Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Water John wrote: »
    Dominic Grieve would be a good National Government PM. Highly unlikely to happen.
    Sad fact as said above the vast majority of MPs would support a soft Brexit.

The majority of MPs don't want any kind of Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭Enzokk

bilston wrote: »
    It's her own making because she called a General Election and messed it up. But even before that election she had a wafer thin majority so may have faced the same problems.

The General Election call was a later mistake. The first mistake was probably her choice of cabinet. They are a pitiful bunch who has either been shown to be liars (Johnson), lazy (Davis) or just incompetent (Grayling). The fact that she chose these people to sit in her cabinet says a lot.

Then the next mistake was setting out her red lines that will not be crossed. She boxed herself in here and unless she was going to make herself look like a fool by crossing her own red lines she was setting the UK up for a hard Brexit with economic hardship.

Then we have her triggering article 50 before she actually had a strategy or plan for the negotiations. Only then did she make another fatal mistake by calling the election. So she has made mistake after mistake after mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Hats off to Macron for calling out the charlatans who campaigned for Brexit. Too bad it took a foreign leader calling out what Brexit was for the newspapers to print it for people to see it on paper.

DnkSUU6W0AEnVym.jpg

Dnjv7tPW4AciSmZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sky News political editor also suggesting today could end May's premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So they'll get Boris???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Macron was brilliant today. A harsh dose of direct plain speaking reality. Such a shame to see the UK succumb to this nonsense but they soon will cease to be our problem. Ireland will survive this stupidity, the UK will not.

Today wouldn't have played this way if TM hadn't overcooked her luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For any gambling minded folks, a 2018 exit date for her is still available at around 5/1.
    Personally I still think she'll limp on into 2019 but it's tempting at 5/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    Today wouldn't have played this way if TM hadn't overcooked her luck.

Today wouldn't have played out this way if the British government had anything resembling a bit of cop on and realism. Those quotes in the post with the macron headline sum the British attitude up. They had these lovely visions in their heads pre vote about how wonderful it would all go. Unfortunately reality in many parts of life is very different to the vision of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

bilston wrote: »
    Yep, that's probably the best option. But it may already be too late. To do that Britain would have to request to delay Brexit, and the EU would have to agree.

Britain needs to be very careful that inertia doesn't build behind EU member states wanting a no-deal Brexit. How long before the Italians or Spanish start winking at Nissan/Honda/Airbus/Land Rover?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

How long before the Italians or Spanish start winking at Nissan/Honda/Airbus/Land Rover?
    Before??

How long since, more like. If I were Leo Varadkar I'd be flinging cash at the car manufacturers to open a plant in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is anyone watching Question Time? The delusion is staggering. The audience enthusiastically clapping the prospect of No Deal. "It won't be the end of the world".

And it wasn't in this version of the brexit thread but it's one of them where I said that this notion I'd heard from some that we needed to be nice to the British in the brexit process. My response was to ask why ? We the Republic of Ireland can still have close ties to the UK because we have a common history but to suggest that we need to be kind to them and bend the knee. The British decided to leave not us. The Irish border issue is for the government of the UK to sort out. It is not for us to sort out.

Is anyone watching Question Time? The delusion is staggering. The audience enthusiastically clapping the prospect of No Deal. "It won't be the end of the world".

No I won't be the end of the world but it's not going to be bloody good. But you know what if the majority of the British public seem blinded by their love for brexit then off with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Imagine that, she was so fragile that all it took to topple her was for another leader to speak the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Question time is crazy. Can't they see what's happening. Talking about another election to get a mandate to get a deal with the Eu.

People also saying that only now they understand the eu. Mental stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

"The people voted for Brexit and Brexit is what they should receive" - deluded Englishwoman in Question Time crowd

Greeted with raucous clapping in the audience. They deserve their fate unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,561 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Isn't it amazing how people who vote for brexit are so stuck in there ways and they know it will hurt their country but they just can't imagine staying in Europe.

they rather bite the hand that feeds them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    "The people voted for Brexit and Brexit is what they should receive" - deluded Englishwoman in Question Time crowd

Greeted with raucous clapping in the audience. They deserve their fate unfortunately.

I'm beginning to think a no deal crash out is all that will get them to see the lies that have been sold to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

QT is not representable of the folk in the UK

Granted, there are a lot of deluded folk but there are also a lot of folk who are appalled at how the politicians in Westminster are performing

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for the North being left to deal with the fallout of their selfishness. They really don't give a monkey's.

Any chance I wonder of a border poll in the near future to save NI from sinking with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Nothing like an episode of Question Time to make you despair for Britain. It's like watching Rome burn. Except as least the Romans had an empire.

Meanwhile the lads in my London office are eyeing up their first house purchase. Time to buy apparently. It's like a real life version of that game Lemmings.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Yup. I said it ages ago somewhat glibly but as said on this thread they've gone the route many go when they're conned and have turned inwards. They weren't sold a pup, it's not our fault, it's someone else's fault. It's amazing to watch from the other side to be honest.

CptMackey wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think a no deal crash out is all that will get them to see the lies that have been sold to them.

They still won't accept it. It won't be their fault, it'll be an outside agent. Sabotage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Yup. I said it ages ago somewhat glibly but as said on this thread they've gone the route many go when they're conned and have turned inwards. They weren't sold a pup, it's not our fault, it's someone else's fault. It's amazing to watch from the other side to be honest.
    Yup. Cognitive dissonance on an epic scale.

She was told ages ago by the EU that Chequers wouldn't fly. She kept pushing it blindly. That isn't negotiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Interestingly I got told a few times in sf over the past week that they hear Ireland will leave the EU.

Was mostly from lefty type who I doubt pay much heed to Fox news and their ilk. I never tracked down the source of their misinformation.

They were happy when I assured them that it was not a likely thing to happen.

Anyone see this from the political editor of the Sunday Times...

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1042812796193447938

Will be interesting to see how the DUP are treated in the coming weeks.

I feel sorry for the North being left to deal with the fallout of their selfishness. They really don't give a monkey's.

Any chance I wonder of a border poll in the near future to save NI from sinking with them?

I can't understand the way the unionists seem to cling to their union with the U.K. come what may. The north costs the U.K. a fortune and I'd say it would live to find a way for them to drop it and let it go out on its own(which the north couldn't do) I mean the north voted as an area to stay in the EU. I hope their isn't a border again but I mean the EU can't have an open border between the EU and a non EU member which is what the UK and Northern Ireland would be come march next year. The deal aspect is so that it's not a disaster of a breakup.

• Advertisement

This Week BBC very good tonight. Quality discussion, no noise. Canada or Norway deal with a few twists, depending how near or far from the EU, that UK wants to end up. TM has to choose which she goes for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement