Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭brickster69

WTO quotas are not a problem in effect. It is not a commitment to purchase a set amount, just that they can if they want. If you look at Beef for example -
    The wholesale price for Beef in South America is 40% less than in Europe. That is without tariffs. 
    The UK only produces 60% so has to import the other 40% to sustain demand. When you look at things like ready meals eg. Lasagne, it all comes from European suppliers which is mostly already made. But it does give advantages for UK firms to import Beef and make their own Lasagne ready meals for domestic use and for export to non EU countries.
    The question is, in these days of big corporations will the 60% homegrown product be protected, profit margins squeezed or slowly evaporate over time ?

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

ambro25 wrote: »
    l
    Where the F are the 48% plus the ( expectedly non-trivial) contingent amongst the 52% who wanted an ‘out but not that far out’ outcome? Still nowhere to be seen.
    In fairness, I think it's apathy due to a) their brutal political class who don't give a damn in general and b) FPTP, both of which mean that people's voice has no value and it's really difficult to achieve any real change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cuba had serious food shortages after collapse of USSR. bad example...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Period#Food_rationing

Well maybe it's a good example of what Britain can expect after it's crash out of the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brick, on the beef, one might need to look up the hormones fed and injected into the SA animals. It really is a different product. If the people of the UK are willing to eat it, fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Meanwhile, Bannon's eurosceptic project has been firmly rejected by Poland's Law and Justice party, who are hardly enthusiastic Europhiles themselves:

https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1022156047614730242

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well thats kinda the rub with nationalist movements, they dont tend to work well in an internationalist alliance. We saw the same with the libertas fiasco what 10 years ago?

I feel old suddenly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    well thats kinda the rub with nationalist movements, they dont tend to work well in an internationalist alliance. We saw the same with the libertas fiasco what 10 years ago?

I feel old suddenly.

I don't think it's this. Bannon was more than happy to support the likes of LePen and Orban. However, Poland has its own history with Russia. Hopping into bed with the likes of Bannon would be seen as a deep betrayal of this history and would be a fatal blow to a party whose appeal is protecting Polish values and heritage.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it's a healthy reminder not to undercook one's gammon.
    trellheim wrote: »
    PS : Bannermans a twit.

Mod: Serious discussion only, please. No more name calling or one liners.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Bonus points for getting the poetic reference:

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1022160801052934150/photo/1

It appears the Greens' proposal for Ireland to be a single European constituency has been ruled out, which presumably also means that NI residents will definitely lose the right to vote for MEPs, as had been debated earlier in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

God I just read a bit of the Express, if they crash out of the EU and trade on WTO terms, austerity will be ended by an 80bn a year boost, and the average household will be 8% better off and the poorest 15% better off. How you can get away with publishing such barefaced lies, I have no idea. This is the only time I have had the misfortune to look at the Express in a long while....
    The proposal for a bold new World Trade Deal would, according to leading economic experts, end austerity with a boost of £80 billion a year and guarantee that Britain is free of Brussels rule.
    According to EFT calculations, the effects on prices and wages mean that average household will gain around eight per cent, while the poorest household will be 15 per cent better off.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/992694/brexit-news-world-trade-deal-uk-eu-chequers-white-paper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

Meanwhile, Bannon's eurosceptic project has been firmly rejected by Poland's Law and Justice party, who are hardly enthusiastic Europhiles themselves:

https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1022156047614730242
    Good news. But PiS are Europhiles in name only as long as the EU pays and as long as they can export millions of people to EEA. Once they become a net contributors to the EU funds, I wouldn't bet on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Inquitus wrote: »
    God I just read a bit of the Express, if they crash out of the EU and trade on WTO terms, austerity will be ended by an 80bn a year boost, and the average household will be 8% better off and the poorest 15% better off. How you can get away with publishing such barefaced lies, I have no idea. This is the only time I have had the misfortune to look at the Express in a long while....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/992694/brexit-news-world-trade-deal-uk-eu-chequers-white-paper

Lie on page one, retract on page 16

However in this case, the real liars are the biased think tank peddling this fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is the only time I have had the misfortune to look at the Express in a long while...

You're missing out.
    The Express is a great read. You can leave the real world behind for a little while and escape into an alternative universe where everything works differently.

It must be great to be a journalist there, unconstrained by facts or the truth. But the best job is the guy who writes the headlines. The basic rule is that two words need to be bolded, but it doesn't matter which two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Early stages of talks but the social aid package to farmers shows that the administration is feeling the pinch. Barriers to trade will remain up, no matter what Trump says due to below quality American produce but 0% tariffs into the US would be a big deal. Especially for Ireland.

Obviously early days and who knows what Trump will do tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A comprehensive EU US deal (if it appears) is a massive setback to the UK Brexit model for success, especially with the EU having wrapped up the Japan deal recently. At the same time, we hear some of the brexiteer banking execs insisting the City of London will remain vital 'just cos'. Super strategy.

If I was in big business in the UK, or indeed the employee of a firm with global export scope, my blood would be running cold about now.

BBC News chasing Aaron Banks source of funds. Where did the money for the Leave Campaign come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Leroy42 wrote: »

Well they look to be trying to outclass the others in the delusional idiot championships.

• Advertisement

ITV News showing Juncker in the WH, then ask Liam Fox about him not being in the WH. Made him look like a two bit salesman.
    Feeling both BBC and ITV are getting more bolshie with the Brexiteers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

More on the economics of NI.
    At partition 80% of the industrial output on this island came from just three Northern counties. Today the Republic has ten times the output of the North.
    research-on-northern-ireland-income-and-expenditure
    https://senatormarkdaly.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/research-on-northern-ireland-income-and-expenditure.pdf

Compared to the rest of the UK, NI gets more spending on ( £ per capita pa)
    Public order and safety 300
    Agriculture, fisheries and forestry 208
    Housing and community amenities 267
    Social protection 762

Some of this attracts more EU funds than the UK is likely to match.

NI contributes 2.5% of the UK economy. This is why the UK can subsidise it. This is why the EU can offer special exemptions, but also why rest of the UK can't piggy back the entire country into this exception.

Another thought, lots of state land in NI, things like military bases and surplus PSNI stations could sold off when the NI economy starts to grow again as part of the dividend of reunification. Not much but it eats into the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

After being turned down in Poland, Boris is reportedly meeting up with Bannon

https://twitter.com/StevePeers/status/1022214163786084352?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Another thought, lots of state land in NI, things like military bases and surplus PSNI stations could sold off when the NI economy starts to grow again as part of the dividend of reunification. Not much but it eats into the costs.

Many of these sites have already been sold off.

But the 2.5% of UK government property in central London should raise a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,593 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

McGiver wrote: »
    Good news. But PiS are Europhiles in name only as long as the EU pays and as long as they can export millions of people to EEA. Once they become a net contributors to the EU funds, I wouldn't bet on them.
    Well, it's a little bit more that that. PiS also see Poland's membership of the EU as a valuable counterweight to Russian influence.

Besides, all you're really saying here is that PiS values EU membership for the benefits it confers on Poland. Well, duh. You worry about what happens when Poland becomes a net contributor but, realistically, this is not going to happen for a long time. And the other benefit that you reckon PiS appreciates, free movement, is of course permanent.

Phoebas wrote: »
    You're missing out.
    The Express is a great read. You can leave the real world behind for a little while and escape into an alternative universe where everything works differently.
    . . . and everyone is always angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,832 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bloomberg reporting that the Irish sea border is on the table as the backstop option and that Northern Ireland might have to accept EU rules and diverge from UK.

U.K. Weighs Contentious Brexit Plan for Irish Border

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-25/u-k-is-said-to-weigh-contentious-brexit-plan-for-irish-border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bloomberg reporting that the Irish sea border is on the table as the backstop option and that Northern Ireland might have to accept EU rules and diverge from UK.

U.K. Weighs Contentious Brexit Plan for Irish Border

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-25/u-k-is-said-to-weigh-contentious-brexit-plan-for-irish-border

Bloomberg reported after Chequers that Barnier was being pressured by EU leaders into lending it a sympathetic ear. I don’t think they’ve been great on Brexit recently

I think Bloomberg was correct - the UK did want the EU not to be too instantly dismissive of the Chequers proposals, since they needed some time to try to get buy-in domestically. And Barnier, etc, responded to that by not saying that, as a final position, Chequers wouldn't fly (which it wouldn't) and instead welcoming it as a move forward by the UK, signalling a willingness to get real, etc, but implicitly treating Chequers as a point from which to negotiation, rather than as a bottom line beyond which there could be no negotiation.

Bloomberg, in my experience, has generally been pretty good in its Brexit reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

If we do take on NI as part of the CUSM, this us going to mean an Irish Sea border regarding Europe as well, isn't it?

We are not going to be able to prevent UK goods getting into RoI, which indicates to me that all-island exports are going to need to be checked.

Still better than the alternative, but I don't see a way around that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement