Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Thinking of giving molasses Beet pulp to autumn calvers.
    Guy in store says best soak in water before giving to the cows.
    How much pulp would you add to 3/4 of a lick bucket of water (8L)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

1/4 bucket of pulp, 2/4 of water. If all the water is gone in the morning you need more water. If there is excess water you have enough. That is my experience, better to have too much water.

Odelay wrote: »
    1/4 bucket of pulp, 2/4 of water. If all the water is gone in the morning you need more water. If there is excess water you have enough. That is my experience, better to have too much water.

Thanks Odelay
    I’ll fill the night before so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What’s the thinking around soaking it? I’ve only heard of soaking feed for horses prone to colic.

Ps mineral lick bucket = 16L

ganmo wrote: »
    What’s the thinking around soaking it? I’ve only heard of soaking feed for horses prone to colic.

Ps mineral lick bucket = 16L

Something about swelling with water
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Third session with a chiropractor this evening. Problem with my back when sleeping at night. She fair knows how to hurt me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Third session with a chiropractor this evening. Problem with my back when sleeping at night. She fair knows how to hurt me !!

Fortnightly excursion for me. That and the physio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Fiorsceal on Tg4 tonight at 11 could interest a few here.

Seemingly about soil and ag and stuff!!

They do have some interesting documentaries at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Grueller

Reggie. wrote: »
    Fortnightly excursion for me. That and the physio

Go to see Star Geoghegan in Carlow. Trust me on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Uncles funeral in the am. Had to help dig grave today. Fair grim job meeting remains. IMHO he should have gone into a fresh grave- there is about 6 in there already. I dunno will his wife go in there too when her turn comes.

I’m very grateful all the cattle are housed. Cuts down the workload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

CHOPS01 wrote: »

You have my sympathy pull my calf muscle last night jesus work was murder today and as for moving the wire at the rape for the cows sweet mother Mary wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Grueller

Uncles funeral in the am. Had to help dig grave today. Fair grim job meeting remains. IMHO he should have gone into a fresh grave- there is about 6 in there already. I dunno will his wife go in there too when her turn comes.

I’m very grateful all the cattle are housed. Cuts down the workload.

Sorry for your loss Kollege

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

grassroot1 wrote: »
    You have my sympathy pull my calf muscle last night jesus work was murder today and as for moving the wire at the rape for the cows sweet mother Mary wept.

I am not too bad. Compression of joints in my spine The discomfort ends up waking me after about 5/6 hours sleep and then it's just tossing and turning trying to get comfortable. No problems at all by day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Feckin rats and dogs. Dog killed a rat that was hiding in around engine of car a few weeks back. Now there's another one taking up lodgings there tonight. I was in shed cutting timber and when I came back to the house the dog was barking mad around the car. Went in for keys and when I came out to open the bonnet I discovered the dog had partially dismantled the front of the car.
    He had pulled the number plate and the backing plastic frame clean off, pulled off the surround of one of the foglights, and anothe plastic cover that gets access to the towing eye. The lower edge of the bumper is destroyed with teeth marks. The blue finish is pock marked with white holes where his teeth broke through the finish. Left the bonnet open tonight. Dog locked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭148multi

Feckin rats and dogs. Dog killed a rat that was hiding in around engine of car a few weeks back. Now there's another one taking up lodgings there tonight. I was in shed cutting timber and when I came back to the house the dog was barking mad around the car. Went in for keys and when I came out to open the bonnet I discovered the dog had partially dismantled the front of the car.
    He had pulled the number plate and the backing plastic frame clean off, pulled off the surround of one of the foglights, and anothe plastic cover that gets access to the towing eye. The lower edge of the bumper is destroyed with teeth marks. The blue finish is pock marked with white holes where his teeth broke through the finish. Left the bonnet open tonight. Dog locked in.

Jesus, you need to send that dog to fas, there's a mechanic trying to break out of it ðŸ˜. The bumper will be the least of your problem's if they keep sheltering in the engine bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sitting eating my breakfast and a car came in. County Council inspector...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »

What would they be inspecting?

What would they be inspecting?

The yard. Cows are still out here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

That would give you indigestion!!best of luck with it anyway!!

L1985 wrote: »
    That would give you indigestion!!best of luck with it anyway!!

He's gone now. All's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

He's gone now. All's good.

Unless it's a serious breach they'll give you time to sort it.....

wrangler wrote: »
    Unless it's a serious breach they'll give you time to sort it.....

Yard is a bit mucky but cows are still out so it's OK, would normally scrape it after breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Electricity off here. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If anybody is thinking of changing tagging supplier to Cormac this year, they have a free postage offer for new customers that register and order online before 30th November.
    HH7Liwj.jpg
    It doesn't seem to be working for me atm?

Damn
    Got tags from during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I have a telephone pole that I need moving that's on the edge of a road. I can't see up past it. Tis up on a bank and the bank has to be moved. It's a blind bend. So I get onto the correct channels and no response. Well there is but you know where that's gone.
    Met one if the van drivers and he said that will be a few grand, now if it was to get hit in an accident etc it might be a different story he said....
    The thing is it's up off the road and it would take a miracle for something to hit it. In the meantime I have a lad lined up to buy the gravel from the bank, but he can't take it cos the pole is on top. Can't move the entrance either as it's all.part of the planning details.

Any opinions appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I have a telephone pole that I need moving that's on the edge of a road. I can't see up past it. Tis up on a bank and the bank has to be moved. It's a blind bend. So I get onto the correct channels and no response. Well there is but you know where that's gone.
    Met one if the van drivers and he said that will be a few grand, now if it was to get hit in an accident etc it might be a different story he said....
    The thing is it's up off the road and it would take a miracle for something to hit it. In the meantime I have a lad lined up to buy the gravel from the bank, but he can't take it cos the pole is on top. Can't move the entrance either as it's all.part of the planning details.

Something might happen to it in these long dark nights of winter, you’d never know who might be driving past with a front loader or jcb

I get ya, Still wouldn't reach it! If you stand in the field you can see the top of an artic, with about ten more ft to spare!
    Is there any chance they would put it back where it was???

• Advertisement

I will have the site insured, so if during excavation, the pole was to get a wallop, how would that pan out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Had to get one moved here when we were putting up a new shed. They ended up moving 2. No charge and a grand quick job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Similar problem here a few yrs ago so opened gap and stoned it. The fool tipping the last stone pulled out on the road with the trailer up swept pole and cable.
    (Me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Nearly ready for tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Nearly ready for tomorrow :D

Do ya not trim the necks?

Do ya not trim the necks?

I got a fella who shows in to do them, that's the way he did it anyway! Makes them look flatter down the back imo, if you're looking from the tail/head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mexican standoff, one outside wanting to come in and the other inside wanting to go out.:D
    JESH6oq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

First grab of silage in to dirty the shed today. Only have 2 in as they were bought yesterday. 15 more will join them Tuesday or Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

First grab of silage in to dirty the shed today. Only have 2 in as they were bought yesterday. 15 more will join them Tuesday or Wednesday
    Do you scrape down the beds every day or less often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Do you scrape down the beds every day or less often?

The beds were originally in an in-calf heifer shed with cubicles. Cubicles have been cut out after they were rusting away. The beds wouldn't be scraped down at all now with bullocks in it. Maybe once a month if they were very bad.

I got a fella who shows in to do them, that's the way he did it anyway! Makes them look flatter down the back imo, if you're looking from the tail/head.
    Did he give the whole belly even the naval area a trim.
    It looks good when done, but I’m to nervous of doing harm

Did he give the whole belly even the naval area a trim.
    It looks good when done, but I’m to nervous of doing harm

Yea the whole belly, had three different clippers so dunno which one he used on it. Was explaining the reasons behind the parts that were to be clipped & why & it does make sense looking at the before & after. The heifer especially looks a different animal altogether. Glad i didn't go attacking them myself now!! :eek::o

Yea the whole belly, had three different clippers so dunno which one he used on it. Was explaining the reasons behind the parts that were to be clipped & why & it does make sense looking at the before & after. The heifer especially looks a different animal altogether. Glad i didn't go attacking them myself now!! :eek::o

Best of luck with um, after all the work that went into the hores.
    In fairness that heifer is looking so much better now. I've never seen the back of the neck done like that before but then again I'm no expert.
    The heifer looks like a right punk Rocker with it.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Best of luck with um, after all the work that went into the hores.
    In fairness that heifer is looking so much better now. I've never seen the back of the neck done like that before but then again I'm no expert.
    The heifer looks like a right punk Rocker with it.

Sure if they look out of place tomorrow the chap with the clippers is there with 9 cattle too so he can give them a quick buzzcut!
    Now they were both combed up for the clipping so that's prob making it look weirder too :D I've never seen as much hair come off an animal as that heifers belly, she was like a sheep. You can see the massive pile behind her in the photo.

Sure win or lose, i've had an enjoyable time training them. First time in many years that I've shown a commercial so it's just nice to get back into them. :)

Sure if they look out of place tomorrow the chap with the clippers is there with 9 cattle too so he can give them a quick buzzcut!
    Now they were both combed up for the clipping so that's prob making it look weirder too :D I've never seen as much hair come off an animal as that heifers belly, she was like a sheep. You can see the massive pile behind her in the photo.

Sure win or lose, i've had an enjoyable time training them. First time in many years that I've shown a commercial so it's just nice to get back into them. :)

Ya i saw the amount of white hair on the ground alright, she's a different animal now in fairness to her.

• Advertisement

Watching the polar express here. Time to get the kids into the Christmas spirit

Watching the polar express here. Time to get the kids into the Christmas spirit

Young lad here has been in the Christmas spirit for weeks. Got the thing he wanted in black Friday sale yesterday. He comes down this morning and says he wants to change his letter as he doesn't want it anymore, near choked on my porridge. Daughter played a blinder and he wants it again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Cooking Aldi lamb shoulder here tonight. Instructions said to discard the juices after 30 mins. Lol, that’s what spuds are for:)9

Young lad here has been in the Christmas spirit for weeks. Got the thing he wanted in black Friday sale yesterday. He comes down this morning and says he wants to change his letter as he doesn't want it anymore, near choked on my porridge. Daughter played a blinder and he wants it again now.

This is the time of year for heartattacks

This is the time of year for heartattacks

Still a month to go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement