Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    That was a long milking . I have the vomiting bug now.
    Take it easy for the day, as much as you can anyway. And plenty of fluids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If ya were a calf I’d say Sulpha powders and electrolytes.

As kids we got flat 7up, or Lucozade if it was a bad dose.

Take it easy and drink plenty, might be an evening to get someone in to do a milking for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I have tonsillitis-miserable out at the moment. My Family are either whispering at me or shouting at me(my voice is gone!!). Drs have finally agreed to take them out. I feel for you whelan it's miserable being sick :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

L1985 wrote: »
    I have tonsillitis-miserable out at the moment. My Family are either whispering at me or shouting at me(my voice is gone!!). Drs have finally agreed to take them out. I feel for you whelan it's miserable being sick :(

Thankfully this day is nearly over. Off to bed with 7up. Feel sorry for the kids as halloween wasn't as good as other years for them. Will do colcannon tomorrow. Look after yoursrlf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Hope we don't see slurry tankers out and about tomorrow. We've been really lucky to get such an extension and the most extraordinary weather.

Contractor passed up here an hour ago with an agitator on the back. Really hope this is not for spreading at this stage. We have no defence to a bad name at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

alps wrote: »
    Hope we don't see slurry tankers out and about tomorrow. We've been really lucky to get such an extension and the most extraordinary weather.

Contractor passed up here an hour ago with an agitator on the back. Really hope this is not for spreading at this stage. We have no defence to a bad name at this stage..

Are dairy washings still ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

einn32 wrote: »
    Are dairy washings still ok?

Yes, but there are certain restrictions. The most important one is that they are in a separate tank to the slurry, and that tank has a 10 day capacity.

Not sure about the 10 days...that may be old reg..

The dairy washings tank contents can be applied to land
    during the closed period provided that the tank contains
    only dairy washings, excreta from the milking parlour and
    wash down from the collection area. It can only be applied
    when ground and weather conditions are suitable.

So is today the first day of winter or the first day of the last month of autumn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

So is today the first day of winter or the first day of the last month of autumn?

Officially the first day of winter. Unless you are a meteorologist :D (you'd think they'd know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

emaherx wrote: »
    Officially the first day of winter. Unless you are a meteorologist :D (you'd think they'd know)

The thermometer says it’s winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

The sun glare in the evenings makes driving very difficult, especially on back roads. Came around a corner and had to stop, couldn’t see a thing, worried there would be walkers with dogs and kids as they are normally out at that time. Seems worse this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Odelay wrote: »
    Seems worse this year.

Yea.
    That’s called ageing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea.
    That’s called ageing!

No! .... but yes, getting older and crankier... in my day everything was better:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bringing a bag of meal in a gate this evening and a 2 month heifer on the other side kicked back at the gate. The top bar caught me right across the mouth. 2 split lips and sore teeth. If she was any bigger she would have broken some. For the size of her, she had some force in her kick. So easy get hurt on a farm.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bringing a bag of meal in a gate this evening and a 2 month heifer on the other side kicked back at the gate. The top bar caught me right across the mouth. 2 split lips and sore teeth. If she was any bigger she would have broken some. For the size of her, she had some force in her kick. So easy get hurt on a farm.

If you were Vegan you'd have a broken neck and be in hospital by now.

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/nutrit/nuy045/5146363

Small mercies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    The thermometer says it’s winter
    Feck what the thermometer says.
    I follow the Seasons that my forebearers did as in the Solstice's and Equinoxes. As farmers we deal with the weather whatever it throws our way :)

If you were Vegan you'd have a broken neck and be in hospital by now.

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/nutrit/nuy045/5146363

Small mercies. :)
    As an aside I heard earlier on the wireless that today is World Vegan day. When I got home (this evening) to the laptop and associated abysmal internet connection I checked on the Boards veggie/vegan forum and not a twit of a mention of it :confused:
    There's nowt as queer as (some) folk.

Base price wrote: »
    As an aside I heard earlier on the wireless that today is World Vegan day. When I got home (this evening) to the laptop and associated abysmal internet connection I checked on the Boards veggie/vegan forum and not a twit of a mention of it :confused:

Shush don't tell em.

When's World appreciate a farmer Day?

• Advertisement

Feck what the thermometer says.
    I follow the Seasons that my forebearers did as in the Solstice's and Equinoxes. As farmers we deal with the weather whatever it throws our way :)

You'll be preaching the teachings of Rudolf Steiner next. :)

Did you go hunting today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ciara Kelly had some vegan evangalist on her show, and give him more or less free reign to preach his gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly had some vegan evangalist on her show, and give him more or less free reign to preach his gospel.

There was another on Ivan Yates, but she didn't get the same freedom. Actually, she didn't go all preachy or ranting at all. Seemed reasonable enough in her thoughts - she's vegan for reasons, but if yer not then that's fine by her too. Can't see her lasting on the vegan circuit with that attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Still Autumn for me - stats show February to be a considerably colder and snowier month than the averge November. Though the latter is usually considerably wetter most years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There was another on Ivan Yates, but she didn't get the same freedom. Actually, she didn't go all preachy or ranting at all. Seemed reasonable enough in her thoughts - she's vegan for reasons, but if yer not then that's fine by her too. Can't see her lasting on the vegan circuit with that attitude!

I heard a little of the lady on Ivans show, she admitted that a more reasoned approch and a gradual "wearing down" was the way to convert meat eaters!
    Of course, Ivan had a tillage farmer to give the contrary viewpoint.

The lad on Ciara's show claimed that the expierence in India, where cows are sacred, showed that they can carry on breeding and existing peaceably in coexistance with humans.
    He didn't mention that bison are used for meat in many parts of India, and of course chicken, lamb and goat is widely eaten.
    Nor did he mention that more than 10,000 were killed by trains in the last year of full records, plus however many were hit by trucks and cars.

Did you go hunting today?
    Nope, I didn't get out today and this is the first year since I was a youngster that I haven't hunted on the first of November. TBH we're flat out feeding calves and the older stock. Anyway there are feck all pheasants around here now - some say it's due to pine martins and buzzards.

Having said that I'm heading back home to NCD tomorrow with my dogs and gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nope, I didn't get out today and this is the first year since I was a youngster that I haven't hunted on the first of November. TBH we're flat out feeding calves and the older stock. Anyway there are feck all pheasants around here now - some say it's due to pine martins and buzzards.

Having said that I'm heading back home to NCD tomorrow with my dogs and gun.

Working in North Kilare atm(Naas area) and plenty of pheasants about(and buzzards;)) - dry summer helped but land use is the biggest factor. Modern winter tillage and Dairy just don't hold birds as there is little for them to forage on and lack of natural cover is also an issue. Biggest numbers always on mixed farmland with small woods, spring tillage and rough pasture... pretty much the same pattern for most farmland birds

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Working in North Kilare atm(Naas area) and plenty of pheasants about(and buzzards;)) - dry summer helped but land use is the biggest factor. Modern winter tillage and Dairy just don't hold birds as there is little for them to forage on and lack of natural cover is also an issue. Biggest numbers always on mixed farmland with small woods, spring tillage and rough pasture... pretty much the same pattern for most farmland birds
    My Grandparents land in Longford always held hen pheasants and their offspring were always hunted. I remember standing as a childer by my Grandad's side while his Llewellyn setter covered the land.

My eldest brother and I inherited the same land from our Uncle and we've done nothing to change it other than improving boundary fences/ditches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

My Grandparents land in Longford always held hen pheasants and their offspring were always hunted. I remember standing as a childer by my Grandad's side while his Llewellyn setter covered the land.

My eldest brother and I inherited the same land from our Uncle and we've done nothing to change it other than improving boundary fences/ditches.

I dont doubt you have not changed anything but we as farmers have changed farming practices. Bale silage replaced hay we have sprayed insecticides on our corn crops and replaced ditches with a single strand of high tensile wire.
    We as farmers are not entirely to blame but as a whole we bare some responsibility. The buzzards and pine martins are just the tipping point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Where looking to get a simple shed up here and a price on pouring concrete in the same Area.

We cant even seem to get lads to price the job, never mind getting them to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Where looking to get a simple shed up here and a price on pouring concrete in the same Area.

We cant even seem to get lads to price the job, never mind getting them to do the job.

Shed men around here are flat out doing jobs that should have been done while cows were still along way from coming in. I suppose plenty lads put off any projects till things returned to normal after the drough

Lads are flat out round here as well. I had a lad asked since April to put in cubicles and every time I asked, he'd be on next month. I finally got sick of waiting and a local lad is helping me with the job.

Stay asking is about the only advice I can give and ask around the area, you'd be surprised the names you might get of someone who could do your job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Jesus I was just woken up by the rain walloping off the roof and a fair wind howling. Sounds pretty nasty out there. It's made some amount of rain down here this week. This weekend will see allot of cattle housed I'd say. Might aswell stay up at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭148multi

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Jesus I was just woken up by the rain walloping off the roof and a fair wind howling. Sounds pretty nasty out there. It's made some amount of rain down here this week. This weekend will see allot of cattle housed I'd say. Might aswell stay up at this stage

First rain here at 5 yesterday evening, plenty of wind now, not much rain luckily.

Chimney after being cleaned. First fire of the season lit :)

Today is World Toilet Day.

Very important for anyone who got carried away on Thursday.

Today is World Toilet Day.

Very important for anyone who got carried away on Thursday.

Well crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone hear from the Charolais sale in Tullamore
    Twitter was good for the last sales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Chimney after being cleaned. First fire of the season lit :)

Lit the stove for the first time this year today too. Only turned the central heating back on 4 weeks ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Lit the stove for the first time this year today too. Only turned the central heating back on 4 weeks ago too.

Been lighting the stove for the last month I’d say at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Been lighting the stove for the last month I’d say at least.

Well you haven't much "natural" insulation anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well you haven't much "natural" insulation anyways

tumblr_inline_pe8r8hk5BM1qezdsy_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

tumblr_inline_pe8r8hk5BM1qezdsy_500.gif

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Reggie. wrote: »
    :D

We light our fire most days (heatwave included!!!) but it has to be lit to heat the water. Of course we could just put on the oil but shure that'd be wasteful. Hour or two of a fire gives enough hot water for the day.
    Not even started the oil in the mornings yet, though it'll prob go on next week.

• Advertisement

Do many get the flu jab?

Do many get the flu jab?
    Every year, without fail. Recommended for diabetics and those with compromised immune systems and older folks. I may qualify on all those areas:D

I end up running very low blood sugars for 24 hours afterwards most times but I've had no sign of any flu with donkeys years, thankfully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I must head off for a jab this week too, sniffling with a head cold today.

OH came home with a beanie hat with a built in headlight yesterday

http://www.thegadgetstore.ie/user/products/large/brighti-beanie-hat-with-light-gadget.png

She wouldn't give me an honest answer but I suspect it was somewhere between €10-20. It wouldn't be good enough to read eartags in the dark but it's better than using a phone for a torch.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I must head off for a jab this week too, sniffling with a head cold today.

OH came home with a beanie hat with a built in headlight yesterday

http://www.thegadgetstore.ie/user/products/large/brighti-beanie-hat-with-light-gadget.png

She wouldn't give me an honest answer but I suspect it was somewhere between €10-20. It wouldn't be good enough to read eartags in the dark but it's better than using a phone for a torch.

usb rechargeable too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Do many get the flu jab?

Yes occupational hazard

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement