rest of it for all I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We've a farm here divided by a road that we cross to graze the cows on the other side.
    But during the last six months or so my folks who get the job of stopping traffic and directing the cows across have been wondering why some cars when stopped decide to turn around and go back the road they came from. Now the road would be blocked a minute and a half or two minutes max. But still they were wondering what was going on?

I pointed out that it's the IQ of drivers reducing with the reliance on technology.

If you didn't get that, the inference is "Angry Sat Navs".

Drivers drive up to the folks stopping them. The sat nav shouts, turn around now and directs them down either two single carriageway bodhrins where if they do meet someone they'll be more than two minutes waiting and these bodhrins are two miles longer.
    Meanwhile the patient driver who waited is after getting the opportunity to view a fine herd of cows while listening to southeast radio and is not driving down potholed ridden bodhrins and has reached their destination before their technological informed fellow drivers.

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Perhaps they see the road blocked and are getting the cows confused with the pigs!

Muckit wrote: »
    Perhaps they see the road blocked and are getting the cows confused with the pigs!

This is one of those times Muckit that I hope you mean the law!... ;):D

Nope it's younger male drivers and it's usually when they see the first cow on the road that they say "Feck this" and turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Slightly off topic doing rigid lessons at the moment.one thing I have noticed in driving is patience and road manners are gone. People just keep driving up to you and then just stop in front of you. You can’t reverse because of cars behind you can’t pull in because of cars on your left. Then you get the “look OK I Will REVERSE”
    Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Well my first official farm payment is in.... Guess I'm a real farmer now :D

https://youtu.be/kY9EX28GKvk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

We've a farm here divided by a road that we cross to graze the cows on the other side.
    But during the last six months or so my folks who get the job of stopping traffic and directing the cows across have been wondering why some cars when stopped decide to turn around and go back the road they came from. Now the road would be blocked a minute and a half or two minutes max. But still they were wondering what was going on?

I pointed out that it's the IQ of drivers reducing with the reliance on technology.

If you didn't get that, the inference is "Angry Sat Navs".

Drivers drive up to the folks stopping them. The sat nav shouts, turn around now and directs them down either two single carriageway bodhrins where if they do meet someone they'll be more than two minutes waiting and these bodhrins are two miles longer.
    Meanwhile the patient driver who waited is after getting the opportunity to view a fine herd of cows while listening to southeast radio and is not driving down potholed ridden bodhrins and has reached their destination before their technological informed fellow drivers.

:):)

Are you one of the lads causing all that trouble on that new motorway outside the Corthy??;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

It's also much more uncommon, though KatyMac on here had it in a cow before.
    I still haven't forgotten that job either! There were at least 3 calves or bits of calf in her, all in a horrible jumble of limbs - 2 about dog sized and another not much more than a glob of jelly. We knew she was sick few days before she calved - she was huge and the vet saw her, she was full of water. At the calving the amount of fluid that came away was unbelievable.
    My vet told me to get rid of the cow once she was over the calving as it was genetic. I fattened her and gave her the road, she was only 4 years old. I have a full sister of hers and every time she comes close to calving the old ghost will rise in my head.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Are you one of the lads causing all that trouble on that new motorway outside the Corthy??;)

I wouldn't be as well organised.

You wouldn't get a mouse past those blockades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

It is 1 year today since Dad passed away. It's been the toughest year on so many levels, not sure how he would have managed the farm with this years unusual weather, but I think I've managed it OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How long after a cow calves can you coil her?
    Is it best scanning pre mating too?
    Trying to tighten up Autumn calves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are you going to use ai or a bull? Years since I used them but I think there wasn't much point before 42 days.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You could pre scan just to find out if there are any problems.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are you going to use ai or a bull? Years since I used them but I think there wasn't much point before 42 days.
    Was thinking 35-40 days, will leave 6 weeks
    Going AI but might give a young bull the chance to mount 1 or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Depends how urgently you want to tighten the calving period, how much money you want to spend and how low a conception rate to first service you will accept. You could put it in as early as 30-35 days calved. Would strongly recommend GnRH(Receptal) or eCG/PMSG(Folligon) injection the same day you insert your PRID if going that early. Conception rate will be lower the closer to 30 days you insert it. The longer you wait past 40-45 days the less likely you need the extra injection as cow may have already started cycling herself silently. Your vet should be able to give you a program to suit depending on what you decide.

Just be careful not to synchronise too many at the same time if using a young bull for repeats as if 3-4 cows repeat on the same day he will be overworked.

• Advertisement

Herself has "Finding Joy" on.

I see ths Bord Bia man is in it..... " it's all down to the rain!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Herself has "Finding Joy" on.

I see ths Bord Bia man is in it..... " it's all down to the rain!!"

& 2 bags of 18/6/12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

& 2 bags of 18/6/12.

I could be wrong but is he slicing a ham aswell in it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

whelan2 wrote: »
    Form er94b

Thanks a mill whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see Sinead O'Connor has converted to Islam. Her new name is Shuhada Davitt. That's nice.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I see Sinead O'Connor has converted to Islam. Her new name is Shuhada Davitt. That's nice.

A unique talent in that lady, it’s sad to see her so troubled mentally down through the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I get two free silage samples done with the green cert. So trying to figure out which bale is from which field in relation to the pile & the order I brought them in :pac: Never got it done before so I'll be like a child waiting for Christmas to get the results. When did I become so old and uncool! :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Voting done for the PC brigade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I says wrote: »

well holy god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

I says wrote: »

Now, would that be "Politically Correct" or "Peter Casey" ? They could be polar opposites

It's ok, don't answer:)

I'm glad you are finding course interesting LHW. It's nice to indulge in the sciencey bits for a change.

I'm sure you're father will be throwing his eyes to heaven whrn he hears you relaying what you've learned!:D

I'm glad you are finding course interesting LHW. It's nice to indulge in the sciencey bits for a change.

I'm sure you're father will be throwing his eyes to heaven whrn he hears you relaying what you've learned!:D

If I find a topic interesting, I can regurgitate what I hear almost word for word (my eyes glaze over if I find it boring, so unfortunate :pac:) so he gets a crash course in the days learning after I do it. Tbh it helps me to remember it as well as I've to explain it all again for him.

Anyway, have two cattle for the mart tomorrow, a bull & a heifer. Heifer is in heat today, noticed her tail out from her this morning too. The bull is mid-Feb, so is it possible he'd have bulled her but still not be fertile to cover her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

If I find a topic interesting, I can regurgitate what I hear almost word for word (my eyes glaze over if I find it boring, so unfortunate :pac:) so he gets a crash course in the days learning after I do it. Tbh it helps me to remember it as well as I've to explain it all again for him.

Anyway, have two cattle for the mart tomorrow, a bull & a heifer. Heifer is in heat today, noticed her tail out from her this morning too. The bull is mid-Feb, so is it possible he'd have bulled her but still not be fertile to cover her?

Well even if he is fertile, serving the heifer today, by the time ovulation, fertilisation and implantation occurs, it will be well into tomorrow, and you would be well within your right declaring the heifer is not pregnant.....erm

You could say she must have been served at the mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

If she was a pedigree that you had been trying to get in calf she won't hold
    But if a commercial she will be in the club
    If she shows up in calf it won't matter when she was bullied you may take her back.
    Give her at least 7 days and inject her
    It not worth the aggro

• Advertisement

I'd not like to sell her if i think it's possible she's incalf, am not the sort of person to try & pull a fast one!!
    Would it be silly to bring her and see who buys her? I know most of the men from working in the marts so can find him & speak to them after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'd not like to sell her if i think it's possible she's incalf, am not the sort of person to try & pull a fast one!!
    Would it be silly to bring her and see who buys her? I know most of the men from working in the marts so can find him & speak to them after.

could ya tell the buyer she was in heat yday and to inject and give them luck to cover the cost

ganmo wrote: »
    could ya tell the buyer she was in heat yday and to inject and give them luck to cover the cost

That's kinda the way I was thinking, give them the option to throw her up/take her with luck once they know the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's Murphy's Law isn't it. The amount of times I would have bulls to sell and the morning of the sale one of the heifers or cows would be bulling all night. The bulls would be all ragged and tired looking.
    Would u keep her for another 3 weeks and see?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

That's kinda the way I was thinking, give them the option to throw her up/take her with luck once they know the facts.

What about inject before loading for the mart, would that work?

Have not injected, is there effects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Off to the point tonight tonight for John Fogerty and Steve Miller. Should have booked in somewhere, it’ll be a long drive home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Off to the point tonight tonight for John Fogerty and Steve Miller. Should have booked in somewhere, it’ll be a long drive home

Still time to book

What about inject before loading for the mart, would that work?

Have not injected, is there effects?

Think you have to wait 10 days after service

Reggie. wrote: »
    Still time to book

Red Cow used to be good

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Still time to book

Herself working at 12 and my sister in law is minding my 2 along with her three so we’ll tip away down.

It took 45mims for the last 11km and no major traffic. Dunno how lads do it daily.

Herself working at 12 and my sister in law is minding my 2 along with her three so we’ll tip away down.

It took 45mims for the last 11km and no major traffic. Dunno how lads do it daily.

Yeah it's torture at times

Tail down from that heifer now and back to normal. I'll bring her & see how she fares. If she sells I'll let the buyer know the story, & if he still wants her with a bit of luck back to him. If she doesn't show heat in 3 weeks we'll take her back then. Reckon that's the best way to go about it.

We ended up eating a dinner opposite the 3arena and had a really tasty meal. Place was called reds I think- beside Eddie rockets (empty pockets)

The Steve Miller band was great - oh said they were good but not worth the admission but was ok when I told her they were the warm up act.

We ended up eating a dinner opposite the 3arena and had a really tasty meal. Place was called reds I think- beside Eddie rockets (empty pockets)

The Steve Miller band was great - oh said they were good but not worth the admission but was ok when I told her they were the warm up act.
    Good stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm well jealous. John Fogerty should be brilliant.

• Advertisement

I'm well jealous. John Fogerty should be brilliant.

Is he one of the CCR crowd ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is he one of the CCR crowd ?

That's the lad.

That's the lad.

A great band , that would be well worth the listen alright

Post edit:

Had such an amazing time. Really glad I got the tickets on my oh behalf for my birthday.

Glad we agreed that I drink also. Save me the drive home. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Was asked to supervise at the teenage disco in the local rugby club last night

By jasus the younger female generation are a hardy breed.:eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement