Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any background to the story? What was the lad In the van from cork doing there?

Read elsewhere that he bought an engine of the other chap and deal went wrong, not sure of it included fitting the engine or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Birdnuts wrote: »
    i would prefer if David had given that speech in Egypt last week at the Biodiversity Loss conference where the real drivers of extinction were discussed by world governments - and those drivers are still the likes of direct habitat loss, the illegal trade in endangered species, marine plastic pollution etc.

He was kind of able to cover both the climate change and extinction angles at this conference in Poland and it had the attention of everyone being the follow on one after the Paris Agreement in 2015.
    Tbh I never heard of that conference in Egypt till your post. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

I says wrote: »
    Fair play on army wages.

You might need to say it louder.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Don't they always in France.

Poor oul Sir David Attenborough don't know what to think.

Attenborough doesn’t care once he gets his pay cheque from the climate elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just back from A&E.
    Was crossing an old gate this evening when my foot got caught, l fell out over gate landing on my shoulder. So simple it happened. Put out my calvicle and few bruises here and there.
    A very lucky one. If l had came down on my head... it could easily have been curtains.

Will be in sling for few weeks. The good news is I'm on a sabaticle from silage duties. Brother will have to step in.

Take it easy out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Muckit wrote: »
    Just back from A&E.
    Was crossing an old gate this evening when my foot got caught, l fell out over gate landing on my shoulder. So simple it happened. Put out my calvicle and few bruises here and there.
    A very lucky one. If l had came down on my head... it could easily have been curtains.

Will be in sling for few weeks. The good news is I'm on a sabaticle from silage duties. Brother will have to step in.

Take it easy out there!!

Could have been a lot worse as you said. Make the most out of your forced sabbatical! 😀

Dakota Dan wrote: »

I’m not so sure about that.

I’ve always gotten the impression that he’s genuinely put out at the way the environment is being treated. It must be hard after a life of bringing us such wonders and educating people on the fragility of nature - to see things going to pot at you head into your last years. He may well go to tie grave with the idea that a collapse in civilisation is imminent yet ye couldn’t get his message across sufficiently to make people change.

I’ve been working on a project with my daughter on single use plastics and to be honest the figures are staggeringly bad - humans really are a blight on the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

BS. Sure if he didn’t care wouldn’t he deny the whole thing and claim a bigger cheuqe off the oil companies? Who has the deeper pockets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Muckit wrote: »
    Just back from A&E.......!!

Were you shot in the foot? :D

Had to laugh at that video. The first thing he says when he is shot is - 'Ah, me foot Tom'.

Speedy recovery Muckit.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Im wondering how many weanlings around 5 months old would it take to polish off a round bale before it goes off.
    Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Im wondering how many weanlings around 5 months old would it take to polish off a round bale before it goes off.
    Any advice appreciated.

You'd want 15 pulling out of it anyways l would be thinking. All depends on the quality of silage really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

It's fairly leafy silage with a nice bit of seed in it, cut dry and baled straight away so probably not over packed bales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It's fairly leafy silage with a nice bit of seed in it, cut dry and baled straight away so probably not over packed bales

Don't remove all the plastic and net at once. It'll last longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Didn't hear who had the shed full of dismantled transits and plant, but this cultured gentleman has been named... Mod snip. I can't find any sign of this in the public domain. So we'll leave it out at the moment! Thanks. GC
    Here is a link to an article in the Irish Sun naming the individual as Christopher "Blondie" Stokes aged 27.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3476127/family-man-wounded-armed-garda-longford-no-dog/

Also the Garda involved has received death threats and the location of his home has been shared online :mad:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-granard-sergeant-4376795-Dec2018/?fbclid=IwAR194GsqihLZE236qJrib4RVYxnQW95CZvgLOWfEZ7uyhhmFm75Vr0ZCpUk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Base price wrote: »
    Here is a link to an article in the Irish Sun naming the individual as Christopher "Blondie" Stokes aged 27.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3476127/family-man-wounded-armed-garda-longford-no-dog/

Also the Garda involved has received death threats and the location of his home has been shared online :mad:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-granard-sergeant-4376795-Dec2018/?fbclid=IwAR194GsqihLZE236qJrib4RVYxnQW95CZvgLOWfEZ7uyhhmFm75Vr0ZCpUk

Thanks for that.
    Around this time yesterday when I posted the mod note I couldn't find any reference to the individual named in public.
    I knew he was named locally but wasn't happy to allow that at the time.

• Advertisement

And it's common knowledge that the Guard's name is Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The Stokes'. A great bunch of lads :rolleyes:

The Stokes'. A great bunch of lads :rolleyes:

Bram was a quare fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And it's common knowledge that the Guard's name is Tom.

Take a look at Margaret Elizabeth Cash's facebook page ( she of the 7 kids in the Garda Station etc) and you'll find the Guards Linked-In page, details of his last posting before Granard, video of him at a demo etc, etc.
    (If you have ten minutes of your life to waste)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Another scandal in the HSE, A quote from the news.
    ''There is a direct link between the misdiagnoses and the deaths of these patients''
    That's fairly plain anyway, my heart goes out to these victims families

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    BS. Sure if he didn’t care wouldn’t he deny the whole thing and claim a bigger cheuqe off the oil companies? Who has the deeper pockets?
    The oil companies deeper pockets than governments, yeah right.

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m not so sure about that.

I’ve always gotten the impression that he’s genuinely put out at the way the environment is being treated. It must be hard after a life of bringing us such wonders and educating people on the fragility of nature - to see things going to pot at you head into your last years. He may well go to tie grave with the idea that a collapse in civilisation is imminent yet ye couldn’t get his message across sufficiently to make people change.

I’ve been working on a project with my daughter on single use plastics and to be honest the figures are staggeringly bad - humans really are a blight on the environment.

He have a college degree in natural science, there are far more qualified scientists than him that disagree with him. What he is doing is prophecy which has been tried many times before and failed. What makes you think he is any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

He have a college degree in natural science, there are far more qualified scientists than him that disagree with him. What he is doing is prophecy which has been tried many times before and failed. What makes you think he is any better?

Hello Donald trump nice of you to post on boards

The point he was making is that the world is changing because of humans and their modern way of living and if we don't sort ourselves out fairly quick, this world is going to be a lot more sterile of life and polluted by ourselves for when our grandchildren come into this world.

https://youtu.be/mSB71jNq-yQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Base price wrote: »
    Due to the recent protests ^^^ the French government has now delayed proposed minimum food price increases thereby upsetting the farming unions.
    I wonder how long it will take for the farmers to hit the streets :)
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/world-news/france-delays-food-price-rise-for-farmers-after-protests-37597972.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,857 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Gave a lad a cheque in early July for hay, he hasnt cashed it yet, so would you say it to him , in case he has forgotten about it or say nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

whelan2 wrote: »
    Gave a lad a cheque in early July for hay, he hasnt cashed it yet, so would you say it to him , in case he has forgotten about it or say nothing?

If you think a bit about this person it would be a decent thing to remind him. I think cheques are valid only for 6 months so there is a good chance he's forgotten about it or mislaid it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wouldn't to be honest, I'd be doubtful he's forgot about it. There's always the chance that's he's lost it but I'd imagine he'd get in contact with you if that was the case.
    I usually find that being near the over draft limit or generally financially embarrassed is enough to have a raft of uncashed cheques see the light of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,857 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I wouldn't to be honest, I'd be doubtful he's forgot about it. There's always the chance that's he's lost it but I'd imagine he'd get in contact with you if that was the case.
    I usually find that being near the over draft limit or generally financially embarrassed is enough to have a raft of uncashed cheques see the light of day.
    I have been allowing for this cheque every month since july.

Call him, isn’t it what you would want someone to do for you.

Karma, what goes around, etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Kudos on the budgeting, the last point was a bit tongue in cheek.
    Sod's law would be if you spent the allocated fund's on an early Xmas present for yourself the cheque would be lodged the next day.

Called down to neighbours for a difficult calving. Couldn't figure out why I had 3 fcuks of feet coming at me so ended up a section.
    Spine twisted back on himself, bit of a weirdo looking yoke as front of it looks perfect. Just goes arseways around the middle, insides outside too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hopefully it was dead on arrival?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hopefully it was dead on arrival?

Alive inside the cow but once vet knew the story broke the cord inside before taking it out.

If that cow was in the wild, she would be facing a slow painfull death. Take note vegans. The care and attention given by farmers means this won't happen to this cow.

If that cow was in the wild, she would be facing a slow painfull death. Take note vegans. The care and attention given by farmers means this won't happen to this cow.

To be the devils advocate maybe for a healthy low cost trouble free species to continue it would be for the best.
    If it was in the wild she would be gobbled up fairly soon by an apex predator and the species as a whole would continue to have the best and fittest individuals.

In a farm situation, with money troubles and sentimentality the farmer can often breed such a cow again and continue on those genes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Called down to neighbours for a difficult calving. Couldn't figure out why I had 3 fcuks of feet coming at me so ended up a section.
    Spine twisted back on himself, bit of a weirdo looking yoke as front of it looks perfect. Just goes arseways around the middle, insides outside too.

Is it schmallenberg do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

grassroot1 wrote: »

Thats what my first though too, Is iit mid pregnncy they're infected, mid heatwave, say july.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »
    Thats what my first though too, Is iit mid pregnncy they're infected, mid heatwave, say july.

Jard enough make money besides **** like that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Are minerals with a best before date of dec-2015 any good?

The point he was making is that the world is changing because of humans and their modern way of living and if we don't sort ourselves out fairly quick, this world is going to be a lot more sterile of life and polluted by ourselves for when our grandchildren come into this world.

https://youtu.be/mSB71jNq-yQ

7 years ago he said the arctic would be ice free by 2020, that prophecy isn't going too well.

I couldn't tell you if it was Schmallenberg or not! She did carry the full 9 months & 3 weeks on top of it. Comrade with her the whole time calves a few days ago with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,979 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Minerals should be okish but vitamins might be gone out of it. If you are buying I want them at 30% of normal price. If you have them in stock I use them up.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

grassroot1 wrote: »

got an awful doing with it in sheep this year, utter c**t of a virus ,real sickener tying to get them out

7 years ago he said the arctic would be ice free by 2020, that prophecy isn't going too well.

I'm not sure if he said it or not, but it's not something I'd be looking for to prove a point!

Remember our drought this year...
    That was directly linked to a continuing reduction in sea ice in the Arctic and a record hot summer up there.
    What caused the drought was a very weak and wavy jet stream over the northern hemisphere.
    What caused the weak jet stream was a reduced air temperature differential between the tropics and the Arctic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/21/arctics-strongest-sea-ice-breaks-up-for-first-time-on-record

A reduction in arctic sea ice is not good news for us in summer nor in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Had to go to Dun Laoghaire this afternoon to pick up a yoke. I’m about ten minutes from the Finglas junction so another 40mins around.
    Well I missed the turn on the way home to go back on the M50 and had to drive home through the city.
    I dunno how lads and lassies sit in traffic to and from work.
    2 1/2 hours to do 30 odd km! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Had to go to Dun Laoghaire this afternoon to pick up a yoke. :O

You should have told her to get the bus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭148multi

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    You should have told her to get the bus!

That's why he took the scenic route ðŸ˜

Bought few bits from Amazon for Christmas, half came with no packaging to hide what it was.

Got away with it first time but eldest was here yesterday when courier arrived and saw her Christmas gift :(

Just a warning to anyone watching Santa stuff, it’s not all coming in plain packaging.

Same caution probably goes for sex toys ;)

This is stuff fulfilled and dispatched from Amazon themselves rather than separate vendors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭148multi

_Brian wrote: »
    Bought few bits from Amazon for Christmas, half came with no packaging to hide what it was.

Got away with it first time but eldest was here yesterday when courier arrived and saw her Christmas gift :(

Just a warning to anyone watching Santa stuff, it’s not all coming in plain packaging.

Same caution probably goes for sex toys ;)

This is stuff fulfilled and dispatched from Amazon themselves rather than separate vendors.

Did oh get a glimpse as well ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement