Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

1st and reserve champion was tvr out of bbq cow. Some calf

Is that the heifer that made €6200?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Maybe:). He'll be buyin pints at the weekend anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bought a few of those Christmas stamp booklets in the post office. I only realised after I posted some cheques off that I'd put 50 cent stamps on them instead of 1 euro ones. Must be a new thing to have 50c stamps in them. Hope the cheques arrive now. I assumed they were all 1 euro stamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Lad beside me in work got issued with a new phone yesterday and was asked to sign a disclaimer that if the phone was in any way damaged he would have to pay for it? Surely thats a strange one?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The 2019 RTE calender is out now with the RTE guide.
    June is a nice oul picture. :p

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a strange one.

The sectors (sucklers, hill sheep) that do the most giving out about income, pay/receive the highest prices for stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lad beside me in work got issued with a new phone yesterday and was asked to sign a disclaimer that if the phone was in any way damaged he would have to pay for it? Surely thats a strange one?.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1991/act/25/section/5/enacted/en/html

look at (b)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Company cutting costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tricia is a brilliant photographer, but the heifer in the pic has won a few grand in prize money

Right, gottcha now. :D
    Ya, Tricia is very good at her job, in fairness.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

In our work place first fix is free but there is a contribution for second and third damage for either phone or car. It’s ptetty small but it makes people have more respect for company property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tell them it’s ok, they can have their phone back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The sectors (sucklers, hill sheep) that do the most giving out about income, pay/receive the highest prices for stock.
    You shouldn’t of stopped there ...

These high priced heifers probably won’t feed a calf let alone give birth to one and will be pampered to a level that most humans would only dream of

Comparing these to the ordinary suckler stock is comparing apples and oranges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭148multi

These high priced heifers probably won’t feed a calf let alone give birth to one and will be pampered to a level that most humans would only dream of

These prices are the extremes, but when you see farmers paying 3000, for suckler cows, be lucky to average 1000, a year in weanling sales and maintenance costs in the region of 700 after ten years all they have is cull value less time and labour. Better stop now I'm cutting my own throat.

They're big Chihuahuas then.

A fashion and cultural statement. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »
    Bought a few of those Christmas stamp booklets in the post office. I only realised after I posted some cheques off that I'd put 50 cent stamps on them instead of 1 euro ones. Must be a new thing to have 50c stamps in them. Hope the cheques arrive now. I assumed they were all 1 euro stamps

A cheque book...?
    Stamps....?

What are these things you speak of ? :D

http://www.blessingtonmart.ie/MarketReports/tabid/103/post/sheep-sales-report---23rd-october-2018/Default.aspx
    the ram you pointed out earlier in the year was not normal. the prices in that link are more typical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

I see Bundee aki has a bit of explaining to do to the future missus. Smart phones really don’t help with dip wicking late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

youngest was at the table drawing pictures earlier, she asked oh what would she draw. he says to her, why don't u draw mammy? I'm not good at wrinkles, it'll take too long says she. !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

I see theres a new farming programme starting on Channel 5 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Petrols cheaper than Diesel!!
    When was the last time that happened?!

• Advertisement

Yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Diesels 1.52p here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Odelay wrote: »
    Tell them it’s ok, they can have their phone back.

They wont say it to me cos ill tell them exactly that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Diesel €1.44 in Templemore.1.35 in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

So I am considering installing a long cable tie thing to the knife in the bobcat.....third morning in a row I go to feed the cattle before work and knifes in one of the other two tractors....there has been words!! A cable tie won't work I know but getting slightly annoyed with the father!!! I have even painted the letter B on the handle-my mother has been dispatched to town to buy more knives before full on war erupts!! And it was lashing out the last two mornings!! And my fencing bucket was raided...��! Fun times!

Deal have Stanley types knives for 1.50. I have them everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

L1985 wrote: »
    So I am considering installing a long cable tie thing to the knife in the bobcat.....third morning in a row I go to feed the cattle before work and knifes in one of the other two tractors....there has been words!! A cable tie won't work I know but getting slightly annoyed with the father!!! I have even painted the letter B on the handle-my mother has been dispatched to town to buy more knives before full on war erupts!! And it was lashing out the last two mornings!! And my fencing bucket was raided...��! Fun times!

Screw one of these to the loader arm, with the knife on the end of the lead?

https://www.petworld.ie/dog/dog-leads-and-collars/dog-leads.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just put one in your pocket:D.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just put one in your pocket:D.

of your trousers, your jacket and your rain-trousers and sure as shlt they'll all go missing the same day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Get a pocket knife for Xmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

We are down 4 Stanley knives so far this year-"someone" keeps losing them!!
    I will start keeping my own one just had to rotate coats and trousers a lot this week because of the rain!! Cows must be eating them as this point ����.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Picked up a nice stainless folding knife at the ploughing for €5. I edge it with the small diamond files I got in Lidl. Works a treat and seems to handle the dirt better then the stanley type.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I finally did it! Ordered tags from Cormac on Sunday evening - they arrived this morning!
    The tagger is seriously heavy. I could brain OH no problem if he doesn't hold the calf still for me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Aaaand another bunch of nutters on the loose....

https://www.buzz.ie/news/vegan-activists-storm-steakhouse-force-diners-listen-sounds-animals-slaughtered-308426

As for the claim of the 'quadruple increase' (sic) a quick check reveals that the numbers of same remain at approximately 1% of the UK population and hasn't changed much in the last 10 years ...

:rolleyes:

gozunda wrote: »
    Aaaand another bunch of nutters on the loose....

https://www.buzz.ie/news/vegan-activists-storm-steakhouse-force-diners-listen-sounds-animals-slaughtered-308426

As for the claim of the 'quadruple increase' (sic) a quick check reveals that the numbers of same remain at approximately 1% of the UK population and hasn't changed much in the last 10 years ...

:rolleyes:

The media attention will probably drive more business to that steakhouse, they’ll be booked out for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

KatyMac wrote: »
    I finally did it! Ordered tags from Cormac on Sunday evening - they arrived this morning!
    The tagger is seriously heavy. I could brain OH no problem if he doesn't hold the calf still for me:)

Haha I got a good laugh out of that. They are different taggers alright

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Always handy to have GOOD knifes in specific areas around the place.
    I was helping a guy do cows feet in a crate one time and he opened the front gate and hadn't taken rope fully off of cows leg. She ran nearly tipping the crate over he tried to stop her and ended up falling between her and the crate. If i hadnt of had a good knife on me and cut the rope quick it could of ended alot worse than it did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

If you brain the other half with the taggers, who will hold the calves still then. Half a loaf is better than no bread!!

tanko wrote: »
    If you brain the other half with the taggers, who will hold the calves still then. Half a loaf is better than no bread!!
    Sometimes these things are better done without your oh, believe me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Always handy to have GOOD knifes in specific areas around the place.
    I was helping a guy do cows feet in a crate one time and he opened the front gate and hadn't taken rope fully off of cows leg. She ran nearly tipping the crate over he tried to stop her and ended up falling between her and the crate. If i hadnt of had a good knife on me and cut the rope quick it could of ended alot worse than it did

This is the reason a calving gate should be tied with a rope and never a chain. Hard to get a chain off when a cow goes down and is putting her full weight on the gate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I’ve banned Stanley knives on site, many businesses do, not because we’re worried about lads stabbing each other but because of too many accidents
    Simple things like not using a Stanley knife to cut cable ties on a hydraulic hose but a snips. Sounds simple but seen a lad reef himself with a knife doing that.
    Look into safety knives, be surprised what they can do with out cutting an artery..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Odelay wrote: »
    I’ve banned Stanley knives on site, many businesses do, not because we’re worried about lads stabbing each other but because of too many accidents
    Simple things like not using a Stanley knife to cut cable ties on a hydraulic hose but a snips. Sounds simple but seen a lad reef himself with a knife doing that.
    Look into safety knives, be surprised what they can do with out cutting an artery..

Lad next door was cutting black water pipe with a stanley knife and cut the artery in his leg he was lucky to survive it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Serving my time in the ESB back in the 90s a Stanley knife was on a ban list. Never saw a linesman or electrician using one.
    I do remember one chap hawking a five gallon
    drum of scrapped butchering knives that he picked up in a meat factory. He modified a few for stripping cable. They had decent plastic handles alright but you wouldn't want to be seen using them by superiors as thwy wouldn't have been approved.
    That said my own weapon of choice is an old full length bread knife with a piece of 1/2 inch alkathene bolted on as a handle. Used for cutting big bags of fert and opening bales. An awkward and downright dangerous yoke if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

As a young lad worked in our local Dairygold co op. Always had a stanley for opening boxes and stripping deliveries etc. Messing one day with one of the lads thought I'd cut the sleeve of his overalls. Went a bit deeper than meant and sliced into his arm ! Very lucky

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Lad next door was cutting black water pipe with a stanley knife and cut the artery in his leg he was lucky to survive it

How did he survive that?
    Did he make a tourniquet?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

With accountant earlier and about to submit first accounts for 16 and 17.
    Bit of a double edged sword. First he tells you you made profit. Then tells you what you'll owe the taxman !

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    With accountant earlier and about to submit first accounts for 16 and 17.
    Bit of a double edged sword. First he tells you you made profit. Then tells you what you'll owe the taxman !

Ah sure, at least it’s going to a good cause..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

How did he survive that?
    Did he make a tourniquet?

Binder twine, act of contrition and ambulance.
    before mobiles so that added to the problem

Nothing to do with what's posted above but sometimes you'd have to wonder about humanity and what's the point of some people's motivation.

Semi rant over. :(:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement