Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We went to half 6 mass. We had no priest in our parish here for a good while this year. We have a stand in priest now. He had a screen on the altar with the santa tracker on it. Had the kids up on the stage instead of a homily. Church was packed. I prayed for ye all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    We went to half 6 mass. We had no priest in our parish here for a good while this year. We have a stand in priest now. He had a screen on the altar with the santa tracker on it. Had the kids up on the stage instead of a homily. Church was packed. I prayed for ye all

Went at 6 ourselves.
    Heaving with people, say he wishes for that crowd all year round.

Home from visiting my mam there and settled in for the night.

Just waiting on the big fella now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

When I was a teenager I always made sure to go to the specticle that was midnight Mass in our local Church. That was in the time when midnight Mass started at half eleven. We had a very cranky priest who would give out to the group of ineberated local lads who gathered at the back of the Church :)

Base price wrote: »
    When I was a teenager I always made sure to go to the specticle that was midnight Mass in our local Church. That was in the time when midnight Mass started at half eleven. We had a very cranky priest who would give out to the group of ineberated local lads who gathered at the back of the Church :)

The mass was lovely. At one stage a kid ran up the aisle with it's dad running up after it. The lights were turned off and we used the torches on our phones while we sang silent night. Kids really enjoyed it.

Base price wrote: »

There’s still a 12 midnight mass here.
    It’s a very mixed audience indeed, haven’t been in near 30 years, was always a few falling abkut, amd I remember one year a lad started puking his ring up about the place, that bit wasn’t so Christmassy at all.

Most people around here are glad there's a mass at all. A few weeks there no priest turned up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You'd never think of the Australian aboriginal people as an agricultural farming society.

Podcast from an Aussie dispelling a lot of myths started by the ruling authorities.
    https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2016/02/01/4397892.htm

Merry Christmas boardsie's one and all.
    May it be enjoyed rather than endured and to all the livestock farmers happy Tuesday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Most people around here are glad there's a mass at all. A few weeks there no priest turned up at all.

They're training lay people in our church around here now, my sister in law trained in her fifties, they only get expenses.......she was looking after Shinrone up to lately, have to say she's very conscientious.
    Public speaking ability leaves abit to be desired with some

Fr Ted Christmas special, still great 20 years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Fr Ted Christmas special, still great 20 years later

It's the largest lingerie dept in Ireland I believe :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

8pm mass here- but late for my liking but my 4yo loved it.

The priest had all the primary school children bring their baby Jesus from home and he blessed them and then everyone sang happy birthday to baby Jesus.

On another note, calf has warmed up a bit and is up sucking- mothers milk isn’t great so I’ve given her some colostrum and will give another bit later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wrangler wrote: »
    They're training lay people in our church around here now, my sister in law trained in her fifties, they only get expenses.......she was looking after Shinrone up to lately, have to say she's very conscientious.

mate of mine is a lay reader for years, don't know where he get the time but gets everything done

another acquaintance took early retirement with a view of getting ordained, (offering to pay his own way through whatever training process ) however the powers that be, decided that he wasn't/wouldn't be aptly qualified

I have lost contact but believe he is an Anglican Minister somewhere in Scotland now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

orm0nd wrote: »
    mate of mine is a lay reader for years, don't know where he get the time but gets everything done

another acquaintance took early retirement with a view of getting ordained, (offering to pay his own way through whatever training process ) however the powers that be, decided that he wasn't/wouldn't be aptly qualified

I have lost contact but believe he is an Anglican Minister somewhere in Scotland now,

We only get a proper clergyman about one sunday a month so I suspect some clergy might be taking advantage of the free help...
    As I've said before I'm an atheist (thank god :D) so not really perturbed but some are...... They would prefer a real clergyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

It’s all clergywoman now in these parts in the Coi. No particular shortage of clergy or churches. More a shortage of bums on pews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There would be now problem IMO if priests could be men or women or indeed gender fluid (or indeed any 1 of the many other sections of our community people identify with).

A priest should also be allowed marry IMO if they so wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The local C of I clergywoman has a very ueseful husband....
    He has a self-propelled and cuts silage on the country!

Merry Christmas to all you Boardies, and a happy and prosperous 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Theres 4 clergy men in these parts that were priests but were corrupted by fair maidens!

Santa’s been and everyone settled and relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

_Brian wrote: »
    Santa’s been and everyone settled and relaxed.

Did Rudolf eat his snacks

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    Did Rudolf eat his snacks

I can confirm Santa did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Bullocks wrote: »

Laaaangerie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Bullocks wrote: »

Filmed in the dunnes stores in ennis!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Have got asked to Christmas dinner by 3 different neighbouring/local families. One eat around 1pm, another around 4pm and the third around 7 or 8 when they get all farming work done as they milk quite a few cows over the winter. Reminds me of the episode of Vicar of Dibley, but I declined all offers and while i appreciate their offers I don't want anybody wondering why i went to one family over another.

Anyway, Happy and Peaceful Christmas to you all and your families as I know this is a time when many of you may have particularly poignant memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Have got asked to Christmas dinner by 3 different neighbouring/local families. One eat around 1pm, another around 4pm and the third around 7 or 8 when they get all farming work done as they milk quite a few cows over the winter. Reminds me of the episode of Vicar of Dibley, but I declined all offers and while i appreciate their offers I don't want anybody wondering why i went to one family over another.

Anyway, Happy and Peaceful Christmas to you all and your families as I know this is a time when many of you may have particularly poignant memories.

Many happy returns......always enjoy that episode, hope the day is good to you

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

I gave decent gift vouchers for five different lads that helped me out, or did me a turn during the year as a thanks gesture. Only one bothered to text me to say thanks.... bah humbug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Snowfire wrote: »
    I gave decent gift vouchers for five different lads that helped me out, or did me a turn during the year as a thanks gesture. Only one bothered to text me to say thanks.... bah humbug

Oh been there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Snowfire wrote: »

give them chance, give them chance! it's Christmas after all.they will have to sober up first. and then they won't bother either. 🎅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks Daisy xxx

Santa has been here. Managed to keep them in bed until nearly 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I should hire the cat out to parents with suspicious kids. Idiot was on the roof at 12.30am, clattering about like a tiny drunk santa :pac:

Merry Christmas all!

• Advertisement

I should hire the cat out to parents with suspicious kids. Idiot was on the roof at 12.30am, clattering about like a tiny drunk santa :pac:

Merry Christmas all!

What did you do after with your brother coming home? Did you pre warn your mother or surprise her. Happy Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

What did you do after with your brother coming home? Did you pre warn your mother or surprise her. Happy Christmas

Told Dad but didn't tell Mum, she loved it! Almost dropped when he walked in the front door :D

Santa has been here. Managed to keep them in bed until nearly 5

Gosh that’s early.
    7am here.

Had my brother and family over for a quick fried breakfast there.

Both myself and herself have colds and respetory things, poor nights sleep, wrecked already

Told Dad but didn't tell Mum, she loved it! Almost dropped when he walked in the front door :D

Wonderful surprise, I’d say your mum loved it !!
    Fair play to ye

_Brian wrote: »
    Gosh that’s early.
    7am here.

Had my brother and family over for a quick fried breakfast there.

Both myself and herself have colds and respetory things, poor nights sleep, wrecked already

From 3am every 10 minutes young lad wanted to know if santa had been....will be a long day

Marathon present opening session for the girls here.
    Coffee with Bailies cream to sustain me !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Dad just went into hospital again-bit of a kick in the teeth as he had been doing v well. Itl be ok have relatives coming over so just pushed the dinner time back. You have to wonder sometimes around timing!! He will be out in a couple of days-he just picked up a infection but His tractor seat will have to wait to be opened!!! Hope everyone's xmas is going well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

L1985 wrote: »
    Dad just went into hospital again-bit of a kick in the teeth as he had been doing v well. Itl be ok have relatives coming over so just pushed the dinner time back. You have to wonder sometimes around timing!! He will be out in a couple of days-he just picked up a infection but His tractor seat will have to wait to be opened!!! Hope everyone's xmas is going well. :)

He’ll be delighted with the seat. Santa Came here and brought the lads a playhouse. A wooden indoor one. They’re happy out. The 7month old only cries when he is taken out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

wrangler wrote: »

I'm in training for ordained ministry!!! (Church of Ireland, also in mid 50s). This time of the year I'm busier with preaching than with farming! Will be ordained, if all goes according to plan, in September next year, so will be able to bring loads of blessing upon all ye boardies!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

That episode of the Vicar of Dibley was on a couple of evenings ago - if that were me I'd have gone to all three!
    Have a good Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Went to the local Leitrim "Ice breakers" dip.
    Bloody hell, it was so warm when we got out......

Home made "brandy" now needed .....

L1985 wrote: »

Hope he’s feeling better soon !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Beidh aonach amarachb a farming program on tg4 starts on 10/1

Anyone else notice it's very warm today. Haven't lit the fire yet

Lit the fire at 10am !!!
    Bloody hell its mild.

Just in from tending stock there and was swealtering in the pull ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Went to the local Leitrim "Ice breakers" dip.
    Bloody hell, it was so warm when we got out......

Home made "brandy" now needed .....

Fair play to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Sweating like a lunatic all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

My 4 year old nephew is much further along with his yard development than I am, cubicle shed, cow's, ration bin even has his own cement mixer now to keep going. I must have a look at his 10 yr plan see if I can learn something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Mooooo wrote: »
    My 4 year old nephew is much further along with his yard development than I am, cubicle shed, cow's, ration bin even has his own cement mixer now to keep going. I must have a look at his 10 yr plan see if I can learn something!

maybe have a peek at his profit monitor as well :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement