Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

grassroot1 wrote: »
    When so many of family members are killed from motor bikes what makes them stay at the sport?

The danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When so many of family members are killed from motor bikes what makes them stay at the sport?

Adrenaline addiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Odelay wrote: »
    Anyone remember the last time they heard a lawnmower going? Almost forgot what they sound like here.

Ive cut mine to the bone!! Tis like Wimbledon!!

Muckit wrote: »

Ya have the ball boys and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Reminds me of when I was a young lad when Wimbledon was on I'd spend all my time at my friends house and we'd pull a string across the lawn and play tennis all day.
    When the Dublin horse show was on we'd set up a load of 'fences' around the lawn and time ourselves running around the place.
    No X boxes or Playstations to melt our brains back then! :D

Simpler times lad, simpler times.

We used pull the net off the oul lads cabbages and make a goal out of it!! We only did it the once !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

had 2 serious close one yesterday evening . I was turning right into my place. Indicator all working on tractor and trailer and a knob in a landcruiser overtook the 2 cars behind me and me just as I went to turn right . full solid white line . There was a second where I said jaysus ill turn into this lad think of the payout lads :D.

and

then later I was coming the opposite way and to turn left I went out on the road to give myself an angle to turn in. indicator on and as I turned in left a transit van went to undertake me .

wount mind the bollix had overtook me about 2km up the road. had then pulled in at a gateway and was out standing at the van and then that.

The sun really effects some people

You need to hold the road when turning. Father thought me that before there were indicators ....or hands! :D

I see the IFJ gone to €3.10. They can f**k right off! Will be going into the classic tractor mag budget!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I see the IFJ gone to €3.10. They can f**k right off! Will be going into the classic tractor mag budget!

Has been €3.10 for ages

whelan2 wrote: »
    Has been €3.10 for ages

Has it?? Just goes to show how observant l am. Tis too much for it l think

You need to hold the road when turning. Father thought me that before there were indicators ....or hands! :D

I was holding the road with the transit as its turning left and im close to a corner (200ft) that's why he almost undertook me. he used enough horn that his woman at home was getting none of it last night :rolleyes:

Going the opposite way with the land cruiser its to dangerous to be out over half the road due to proximity of the corner. a vehicle coming at 80/100kph fairly closes in 200ft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

By holding the road, do you mean stop the traffic?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

By holding the road, do you mean stop the traffic?

More like go over the white line to let cars know your doing a manoevure.

In the army we call it controlling the road. For example if driving a truck you would drive in the middle of two lanes coming up to a roundabout. Stops anyone cutting up your inside or outside while you manoeuvre out onto the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When I started driving a truck years ago my dad said keep 12-18 inches on the inside all the time, that’s your insurance for when you meet an asshole.

I remember I wasn’t long driving, 21ft flat, had 390 square bales on, built out over sides as was usual, a grey haired flucker in a Kilsaran truck wouldn’t even slow when I met him and I was within the hedge trying to avoid him. The auld lad was following and chewed me out over it. Hold the road he said and put manners on him. I was only 18.
    Next day met same lad and I pushed well out and he had no choice but stop, he rolled down the window a sstarted bellowing “do you want the whole road”, I snapped back “I do if it means taking of cnut a like you”, he laughed and pulled in a bit. I would meet him am odd time and he’d give a wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Had a serious run in with a young up himself silage lad today. Little prick flying in his shiny John Deere with mower on the back. On a main road he was well over my side so not to scratch his mudgusrds. I hit the ditch burst tyre buckled wheel headlight broke bumper hanging off. God knows what damage is done to suspension and that. He didn't stop kept goin. I pulled in up the road stopped a car coming in the other direction. Kinda knew the man. Told him what happened he made a couple of phone calls to find out where the prick was goin cutting. We drove up into the field I got out frothing at the mouth. The little prick had the cheek to say I was cutting the corner. If that other man was not with me I would have dragged him out of the tractor and kicked Fxxx out of him. He told me to ring his boss and he would sort it out. Now the boss man is sound. He took my van to the garage to get fixed and gave me one of his vans to keep me goin. He said the same young fella is gone this eve. He said he is only a cheeky little man.
    Sorry for the long rant but bloody young fellas have no cop on. Give them a big shiny tractor and they thing they own the bloody road.
    Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

jimini0 wrote:
    Had a serious run in with a young up himself silage lad today. Little prick flying in his shiny John Deere with mower on the back. On a main road he was well over my side so not to scratch his mudgusrds. I hit the ditch burst tyre buckled wheel headlight broke bumper hanging off. God knows what damage is done to suspension and that. He didn't stop kept goin. I pulled in up the road stopped a car coming in the other direction. Kinda knew the man. Told him what happened he made a couple of phone calls to find out where the prick was goin cutting. We drove up into the field I got out frothing at the mouth. The little prick had the cheek to say I was cutting the corner. If that other man was not with me I would have dragged him out of the tractor and kicked Fxxx out of him. He told me to ring his boss and he would sort it out. Now the boss man is sound. He took my van to the garage to get fixed and gave me one of his vans to keep me goin. He said the same young fella is gone this eve. He said he is only a cheeky little man. Sorry for the long rant but bloody young fellas have no cop on. Give them a big shiny tractor and they thing they own the bloody road. Rant over

Is there anything you would have done differently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The story tells itself.

Donegal. 60kph Massey Ferguson. Exposed Backside to a Garda in pursuit with the sirens on.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/courts/drunk-farmer-exposed-backside-during-pursuit-with-gardai-37094996.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Is there anything you would have done differently?

Ya I'm sorry I didn't pull him out of the tractor

The story tells itself.

Donegal. 60kph Massey Ferguson. Exposed Backside to a Garda in pursuit with the sirens on.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/courts/drunk-farmer-exposed-backside-during-pursuit-with-gardai-37094996.html

No words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Are linked photos acting the cock for anyone else? The start opening and then disappear for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Are linked photos acting the cock for anyone else? The start opening and then disappear for me.

Yeah this was happening me too. So I reported it in the help section to see what is going on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yes, just click on the refresh button top left corner.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yeah this was happening me too. So I reported it in the help section to see what is going on
    Are the fires gone out on the slieve bloom mountains? Havent heards anything in a few days, I think it was you who said they were getting close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭roosterman71

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are the fires gone out on the slieve bloom mountains? Havent heards anything in a few days, I think it was you who said they were getting close

Yeah they got them out last week, but it sparked up again the next day. Haven't heard much from home so I'm assuming all is good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

The story tells itself.

A pre 1988 tractor with a 60,mph box???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Just replied to that thread. Will need to be approved before showing. It's difficult to know where to ask these questions since things were moved around. Takes a bit of getting used to.

A pre 1988 tractor with a 60,mph box???

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibilities for a member of the force to exaggerate figures. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Wasn't there some combination of an engine or gearbox from a 65/165 that could get a '135' to do a crazy speed ? Now an auld fella on the transport box at that speed would be a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

It's one thing to massage statistics slightly to make the force look good.
    The whole situation was farcical, but to possibly double the estimated speed in order to make a dangerous driving charge stick:rolleyes: . One thing those old masseys were not renowned for was their top speed.

Farmer wrote: »
    Wasn't there some combination of an engine or gearbox from a 65/165 that could get a '135' to do a crazy speed ? Now an auld fella on the transport box at that speed would be a different story

I'd be more interested in what special kind of brakes were on that tractor that could cause someone's trousers to fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Grueller

I'd be more interested in what special kind of brakes were on that tractor that could cause someone's trousers to fall off.

Not off of a zetor anyway

Grueller wrote: »
    Not off of a zetor anyway

You gain a pair of trousers on those yokes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Some MF's had multipower gearboxes fitted that boosted their road speed. I doubt any of them managed 38mph/60k even with a good wind behind them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

There is no planetry reduction gear in hubs of 135 but there is in the bigger models, so yes a gear box from a 165 would make a 135 go seriously fast. Removal of the reduction hubs from a 165 would have similar effect.

But 60kph up a Donegal hard shoulder sounds unlikely in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wonder is it true or is it staged

I'd guess staged, look at the container just behind the post, looks very snake sized....
    Though if I did find one i'd be the eejit poking it with a stick.

I'd guess staged, look at the container just behind the post, looks very snake sized....
    Though if I did find one i'd be the eejit poking it with a stick.

Same as that

• Advertisement

Have signed up to do the sprayer course next week. Was pleased to see that the boom course also covers knapsack spraying as long as it is for your own use, i.e. not contracting. Don't know many lads that go contracting with a knapsack sprayer though!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Parishlad wrote: »
    Have signed up to do the sprayer course next week....

Still EUR200 ?

Still EUR200 ?

Yep, with FRS.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Same as that

We're wrong! According to the Leitrim observer it's roaming free.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Have signed up to do the sprayer course next week. Was pleased to see that the boom course also covers knapsack spraying as long as it is for your own use, i.e. not contracting. Don't know many lads that go contracting with a knapsack sprayer though!! :)

booked into 3 different sprayer courses last year and all cancelled as didn't have the numbers then to run it

booked into 3 different sprayer courses last year and all cancelled as didn't have the numbers then to run it

Just checked the course I am booked in to and there are 6 places still available. I think it's 10 in a class so there's probably a good chance that this one will get cancelled too!

Stupid question maybe, but do you need to own a sprayer to do the course? Plan on buying one next year.

Stupid question maybe, but do you need to own a sprayer to do the course? Plan on buying one next year.

No, don't need to own one. Had a few on my course who had to do it as they worked with it.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement