Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf marketing gone too far!

Options
  • 27-06-2018 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So i'm new to boards but I saw something at the weekend which I just had to share on a public forum as I think it's absolutely disgraceful.

I'm a member of Hollystown Golf Club and am well aware of the talk surrounding our future because of the recent takeover, but for another club to think it was appropriate to come into our car park on a Sunday and place flyers on cars and in our locker rooms promoting their membership was an absolute disgrace!!!

I don't know what golf club committee would have though something like this was a good idea?!?

I wont mention the club but the flyer read ;

"Looking for somewhere new to play your golf?

Try us out for FREE ......."

I know for sure that many of us who found these flyers on our cars on Sunday would rather give up the game than consider joining a "Club" who thinks it's ok to do something like that!

I'd like to think the members of this club are ashamed and embarrassed that their committee would use these sort of tactics.

I'm all for competition and marketing the services offered by Clubs, but there is a line and they've crossed it. Way to make your club look desperate.

Rant over.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Couldn't agree more, shameful promotion. Why don't you report them to the GUI? Are your club taking it further?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leinstergolf

Our club has reported it to the GUI but realistically what will be done about it?We're well aware it could have been a "rogue member" who decided upon his/herself to put them there (and i'm sure that's what they'll say), but the nature of the flyer very much felt it was targeted and made for the specific purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnk16

Wow..... talk about dirty tactics. Name and shame? Intrigued to know what club.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

So i'm new to boards but I saw something at the weekend which I just had to share on a public forum as I think it's absolutely disgraceful.

I'm a member of Hollystown Golf Club and am well aware of the talk surrounding our future because of the recent takeover, but for another club to think it was appropriate to come into our car park on a Sunday and place flyers on cars and in our locker rooms promoting their membership was an absolute disgrace!!!

I don't know what golf club committee would have though something like this was a good idea?!?

I know for sure that many of us who found these flyers on our cars on Sunday would rather give up the game than consider joining a "Club" who thinks it's ok to do something like that!

I'd like to think the members of this club are ashamed and embarrassed that their committee would use these sort of tactics.

I'm all for competition and marketing the services offered by Clubs, but there is a line and they've crossed it. Way to make your club look desperate.

Rant over.

If I remember correctly, Hollystown offered free golf to members of Christy O'Connor GC (who played out of Sillogue) when they were in trouble to entice them to go there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Johnk16 wrote: »
    Wow..... talk about dirty tactics. Name and shame? Intrigued to know what club.....

Under no circumstances is the offending club to be named here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Why?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

I dont see any issue with the club being named, especially if there is a physical evidence of a flyer? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Dbu wrote: »
    I dont see any issue with the club being named, especially if there is a physical evidence of a flyer? No?
    Exactly, complete over reaction. It was a public marketing event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

From a Boards stand point i dont see how people dont see the issue with the club being named. As the OP said it could have been a rogue member who took it upon himself to gather interest without the blessing of the club or the rest of the committee and members. If this was the case then naming the club is not going to do anyone any good in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

kiers47 wrote: »
    From a Boards stand point i dont see how people dont see the issue with the club being named. As the OP said it could have been a rogue member who took it upon himself to gather interest without the blessing of the club or the rest of the committee and members. If this was the case then naming the club is not going to do anyone any good in the slightest.

I'd you'll almost certainly find it was a rogue member, or that's what a club would say. The old "plausible deniability". Part of me thinks there's no way a committee would agree to something like that, and part of me thinks there's no way it could happen without the club knowing.

To be honest its a shocking thing to do, whether officially sanctioned or not, really scraping the bottom of the barrel IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Russman wrote: »
    I'd you'll almost certainly find it was a rogue member, or that's what a club would say. The old "plausible deniability". Part of me thinks there's no way a committee would agree to something like that, and part of me thinks there's no way it could happen without the club knowing.

To be honest its a shocking thing to do, whether officially sanctioned or not, really scraping the bottom of the barrel IMO.

Oh yes it is for sure a deplorable action and whoever sanctioned it should be called out by members of that club. Personally if my club done that id be absolutely disgusted.

However i do agree with Charlie no good can come from the club being "named and shamed" on here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Why?!!
    Dbu wrote: »

What do ye want to do? Go off on a witch hunt of the offending club?
    Next thing the story starts spreading from some lad who read it on boards, stories get distorted but they remember...it was on boards etc. We're not putting our neck on the block here thanks. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Rant over.

if there is speculation that the your clubs land will be developed on, another club has tried to attract new members, don't see what your problem is. Did the other club bye your club or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Golf 247

What do ye want to do? Go off on a witch hunt of the offending club?
    Next thing the story starts spreading from some lad who read it on boards, stories get distorted but they remember...it was on boards etc. We're not putting our neck on the block here thanks. Think about it.

Stop been the over protective father. So what if people want to go on a witch hunt. A despicable act was committed. The norm of society is to go after such ill practice to discourage it from happening again. Bad press deserves bad pr.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golf 247 wrote: »
    Stop been the over protective father. So what if people want to go on a witch hunt. A despicable act was committed. The norm of society is to go after such ill practice to discourage it from happening again. Bad press deserves bad pr.

If you still want to have boards around to have these discussions you might want to try avoid getting the site involved in a slander case

• Registered Users Posts: 82,425 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Advertising flyers
    If you plan to distribute advertising leaflets in the street, you should first check with the local authority to see if there are any local litter restrictions. It is illegal to place advertising leaflets on car windscreens.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/litter_law.html

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

If you still want to have boards around to have these discussions you might want to try avoid getting the site involved in a slander case

You mean defamation. Also, it is not defamation if it is true.

It could also be suggested that because the statement does not name any club directly, that all clubs have been defamed. Funny twist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Golf 247 wrote:

Despicable act?? Give over will you. A business trying to make money. Ohhh the shock horror of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I was pretty shock when I heard about this as Hollystown as change ownership and closing 9 holes but never said they were fully closing down. For a members club to do this is very low and I can’t imagine the members been pleased either.

This action had to be support by the committee of the club due to the steps involved.

I just hope for the club involved, that Hollystown don’t go to war with them as they have very deep pockets compared to the club involved and the new owners of Hollystown and could easily buy the other club and just close it for fun or target their membership.

I reckon this story as loads more to run yet. I believe the GUI are involved but not sure what action they can take seen they are bloody useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I just hope for the club involved, that Hollystown don’t go to war with them as they have very deep pockets compared to the club involved and the new owners of Hollystown and could easily buy the other club and just close it for fun or target their membership.

I reckon this story as loads more to run yet. I believe the GUI are involved but not sure what action they can take seen they are bloody useless.

You've been watching too much Billions tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Golf 247

Despicable act?? Give over will you. A business trying to make money. Ohhh the shock horror of it all.

Every business try’s to make money. Some do it in a tasteful manner, others distasteful. Fact of life. My opinion is this is despicable. If you think otherwise, all credit to your morale standards.

I am expressing my opinion on their policy of profit.

I guess that human trafficking business is ok after all. Hey once they are making money. Go team!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Golf 247 wrote: »

Every business try’s to make money. Some do it in a tasteful manner, others distasteful. Fact of life.  My opinion is this is despicable. If you think otherwise, all credit to your morale standards.

I am expressing my opinion on their policy of profit.

I guess that human trafficking business is ok after all. Hey once they are making money. Go team!
    I think the above bolded bit confirms how off the wall your opinion on this is. Comparing it to human trafficking?
    Crikey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Fairly over protective and dictatorship style ordering of not naming the club. Are you afraid of being sued? All the poster need do it have a flyer and he's protected. Calm down there Charlie lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bailey99 wrote: »
    Fairly over protective and dictatorship style ordering of not naming the club. Are you afraid of being sued? All the poster need do it have a flyer and he's protected. Calm down there Charlie lad.
    How easy is it to produce such a flyer? It could have been done by anyone and to defend a case in court, you'd have to have a bit more evidence than a flyer that may or may not have even been sanctioned by the club concerned. Why would you risk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

prawnsambo wrote: »
    How easy is it to produce such a flyer? It could have been done by anyone and to defend a case in court, you'd have to have a bit more evidence than a flyer that may or may not have even been sanctioned by the club concerned. Why would you risk it?

If I'm correct about the club in question, they have been doing quite a bit of marketing in the area over the last while. I've had 2 (unsolicited) emails from them in the past 10 days inviting me out for a "FREE" game of golf. I used to be a member there, and left in not so great circumstances, so it would be the last place I'd consider playing golf in at the moment to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    If I'm correct about the club in question, they have been doing quite a bit of marketing in the area over the last while. I've had 2 (unsolicited) emails from them in the past 10 days inviting me out for a "FREE" game of golf. I used to be a member there, and left in not so great circumstances, so it would be the last place I'd consider playing golf in at the moment to be honest.
    Well you can ask them to remove you from their mailing list. GDPR and all that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

From conversations I've had with people in the know, it appears that the plan for Hollystown is most certainly not to fold in any way shape or form. At worst, they may loose 9 holes....worst case!

As for the allegations made above, I've now heard the same story from a few sources and totally believe them. Not exactly a neighbouring club either, a good 20-25 minutes drive up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Seve OB wrote: »
    From conversations I've had with people in the know, it appears that the plan for Hollystown is most certainly not to fold in any way shape or form. At worst, they may loose 9 holes....worst case!

As for the allegations made above, I've now heard the same story from a few sources and totally believe them. Not exactly a neighbouring club either, a good 20-25 minutes drive up the road

The 9 holes as already been purchased by CPO by the council for new football pitched for the new schools and some social housing and they are closing the 9 hole this season, that is definite.

The new owners have already reported to the stock market that they want to develop the rest for housing but they need to rezone it first which could take 5 years but they will definitely try to get it rezone and that is also their plan for Castleknock which they also own and also report.

The reason so many members are now leaving is due to lack of consulting with the members before selling out, but it's privately own business and they didn't have too. They also stopped investing in the place during the sale which never helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ollieboy wrote: »
    The 9 holes as already been purchased by CPO by the council for new football pitched for the new schools and some social housing and they are closing the 9 hole this season, that is definite.

The new owners have already reported to the stock market that they want to develop the rest for housing but they need to rezone it first which could take 5 years but they will definitely try to get it rezone and that is also their plan for Castleknock which they also own and also report.

The reason so many members are now leaving is due to lack of consulting with the members before selling out, but it's privately own business and they didn't have too. They also stopped investing in the place during the sale which never helps.

Stories differ. Apparently they have other land in and around the course which they plan to build houses on. Make it kind of like a community. Houses on a golf course will fetch a higher price. In theory makes sense, but maybe wrong location and no offence to hollystown, wrong golf course. They could then look at building on 9 holes. That's more or less what I've heard. Wasn't aware of any cpo re football pitches etc.

Anyway, none of that really matters. What that other club did is rotten to the core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seve OB wrote: »
    Stories differ. Apparently they have other land in and around the course which they plan to build houses on. Make it kind of like a community. Houses on a golf course will fetch a higher price. In theory makes sense, but maybe wrong location and no offence to hollystown, wrong golf course. They could then look at building on 9 holes. That's more or less what I've heard. Wasn't aware of any cpo re football pitches etc.

Anyway, none of that really matters. What that other club did is rotten to the core.

Stories differ but Glenveagh have already given us their story. I would go with the one they've given investors / the stock market.

From Jan of this year. There are plenty of articles out there on it:

"Glenveagh has also signed an unconditional legal contract to acquire a major site in Hollystown, Dublin 15. The 162-acre site is occupied by Hollystown Golf Club who will continue on a business as usual basis, with 19 acres on the site zoned for residential development and the remainder zoned as open space. Glenveagh estimates that it will deliver 200 family homes on the residential development land between 2019 and 2023, subject to planning."

These lads aren't interested in keeping a golf course in Hollystown into the future.

Ollieboy may have further information re a CPO but the rezoning of the golf course for residential was granted in 2016 with on the condition that a GAA pitch and Clubhouse was built on it. I'm not sure why Dublin CoCo would CPO the land if it is was already a condition.

Advertisement