Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do many get the flu jab?

Have been getting it for the last 15 years and never got the flu so it's win win for €20 - €30.
    Got a proper flu 15 years ago and swore I'd never let it happen again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well you haven't much "natural" insulation anyways

Ah sure look.
    I’m not complaining!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Here is a business idea for someone ( or maybe it already exists!). A way to turn off the mains fence when you are 6bfiekds away and see a problem! Saves fiddling with a stick some insulation in your pocket and getting a shock anyway!! Or walking back and forward twice to fix the problem.....Could you get a smart plug or something....would that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

^ I'm pretty sure there is something that turns it off at the connection into the field. Though I'm sure one of those fancy schmancy plugs that can be controlled by your phone would do the job too, though you'd need wifi at the mains fencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Stupid question. Do I need to take this tree out of it? This field has been in grass for years. I'm nearly sure it's a Yew tree. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whilst it will be mild it looks like a good bit of rain for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

L1985 wrote: »
    Here is a business idea for someone ( or maybe it already exists!). A way to turn off the mains fence when you are 6bfiekds away and see a problem! Saves fiddling with a stick some insulation in your pocket and getting a shock anyway!! Or walking back and forward twice to fix the problem.....Could you get a smart plug or something....would that work?

Yeah there's one that works off your phone I believe. Something like electric gates

Yeah there's one that works off your phone I believe. Something like electric gates

Is there not something like a cut off/isolation switch that stops the current at a boundary? I know there's definitely one you work off the phone but it's expensive enough.

Here's one from Cheetah €24.
    http://cheetah.ie/product/cut-out-switch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's an inbuilt switch on the newish Pel fencers. Where you just touch the fence with a handheld controller to turn the fence off. Touch the fence again to turn it on.

• Advertisement

Is there not something like a cut off/isolation switch that stops the current at a boundary? I know there's definitely one you work off the phone but it's expensive enough.

Just a normal hanger would do it I suppose

There's an inbuilt switch on the newish Pel fencers. Where you just touch the fence with a handheld controller to turn the fence off. Touch the fence again to turn it on.

Oh fancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Oh fancy

It's a fancy add on price too for the controller.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Stupid question. Do I need to take this tree out of it? This field has been in grass for years. I'm nearly sure it's a Yew tree. Thanks.

I does look a bit like Yew but I'm not convinced. Ask on the Forestry Forum. Yews may be carrying loads of red berries at the moment. If it's in a field where livestock have been I doubt it's Yew as every part of it is deadly toxic to livestock and no one would plant one there. That's the reason you see them mainly in old graveyards or in the gardens of old estates.

465353.jpg

It might be a Hemlock instead.

tscan1050386.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

So I don't have An amazing idea that will make me rich??
    I think the wifi plug would work actually as we would have wifi there. The other options are a no as god knows how many connectors I would have to disconnect and some fields have two sources which makes it trickier and more potentially hazardous!! However I must look at those plugs as it's a pain the backside sometimes walking back to the fencer!!

I think the wifi plug would work actually as we would have wifi there. The other options are a no as god knows how many connectors I would have to disconnect and some fields have two sources which makes it trickier and more potentially hazardous!! However I must look at those plugs as it's a pain the backside sometimes walking back to the fencer!!

Keep working on it

Keep working on it

I know suckler farming!!! That will make me rich!!!wait a minute...maybneed a new plan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

There are loads of wifi or GSM options for turning on/off fences (or anything else with a plug).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Looks like Yew alright - strange to have it out in a field since I've rarely seen them outside of graveyards/church grounds. Away from that it is extremely rare in the wild, found only on some rocky lake islands in the West. I wonder does it mark the site of some old religious site:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

If you got a lopping sheers and took a small branch and look at the cross section. Yew has white outer rings and reddish inner rings. It’s a beautiful wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

If you got a lopping sheets and took a small branch and look at the cross section. Yew has white outer rings and reddish inner rings. It’s a beautiful wood.

Good thinking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Traditional English longbows are self bows made from yew wood i.e. the bow being made out of just one wood and not being laminated. The bowstave is cut from the radius of the tree so that sapwood (on the outside of the tree) becomes the back and forms about one third of the total thickness; the remaining two thirds or so is heartwood (50/50 is about the maximum sapwood/heartwood ratio generally used). Yew sapwood is good only in tension, while the heartwood is good in compression. The outer ('back') of the bow will be stretched in drawing and need to be able to withstand that without fracturing. The inside ('belly') is compressed during the draw. While many woods are good at one or other, few are good enough at both, Osage being another.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I dunno what I'd on the radio yesterday morning, but one of the guests on whatever show it was mentioned that China (great bunch of lads) had a famine in the early 60s which led to 40 million people dying. I'd a quick scan through Wikipedia to see what the story was, seeing as I'd never hear of it and it's not that long ago. Seems that there was some adverse weather, but the main cause was an agricultural policy shift by the government.
    During the Great Leap Forward, farming was organized into communes and the cultivation of private plots forbidden. Iron and steel production was identified as a key requirement for economic advancement. Millions of peasants were ordered away from agricultural work to join the iron and steel production workforce.
    Along with collectivization, the central government decreed several changes in agricultural techniques based on the ideas of Soviet pseudoscientist Trofim Lysenko.[9] One of these ideas was close planting, whereby the density of seedlings was at first tripled and then doubled again. The theory was that plants of the same species would not compete with each other. In practice they did, which stunted growth and resulted in lower yields.

Another policy (known as "deep plowing") was based on the ideas of Lysenko's colleague Terentiy Maltsev, who encouraged peasants across China to eschew normal plowing depths of 15–20 centimeters and instead plow extremely deeply into the soil (1 to 2 meters). The deep plowing theory stated that the most fertile soil was deep in the earth, and plowing unusually deep would allow extra strong root growth. However, in shallow soil, useless rocks, soil, and sand were driven up instead, burying the fertile topsoil and again severely stunting seedling growth.

Additionally, in the Great sparrow campaign, citizens were called upon to destroy sparrows and other wild birds that ate crop seeds, in order to protect fields. Pest birds were shot down or scared from landing until dropping in exhaustion. This resulted in an explosion of the vermin (especially crop-eating insects) population, which had no predators to thin it down.

I guess it shows that it's a fine balance between food security and having feck all, and more importantly it shows that when bureaucrats with no agri knowledge start dictating, it can end in disaster.

Wiki Link

What a miserable day out there. Going housing our first few tomorrow because of it though bloody good run at it this year, had a months feeding done this time last year. Limo heifer is about 3/4 trained now so onto the culard! Probably leave the cow out, & him in with the limo, letting him suck twice a day. Easier to wean for the show then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

At the mart and the bloody computers are down with 20 mins...total balls it's going to be a long day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Dozer1 wrote: »
    At the mart and the bloody computers are down with 20 mins...total balls it's going to be a long day

Which mart??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Who knew that talcum powder is now edible?
    I see its now made from corn starch, not ground down rock as I thought.
    Thats basically the same stuff as Birds custard or gravy thickening.
    Aren't farmers great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farm and plant website have bid reductions on kids clothes etc on their website. Might be handy for Christmas

Castleisland took 30 mins...

tanko wrote: »
    Which mart??

Castleisland took 30 mins...
    And theres a different auctioneer on the go now who is opening the cattle way too low..maybe I'm a bit impatient today

tanko wrote: »
    Which mart??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »
    Farm and plant website have bid reductions on kids clothes etc on their website. Might be handy for Christmas

Only 50 days to go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Who knew that talcum powder is now edible?
    I see its now made from corn starch, not ground down rock as I thought.
    Thats basically the same stuff as Birds custard or gravy thickening.
    Aren't farmers great?

probably changed due to the court case where talc was found to have caused cancer

Some mad stuff went on under Mao. The West did not know much about what was happening at the time. For example also, nonsensical production targets were set with everyone lying.
    A good book to read is Wild Swans: Three Daughter of China by Juang Chang.
    Tells the story of 3 generations, her mother and grandmother.
    Ireland was a bit poor and backward for much of the 20thC, but China and what they endured was at another level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭148multi

Water John wrote: »
    Some mad stuff went on under Mao. The West did not know much about what was happening at the time. For example also, nonsensical production targets were set with everyone lying.
    A good book to read is Wild Swans: Three Daughter of China by Juang Chang.
    Tells the story of 3 generations, her mother and grandmother.
    Ireland was a bit poor and backward for much of the 20thC, but China and what they endured was at another level.

I know some that say tiananmen square never happened, was just western propaganda.

Trump like nonsense needs to be pushed back every time its uttered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Save the planet by not eating meat coming up next on Claire Byrne Live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Farmer wrote: »

In fairness to your man from friends of the earth he was fairly reasonable. Kent made allot of good points but his delivery is terrible, he was like he was after a few pints the fcuker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

We need the farm bodies to gst together on this and recruit someone who understands the science and also the economics and who can debate this effectively. For example, here's an article on methane that doesn't even mention meat or farming. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140327111724.htm

Who is to say what proportion of the increased methane production is from cattle rather than as a result of greater methane production by microorganisms due to the existing rise in temperature

Unless you can throw out a pile of logic in your favour at the beginning, people and the media will run with what they are hearing and then everyone follows the herd (the wrong herd in this case)

Now it's not black and white either, some effort needs to take place on our side and more importantly, we need to sell this effort to the public

My 2c

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    In fairness to your man from friends of the earth he was fairly reasonable. Kent made allot of good points but his delivery is terrible, he was like he was after a few pints the fcuker.

WTF is that in aid of......very brave comment from an anonymous poster about a person that can't defend themselves....a bit sad really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We need the farm bodies to gst together on this and recruit someone who understands the science and also the economics and who can debate this effectively. For example, here's an article on methane that doesn't even mention meat or farming. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140327111724.htm

Who is to say what proportion of the increased methane production is from cattle rather than as a result of greater methane production by microorganisms due to the existing rise in temperature

Unless you can throw out a pile of logic in your favour at the beginning, people and the media will run with what they are hearing and then everyone follows the herd (the wrong herd in this case)

Now it's not black and white either, some effort needs to take place on our side and more importantly, we need to sell this effort to the public

My 2c

What’s really starting to annoy me about the whole climate change is all the talk about farming and belching cows.

While everybody ignores the fact that I can get a Ryanair flight to Central Europe for €10 How’s that working for the environment, encouraging pointless flights burning excess fuel so groups of lads can go on the piss in Poland, yet we’re supposed to beleive the biggest threat to modern life is farming to provide food to feed an ever expanding world population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

_Brian wrote: »
    What’s really starting to annoy me about the whole climate change is all the talk about farming and belching cows.

While everybody ignores the fact that I can get a Ryanair flight to Central Europe for €10 How’s that working for the environment, encouraging pointless flights burning excess fuel so groups of lads can go on the piss in Poland, yet we’re supposed to beleive the biggest threat to modern life is farming to provide food to feed an ever expanding world population.

Have you seen the women in Poland well worth the 10euro air fare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

FFS! Why do they keep asking that tool Kent on to represent farmers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

wrangler wrote: »
    WTF is that in aid of......very brave comment from an anonymous poster about a person that can't defend themselves....a bit sad really

Ah jesus wrangler, for a man of your age you'd want to grow up. I'd say it was clear enough to everybody else here how that was meant. Very sneaky of you to try to turn it into something it wasn't. Or are you just in cranky form being back home dealing with the Irish weather!

FFS! Why do they keep asking that tool Kent on to represent farmers?

Because he was elected by farmers to represent us.....if he's as bad as you say it sets the level of farmer apathy.
    ''In a democracy we get the leaders we deserve''.....farmer apathy again.

Don't know where this new beef group think they're going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

wrangler wrote: »

Bitta pot kettle black there, Wrangler.
    How often do you come on here hurling abuse at HSE staff?

Bitta pot kettle black there, Wrangler.
    How often do you come on here hurling abuse at HSE staff?

First three items on the news last night were cockups by the PS, go figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

The OH and four of her friends went on a trip to New York last Thursday, she's back home today thank fook. I'm wrecked trying to mind two small kids, try and get a bit of farming done and then into work plus keeping the house semi tidy.
    I wouldn't fancy being a single parent running a farm, I know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

The OH and four of her friends went on a trip to New York last Thursday, she's back home today thank fook. I'm wrecked trying to mind two small kids, try and get a bit of farming done and then into work plus keeping the house semi tidy.
    Does every one qualify for lone parent money? If a lad didn't have to work to pay the bills farming and rearing the kids would be a nice life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Tuesday is always my crazy day, this evening I have daughter's parent teacher meeting thrown in. Lad who normally does an odd milking is away, so will be a quick milking here this evening. Fingers crossed for no disasters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Bullocks wrote: »
    Does every one qualify for lone parent money? If a lad didn't have to work to pay the bills farming and rearing the kids would be a nice life.

Oh hear, if i could stay at home and tip around the farm and collect them from school i would love it. No idea what the single parent allowance would be. As they were off school last week for Halloween they came and did some farming on Thursday and Friday as the weather was decent. They're just not keen being out in the wind and rain for hours on end but they can amuse themselves fairly well on the farm. It was a really enjoyable time for me, spending a bit of time with them on my own as most of their activities were off because of the holidays.
    Took them to the Natural History museum on Sunday in Belfast as the young lad is into Dinosaurs at the minute and there was a Diplodocus on display.

Without getting into the "sisters wanting sites" thread, I have a brother and sister who both live on the farm with their families and kids and if i need to do some machinery work or move stock for an hour they can go and play with their cousins or into each others houses so it works very well from that perspective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement