Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I see there’s a working dog sale in blessington next week has this ever been held before? Might pop up for a gooch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Best of luck with um, after all the work that went into the hores.
    In fairness that heifer is looking so much better now. I've never seen the back of the neck done like that before but then again I'm no expert.
    The heifer looks like a right punk Rocker with it.

I was thinking Elvis with a quiff :D

Best of luck LH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Young lad here has been in the Christmas spirit for weeks. Got the thing he wanted in black Friday sale yesterday. He comes down this morning and says he wants to change his letter as he doesn't want it anymore, near choked on my porridge. Daughter played a blinder and he wants it again now.

We’ve managed to keep the girls on the asking Santa for a surprise line. It definitely takes off allot of pressure.
    Eldest is 16 now and helps keep younger lass on track.

Youngest really wants a pony!
    It’s taken quite a bit of convincing that Santa never brings a pony as a surprise.

Pony will happen but she’s just 10, I told her when she’s 12 we will get a pony. She will have another 2 years lessons and stable training done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    We’ve managed to keep the girls on the asking Santa for a surprise line. It definitely takes off allot of pressure.
    Eldest is 16 now and helps keep younger lass on track.

Youngest really wants a pony!
    It’s taken quite a bit of convincing that Santa never brings a pony as a surprise.

Pony will happen but she’s just 10, I told her when she’s 12 we will get a pony. She will have another 2 years lessons and stable training done.

I leased a corner to a neighbour who wanted it for a childs horse.....she'd done all the lessons and all. After what that horse had to suffer I'd advise caution on buying one.
    And I would've always been an advocate of children having horses, A lot of children are too spoilt and fickle now to accept responsibility of a horse.
    Really used to feel sorry for that horse, I got rid of them and they had to put him in a proper stables .......darling daughter wouldn't allow him to be sold.
    At least he's being properly looked after now, they could be paying for him for a long time yet.
    I'm always amused at kids buying dogs, they move on and parents are left with the dog, one case I know is a pyranean mountain dog, he's fourteen stone ....lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭148multi

Best of luck with um, after all the work that went into the hores.
    In fairness that heifer is looking so much better now. I've never seen the back of the neck done like that before but then again I'm no expert.
    The heifer looks like a right punk Rocker with it.

Mr T, and all you need is the jewellery ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

wrangler wrote: »
    I leased a corner to a neighbour who wanted it for a childs horse.....she'd done all the lessons and all. After what that horse had to suffer I'd advise caution on buying one.
    And I would've always been an advocate of children having horses, A lot of children are too spoilt and fickle now to accept responsibility of a horse.
    Really used to feel sorry for that horse, I got rid of them and they had to put him in a proper stables .......darling daughter wouldn't allow him to be sold.
    At least he's being properly looked after now, they could be paying for him for a long time yet.
    I'm always amused at kids buying dogs, they move on and parents are left with the dog, one case I know is a pyranean mountain dog, he's fourteen stone ....lovely

Turning every silver lining into a big dirty cloud.

Cheers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cheers !

Ah that's what he's here for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Cheers !

A lot of truth in it though. Know someone who's dream was to have a house in the country with a horse. Got the horse, complete with wood chip pad and all. A year later, horse was gone. He then got a dog and some chickens. Forgot to lock the chicken coup and the dog killed them all. Then the dog bit someone and had to be put down. Some people just don't undetstand the commitment needed in owning animals.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Look at this fella after getting a Referendum on cows horns on the ballot in Switzerland today. Lovely pic of him relaxing with the cow. wouldn't you like to have a vote?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/25/swiss-voters-take-the-cow-by-the-horns-referendum-armin-capaul

Would the EU consider a payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Cheers !

On the plus side, I was on a hunt today. It was great kids as young as 10 enjoying the outdoors, taking care of their ponies and how fearless they jumped ditches and drains. Great day out, great respect shown to landowners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Nearly ready for tomorrow :D

Well how did they go for you?

As children my little sister and myself were given a (very small) pony who we found standing on the flagstones in the Kitchen with a red ribbon and bell around its neck on Christmas morning - many moons ago.

I was a not quite four - but I still remember that to this day....

The pony survived - we survived and were taught to take care of the pony and all of it's successors! ;)

I was determined my kids would have the same experience :). Best experience ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

4th & €80 prize with the bull. Heifer was a total brat in the ring and got nothing. Enjoyable day & now relaxing with a hot toddy :D

Oh & he was 317kg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

simx wrote: »
    I see there’s a working dog sale in blessington next week has this ever been held before? Might pop up for a gooch

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

4th & €80 prize with the bull. Heifer was a total brat in the ring and got nothing. Enjoyable day & now relaxing with a hot toddy :D

Oh & he was 317kg!

Where did ya meet your hot toddy? :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Where did ya meet your hot toddy? :D

Glancys :P
    Now in watching Grindlewald. Early start again tomorrow to check in on the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Friend of mine got 4th and 1st and a reserve champion.
    Paid 1400 for the one that came 4th.
    1st and reserve champion was tvr out of bbq cow. Some calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

simx wrote: »
    Anyone?

I think it's on every year there.
    I could be talking out of my arse but I'm sure I've seen that advertised in Blessington Mart other years?

Friend of mine got 4th and 1st and a reserve champion.
    Paid 1400 for the one that came 4th.
    1st and reserve champion was tvr out of bbq cow. Some calf

Christ fair play. He must have um good.
    I'd like to meet to man or woman who put tvr on a bbq cow. Go hard or go home. Any pics?

• Advertisement

Cheers !

just telling my experience, pity someone didn't warn me, it should've been enough that the childs grandfather didn't give them some of his land.
    horses destroy land.

Neglecting animals shouldn't happen

Oh & he was 317kg!

Well done. Did you sell? You got a few quid outta it anyway. That bitch of a heifer. How did she compare to the other heifers? More importantly, how did the fancy hairstyle fair?

Christ fair play. He must have um good.
    I'd like to meet to man or woman who put tvr on a bbq cow. Go hard or go home. Any pics?

Section of course but tvr does what it says on the tin. Fine cow too. Must be close to a ton. Calf only born may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Bloody hell, thats some animal.
    Dont suppose you have a pic of the champion?

just telling my experience, pity someone didn't warn me, it should've been enough that the childs grandfather didn't give them some of his land.
    horses destroy land.
    Neglecting animals shouldn't happen

Only if they are allowed to I think. Thing is to rotate with other livestock and keep on top of things like ragworth. Horses are good in rotation and beneficial to keeping sward in the correct balance - though kids sometime need reminding about minding animals. Good learning in the long run ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Bloody hell, thats some animal.
    Dont suppose you have a pic of the champion?

She looks 100x times better in the pic there. He has her trimmed to perfection. When i seen her in the flesh she had an awful dip in the back but he has her straightened out a lot. He only had pics of his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Tricia Kennedy has good photos & videos on FB

Any word how 390kid got on.

Called if for a short while, some serious stock

gozunda wrote: »
    Only if they are allowed to I think. Thing is to rotate with other livestock and keep on top of things like ragworth. Horses are good in rotation and beneficial to keeping sward in the correct balance - though kids sometime need reminding about minding animals. Good learning in the long run ...

This crowd wouldn't even keep the post and rail maintained until eventually the horse stood on a nail on one of the rails that was on the ground.....you couldn't make it up, foot used to flare up regular because of it .......often saw the horse lying out flat with pain, vet often recommended putting him down too.
    Not much silver lining there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Tricia Kennedy has good photos & videos on FB

Any word how 390kid got on.

Called if for a short while, some serious stock

just had a gawk, as you say serious stock, a credit to the owners

Now perhaps twas just me but thought the judge to prefer black limo cattle to reds!
    Maybe twas just me! Anyway, am off for the night!! Thank you all for support & kind comments :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

gozunda wrote: »
    As children my little sister and myself were given a (very small) pony who we found standing on the flagstones in the Kitchen with a red ribbon and bell around its neck on Christmas morning - many moons ago.

I was a not quite four - but I still remember that to this day....

The pony survived - we survived and were taught to take care of the pony and all of it's successors! ;)

I was determined my kids would have the same experience :). Best experience ever!
    You lived the dream that I had as a child and what a wonderful memory to cherish :)

As a young child my first experience of sitting on an equine was holding onto the hames when Grandad was mowing and raking hay. Other than that he would throw me astride on one of the shorthorn cows when they were heading up the road from the field into the parlour. When the cow got chained into the stall I would turn around and hold her tail along with a bit of baler twine holding the tail of the cow standing next to her so that he and my Uncle could milk in peace without getting tail swiped.

I got my first and only pony for my 10th birthday - Mystery was a 12yo dun Connie mare.
    Unfortunately three years later I was involved in a car accident that resulted in neck injuries that prohibited me from riding horses.

Now perhaps twas just me but thought the judge to prefer black limo cattle to reds!
    Maybe twas just me! Anyway, am off for the night!! Thank you all for support & kind comments :)
    He had a preference for the dark colour alright

[quote="wrangler;108719884"
    horses destroy land.
    [/quote]

Exactly, have a look at the state of the land around coolmore, the national stud, gigginstown..... oh hang on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Odelay wrote: »
    Exactly, have a look at the state of the land around coolmore, the national stud, gigginstown..... oh hang on..

Now in fairness I don't think a one pony enterprise is anyway in the league of coolmore etc

He had a preference for the dark colour alright

We're you here? Ye dark horse, you never said hi!

Any links to pics of the 2 being shown. I'm getting confused following these posts. :mad:

Any links to pics of the 2 being shown. I'm getting confused following these posts. :mad:

Maybe fb? Class 30 was the heifer, the wee wagon.
    Guy that owns her has a cow sick to calve, 22 days to blue bull. Watching her now

Took this from Facebook (Tricia Kennedy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭148multi

Maybe fb? Class 30 was the heifer, the wee wagon.
    Guy that owns her has a cow sick to calve, 22 days to blue bull. Watching her now

Never thought a blue would bring that long, what breed is the cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

The science of soil rte1 now

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Now in fairness I don't think a one pony enterprise is anyway in the league of coolmore etc

Was more of the thinking, horses in a poorly managed field full of weeds, “feckin horses ruin land” see cattle in a field full of weeds, “poor land/ bad farmer”.
    Horses, one or many can be kept without ruining the land, if managed correctly. That was my reference to the studs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Was more of the thinking, horses in a poorly managed field full of weeds, “feckin horses ruin land” see cattle in a field full of weeds, “poor land/ bad farmer”.
    Horses, one or many can be kept without ruining the land, if managed correctly. That was my reference to the studs.

Its not long ago either that the Irish Draught and other working breeds were the most valuable animal on many farms!!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its not long ago either that the Irish Draught and other working breeds were the most valuable animal on many farms!!

Excellent point! I also have an Irish Draught😀ground is in great condition, grass bounces back and with management, no more than any other animal, weeds can be kept in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Water John wrote: »
    Look at this fella after getting a Referendum on cows horns on the ballot in Switzerland today. Lovely pic of him relaxing with the cow. wouldn't you like to have a vote?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/25/swiss-voters-take-the-cow-by-the-horns-referendum-armin-capaul

Would the EU consider a payment?

The swiss habit for referendums is brilliant craic.

I remember when we lived there we had the one about whether any more mosques should be allowed to be built. The village voted steadfastly against but (being internationalist) they insisted is was for the protection of paragliders!

Was there for about 2 hours didn’t see you

Took this from Facebook (Tricia Kennedy).

That’s some heifer, she’s claimed some prizes this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Excellent point! I also have an Irish Draught😀ground is in great condition, grass bounces back and with management, no more than any other animal, weeds can be kept in check.

Coolmore buy a heck of a lot of cattle to run (bad pun. Graze.) with the horses.
    The cattle eat the grass the horses won't and the grazing species break the chance of either cattle or horse parasite burden building up.

That’s some heifer, she’s claimed some prizes this year

???? She's the photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

kowtow wrote: »
    The swiss habit for referendums is brilliant craic.

I remember when we lived there we had the one about whether any more mosques should be allowed to be built. The village voted steadfastly against but (being internationalist) they insisted is was for the protection of paragliders!

Crafty buggers, those Swiss lads

• Advertisement

???? She's the photographer.

Tricia is a brilliant photographer, but the heifer in the pic has won a few grand in prize money

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement