Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

gozunda wrote: »
    And if the veganistas got their way - all our grassland would end up in the same place ...

I tried and I tried and I tried to find a direct link to this video clip but failed on both vimeo and the soil carbon movie website so ultimately I'm forced to show this link from "Thefarmingforum". :rolleyes: :D

But it's a goodie.
    https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/improving-our-lot-planned-holistic-grazing-for-starters.224870/page-155

Check out the clip posted by Samcowman.

Most of that veg crowd just need a toe in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Is there much involved in applying for a pig number? I fancy trying my hand at a few porkers as my grand parents used to have them. The idea of being somewhat sustainable meat wise is appealing and I might get around to it some day.

Fill out a form. Department Vet comes out to look at facilities and says yay or nay. Fairly straight forward.
    I’ve a ‘pig ark’ to put together at the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Fill out a form. Department Vet comes out to look at facilities and says yay or nay. Fairly straight forward.
    I’ve a ‘pig ark’ to put together at the weekend!
    It is pretty straight forward but you need to show that you have enough space be it a paddock etc, fresh water supply/drinker, some sort of housing be it a pig ark or a shed and adequate fencing - at least two strands of electric fence should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Base price wrote: »
    It is pretty straight forward but you need to show that you have enough space be it a paddock etc, fresh water supply/drinker, some sort of housing be it a pig ark or a shed and adequate fencing - at least two strands of electric fence should do.

What would be the minimum size of ground that two pigs would inhabit without it turning into a quagmire? I know it's a difficult question but ballpark. I assume two pigs would be pretty hard on ground. It's something I've toyed with myself. We used to keep pigs when I was a young lad but that's a good while ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What would be the minimum size of ground that two pigs would inhabit without it turning into a quagmire? I know it's a difficult question but ballpark. I assume two pigs would be pretty hard on ground. It's something I've toyed with myself. We used to keep pigs when I was a young lad but that's a good while ago!

Quarter of an acre maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

https://www.newstalk.com/EPA-warns-that-some-private-water-supplies-could-pose-serious-health-risk

Is it just paranoia on my behalf, or is there an increase in these "news" items?
    Surely nothing to do with a Govt. move towards water privatisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There are breeds that don’t root in the ground or their noses can be ringed to stop them rooting.

Ours are at the quagmire stage now with craters dug about the place. Between mud and holes it’s interesting going in after dark to feed them.

Don’t care though as they’re happy, healthy and the pen is dedicated to rearing pigs anyway. They were keeping their shed clean until the last few weeks but it’s pretty bad now, will need a good clean when they’re gone.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    https://www.newstalk.com/EPA-warns-that-some-private-water-supplies-could-pose-serious-health-risk

Is it just paranoia on my behalf, or is there an increase in these "news" items?

Yea, I’d say they’re looking to get on to force testing on all private wells, a service for which of course we will have to pay I’m sure.

Be some irony if people on public supplies get it free and those of us providing our own are forced into annual testing at a cost to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I suppose letters would be sent to the people affected or phone calls or local radio/newspapers. Before social media.
    It wouldnt be all over the place

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, I’d say they’re looking to get on to force testing on all private wells, a service for which of course we will have to pay I’m sure.

Be some irony if people on public supplies get it free and those of us providing our own are forced into annual testing at a cost to us.

That's my reading of it as well.
    EPA signal their concerns that private wells supplying a million people are untested.
    I wonder how many cases of E.Coli present at a health centre or hospital annually, out of that million people?
    Co-Op tested ours and it was potable, what more would the EPA do? (Except charge).

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Quarter of an acre maybe
    I had an area 25m x 25m fenced off for two weaners and they turned it to clay in no time. It wasn't big enough but was ok in the Summer when it was dry. I increased the area to 50m x 50m and it worked much better although it was still mucky in areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

The joys of getting car insurance. Best got so far is 7 euro more the last year with chill/rsa. Crazy quotes of 2000 most are in around 900/1200 current best is 777. When I first started driving with a fresh full licence 2 years named exp in 2009 I paid 690 with fbd. I taught sure it will only go down from there. That's the cheapest insureance I ever had.

That's my reading of it as well.
    EPA signal their concerns that private wells supplying a million people are untested.
    I wonder how many cases of E.Coli present at a health centre or hospital annually, out of that million people?
    Co-Op tested ours and it was potable, what more would the EPA do? (Except charge).
    According to the EPA we are using water from one of the 52 supplies across the country that have elevated levels of trihalomethanes (THM's). They (EPA) say that the levels of this carcinogenic in the water supply is not harmful to our health :mad:

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/longford/epa-say-no-cause-alarm-due-presence-thms-local-water-supplies/

Edit to say that no household received notification from Irish Water that the water supply had high levels of THM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I'm on Lough Talt supply in Co Sligo and we were never officially notified that the water was unfit for drinking unless boiled and then I accidently found out only a couple of weeks ago that the problem was fixed and we could drink straight from the tap again. I bet they won't have any problem sending us a letter with a bill attached if/when that comes around again.

https://www.thejournal.ie/climate-action-government-4345927-Nov2018/?utm_source=facebook_short

I expect this will carry more costs both as individuals and farmers 😔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

12ft x 12ft and 6 inches of concrete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

whelan2 wrote: »
    Has anyone put in a new aga or similar recently? How much are they. Damage to mine is only on the lids but it's getting old.

About 11k sterling last time I bought one ... 4 door.

The OH got a discount off them and it is the single achievement in her life she is most proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The old farmhouse here has a 4 oven Aga. Solid fuel (anthracite ). Hasnt been fired up in almost 50 yrs. Ive never seen it in action. Back in 01 I had a herd inspection and the inspector wanted me to put a price on it by hook or by crook. I'd say he'd have been on the following Saturday with a few lads if he thought he'd get it. Same fecker wanted to take a banjaxed lawnmower that was thrown outside workshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The old farmhouse here has a 4 oven Aga. Solid fuel (anthracite ). Hasnt been fired up in almost 50 yrs. Ive never seen it in action. Back in 01 I had a herd inspection and the inspector wanted me to put a price on it by hook or by crook. I'd say he'd have been on the following Saturday with a few lads if he thought he'd get it. Same fecker wanted to take a banjaxed lawnmower that was thrown outside workshop.

Have it back working. Cause of fire was that a pipe was replaced and fuel was coming into cooker alot faster than it had been. I would normally leave it at 6 for a few hours after relighting it and then turn it down to 3. Because it was getting extra fuel it heated up alot quicker. It's at 2 now with lids up and it's fairly hot

We threw out an antracite 4 oven Esse range in the winter of 1984.
    Miner's strike was on in the UK, and antracite became like gold dust.
    Remember the father setting off for the Monaghan/Armagh border because there was a rumour that some dodgy fuel yard down some unapproved road had got some in stock, and coming home with 3 cwt bags to keep it going for another two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Hi all..hoping I'm allowed ask this...have a cow making a very loud grunting/groaning noise. She is very happy lookin chewing the cud,eyes and eara are fine she's lying down. She's 7months in calf AA aroubd7 years old and she is in good condition. It's on the exhale but every exhale is a loud groan/grunt-v loud. Should I be worried or is she just in an uncomfortable position?? Already had the vet out twice this week so not keen on cooking him supper again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

We’ve a a little over an acre here in one paddock. My plan is to make a pig ark with a detachable lid so it can be moved around easier. Electric poultry netting aswell and then they can be moved around. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That would seriously want to be reviewed if it is legal for a small time operator.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

6" of concrete seems a lot to hold up two pig's 😀

In all seriousness though its precisely this type of pork I've refused to buy for years.
    If I'm gonna keep a couple of pigs they're going to be outdoor pigs foraging for a living. We've turkeys, geese and hens here and they all live out in the paddock .
    I'm just worried if we keep pigs we'll end up with nothing for the geese to eat .

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

_Brian wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/climate-action-government-4345927-Nov2018/?utm_source=facebook_short

I expect this will carry more costs both as individuals and farmers 😔

Its going to cost everyone, and a few will be able to cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I see my farm has gone from being 30% of it being disadvantaged to 100% being disadvantaged..... a bit late
    I thought they were supposed to be reducing disadvantage payments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Its going to cost everyone, and a few will be able to cash in.

I keep saying it but if taxes are imposed for using carbon then rewards should be given for taking carbon out of the air and storing it in our soils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    I see my farm has gone from being 30% of it being disadvantaged to 100% being disadvantaged..... a bit late

My outfarm has stayed in. I grew 4t/ac of wheat on it a few years back. I was worried it would be taken out. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Grueller wrote: »
    My outfarm has stayed in. I grew 4t/ac of wheat on it a few years back. I was worried it would be taken out. Happy days.

All my land is good wheat land, in particular the 30% that was originally disadvataged, can't believe it's all eligible for disadvantage payments now.
    I think all my tenants are at max payments so won't be any advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

Was it the same fella that wanted the calves cheap ðŸ˜

L1985 wrote: »
    Hi all..hoping I'm allowed ask this...have a cow making a very loud grunting/groaning noise. She is very happy lookin chewing the cud,eyes and eara are fine she's lying down. She's 7months in calf AA aroubd7 years old and she is in good condition. It's on the exhale but every exhale is a loud groan/grunt-v loud. Should I be worried or is she just in an uncomfortable position?? Already had the vet out twice this week so not keen on cooking him supper again!!

Sounds like both your vet and cow are happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭The Rabbi

I have had a few like that over the years,when they are housed you hear them.
    I have heard them at the same thing when they are grazing the paddock beside
    the garden.Some of them are at it with years and they are still alive.Having said
    that keep an eye on her and if she stays in good form don't worry she's just a drama queen.

wrangler wrote: »

Where can you look this up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If she's fine as regards eating and drinking, go with that. It's probably pressure from the calf when she's lying down. Pregnant cows can make some fearsome noises at times.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

• Advertisement

That would seriously want to be reviewed if it is legal for a small time operator.

You might get away with 5" with steel mesh.

148multi wrote: »
    Sounds like both your vet and cow are happy out.
    The vet was out for two miserable cases of pneumonia to be honest. Have 4 animals down with it at the moment but they are getting better thank god. Better to have the vet earlier on in those cases!!
    @greysides thanks for that! Just very bizarre noises out of her but I'd say it is from the calf. It was just continual and very loud so I was slightly worried but that's reassuring. I'll watch her anyway :)

The vet was out for two miserable cases of pneumonia to be honest. Have 4 animals down with it at the moment but they are getting better thank god. Better to have the vet earlier on in those cases!!
    @greysides thanks for that! Just very bizarre noises out of her but I'd say it is from the calf. It was just continual and very loud so I was slightly worried but that's reassuring. I'll watch her anyway :)

That's tough going, glad to hear they're improving, getting the vet early is the wise thing to do, have had cows over the years making weird noises, some carrying small calves, came to the conclusion that it's just a habit with some cows. Hope everything works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

148multi wrote: »
    That's tough going, glad to hear they're improving, getting the vet early is the wise thing to do, have had cows over the years making weird noises, some carrying small calves, came to the conclusion that it's just a habit with some cows. Hope everything works out.

I have one old cow so noisy in the later stages of pregnancy that she keeps me awake at night (calving pen not so far from my bedroom window)..

My dry cows are over at an outfarm this year and if truth be told I'm missing the sound of her snoring.

I can't remember ever having had to do more than show up with a bucket of warm water for her to drink after calving.. she's an absolute machine.

Thanks all-she was wide awake and I should have recorded the noise she was making as it's some volume-she's a bit of a drama queen anyway!! I'll keep an eye and make sure she's eating-it's just good to get reassurance.
    Just been told one of the heifers isn't great again...my own fault I was a bit too lax with the dosing this year and I'm paying the price! We still have the weanings out thou so not a bad year at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Doing bits work round yard and need couple load filling for laneway into it what’s cheapest stuff to buy? Topper Lorre loads

Rigid lorry loads

marathon wrote: »
    Doing bits work round yard and need couple load filling for laneway into it what’s cheapest stuff to buy? Topper Lorre loads

Is it to be the surface as well ??

If so I’d go for blue stone, 3” down, 2” down if its for cars.
    If it’s under fill then shale filling is cheaper and beds in well.

We have access to both quarries near enough which is handy.

It filling for laneway and yes cars will be traveling on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

marathon wrote: »
    It filling for laneway and yes cars will be traveling on it

804 would be cheapest option and will go like concrete after a while, well not exactly like concrete but it'll do for a lane.

Have a spare heap handy for any potholes that might appear.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If anybody is thinking of changing tagging supplier to Cormac this year, they have a free postage offer for new customers that register and order online before 30th November.
    HH7Liwj.jpg
    It doesn't seem to be working for me atm?

If anybody is thinking of changing tagging supplier to Cormac this year, they have a free postage offer for new customers that register and order online before 30th November.
    HH7Liwj.jpg
    It doesn't seem to be working for me atm?

In the journal it says cormac have put their prices up

whelan2 wrote: »
    In the journal it says cormac have put their prices up

I'm hoping a few cent now will pay back longer term by not fcuking around ordering replacement tags every week. So far so good.

When it's not your time, it's not your time.
    https://twitter.com/AwardsDarwin/status/1065688707842392066?s=19

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement