Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where can this be watched?

It's done.

It was like an episode of Black Mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUnAGAakzt4

At the time of this post, go back 8 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Comedy Central, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

I must have missed the bit where, according to Faisal Islam, May hinted at allowing the NI Assembly to vote on regulatory divergence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

briany wrote: »
    I must have missed the bit where, according to Faisal Islam, May hinted at allowing the NI Assembly to vote on regulatory divergence.

She mentioned no new regulatory barriers between NI and GB without NI assembly/executive approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So its a hard exit and she is trying to lay all the blame with the EU. She has basically said we will not do a deal with anything we do not like and you can't do the same. She will need to talk with her own foreign office in relation to the last part about the people in the EU working in Britain. I can tell you my brother in Scotland is not feeling assured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This just confirms what we already knew: her overriding objective is to retain her position as PM for as long as possible. This is a diatribe aimed firmly at an Internal audience, trying to portray herself as strong and capable of playing chicken with the EU. Chequers is fantastical nonsense, but purely for the purposes of the Conservative party she is obliged to ride it the whole way into oblivion. This will angle the conversation in the right wing / conservative press back to how she's the 'great survivor' blah, blah. Her only aim is to get beyond her party conference. Then get beyond November, then get to Brexit day and so on and so on.

So long as she's PM she's winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Penn wrote: »
    Child: I want crisps for dinner
    Mother: You can't have crisps for dinner
    Child: I have put forward my offer and it's now up to you to change your stance on it.

And that was basically her speech.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    what she's saying here is entirely for the home audience

Exactly. Some editors on Sky News seemed to sup it up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    She mentioned no new regulatory barriers between NI and GB without NI assembly/executive approval.

Which the DUP will not allow to happen. No NI assembly without the DUP and no agreement to diverge without an assembly. So there goes that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I called it many months ago and I'll simply repeat myself; hard brexit via crash out due to incompetence rather than desire. Keep in mind hard crash out has many more consequences that even the UK government has confirmed such as:
    • No planes lifting from UK airports
    • No fishing that can be unloaded in EU ports
    • No food or agri products coming over (sanitary requirements not recognised until minimum 6 months wait)
    • Only 1000 UK truck drivers allowed on the continent (that's the number of licenses assigned to the UK)
    • Mandatory checks on every truck leaving the UK with goods
    • etc.

• Advertisement

So its a hard exit and she is trying to lay all the blame with the EU.

Not entirely true. Will probably keep a little blame for 'those bloody remainers', as well.

Enzokk wrote: »
    She is pissed at being humiliated yesterday. She is also an idiot. She still thinks the EU hasn't said what the issues are. But her sentence before this was about respecting that the EU cannot accept anything that will threaten the EU just as the EU cannot expect the UK to accept a border between NI and GB.

So she knows the EU cannot compromise on the four pillars, but that is exactly what she is asking for. She has lost it.

You got it in 1. She knows where this is heading and she need to blame others

gooch2k9 wrote: »

The assembly which isn't currently sitting, and even if it was, the leading party's position is that they don't want any divergence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well we all said that getting into bed with the DUP would end in tears and off they went and did just that!

Not entirely true. Will probably keep a little blame for 'those bloody remainers', as well.

For the general election that will be coming we could be seeing a split in the party

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Just watching May's statement on Sky, with a little icon in the corner of the screen showing the £ in freefall as she spoke.

I am struggling to see how anything resembling a deal could be reached after Salzburg and her update a few minutes ago..

"If the EU believe I will, they are making a fundamental mistake." (sea border)

It's not a mistake. It's the EU trying to do something... Something at all.

Nody wrote: »
    I called it many months ago and I'll simply repeat myself; hard brexit via crash out due to incompetence rather than desire. Keep in mind hard crash out has many more consequences that even the UK government has confirmed such as:
    • No planes lifting from UK airports
    • No fishing that can be unloaded in EU ports
    • No food or agri products coming over (sanitary requirements not recognised until minimum 6 months wait)
    • Only 1000 UK truck drivers allowed on the continent (that's the number of licenses assigned to the UK)
    • Mandatory checks on every truck leaving the UK with goods
    • etc.

Sort of what Ivan Rogers said as well. We will walk into a no-deal because of the people involved and their stances more than because they want it.

I get the feeling this will be some game of chicken by both sides. The EU shot the first shot across the bow of the UK yesterday to try and shake them out of their impasse, but this may have stirred them to get ready for no-deal. This in turn ramps up the EU preparations as well and before we know it both sides are so far along with no-deal plans they will not look at a deal.

I still want to know, will the UK break their international agreement on the GFA in the event of a no-deal?

The Irish government and industry must now start looking at deals with other countries to be strengthened. We are going to find out how been over dependent on 1 country is a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Sort of what Ivan Rogers said as well. We will walk into a no-deal because of the people involved and their stances more than because they want it.

I get the feeling this will be some game of chicken by both sides. The EU shot the first shot across the bow of the UK yesterday to try and shake them out of their impasse, but this may have stirred them to get ready for no-deal. This in turn ramps up the EU preparations as well and before we know it both sides are so far along with no-deal plans they will not look at a deal.

I still want to know, will the UK break their international agreement on the GFA in the event of a no-deal?

Pretty much by default, yes. Two customs regimes on the island with no compromise between = hard border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

The Irish government and industry must now start looking at deals with other countries to be strengthened. We are going to find out how been over dependent on 1 country is a bad thing

We're a lot less so than we used to be, although it is going to be painful anyway. If we were still in the 80s or early 90s it would be catastrophic vs merely disastrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So basically, "This is everything we want because a slight majority of our population thought we might be able to get it and it's up to the EU to tell us how we can get it"

I think most people knew Brexit would be a clusterf*ck since the referendum was passed, but it's been absolutely shambolic in how they've handled it, and has only kept getting worse as time has gone on. It's almost certainly No Deal at this stage.

Rhineshark wrote: »
    We're a lot less so than we used to be, although it is going to be painful anyway. If we were still in the 80s or early 90s it would be catastrophic vs merely disastrous.

True its not that bad but when there is ever anything about Irish industry post brexit and it always 60%+ to Britain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭cml387

Let's not all get carried away.
    This just the press conference she wishes she gave yesterday.
    Let her get past the Tory conference and then things will settle down again.

I am struggling to see how anything resembling a deal could be reached after Salzburg and her update a few minutes ago..

"If the EU believe I will, they are making a fundamental mistake." (sea border)

It's not a mistake. It's the EU trying to do something... Something at all.

It's a game of chicken, and right now I can't tell who's bluffing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Asmooh wrote: »
    Sorry.
    People from the Republic who are living in the UK and keep saying that NI is IRE instead of recognizing its actually just the UK.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Brexit: May says EU must present alternative proposals
    Student : Where's my homework ? Well I didn't do part of it and the parts of it I did you said where not acceptable.
    Teacher : Yes so what does mean you should do now?
    Student : You need do it for me !

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/brexit-may-says-eu-must-present-alternative-proposals-1.3636815

cml387 wrote: »
    Let's not all get carried away.
    This just the press conference she wishes she gave yesterday.
    Let her get past the Tory conference and then things will settle down again.

Who will be humiliated later on when they are moving from their position that they cannot move from? Will the EU be the ones to loosen the pillars for a third country?

Or will the UK and Theresa May back down from her position that she is so adamant that she will not move from?

It's a game of chicken, and right now I can't tell who's bluffing.

Well it's a game of chicken between a car and a lorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Who will be humiliated later on when they are moving from their position that they cannot move from? Will the EU be the ones to loosen the pillars for a third country?

Or will the UK and Theresa May back down from her position that she is so adamant that she will not move from?

May won't back down. If ever she was going to do that, it would have been half an hour ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement