Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It had gotten very overcast here in the evening but completely clear sky now. Something else in completely darkness to take in the night sky and the glory of all the stars.
    I saw Saturn through a cheap telescope a few years ago but it was clear enough to see the rings and one moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

_Brian wrote: »
    It had gotten very overcast here in the evening but completely clear sky now. Something else in completely darkness to take in the night sky and the glory of all the stars.
    I saw Saturn through a cheap telescope a few years ago but it was clear enough to see the rings and one moon.

I saw 2 full moons through the back window of the car in front of me at about 2am once without any telescope.:D
    Enough to put a body of astronomy for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We went to the local to watch the rugby. We came home at half time. Very very lucky that we did as the aga was on fire. I had clothes on it drying. My fault. But so so lucky. Some fright. 5 minutes later the house would have been gone

whelan2 wrote: »
    We went to the local to watch the rugby. We came home at half time. Very very lucky that we did as the aga was on fire. I had clothes on it drying. My fault. But so so lucky. Some fright. 5 minutes later the house would have been gone

Close call there !!

Has anyone put in a new aga or similar recently? How much are they. Damage to mine is only on the lids but it's getting old.

There’s a crowd in the north, they will take yours as a trade and supply new or refurbished cookers.

http://boyhillcookers.com/multi-fuel-cookers/reconditioned-aga/

There you go, they offer reconditioning and all that. Bought two stoves of them when we were building, easy to deal with then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

_Brian wrote: »
    There’s a crowd in the north, they will take yours as a trade and supply new or refurbished cookers.

http://boyhillcookers.com/multi-fuel-cookers/reconditioned-aga/

There you go, they offer reconditioning and all that. Bought two stoves of them when we were building, easy to deal with then.

think H & F do them as well

http://www.handfenterprises.ie/range-cookers/aga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

orm0nd wrote: »

I got a reconditioned Stanley when I was doing up the parents house a few years ago off them. They were sound to deal with. I can't remember the prices but I was happy with the trade in price they gave for the old one considering how wore out it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Does anyone have cattle/calves off the Red Angus ZEP. I have a beautiful red heifer that is a pure torture. Her mother is like a lamb so is last year's heifer. She is like (sorry all Lim breeders!) the maddest of Limos. I took the opportunity to pour-on all this morning seeing as it was nice and dry and she tried to go through my and OH for a short cut a couple of times. Managed to dose her because she 'accidently' ran up the crush and the backing bar dropped behind her with the force she hit the end gate! Minute she is herd tested after Christmas she will be out the gate. I'm very disappointed as she was earmarked to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Got the loan of a clippers for the calves. But wasn't told that the tension knob needs to be really tightened or it loosens itself. Spent bloody ages looking for this all around the silage & feeding area :o

DsT0K70XgAYs6j5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

emaherx I'm never going to show that to my ould lad cause he'll never get new wellies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

ganmo wrote: »
    emaherx I'm never going to show that to my ould lad cause he'll never get new wellies!

Feckin Dunlops seem to last no time these days before they split. Need to order some alternatives so what's the better options out there? Muck Boots?

Had to patch them or I'd only be buying the exact same replacements tomorrow in the local farm store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's important to keep your priorities warm.

20181118-204856.jpg

It's important to keep your priorities warm.

20181118-204856.jpg

Watch it doesn't go on fire :) on a serious note, alway had a fire blanket beside my cooker. Used it last night. Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms all went off, we just weren't in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Good documentary on channel 4.
    Interview of tony Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Got the loan of a clippers for the calves. But wasn't told that the tension knob needs to be really tightened or it loosens itself. Spent bloody ages looking for this all around the silage & feeding area :o

DsT0K70XgAYs6j5.jpg
    Clippers have a tensioning screw which is encased by a spring that maintains the tension. I would have thought that you would have come across this with the horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Pod123 wrote: »
    Good documentary on channel 4.
    Interview of tony Martin

''That's how things are boy''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Base price wrote: »
    Clippers have a tensioning screw which is encased by a spring that maintains the tension. I would have thought that you would have come across this with the horses.

I've only used them once or twice in my life :o Came across them with the horses all right but rarely was the one clipping. Plus if it's mechanical at all in form, it goes in one ear & out the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Watch it doesn't go on fire :) on a serious note, alway had a fire blanket beside my cooker. Used it last night. Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms all went off, we just weren't in the house.

Thank god you did. What caught on fire on the aga btw?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Thank god you did. What caught on fire on the aga btw?

A bath towel. Also lost a super dry hoody, some running gear and a regatta coat. Could have been so much worse. Spent yesterday washing walls. Bought a new fire blanket too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I see Carrick-on-Suir mart won't reopen after a fire last April due to insurance costs.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/carrickonsuir-mart-not-to-reopen-after-fire-37542774.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

A bath towel. Also lost a super dry hoody, some running gear and a regatta coat. Could have been so much worse. Spent yesterday washing walls. Bought a new fire blanket too

Christ. That's much too close for comfort. Anything in particular make you go home at half time in the game? You were steeped you did.

Christ. That's much too close for comfort. Anything in particular make you go home at half time in the game? You were steeped you did.

Would never have the kids in the local after 8pm. We could so easily have had another pint as eldest lad was driving. We relit it there this evening. Had to cut the burnt lino in front of it. Brillo pads are great. Was alot of burnt stuff on it

This was it after a bit of cleaning on Saturday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

This was it after a bit of cleaning on Saturday night

Jaysus

• Advertisement

Looks like half of France has ended up in the Bay of Biscay today.
    They could do with a few cover crops. :rolleyes:

Screenshot-2018-11-19-19-36-39.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Was reading recently that conventional winter tillage leads to much higher rates of soil erosion compared to spring till

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Was reading recently that conventional winter tillage leads to much higher rates of soil erosion compared to spring till

Any bare topsoil is at risk of being washed away.

All that soil at the bottom of the sea there is most likely a combination of maize ground, winter crops recently sown and whatever bare ground is left for spring.
    (Although I doubt they'd be at the craic of spraying off stubbles now for spring).
    Could even be farmers at the ploughing now for spring crops. Doubt they'd be at that craic either anymore though?
    Whatever the cause it's gone now anyway and their land is devalued wether they know it or not.

John Deere has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’m really stupid, what am I looking at?
    I’m paying attention because you seem to know your stuff about soils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Odelay wrote: »

The brown water

• Advertisement

A sea full of topsoil originating from the Garonne and other rivers.

It's not a normal sight. Well if it was there'd be no fields left.

Picture of hook head and barrow estuary yesterday for comparison.
    https://i.postimg.cc/rFcZVDvd/Screenshot-2018-11-19-22-49-54.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Its the Garonne, but its slso a tidal river, so the incoming tide brings in sediment and then flushes it out again.

http://invisiblebordeaux.blogspot.com/2018/01/why-is-garonne-river-brown-here-is.html?m=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Fairly productive day here.
    Car got it’s first service and it was free! :)
    Mixed up the last bit of concrete for an extra car parking space at home and applied for a pig number thingy.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Its the Garonne, but its slso a tidal river, so the incoming tide brings in sediment and then flushes it out again.

http://invisiblebordeaux.blogspot.com/2018/01/why-is-garonne-river-brown-here-is.html?m=1

If that was the case Nek that picture would be a daily occurrence.

Screenshot-2018-11-19-23-00-17.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If that was the case Nek that picture would be a daily occurrence.

Screenshot-2018-11-19-23-00-17.png

Might depend on the timing of the sat. photo and where the tidal cycle was at the time.
    But sure, there is soil erosion all the time.

Might depend on the timing of the sat. photo and where the tidal cycle was at the time.
    But sure, there is soil erosion all the time.

Well you can search through the nasa sat pics yourself if you want.
    The website is named on the search bar on the screengrab. You won't get one as extreme as that picture though.
    Heavy rainfall and tillage ground leads to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A very important river too as its the only one in the EU where Wild Sturgeon still spawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

And if the veganistas got their way - all our grassland would end up in the same place ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Fairly productive day here.
    Car got it’s first service and it was free! :)
    Mixed up the last bit of concrete for an extra car parking space at home and applied for a pig number thingy.

Is there much involved in applying for a pig number? I fancy trying my hand at a few porkers as my grand parents used to have them. The idea of being somewhat sustainable meat wise is appealing and I might get around to it some day.

Is there much involved in applying for a pig number? I fancy trying my hand at a few porkers as my grand parents used to have them. The idea of being somewhat sustainable meat wise is appealing and I might get around to it some day.

It’s easy enough to get and the taste of the home reared bacon is incredible!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

It's easy got. If you do go for it. Go into your local supermarket and ask for the gone off veg. I had pigs a few years ago. The local supervalu bagged up all the veg for me to collect twice a week. They loved it mixed with barley. They didn't get over fat but were tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

jimini0 wrote: »
    It's easy got. If you do go for it. Go into your local supermarket and ask for the gone off veg. I had pigs a few years ago. The local supervalu bagged up all the veg for me to collect twice a week. They loved it mixed with barley. They didn't get over fat but were tasty.

Did ya ever see a fat vegan?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I think the livestock/general farming photo thread is broken.

Yan an extra 5 pages that are inaccessible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Got a new solar fence the other day. Won't be using it for the winter but have no power in the shed and could do with a light. Would be setting up fence beside it anyway. Was thinking of getting a 12v led tractor work lamp and hooking it up to it for the winter. Would be handy around calving and stuff. Would it be good enough to power it I wonder?

Its other threads aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Got a new solar fence the other day. Won't be using it for the winter but have no power in the shed and could do with a light. Would be setting up fence beside it anyway. Was thinking of getting a 12v led tractor work lamp and hooking it up to it for the winter. Would be handy around calving and stuff. Would it be good enough to power it I wonder?

Depends on the solar fencer you got, but you may well be able to run several LED lamps off it.

Accidentally left 4 LED spot lights swiched on, on the tractor overnight and tractor still started no problem the following afternoon. So if your fencer is the type that can charge a tractor battery or deep cycle leisure battery it will work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The gremlins have gotten loose again

Me on boards..

My brain.

Don't say it
    Don't say it
    Don't say it
    Don't say it
    Don't say it
    Don't say it
    Don't say it
    Don't say it

Who the hell started this craic??

That's a serious question btw this ^^lark is all over social media. Who or where did it come from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yan an extra 5 pages that are inaccessible
    Its other threads aswell
    Reggie. wrote: »
    The gremlins have gotten loose again
    There's a software issue that this mornings maintenance was supposed to fix like the issue of sometimes not being able to see the first post of a new page and constantly being directed back to the same page you just had read.

It seems it still hasn't been sorted:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement