Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted holiday prize

Options
  • 27-06-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi 🙂

Back in January I won a holiday of 10 nights fly drive in California for two people with Virgin atlantic through American Holidays on RTÉ radio one. Myself and my partner booked the holiday for October and thought we could afford it, but we are both students with low income and it has been impossible to save and now with a house move on the cards and higher rent a given, we have decided to sell the holiday as its such a source of stress and financial strain trying to save. The lady in AH we were dealing with said it would cost €696 per person (€1392 total) to change the holiday to someone else's names (they don't do name transfers so the flights would have to be cancelled and rebooked). The holiday is worth roughly €3000 and includes flights, hotels and car hire. Do you think it would be snapped up if we advertised it for €1500? We're having a pretty **** year tbh and it would be a weight off our shoulders to not have to think about this... Any advice on getting rid is welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I dunno just put it up on adverts.ie and give it a go id say

• Registered Users Posts: 23 muffino

jjbrien wrote: »
    I dunno just put it up on adverts.ie and give it a go id say

Yeah I think will have to do that... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Maybe I am reading it wrong but are you saying that the person would have to pay you €1500 and then on top of that pay the €696 per person to change the flights? That would work out at €2892?

Homer wrote: »
    Maybe I am reading it wrong but are you saying that the person would have to pay you €1500 and then on top of that pay the €696 per person to change the flights? That would work out at €2892?

No, not at all, that would be included! The overall amount I'd be asking for is €1500.. Though a friend of mine has just advised me to ask €1800. She works in travel and said that is a bargain still at that? I wouldn't have a clue if I'm honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is it going to cost someone €2892 to take this off your hands? That's quite a lot.

Would it be just spending money you need? Can you both drive? I'd be very tempted in just going if I were you.

If you are selling you might make 800-1000 for yourselves? Try for the higher and see what happens.

Edit: I see you've clarified that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Ah ok my bad.. Yes that would seem to be a good price for someone. But will you only get €108 then after the flight change is paid for out of the €1500!
    Maybe add another hundred on to it? Least you will feel you got something out of it.

Be careful advertising on the likes of adverts and be very up front about the price as you will get lowball idiotic offers on pretty much anything you list on there unless yo specifically state no offers below asking etc.

Best of luck with it and sorry to hear you cant make the use of the holiday yourself. Even with a free holiday to the states you could easily spend 2-3 grand on food and drink alone on the west coast over a 10 day period!

Have you spent any of your own money on this so far?

You are going to a lot of effort to get a hundred euro - are you really bothered trying to arrange this?

Why not just tell them you are not going?
    Is there any cost to that?

Wheety wrote: »
    Is it going to cost someone €2892 to take this off your hands? That's quite a lot.

Would it be just spending money you need? Can you both drive? I'd be very tempted in just going if I were you.

If you are selling you might make 800-1000 for yourselves? Try for the higher and see what happens.

Edit: I see you've clarified that.

No not at all, it would have been 1500 we would be asking altogether but now I've gotten advice to make it around 1800 so that we get something out of it. Yes we do both drive and we have considered all our options and with out situation right now to go would only bring us more stress and pressure, we wouldn't be able to go outside our door for the next 4 months and even at that we would still not have enough in spending money to have a comfortable holiday so I think our only option is selling.

Homer wrote: »
    Ah ok my bad.. Yes that would seem to be a good price for someone. But will you only get €108 then after the flight change is paid for out of the €1500!
    Maybe add another hundred on to it? Least you will feel you got something out of it.

Be careful advertising on the likes of adverts and be very up front about the price as you will get lowball idiotic offers on pretty much anything you list on there unless yo specifically state no offers below asking etc.

Best of luck with it and sorry to hear you cant make the use of the holiday yourself. Even with a free holiday to the states you could easily spend 2-3 grand on food and drink alone on the west coast over a 10 day period!

Yeah a friend of mine working in travel advised me to advertise it for at least 1800 so we would get something a bit substantial from it and someone else would get a good bargain as its worth so much more.. Thanks for the advice on the advertising, and thanks also, it is a pity but thankfully we aren't losing something we've paid for. If I had realised we wouldn't be able to afford going i never would have feckin entered the comp!

Have you spent any of your own money on this so far?

You are going to a lot of effort to get a hundred euro - are you really bothered trying to arrange this?

Why not just tell them you are not going?
    Is there any cost to that?

No we haven't spent anything on it. The cancellation fees would apply still at €200 each which they have my card details so I would be worried about that. I've been advised to put it up for at least 1800 to make something a bit decent from it and at least someone else would still get a good bargain then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement