Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm just back from 18 days study tour in New Zealand, visited 17 or 18 farms in the full length of the country, briliant tour. We were on dairy, sheep and suckler farms, another well known boardsie was on the trip as well. most of the farmers we visited were irish
    Most farmers entertained with tea/coffee and food in their homes and two had barbeques for us
    Absolutely knackered now, it took 30 hrs to get home of which 27 was in a plane.
    It was a great opportunity to get.
    The organsation of the whole trip was absolutely faultless......probably be cause it was done voluntary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    I'm just back from 18 days study tour in New Zealand, visited 17 or 18 farms in the full length of the country, briliant tour. We were on dairy, sheep and suckler farms, another well known boardsie was on the trip as well. most of the farmers we visited were irish
    Most farmers entertained with tea/coffee and food in their homes and two had barbeques for us
    Absolutely knackered now, it took 30 hrs to get home of which 27 was in a plane.
    The organsation of the whole trip was absolutely faultless......probably be cause it was done voluntary
    If you were 30 years younger would you be tempted to..

If you were 30 years younger would you be tempted to..

Indeed you would be tempted, but we probably only met the top farmers,
    A young guy, mid thirties from monaghan with his own 600 cows in a share farming situation, another young guy from athenry with his own 350 cows share framing.....They work very hard.
    I'm sure plenty failed.
    It looked to be a lovely lifestyle, and country....very friendly people

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

A young guy, mid thirties from monaghan with his own 600 cows in a share farming situation, another young guy from athenry with his own 350 cows share framing.....They work very hard.
    I'm sure plenty failed.

I was out there twice in the 2000s. While there were loads of positives to the place, which were all regularlyhear about. There was a few things that cropped up when doing a few farm visits that were very negative too.

The work and commitment from a husband and wife team in a share milking situation was monumental and allowed for no "life" outside of the farm for years and years. The wife on one farm said her first 2 babies were reared in the milking parlour.
    Social isolation was a big problem and i don't know has it got any better. 80% Students we talked to loved the place, loved the experience but the social life consisted of every 2nd week, visting the neighbours farm with students/hired help and filling a calf trough with ice and filling it with cans.

The outwintering is one thing that got everyone on my tour back then. We coud see why cows were outwintered on outside blocks. Mud flowing like lava out gaps and yes, we saw it entering water courses.

I worked there for 3 months in the NZ summer in the 1990s and would have said we were wasting our time in ireland, but there is good and bad to every place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I'm sure plenty failed.

Glad you met the Monaghan lad, he's as genuine as they come.
    The big difference between here and NZ is that a farmer will up and move farm if a better place comes available, at the drop of a hat.
    The tax situation helps too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I knew well I spotted ya in that photo along with P.H

Reggie. wrote: »
    I knew well I spotted ya in that photo along with P.H

Yea, hard to avoid it, house left empty here so avoided photos as much as I could.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Glad you met the Monaghan lad, he's as genuine as they come.
    The big difference between here and NZ is that a farmer will up and move farm if a better place comes available, at the drop of a hat.
    The tax situation helps too.

I was surprised at his mobility, his contract is only three years. all contracts seem to cease on 1st june and that's referred to as ''Gypsy day''.
    He seemed very sound and his bank sponsored a barbeque fro us so I told him he either owed them too much or nothing :D
    Adam Woods from the IFJ was with us and has done some videos of the trip on twitter, hope he does more

The whole of the Mount Leinster range is on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Ah it's only mount leinster seems to be three spots on the Bunclody side
    That's the problem with over regulation in regard to burning people just say feck it and start a uncontrolled burn rather that trying to get all the regulations covered.
    Getting enough people to run a controlled burn might be a issue too.
    Better now than in the spring though.

• Advertisement

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Ah it's only mount leinster seems to be three spots on the Bunclody side
    That's the problem with over regulation in regard to burning people just say feck it and start a uncontrolled burn rather that trying to get all the regulations covered.
    Getting enough people to run a controlled burn might be a issue too.
    Better now than in the spring though.
    Fairly big looking from my viewpoint.

With this dry weather it'll be days burning and spreading now I'd say.

Some glow in the clouds from it.

Well you are a good be nearer than me! yes it will burn for a while right enough.
    is it near to any forestry?

Well you are a good be nearer than me! yes it will burn for a while right enough.
    is it near to any forestry?

It's hard to know if it's near the forestry in the dark but I think it's not far from it.
    Hopefully the breaks hold up.

(Which direction do I have to turn to see you?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

It's hard to know if it's near the forestry in the dark but I think it's not far from it.
    Hopefully the breaks hold up.

(Which direction do I have to turn to see you?)

Around,

He's behind you!!!

TITANIUM. wrote:
    He's behind you!!!

I'm not far from the second most famous hill in North Wexford

Vinegar hill? My wexford geography is a bit sketchy!

TITANIUM. wrote: »

That's the famous one.

Jeremy Hill is the second famous.

Nah maybe its more famous than I thought!!

I have ya.

Well have the hill...:p

That's the famous one.

Jeremy Hill is the second famous.

Ah the pilot.

Thank you google

• Advertisement

Ah the pilot.

Thank you google

There's a big monument on his hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Is there as much burning done as before on the mountains? Used to be every 2/3 years back in the day.

Is there as much burning done as before on the mountains? Used to be every 2/3 years back in the day.

None this year at all.
    Or really last year?

Thought the person who was starting the fires every year must have popped their clogs.
    But they have a new sheep group set up now for the Blackstairs and an ecological or farming advisor employed so maybe that has something to do with it.

There used to be a lot of burning done in late April early May but that hasn't been as troublesome of late.
    I was/am part of a grouse restoration project on the Blackstairs and getting the burning done correctly and at the right time of year was always the problem.
    Some of the old boys always did things the way they were done and it was hard to change their minds.
    It is hard to achieve a patch work quilt effect when the whole mountain is burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

any success with the grouse restoration, sounds like a very interesting project

We have had success to an extent but on a small scale. It's a very large area and requires a lot of predator control and habitat management.
    We had a count around the "red van" two years ago and counted 24 grouse. There is no shooting of course but it's a slow process to build numbers.
    The original collapse was caused by a large fire that killed a lot of birds on the nest and hunger thinned out the numbers of the remainder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The cow which arrived last Sunday is too quiet! Have the calf standing quiet in the crush, enjoying being fussed over & scratched with a loose rope on. While the cow is standing behind her licking my face :pac:

Went to tax my jeep online, was told it couldn't be done so went to the local council office to tax it.......only to be told it had been scrapped, It only went through the test three weeks ago,....... great country we live in!!!!!!!! :confused:

Ah they thought you had emigrated simple mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The cow which arrived last Sunday is too quiet! Have the calf standing quiet in the crush, enjoying being fussed over & scratched with a loose rope on. While the cow is standing behind her licking my face :pac:
    That's better than trying to wrestle with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That's better than trying to wrestle with them

Will tell you how she goes once tied up! Can be a pain if they're too timid, no pull in them to train themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Waiting on a load of concrete, ordered a week ago to make sure we would get it on time the right day and he's an hour and a half late already.

You'd wonder why you bothered:(

Went to tax my jeep online, was told it couldn't be done so went to the local council office to tax it.......only to be told it had been scrapped, It only went through the test three weeks ago,....... great country we live in!!!!!!!! :confused:

How can they scrap it?

Reggie. wrote: »
    How can they scrap it?

You'd imagine they'd have to contact me before they'd write it off as it had never been transferrred out of my name.
    They wouldn't tax it today but said I'd get a tax disc when it was sorted

You'd imagine they'd have to contact me before they'd write it off as it had never been transferrred out of my name.

Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Waiting on a load of concrete, ordered a week ago to make sure we would get it on time the right day and he's an hour and a half late already.

Did it arrive yet ? Unless its first thing I find they can come early or late in the middle of the day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did it arrive yet ? Unless its first thing I find they can come early or late in the middle of the day .

Arrived at 3 finally so nearly half of the cubicles done now. We may have then in by Christmas yet:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wwfassets/downloads/lpr2018_summary_report_spreads.pdf

Summary of the Living Planet Report, jez it’s grim reading with 60% of wild animals lost since 1970.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭I says

Effing private sector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was in casualty most of the night last night, thankfully there's a separate kids one. The noise of drunk people was crazy. When I was leaving to come home to milk I met 3 lads drinking cans heading in to casualty. No security at the door. I pity anyone working there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/wwfassets/downloads/lpr2018_summary_report_spreads.pdf

Summary of the Living Planet Report, jez it’s grim reading with 60% of wild animals lost since 1970.

Yeah - I remember a few years ago David Attenborugh went back to areas where he filmed in the 50's and 60's and was shocked by the scale of the destruction to the extent where his crew couldn't find some of the places such was the damage wrought. I fear for future generations where the only wildlife left will be the likes of rats and cockroaches if we don't cop on as a species:(

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Is this an administrative error or did someone close your jeep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Is this an administrative error or did someone close your jeep?

More than likely a fat finger hitting 6 instead of 5, easy mistake.

Oddly, I also couldn’t tax my Jeep yesterday or today, tis rare that I do it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah - I remember a few years ago David Attenborugh went back to areas where he filmed in the 50's and 60's and was shocked by the scale of the destruction to the extent where his crew couldn't find some of the places such was the damage wrought. I fear for future generations where the only wildlife left will be the likes of rats and cockroaches if we don't cop on as a species:(

Future generations will look back and ask how come so little was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Birdnuts wrote: »

Food security will be the foremost thing on people’s minds I reckon...
    If the likes of Brazil continue their current practices, they will find it hard to feed their own people, let alone be the exporting Agri powerhouse it is at the minute, desertification of stripped rain-forests will decimate large swathes of farmland worldwide in the next 20 years....
    Cheap food could become a thing of the past very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Food security will be the foremost thing on people’s minds I reckon...
    If the likes of Brazil continue their current practices, they will find it hard to feed their own people, let alone be the exporting Agri powerhouse it is at the minute, desertification of stripped rain-forests will decimate large swathes of farmland worldwide in the next 20 years....
    Cheap food could become a thing of the past very quickly

People don’t realize how cheap their food is.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

yeah think spuds will go mad later over the drought we picked everything this year as he reckons seed will go through the roof - plp will go mad in jan if they go to 12euro a bag again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    yeah think spuds will go mad later over the drought we picked everything this year as he reckons seed will go through the roof - plp will go mad in jan if they go to 12euro a bag again

And people migjt keep some food spuds as seed making them even scarcer

Odelay wrote: »
    More than likely a fat finger hitting 6 instead of 5, easy mistake.

Oddly, I also couldn’t tax my Jeep yesterday or today, tis rare that I do it...

Couldn't tax ours either

That was a long milking . I have the vomiting bug now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement