Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

A right miserable pair that own that restaurant whelan. Always took a share of tips even back in the days when they had 80 to 100 customers every night back in the early 00s. Lady owner used to give out hell when tips were shared like this in place she worked in before there. All nice to you on the floor and then sneer and criticize behind the kitchen door. Not a nice couple at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,857 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

2018na wrote: »
    A right miserable pair that own that restaurant whelan. Always took a share of tips even back in the days when they had 80 to 100 customers every night back in the early 00s. Lady owner used to give out hell when tips were shared like this in place she worked in before there. All nice to you on the floor and then sneer and criticize behind the kitchen door. Not a nice couple at all
    I think you have a different place to where we went. The place we went to was set up by a former government minister and his wife. Run by their daughter now. I know we're you are talking about. Haven't had a meal there in years. We would get a take away there as a treat sometimes. Way too dear

The whole cup of coffee thing is gone crazy too. 2.50 to 3 quid anywhere you look for a cup of often very average coffee. I'll make my own thanks.

Then alot of places have very different coffee, can't drink Costa coffee as I'd be bouncing off the walls after it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah was thinking as they are 11k new

Where/what type of tank can ya get for 11k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We didn't pay too much more than that for a new 2600 gallon agrimac tanker a few years ago

whelan2 wrote: »
    We didn't pay too much more than that for a new 2600 gallon agrimac tanker a few years ago

Unfortunately that was a few years ago. Prices on machines are sharply only going one way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Steaks must be the biggest profit item in a restaurant, I'd rather order something that I wouldn't normally be bothered to cook at home.

Having said that a 20 oz sirloin would probably sway me from my frugal habits.

I feel the same. A steak doesn’t really test a chefs skill.

If you really want to make their day order a well done steak. They pick out the toughest bits of boot leather and save that for well done only.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I feel the same. A steak doesn’t really test a chefs skill.

If you really want to make their day order a well done steak. They pick out the toughest bits of boot leather and save that for well done only.

I can never understand why anybody would order steak well done. It defeats the entire purpose of good tender meat in that it's going to be fryed into a lump of stewing beef.
    I like my steak seared on the outside and almost untouched on the inside. My better half would previously have ordered her steak well done. This was until I explained that it would be cheaper for her to order the lamb chops and that the end products would be almost indistinguishable from each other. Since beginning to order her steak medium done she is a convert and enjoys it more than ever.
    As for the comment that steak is not a test of a chef's abilities I would whole heartly disagree. The amount of places I've seen serving steaks which could only be described as burnt or otherwise poorly cooked is astonishing.
    It takes some level of skill to cook even a well done steak without burning it, even more skill is required to cook a rare or medium. I don't order steak in establishments I'm unfamiliar with unless I am otherwise advised. A lot of so called chef's struggle to cook an all day breakfast nevermind cook a steak to someone's wishes. I would agree that ordering it well done definitely plays into there hands.

The other rip off is charging 2 to 3 euro supplement for roast beef on a lunch menu. Surely lamb, salmon etc are more or less the same price as beef atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Happy belated birthday
    Thanks.

I'm hitting that age where it's more of a relief than a joy at having another birthday:D

Wish your OH a happy birthday from us as well:)

Shanahans?

I've yet to frequent Shanahans although I have heard great things about it. A visit is on my bucket list for the not too distant future.
    Texas steakout in Limerick city is the restaurant in question. We discovered it a few years ago on a weekend away and have planned multiple mini breaks around it ever since. I think that tells you all you need to know about the high quality of the entire experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Yesterday is probably the best day in the year to have a birthday! :pac:

We went to an Asian restaurant yesterday, really nice food there and huge portions. And you get to fill your own cone for dessert. Happy out but trying to get my bloods back under control today was a pain.
    Daughter was in one of those yesterday with her friends, cones a big attraction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I've yet to frequent Shanahans although I have heard great things about it. A visit is on my bucket list for the not too distant future.
    Texas steakout in Limerick city is the restaurant in question. We discovered it a few years ago on a weekend away and have planned multiple mini breaks around it ever since. I think that tells you all you need to know about the high quality of the entire experience.

Forget the Texas Steaxout and go straight across the street to the,Jasmine Palace Chinese. This is one classy spot and squeaky clean.
    All you can eat, self service lunch buffet. It even does mashed spud and few trad irish stuff. Cone machine and dessert section for after. It's a find. Go hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Unfortunately that was a few years ago. Prices on machines are sharply only going one way

Paid 17,500 for a ex-demo 2500 gallon galvanized hi-spec last spring, trailing-shoe ready with brackets and extra fill-points, the tank to buy new at the time was north of 25k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Daughter is 15 next week. She had 5 of her friends over today. They headed off up the fields at 4pm in their runners. They arrived back after 5 after walking through the collecting yard on the way back. I could hear them laughing from the other side of the yard. Washing machine has been going here since. Great to be young
    good honest "clean" fun..
    great to see kids at it still

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Paid 17,500 for a ex-demo 2500 gallon galvanized hi-spec last spring, trailing-shoe ready with brackets and extra fill-points, the tank to buy new at the time was north of 25k

Sure 26k is the cost of a galvanised 2100 gal tanker with dribble bars. That tanker would be a rob at 25k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What were they up to though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Muckit wrote: »
    Forget the Texas Steaxout and go straight across the street to the,Jasmine Palace Chinese. This is one classy spot and squeaky clean.
    All you can eat, self service lunch buffet. It even does mashed spud and few trad irish stuff. Cone machine and dessert section for after. It's a find. Go hungry.

Was a fan of the Texas steakout, it's about 10 years since I was there last and I thought it was gone down hill a lot. What's it like these times?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely keep it mind the next time we're in the city. Both of us are partial to the Chinese cuisine so we'll give it a try.
    I'm a creature of habit in many ways, no more so than in my eating habits. I do however place weight on people's recommendations and glory in finding another enjoyable dining experience. We're soon due another few days away before the madness that is spring time commences, I can't wait although my diet will suffer haha!!

Was a fan of the Texas steakout, it's about 10 years since I was there last and I thought it was gone down hill a lot. What's it like these times?

Everyone is probably sick of hearing of my eating habits by now but I could only say good things about Texas steakout. I have no connection to the establishment or indeed Limerick city but I do enjoy the dining experience offered by the above.
    We've only started frequenting it in recent years so have no knowledge of it before then. From reading on-line reviews from the end of the 2000's and there abouts it seems the experience would have been very different. I don't know if management or whatever was different but it seemed to have a very poor reputation at the time. Again I can only speak for our experience in recent years and I would rate it A1 and recommend to friends etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Daughter was in one of those yesterday with her friends, cones a big attraction

Is this the wok star ? I think they're a chain,there's one in Arklow and you couldn't eat what they put in front of you,there's so much of it
    Gorgeous Tucker
    They do take away and are open at lunch time,so it's all I can do to stop running in for one
    Favourite is a pad thai with a bottle of Asahi :D
    ( I've seen old episodes of Dallas where they have bottles of bud in the back of the pick up while herding :pac: )

The cone machine is a nice touch,though pulling one is a skill that takes much practice ( thankfully :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Sure 26k is the cost of a galvanised 2100 gal tanker with dribble bars. That tanker would be a rob at 25k

The tams scheme has the price drove mental to be fair, if buying a belmac which I’d say the above is due to price if you where to spec it with 30.5 tyres/jurop pump and a few other bits you’d be into 30k fairly quickly.....
    2300 gallon painted hi-spec on 28.1 tyres/one fill-point/no brackets/standard pump was priced at 18,000

Would there normally be this much crows around at this time of year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

shagging scraper gave up during the night. making noise but no movement. it's a dairymaster clean sweep. anyone come across this before? checked the oil and there's plenty in her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    shagging scraper gave up during the night. making noise but no movement. it's a dairymaster clean sweep. anyone come across this before? checked the oil and there's plenty in her.

Is it hammering ie changing oil flow direction at high speed

Sounds like the oil pressure. You can adjust that on the top of the pump. Was there an oil leak recently?

No hammering, no oil leak that I can make out. just the constant noise of the motor running but no movement. the oil level is fine in it but hasn't been changed in quite a while. would an old dirty oil filter cause this I wonder? cleaned it all out there powered the whole thing off and started it again and it when once but wouldn't return if you know what I mean.

No hammering, no oil leak that I can make out. just the constant noise of the motor running but no movement. the oil level is fine in it but hasn't been changed in quite a while. would an old dirty oil filter cause this I wonder? cleaned it all out there powered the whole thing off and started it again and it when once but wouldn't return if you know what I mean.
    Still sounds like the oil pressure. Could be air locked. There's a dial on the pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Grueller

Open the box that contains the ram. There will be a little circular coil (Black cylinder) with an electronic connection to it at the base of the ram. Remove the electrical connection. Open the bolt holding the coil (15mm iirc). Replacement coil is about €30. That is your most likely problem. If not you have a spare coil for when it does give up.
    I have 2 scrapers so when it happens I can interchange the coils to check if thats it.

• Advertisement

I've the same scrapers, the only time this happens is if it's slightly low in oil (or if there's a leak)
    Even slightly low is enough to stop it like that giving just the hum
    The coil or the spring going usually means it will scrape for 2 cubicles and stop ,then do another 2 lengths if turned back on etc or do the length of a house stopping and starting overnight if on the timer,so try the oil first,some models may be different?
    Also if that works you could have a busted seal around the ram which would mean a tiny but enough of a leak over time to stop it running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Has she stopped at one end of the shed, or mid stroke? If at the end of the she’s it is likely to be the coil as described above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

alps wrote: »
    Have one of the squad here in final year UCC food marketing course, undertaking a product development.
    If anyone would have a few minutes to complete a survey, it would be greatly appreciated. It's completely anonymous so your boards identity is completely safe...many thanks

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRAv2gSOD_4dJC1tW7ZFDwOnU7fIKjMRhrFH-c9m-e-3fXVQ/viewform

Many thanks for all the help on this...quota of respondents nearly full, with some great suggestions.

Great effort from boardsies....

Thank you

she only went about 6 feet and gave up. some great advice there guys thanks a million. it's one of the things around the place that you just take for granted until it goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

The tractor is starting to give trouble. It is very slow to take off no power in it. Literally your food would be off the clutch before it would start to move. Is it the clutch?

sea12 wrote: »
    The tractor is starting to give trouble. It is very slow to take off no power in it. Literally your food would be off the clutch before it would start to move. Is it the clutch?

Clutch needs adjusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

What’s the going rate for esb poles?
    Getting a few off a lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Belgium has just banned Halal and Kosher slaughter for all animals killed in Belgium. An interesting development.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/424103-belgium-bans-kosher-and-halal-animal-slaughtering-methods

Belgium has just banned Halal and Kosher slaughter for all animals killed in Belgium. An interesting development.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/424103-belgium-bans-kosher-and-halal-animal-slaughtering-methods

Fair play to them

she only went about 6 feet and gave up. some great advice there guys thanks a million. it's one of the things around the place that you just take for granted until it goes wrong.

Ah so it's going but just the 6 feet stops and goes another 6 when you start it again?
    Give the stopper that's on the spring at the box a kick 3 or 4 times fully in and out
    Its stuck
    If it doesn't go fully then,a wire is out,so check the cables,they're dc
    Or the switch is gone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I watched it happen a few times. Very anti-dramatic. One of those things that seems like it shouldn't be allowed but from I saw, a storm in a tea cup. Mind you, the slaughter man knew his job.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Bit of a better start to the year-first calving of the year and it's twins. Boy and girl but separate sacs!! Took a good hour getting them to drink thou and my backs broken!! Kept getting in each other's way-I needed the lift thou so happy days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Ah so it's going but just the 6 feet stops and goes another 6 when you start it again?
    Give the stopper that's on the spring at the box a kick 3 or 4 times fully in and out
    Its stuck
    If it doesn't go fully then,a wire is out,so check the cables,they're dc
    Or the switch is gone

That's proper manly advice there.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

greysides wrote: »
    I watched it happen a few times. Very anti-dramatic. One of those things that seems like it shouldn't be allowed but from I saw, a storm in a tea cup. Mind you, the slaughter man knew his job.

That’s exactly it. A storm in a tea cup

Saw the Iranians do it at the local factory when I was a kid and once the guy with the knife knows what he’s doing then it’s no drama at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Often wondered why we can't do that kind of slaughter here with proper regulations and export the carcasses to islamic countries. Would cut out alot of the problems and bad PR for the industry when images of Irish animals suffering in abbatoirs in the likes of Egypt due to poorly trained staff. I know Ballyhaunis is set up to do it, but is that the only one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Grueller

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Often wondered why we can't do that kind of slaughter here with proper regulations and export the carcasses to islamic countries. Would cut out alot of the problems and bad PR for the industry when images of Irish animals suffering in abbatoirs in the likes of Egypt due to poorly trained staff. I know Ballyhaunis is set up to do it, but is that the only one??

ICM in Camolin too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭148multi

Grueller wrote: »
    ICM in Camolin too

Seen lambs killed that way, there didn't seem to be any issues, one Irish lad with a electric stunner, when the head fell on the floor he stunned it, I asked the vet what's he at, she replied (eu regs, have to stun them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I disagree and I have seen a number of cattle slaughtered (halal) albeit a good few years ago using the turn over box. It is not pleasant to see cattle on their knees with blood gushing/gurgling from their throats struggling along the floor.
    I don't want to get into the cultural/religious debate about it but when in Rome..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Anyone know of a good place to buy a few laying hens in the south east ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good place to buy a few laying hens in the south east ?
    Myshall bring and buy sale near Ballon. It is usually every month but I don't know what dates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement