Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Happy New Year ladies & gents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As I heard Prince Charles say on TV a few years ago (first time I heard the full phrase):

"Many happy returns of the day."

Miggeldy would express the same sentiment 'as Gaeilge':

Go mbeirimíd beo ar an am seo arís.

Translation: May we be alive at this time again.

That's a bit mad, Ted!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

jimini0 wrote: »
    Advice needed.
    A 2 month old heifer calf hurt her leg last week. Got herself tangled up in feed barrier ars3 stuck and one back leg in passage way and one still inside. Found her lying down in a heap with arse and leg stuck. Vet reckons nothing broke but nerve and muscle damage in hip area. Gave me 3 shots of anti inflammatorys. Which I gave last jab yesterday. She is still not right. Her leg seems to be twisted outwards slightly. What would ye do? Let it heal in time? More drugs? Another visit from vet?
    Well after further investigation it turns out her knee is dislocated. It's too late to reset it so she will have a bad limp for the rest of her days. Now to find someone to take her off my hands is the next challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭148multi

Well after further investigation it turns out her knee is dislocated. It's too late to reset it so she will have a bad limp for the rest of her days. Now to find someone to take her off my hands is the next challenge.

Perhaps restrict movement and fatten off cow ?

148multi wrote: »
    Perhaps restrict movement and fatten off cow ?

Might have to do that. We don't fatten our own but it's goin to be hard to find someone to take her

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

As above restricting movement and fattening may be an option but at only 2 months there is a while to go yet.
    A dry sheltered spot outside would be my preference, it means more work as regards feeding but should make a difference. I have hip and knee trouble myself and standing on concrete for long periods makes it worse. If you could turn out the calf and her dam into a suitable spot I'd be fairly sure it would help with her mobility.
    If you could get her through to the springtime she'll be older and you'll have more options. Perhaps wean her next May and give her a good do outside on grass and aim to kill next July?
    I know it seems like a disaster but it could be worse, a heifer calf will be easier fleshed than a bull in a situation like this. I find bull calves unless very butty tend to keep growing when pushed with feeding where as heifers develop flesh.
    I'd be sussing out a local butcher that kills his own, a young prime heifer well fleshed should suit him ideally. All you can do is try to salvage the situation as best you can, these things happen with stock.

She is actually 4 months. Don't know why I said 2 in my original post. They have access to a field beside shed. I had her confined to a straw bed for past 2 weeks but was advised to get her exercise. So I let her out in the mornings and back in at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

She is actually 4 months. Don't know why I said 2 in my original post. They have access to a field beside shed. I had her confined to a straw bed for past 2 weeks but was advised to get her exercise. So I let her out in the mornings and back in at night.

if you could get her to 300kgs lw she would b fine,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

if you could get her to 300kgs lw she would b fine,

Would ye kill this size often and how would the meat be? It seems a nice size to kill for a household

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was in traffic behind a tractor today, I'd say for about 4 or 5 miles. Just the tractor not towing anything. He never pulled in to let anything by, there was places to do this. I just thought what an ignorant fooker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pressure washer all day.

Jesus, would drag the damn arms outta your shoulders !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Pressure washer all day.

Jesus, would drag the damn arms outta your shoulders !!

I do find that it does be hard on the wrists too

Reggie. wrote: »
    I do find that it does be hard on the wrists too

Light weight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Light weight

Bite me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Went for a walk down by the river this afternoon to clear the head-flood has caused me a serious level of agro! At least Ten stakes down and wire everywhere across three fields....not even thinking about it as that can be Feb/march's job!!
    Didn't clear my head anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Bullocks wrote: »
    Would ye kill this size often and how would the meat be? It seems a nice size to kill for a household

The back end of the year ya we would kill nice ones coming straight off the cow kind from 340 upwards baby beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0rQ_oeDYvsQ

Not farming related, but something to be aware of, I didn’t realise how easily thieves could break the standard euro house door lock.
    There are anti snap locks available, but hardly any of the door companies fit them as standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Odelay wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0rQ_oeDYvsQ

Not farming related, but something to be aware of, I didn’t realise how easily thieves could break the standard euro house door lock.
    There are anti snap locks available, but hardly any of the door companies fit them as standard.

Anti-snap definitely worth fitting, but in that video someone has had too long of a lock barrel fitted previously.
    They come in various lengths to fit varying thickness doors.
    They should be flush with the door surface.
    No way a burglar should be able to get a grip on them with a vise-grips or adjustable spanner.

Look up "lock bumping" videos if you really want to be worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

The thruth about vegans on ch4 at 10pm tonight....should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Talking to a woman in town this morning and she was telling me a story she had heard over 'the Christmas.'
    Probably been told many times before, but I never heard it.

A family were over from America last summer to look up were their family had originated. As they were staying with family in Clare, they suggested that they go to match making festival in Lisdoonvarna for the atmosphere etc which was on at the time. So of they go, man and wife in front of car and his elderly mother (mid 80's) sitting in the back. Getting somewhat lost, they stopped to ask some lad the way to the match making festival. He directed them as best he could and then looked into the back of the car and said
    'By God lad, your going to have your work cut out to get anyone to take that one'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Have one of the squad here in final year UCC food marketing course, undertaking a product development.
    If anyone would have a few minutes to complete a survey, it would be greatly appreciated. It's completely anonymous so your boards identity is completely safe...many thanks

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRAv2gSOD_4dJC1tW7ZFDwOnU7fIKjMRhrFH-c9m-e-3fXVQ/viewform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

alps wrote: »
    Have one of the squad here in final year UCC food marketing course, undertaking a product development.
    If anyone would have a few minutes to complete a survey, it would be greatly appreciated. It's completely anonymous so your boards identity is completely safe...many thanks

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRAv2gSOD_4dJC1tW7ZFDwOnU7fIKjMRhrFH-c9m-e-3fXVQ/viewform

I give it a whirl, the " how long online" question kept coming back "invalid time"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I give it a whirl, the " how long online" question kept coming back "invalid time"
    If you stay online for 2 hours, it goes in as 2:00, I think.

Completed it there it's missing an age category between 46 and 50. Didn't apply to me as I'm much younger than that

Completed it there it's missing an age category between 46 and 50. Didn't apply to me as I'm much younger than that

Of course ya are

Of course ya are

Oh is 50 today. He's in total denial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I did it there, it worked OK for me anyhow

Alright, which one of you left a fecking Jacob ram into my flock?
    YtGqVFU.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Muckit wrote: »
    Holy Mother of Sweet Devine....
    Definitely buying one of these for the missus!

Did you get your big ball sorted today Muckit?

Maybe it's a geep Buford :D

• Advertisement

Oh is 50 today. He's in total denial

Not only him it seems :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Alright, which one of you left a fecking Jacob ram into my flock?
    YtGqVFU.jpg

That's a Geep!!

Hairy legs and ..back on the fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Done and dusted, it made me think, my eating habits aren't as healthy as I thought.

That's a Geep!!

Hairy legs and ..back on the fecker.
    I better call him Jesus so because it must be an immaculate conception, no goat within miles of here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I better call him Jesus so because it must be an immaculate conception, no goat within miles of here.

You're famous already.

https://youtu.be/P9m0zY8MJu0

Remember that time you were in killorglin and ye had a few too many..

• Advertisement

You're famous already.

https://youtu.be/P9m0zY8MJu0

Remember that time you were in killorglin and ye had a few too many..
    'Tis worse, I don't remember being in Killorglin at all:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Any shifty looking horses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

???
    But..... but.... Mary was the Immaculate conception :p

emaherx wrote: »
    ???
    But..... but.... Mary was the Immaculate conception :p
    And there 'may' have been questions about who Joseph actually was:pac:
    But Jesus was definitely there.

Have you many lambed, how's it going?

• Advertisement

What would 804 be like for filling in low spots in a driveway?

What would 804 be like for filling in low spots in a driveway?

No bother

No bother

Grand so. Ya free Saturday? :D

Grand so. Ya free Saturday? :D

Doing my hair

Doing my hair

That shouldn't take long in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

Doing my hair

Have you many lambed, how's it going?

20 lambed, going grand atm. Lost a ewe yesterday with a deformed lamb, should have copped it sooner but that's the only problem so far.

Had a good few drinks New Years eve at a friend's house and had 4 ewes and 9 lambs to sort out at 3am when I got back. Managed to match them all up thankfully.

Never drinking again though:pac:

emaherx wrote: »

Takes awhile to wax it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

* This is important to farmers where their Veterinary practice is not located on their doorstep. The Veterinary Council now requires Vets to visit our farms every 30 days to comply with their requirements.
    Today I came across this via a friends FB page
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/donegal-farmer-loses-vet-service-430026

I previously read this article early in November - https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/veterinary-council-clamps-down-on-helicopter-vets/ - as an aside agriland misspelled the Presidents name :(
    I don't want to rattle anyone's cages but there is a big difference between "code of conduct" and the law of the land, see - https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/veterinarymedicinesresidues/informationforfarmersaboutanimalremedies/prescriptionmedicinespom/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    * This is important to farmers where their Veterinary practice is not located on their doorstep. The Veterinary Council now requires Vets to visit our farms every 30 days to comply with their requirements.
    Today I came across this via a friends FB page
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/donegal-farmer-loses-vet-service-430026

I previously read this article early in November - https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/veterinary-council-clamps-down-on-helicopter-vets/ - as an aside agriland misspelled the Presidents name :(
    I don't want to rattle anyone's cages but there is a big difference between "code of conduct" and the law of the land, see - https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/veterinarymedicinesresidues/informationforfarmersaboutanimalremedies/prescriptionmedicinespom/

Who pays for the cost of these 30 day visits ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement