Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Check this out on Agriland - €9 million plan to dredge River Shannon gets underway https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/e9-million-allocated-to-river-shannon-flood-alleviation-fund/
    Good job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The consultants will have a good bite out of that allocation. The relief works for the town on Bandon are €16m just to give an indication of what scratching €7m will do, so Boxer can say he achieved something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

wrangler wrote: »
    Because he was elected by farmers to represent us.....if he's as bad as you say it sets the level of farmer apathy.
    ''In a democracy we get the leaders we deserve''.....farmer apathy again.

Don't know where this new beef group think they're going

No. They keep asking him because he’s prone to saying anything and that’s good television

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Oh hear, if i could stay at home and tip around the farm and collect them from school i would love it. No idea what the single parent allowance would be. As they were off school last week for Halloween they came and did some farming on Thursday and Friday as the weather was decent. They're just not keen being out in the wind and rain for hours on end but they can amuse themselves fairly well on the farm. It was a really enjoyable time for me, spending a bit of time with them on my own as most of their activities were off because of the holidays.
    Took them to the Natural History museum on Sunday in Belfast as the young lad is into Dinosaurs at the minute and there was a Diplodocus on display.

Without getting into the "sisters wanting sites" thread, I have a brother and sister who both live on the farm with their families and kids and if i need to do some machinery work or move stock for an hour they can go and play with their cousins or into each others houses so it works very well from that perspective.
    My youngest lad loves the dinosaurs aswell . It's handy to have kids close by to play with. There is no one on our road the same age really so the 2 boys keep themselves occupied a fair bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad has an 02 mitsubishi pajero. It was taxed until 31 October. It will not pass the doe and I bought him an 01 pajero last week. He went online last night to declare the 02 off road. He wasn't allowed to do this as it is out of tax. He would have to tax it for 3 months and then declare it off road. If he does tax it can he declare it off road straight away and get the 3 months tax back? I am using it to bring in cows etc on farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dad has an 02 mitsubishi pajero. It was taxed until 31 October. It will not pass the doe and I bought him an 01 pajero last week. He went online last night to declare the 02 off road. He wasn't allowed to do this as it is out of tax. He would have to tax it for 3 months and then declare it off road. If he does tax it can he declare it off road straight away and get the 3 months tax back? I am using it to bring in cows etc on farm

There’s a minimum value below which they won’t refund tax, check that out before taxing it.

Also if it’s never going to be in a public space again I wouldn’t worry about it.

_Brian wrote: »
    There’s a minimum value below which they won’t refund tax, check that out before taxing it.

I'm wondering can we tax it at all if the doe is out of date

I'm wondering can we tax it at all if the doe is out of date

Well you can tax a private vehicle without nct so maybe.

Mid terms in the US should be interesting. Friend was saying earlier that if Trump is ever going to pull a dictator stunt it would be now if he looses control of the houses, being president without actual total control might just push him to something drastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You can't tax a commercial without a valid current CVRT.
    You can't declare a vehicle "off road" after the tax runs out.
    Just let it lie, and if he wants to put it back on the road in a year (or whatever) transfer it into your own name, them back into his name.
    That gets rid of any "back tax" scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

No. They keep asking him because he’s prone to saying anything and that’s good television

They keep asking him because he says yes,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone ever used Kiernan’s himaize meal to fatten suckler cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Stolen from another thread, not farming related but I got a good laugh from it, several times over. Shows the mischief a couple of lads sharing a house get up to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXPQY_VRP6M

Looking at the photo thread, who calls wellies, welly boots?

@ Base Price, I’d say your lads are up to similar at the other end of the world. Reminded me of the crack we used to have house sharing. Miss them days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A mate went to Ballyhaise Ag college.
    One night while returning from a few scoops in Bradys Bar and Lounge, someone thought it would be a super idea to remove the decorative horse drawn plough from its plinth in the college yard and hide it.
    A hawser of a rope, usually used for tug-of-war practice was lying on the lawn and our hero's decided to change the plan, and plough the patch of lawn outside the managers house.
    Somehow 8 drunk lads managed to plough the lawn in total silence while the man lay asleep the other side of a pane of glass, and return the plough to its proper place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Bradys "bar and lounge". Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

tanko wrote: »
    Bradys "bar and lounge". Jaysus.

What are you saying Tanko??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Looking at the photo thread, who calls wellies, welly boots?

Rubber boot man here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Odelay wrote: »
    @ Base Price, I’d say your lads are up to similar at the other end of the world. Reminded me of the crack we used to have house sharing. Miss them days.
    My thoughts exactly - I copied the link to both of them :D

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly - I copied the link to both of them :D

It’s a funny auld world this internet, don’t know you from Adam, you or anyone else here could be standing next to me in a shop and I wouldn’t know you, but when I seen the video I thought of your lads. The internet is a great thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

What are you saying Tanko??!!

I better not say any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Rubber boot man here!

Top boots

listening to it hammering down rain for last two hours.
    Ground will be plenty soft after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

listening to it hammering down rain for last two hours.
    Ground will be plenty soft after this.

Bought Guy Cotten rain gear yesterday. It's about to be christened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

orm0nd wrote: »
    Bought Guy Cotten rain gear yesterday. It's about to be christened.

Ya bought well!

Reminder - David Attenborough's new series "Dynasties" starts this Sunday on BBC1 at 8.30pm.
    https://www.bbcearth.com/dynasties/

My helper this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

jaysus kiss him just incase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

grassroot1 wrote: »
    jaysus kiss him just incase

Ah now I see it. Pic is huge on phone. All I could see was 2 buckets and a bit of rope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's something in this clip of regenerative grazing for everyone.
    Even if you want to see a quad drive over a standing electric fence.

https://www.grass-fed-solutions.com/carbon.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My helper this evening

Nice - you can never have too many of them lads:D;)

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Nice - you can never have too many of them lads:D;)
    Frog or toad? Sent the photo to my family in whatsapp group and we had a debate over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Frog or toad? Sent the photo to my family in whatsapp group and we had a debate over it

Defo Frog - the only toads in this country are the very rare Natterjacks found in coastal West Kerry. One easy way of telling a Frog from a Toad is that the latter walks and never hops.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Defo Frog - the only toads in this country are the very rare Natterjacks found in coastal West Kerry. One easy way of telling a Frog from a Toad is that the latter walks and never hops.
    I'm a winner so , my sister googled and reckoned it was a toad.

• Advertisement

I'm a winner so , my sister googled and reckoned it was a toad.

Be lovely with some mushrooms:)

Odelay wrote: »
    Be lovely with some mushrooms:)
    I'm beginning to feel sorry for it, it was in the parlour this morning and this evening . If it's still there in the morning I'll help it out of the pit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Back to morning foddering! About a month til I'm sick of it :D Weaning a bull outside while cow inside, not a peep out of either so far.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for it, it was in the parlour this morning and this evening . If it's still there in the morning I'll help it out of the pit
    I have noticed a good few frogs on the roads over the last few wet nights. They must be heading back to their wintering ponds.

Base price wrote: »
    I have noticed a good few frogs on the roads over the last few wet nights. They must be heading back to their wintering ponds.

No sign of it this morning

• Advertisement

Got a few things for Christmas last night. Left them in boot of car for oh to put away. Youngest lad came over to me in yard this morning and said thanks for the things.... He was getting his football boots out of car. Thankfully they were only small presents but feck it

Back to morning foddering! About a month til I'm sick of it :D Weaning a bull outside while cow inside, not a peep out of either so far.

Yea, it’s a funny thing.

All summer the thought of having stock shut in foddering is abhorrent, yet as of this week it seems a total luxury.

Roll round March and we’re all looking at the door of tue pen mad to get them out to grass “where they belong”

Got a few things for Christmas last night. Left them in boot of car for oh to put away. Youngest lad came over to me in yard this morning and said thanks for the things.... He was getting his football boots out of car. Thankfully they were only small presents but feck it

Literally his Christmas came early.
    Been doing some online stuff here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Literally his Christmas came early.
    Been doing some online stuff here too.

Wife has all done since Sept. Genius or mad.....I'm not sure yet

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wife has all done since Sept. Genius or mad.....I'm not sure yet

depends if she's listening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ganmo wrote: »
    depends if she's listening

This is an excellent point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Got me BJ tickets for 15 June!! ;)

Muckit wrote: »

oooh-matron-29062761.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭148multi

Muckit wrote: »