Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to be the first one to test it out

Nor me.
    And to be honest, given the size weight and speed of modern agri machinery, don't think there should be any exemption for them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Different type of reseed going on here tonight #pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just back from tesco. It was crazy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’ll be glad when this Christmas thing is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just back from tesco. It was crazy..

I went in last night at about 10 o clock and it was grand . TK Maxx open till 11 here aswell which was handy . It sure beats mingling with big crowds , I reckon I have social anxiety anyhow cos I just can't deal with crowds anymore

Odelay wrote: »
    I’ll be glad when this Christmas thing is over.

I'm kind of the same, only for the kids I work through it. A load of birthdays around Christmas here too. Roll on February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ah lads will ye eat a few sweets/crisps or have a small drink and relax! :)

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah lads will ye eat a few sweets/crisps or have a small drink and relax! :)

My dad has just plumbed me with wine... I don't know if it's just our family but someone always seems to be sick at Christmas. Thought I had lost daughters main present earlier, so that was panic, bought it in August

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

I know some of the agri stores are open for a few hours tomorrow, so I’m wondering would the tyre places. Flat tyre on tractor this morning... lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Snowfire wrote: »
    I know some of the agri stores are open for a few hours tomorrow, so I’m wondering would the tyre places. Flat tyre on tractor this morning... lovely

Phone them, I’m sure the lads will be delighted with a call out to escape the madness!

Local mobile tyre man here is 24/7 50 euro to fix a puncture including call out fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My dad has just plumbed me with wine... I don't know if it's just our family but someone always seems to be sick at Christmas. Thought I had lost daughters main present earlier, so that was panic, bought it in August

It's not just your family, hospitals are always crowded at Chrstmas so it's common.
    People tend to eat and drink too much as well, putting more pressure on themselves,
    Short days and no sunshine, all in all a perfect storm .......bah humbug :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Apparently there was big protests in Brussels this week from East European farmers and their share of CAP money. You can't blame them really when you see how big a share the fat cats are getting here(including corporations) and across more established EU members in general. The current CAP is one sick puppy on so many levels but will we see the radical reform needed to safeguard the future of rural populations, rural environment and industries related to them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Local mobile tyre man here is 24/7 50 euro to fix a puncture including call out fee

Most are 24/7 now, they have to be able to get lorries moving again in the event of a puncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I just had my local mobile tyre man out this evening at 7 o clock for the new tractor of all things.
    It had perished rubber on the valve on the front wheel. So he replaced the valves on the two front wheels as the other one looked dodgy too.
    I rang him at 1 but he told me then he wouldn't get to me till late. Which was fair enough. He was buying turtles for the son.
    After me he was going to someone else with a flat tractor tyre. This time outside a chipper. :)

I was allowing myself it'd be better today than tomorrow or the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Reggie. wrote: »
    Different type of reseed going on here tonight #pressure

I thought it was gonna be a pic of yer head. :P

There's an area local to me with neighbours not blood related but the common link between them are the cases of cancer that are popping up.
    Every house nearly has someone who has suffered.
    In one case the husband had cancer and now the wife has just been confirmed.

The only link between them all is the area. :(

The only thing I can personally think of is that it's a natural radiation from bedrock underneath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You can have clusters, on chance. Considering one in three will have some form in their lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

There's an area local to me with neighbours not blood related but the common link between them are the cases of cancer that are popping up.
    Every house nearly has someone who has suffered.
    In one case the husband had cancer and now the wife has just been confirmed.

The only link between them all is the area. :(

The only thing I can personally think of is that it's a natural radiation from bedrock underneath?

When we're the houses built?
    The other thing to look at would be the water

I just had my local mobile tyre man out this evening at 7 o clock for the new tractor of all things.
    It had perished rubber on the valve on the front wheel. So he replaced the valves on the two front wheels as the other one looked dodgy too.
    I rang him at 1 but he told me then he wouldn't get to me till late. Which was fair enough. He was buying turtles for the son.
    After me he was going to someone else with a flat tractor tyre. This time outside a chipper. :)

I was allowing myself it'd be better today than tomorrow or the next day.

Will ya be sending the bill to the seller

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    You can have clusters, on chance. Considering one in three will have some form in their lifetime.

This is no chance. It's gone way beyond that in this small area.

If we all took that opinion we wouldn't be testing for radon gas, etc.

ganmo wrote: »
    Will ya be sending the bill to the seller

For the sake of a small few quid. No.

ganmo wrote: »
    When we're the houses built?
    The other thing to look at would be the water

The houses would be all different from hundreds of years old to 15 years old.

They're on the group scheme water supply same as my area and beyond and cancer would be no where near as prevalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I thought it was gonna be a pic of yer head. :P

Ya cheeky bastard :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The houses would be all different from hundreds of years old to 15 years old.

They're on the group scheme water supply same as my area and beyond and cancer would be no where near as prevalent.

When were the pipes laid? A fair bit of asbestos pipes used in the 1960s-70s around the country. They're ok until a new connection is joined on, then the asbestos fibres get in the water supply when the pipes are cut into.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wonder if any houses in the area have had radon detectors installed? Usually they are left for 3 months and then analysed .

Mind you, I once got a trip down the coast from Greenore in a truck, and the driver pointed out every house we passed, and related who had died of cancer in the last 2 years.
    He blamed Sellaefield, across the water.
    That was 20 years ago.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I wonder if any houses in the area have had radon detectors installed? Usually they are left for 3 months and then analysed .

Mind you, I once got a trip down the coast from Greenore in a truck, and the driver pointed out every house we passed, and related who had died of cancer in the last 2 years.
    That was 20 years ago.

Good granite rock area so radon would be a better bet.
    I've only ever heard of asbestos causing lung cancers.
    What type of cancers are they

Water pipes probably in the 60's.

I wouldn't be 100% on what they're made from.

On the radon detectors. I'm not sure if any of them has been tested.
    It's a bit taboo to be saying sorry for the loss of your wife but have you had a radon detector fitted. Unfortunately.

On the radon map. This part of the country would be in a red area.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

That was 20 years ago.

Yes it wasn't just in greenore, nothing was ever proven though, seemed to be a big coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Would I be correct in thinking that a certain farming boardsie has an article in the independent today??

Well done, an interesting read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The U.K. has gone certified bat**** crazy.

Despite a number of amature footage in existence from Gatwick, plus plenty of people who saw a drone, police are now saying that they are investigating the option that there was no drone at the airport at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think they may have used Israeli technology to neutralise them. Then they may not want this displayed in public court. Might be a demand of the Israelis in return for its use.
    Am I in conspiracy theory territory?

Was reading on Sky news that the police actually recovered a damaged drone from the airport grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

had a 4 month old calf looking a bit off Saturday, got the vet yesterday, said he'd pneumonia and a raised heart beat but looked fairly ok.....4 feet up this morning and no collection till a few days..ffs

Dozer1 wrote: »
    had a 4 month old calf looking a bit off Saturday, got the vet yesterday, said he'd pneumonia and a raised heart beat but looked fairly ok.....4 feet up this morning and no collection till a few days..ffs

Shiit
    Mild enough weather too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Oh asked me to mind lads this morning and swore blind she would be home by 9am. 12:30 before I got into sheds and a cow has calves a few weeks early: reckon calved around 7-8am. Dunno will she do. Last year of calving for me I’d say. I’ll have to change system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Oh asked me to mind lads this morning and swore blind she would be home by 9am. 12:30 before I got into sheds and a cow has calves a few weeks early: reckon calved around 7-8am. Dunno will she do. Last year of calving for me I’d say. I’ll have to change system.

I know that feeling. I gave up lambing for that reason. Unless your able to drop things and go lambing or calving is a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Muckit wrote: »
    Something tells me l was supporting your local club! :D No I'm not going to it but sounds good

Here's a promotion clip to help you change your mind...

A pint if you can identify any of the locations .....

https://www.facebook.com/KevinRoweEvents/videos/360658884499278/

I hated seeing the cows going but with working away from the house and not many lads locally I’d call on for a hand it had to happen.

Not having a good neighbor is a big miss. Had a great lad I could call on but even he is working more and more off farm to keep the show on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

_Brian wrote: »
    I hated seeing the cows going but with working away from the house and not many lads locally I’d call on for a hand it had to happen.

Not having a good neighbor is a big miss. Had a great lad I could call on but even he is working more and more off farm to keep the show on the road.

It’ll kill me but it kills me with stress when stuff like this happens.

And I have none. All farmers are dead and gone or working part time. If I were to get stuck with the tractor- it could be a week there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Advice needed.
    A 2 month old heifer calf hurt her leg last week. Got herself tangled up in feed barrier ars3 stuck and one back leg in passage way and one still inside. Found her lying down in a heap with arse and leg stuck. Vet reckons nothing broke but nerve and muscle damage in hip area. Gave me 3 shots of anti inflammatorys. Which I gave last jab yesterday. She is still not right. Her leg seems to be twisted outwards slightly. What would ye do? Let it heal in time? More drugs? Another visit from vet?

It’ll kill me but it kills me with stress when stuff like this happens.

And I have none. All farmers are dead and gone or working part time. If I were to get stuck with the tractor- it could be a week there.

We’re lamdlocked with 5 bachelors, two are raving alcoholics, one is pure antisocial and the other two both had strokes in last two years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

jimini0 wrote: »
    Advice needed.
    A 2 month old heifer calf hurt her leg last week. Got herself tangled up in feed barrier ars3 stuck and one back leg in passage way and one still inside. Found her lying down in a heap with arse and leg stuck. Vet reckons nothing broke but nerve and muscle damage in hip area. Gave me 3 shots of anti inflammatorys. Which I gave last jab yesterday. She is still not right. Her leg seems to be twisted outwards slightly. What would ye do? Let it heal in time? More drugs? Another visit from vet?

Time. The outward twist is a sign I associate with a dislocated hip.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advice needed.

I had one got stuck in a round feeder about 2 months ago. She got anti inflammatory injections and is back 100 per cent now. You wouldnt know her now.

greysides wrote: »
    Time. The outward twist is a sign I associate with a dislocated hip.

That's what I thought but vet checked and she said it's swollen in the hip. And it could take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. I just hate to see an animal in pain or discomfort.

• Advertisement

I had one got stuck in a round feeder about 2 months ago. She got anti inflammatory injections and is back 100 per cent now. You wouldnt know her now.

How long did you give it inflammatorys for?

How long did you give it inflammatorys for?

The vet gave her 2 injections. I assume one was pain relief and the other anti inflammatory. I did think she was a lost cause at the beginning but I put her in a deep bedded straw shed on her own and looked after her well. She went back in with her mates about 3 weeks later. If I get a chance later I'll look up what injections she got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

had a 4 month old calf looking a bit off Saturday....4 feet up this morning and no collection till a few days..ffs

**** on it anyways

Leave him out for santy!

The vet gave her 2 injections. I assume one was pain relief and the other anti inflammatory. I did think she was a lost cause at the beginning but I put her in a deep bedded straw shed on her own and looked after her well. She went back in with her mates about 3 weeks later. If I get a chance later I'll look up what injections she got

I have her in solitary confinement on straw bed. I let the cow into her for a suck twice a day. She is eating hay and meal so happy out in her little bed. I know time and patience is key but I just worry about these things I'm just over thinking it I suppose

Imagine if this was that £160,000 ram sold lately. :eek:

Still bull**** though.
    The continued reduction in people's IQ never fails to disappoint. :(

https://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/news/17006740.bad-sport-on-islay/

It seems the sheep shooter is in trouble with plod.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6526885/US-hunter-boasted-gunning-animals-trip-Scottish-island-faces-criminal-charges.html

She's a real catch. That one!..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement